Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't know what any of those words mean but he does sound right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Reply with your favorite football position/role. Obviously mine is 'mediocentro', but central winger is also quality.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

ronniegardocki posted:

Reply with your favorite football position/role. Obviously mine is 'mediocentro', but central winger is also quality.

Dutch 9 Fixed Pivot

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

trem_two posted:

Kamara is a prototypical volante that is able to disrupt the opponent's second/third phase. However he is unable to function as mediocentro. Kamara can also be described as an 'ön libero' in the mold of George Boateng, however he cannot mark two angles at once like Cambiasso 09/10. For me he is best deployed in an asymmetrical 442, what we in the business like to call the 'rhombus', alongside an interior and a shuttle.

Is this a post about Kei Kamara? We in the business?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

ronniegardocki posted:

offensive line

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ronniegardocki posted:

"the quarterback role"

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is this a post about Kei Kamara? We in the business?

http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/glen-kamara

And after that analysis, Arsenal promptly went out and lost 3-0 to Sheffield Wednesday.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

ronniegardocki posted:

False 6

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

English False 6 or European False 6?

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 6, 2015

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

trem_two posted:

And after that analysis, Arsenal promptly went out and lost 3-0 to Sheffield Wednesday.

lol its even better that its a nobody kid

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Hahahaha I assumed it was about Kei as well. This makes it even better.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Blue Star Error posted:

Dutch 9 Fixed Pivot

This sounds like something from the viz profanisaurus

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tsaedje posted:

English False 6 or European False 6?

South American regista-like false 6

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

South American regista-like false 6
Sweeper Poacher

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Inverted center back

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Inverted false 1

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
gegenpressenfuhrer

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So as an American who watches the Premier League and Champions league every week from his comfortable couch, I've never understood why fans are so hateful sometimes. I get it, they're hardcore, just like me. I scream when Arsenal scores even though I usually watch games alone. However, I've never understood why fans boo THEIR OWN PLAYERS AND TEAM. Like okay, maybe they made a mistake, but is it really necessary to bring your own team down like that? Gee, I think it's even harsh when they boo the other team. This weekend, I was horrified to hear my fellow Gooners over at the Emirates booing Giroud for his first-half performance against Sunderland. He's one of the best strikers in the Premier league, he works so hard, and that's how you repay him? England isn't the only country guilty of this (even though they are pretty bad about it), I've seen this kind of stuff all over the Champions League too. I live in St. Louis, and every time I go to a Cardinals game, the fans are super polite. For example: The Cardinals and the Cubs are bitter rivals, and once I was at a Cubs vs. Cardinals game. Jason Mott, who had previously won the World Series with the Cardinals, had signed for the Cubs the previous year. When he was brought on IN THE CARDINAL'S HOME STADIUM, he was clapped and cheered by everyone in the stands. I just don't understand why Europeans are so hateful sometimes. It's just a sport.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

PirateBob posted:

So as an American who watches the Premier League and Champions league every week from his comfortable couch, I've never understood why fans are so hateful sometimes. I get it, they're hardcore, just like me. I scream when Arsenal scores even though I usually watch games alone. However, I've never understood why fans boo THEIR OWN PLAYERS AND TEAM. Like okay, maybe they made a mistake, but is it really necessary to bring your own team down like that? Gee, I think it's even harsh when they boo the other team. This weekend, I was horrified to hear my fellow Gooners over at the Emirates booing Giroud for his first-half performance against Sunderland. He's one of the best strikers in the Premier league, he works so hard, and that's how you repay him? England isn't the only country guilty of this (even though they are pretty bad about it), I've seen this kind of stuff all over the Champions League too. I live in St. Louis, and every time I go to a Cardinals game, the fans are super polite. For example: The Cardinals and the Cubs are bitter rivals, and once I was at a Cubs vs. Cardinals game. Jason Mott, who had previously won the World Series with the Cardinals, had signed for the Cubs the previous year. When he was brought on IN THE CARDINAL'S HOME STADIUM, he was clapped and cheered by everyone in the stands. I just don't understand why Europeans are so hateful sometimes. It's just a sport.
There's no way this dude has ever been to a live sporting event if he really thinks that fans in the U.S. don't ever boo their own players.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why are they always Arsenal fans?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

peanut- posted:

It's the ideal club for american hipsters

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

peanut- posted:

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

PirateBob posted:

#YouAintNoGoonerBruv

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Why are we bombing ISIS? If we want to stop them attacking surely the best solution is to find a way to put Van Gaal in charge of them.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Big Taff Man posted:

Why are we bombing ISIS? If we want to stop them attacking surely the best solution is to find a way to put Van Gaal in charge of them.
Pretty good

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

It wa my favourite line from this weeks Traffordcast

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

The wrongest thread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's always arsenal fans

I found a great quote when I, without any goal, just lazily googled around (which I too often do). Do you want to hear? No? I'll tell it anyway, and I do it with joy: "This world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel".

Why is it good? Why has the British writer Horace Walpole, who has been dead for a couple of hundred years, managed to capture my interest? Because the quote rings true. At least for me. The more I think, the easier I have to see the humor in Arsène Wenger's nervousness. The more I feel, the easier I become annoyed with those who see the humor in Arsene Wenger's nervousness.

Football and love are two areas where I more often feel rather than think, where I take strange decision, and reach emotional states that I didn’t know I had. This means that I suffer when I watch my Arsenal, with other people who don’t care as much as I do. Those who think instead of feel. Those who laughs when Per Mertesacker slip, those who mock Mikel Arteta perfect hairstyle. Right there and then, I hate these people enormously.

I think I have come to the realization that there will always be this way: that I will always be an emotional wreck when Arsenal play. I don’t know if it is always healthy, but I have a feeling that it sometimes can be useful to switch between emotions - to exploit the full emotional spectrum, which can often be severely underutilized in human beings. When the match is over, the grieving process begins, but during the game all feelings are allowed. Even crying (when Thierry Henry made his comeback for Arsenal in January 2012 and scored against Leeds in the FA Cup tears came, totally unexpected, which I don’t seem entirely comfortable with telling you guys, so therefore it pops up in this parenthesis rather than in the real text).

I know how non-football people, "normal" people, look at this. They think I'm ridiculous. But I think like this: if you have children, you understand how other parents are feeling. Right? And when your child, a little bit clumsy, walks into a door and starts crying, you obviously don’t laugh even though you from on an intellectual viewpoint can see the humor in the situation (and perhaps wish that you had captured the incident on video and could send it to one of these bloopers shows on TV). It works exactly the same way with football supporters. And I don’t mean supporters like my brother that once every six months watch a match with Liverpool, and only discuss them when they are playing like they did the spring 2014. He’s a non-committed dad in that way. He doesn’t care about the team's development, crises, all the interesting stuff that only one who looks really carefully can see – he just want to be part of the fun when there is fun to be part of. He isn’t like many of us who have daily contact with our children, i.e. our favorite club; we who update us about injuries, and watch all sorts of interviews to get a better feel for how the atmosphere is among the players. We, the committed parents (I really don’t think I can stretch this analogy further now…).

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said: “Nothing is better or worse than the other”. But I always try to argue for friends, family, and really every person I encounter, the interesting thing that happens when you truly surrenders to a team; to this strange emotional roller coaster, where you let a bunch of strangers decide how you will feel in the near future. I know how that sounds, it sounds so drat irrational.

But that's also the beauty of loving a team: to decide that at least once a week to feel rather than think; not to reflect or ridicule the feelings that arise, but just dive into the sensations that occur when Olivier Giroud receive the ball with a too heavy touch and see where they take you.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

jre posted:

It's the ideal club for american hipsters

american computer janitors

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Homework Explainer posted:

it's always arsenal fans

I found a great quote when I, without any goal, just lazily googled around (which I too often do). Do you want to hear? No? I'll tell it anyway, and I do it with joy: "This world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel".

Why is it good? Why has the British writer Horace Walpole, who has been dead for a couple of hundred years, managed to capture my interest? Because the quote rings true. At least for me. The more I think, the easier I have to see the humor in Arsène Wenger's nervousness. The more I feel, the easier I become annoyed with those who see the humor in Arsene Wenger's nervousness.

Football and love are two areas where I more often feel rather than think, where I take strange decision, and reach emotional states that I didn’t know I had. This means that I suffer when I watch my Arsenal, with other people who don’t care as much as I do. Those who think instead of feel. Those who laughs when Per Mertesacker slip, those who mock Mikel Arteta perfect hairstyle. Right there and then, I hate these people enormously.

I think I have come to the realization that there will always be this way: that I will always be an emotional wreck when Arsenal play. I don’t know if it is always healthy, but I have a feeling that it sometimes can be useful to switch between emotions - to exploit the full emotional spectrum, which can often be severely underutilized in human beings. When the match is over, the grieving process begins, but during the game all feelings are allowed. Even crying (when Thierry Henry made his comeback for Arsenal in January 2012 and scored against Leeds in the FA Cup tears came, totally unexpected, which I don’t seem entirely comfortable with telling you guys, so therefore it pops up in this parenthesis rather than in the real text).

I know how non-football people, "normal" people, look at this. They think I'm ridiculous. But I think like this: if you have children, you understand how other parents are feeling. Right? And when your child, a little bit clumsy, walks into a door and starts crying, you obviously don’t laugh even though you from on an intellectual viewpoint can see the humor in the situation (and perhaps wish that you had captured the incident on video and could send it to one of these bloopers shows on TV). It works exactly the same way with football supporters. And I don’t mean supporters like my brother that once every six months watch a match with Liverpool, and only discuss them when they are playing like they did the spring 2014. He’s a non-committed dad in that way. He doesn’t care about the team's development, crises, all the interesting stuff that only one who looks really carefully can see – he just want to be part of the fun when there is fun to be part of. He isn’t like many of us who have daily contact with our children, i.e. our favorite club; we who update us about injuries, and watch all sorts of interviews to get a better feel for how the atmosphere is among the players. We, the committed parents (I really don’t think I can stretch this analogy further now…).

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said: “Nothing is better or worse than the other”. But I always try to argue for friends, family, and really every person I encounter, the interesting thing that happens when you truly surrenders to a team; to this strange emotional roller coaster, where you let a bunch of strangers decide how you will feel in the near future. I know how that sounds, it sounds so drat irrational.

But that's also the beauty of loving a team: to decide that at least once a week to feel rather than think; not to reflect or ridicule the feelings that arise, but just dive into the sensations that occur when Olivier Giroud receive the ball with a too heavy touch and see where they take you.

close the thread, this is it.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

it's always arsenal fans

Rereading any line of this makes me laugh again

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

it's always arsenal fans

Not in a million years could this have been from anything other than an Arsenal fan.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
rename me "non-committed scouse dad"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

it's always arsenal fans

Was this the dude from grantland, or deadspin

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's the most asperger hing i have ever read, especially when he tries to talk about "feelings" like a normal person

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jason Sextro posted:

i have some good news for everyone, there's an entire book of these

http://www.amazon.com/Want-Be-Like-J%C3%BCrgen-Klopp-ebook/dp/B017GBLFYA

quote:

Journalist Oscar Oberg loves football. And philosophy. And stand up comedy. Suddenly, he was struck by an intriguing insight that haunted him for a while: ”These things belong together. Let’s mix them into the sexiest coctail ever." This book is the result.

Oscar ventured deeply into some of the weirdest corners of his brain, accompanied by some of the sharpest minds ever (Alan Watts, Simone de Beauvoir, Louis CK, his sceptical cousin Kalle, just to name a few). In the 41 essays that came out of this daring journey, he now want to share with you his understanding of the spiritual side of football.

After reading this book you will know what George Costanza has to do with high pressure teams like Bayern Münich. You will also understand why Fantasy Fotball makes you a more empathetic person. And you will finally accept that a quote from Marty Klein’s book Sexual Intelligence may actually help you to understand Emmanuel Adebayor. Just to mention a few of the many revelations waiting for you.

Oscar will never look at football the same way again.

Neither will you

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 7, 2015

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

Its from the same reddit poster's self published book, I Want to be Like Jurgen Klopp, which I might just get myself for Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/Want-Be-Like-J%C3%BCrgen-Klopp-ebook/dp/B017GBLFYA

E: beaten

E: please someone name me 'sexiest coctail ever'

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm reading excerpts and i am definitely going to buy it, it'll be fodder for this thread for the next ten years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

How the hell does that book have four-star and five-star reviews?