Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Why would SquareEnix worry about the FFVII remake being rated M when it's target audience is the people who played the original and never shut up about it being the best game ever. The people who have been asking for this game are in their mid-to-late 20s, at least.

E: beaten like a dead horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kanfy posted:

But like I said it's most likely going to be toned down a bit as it's hard to make it work the same way when you're trying to be realistic, although I hope they'll find at least some way to show the hosed up state Cloud is in.

So going back to Crisis Core, the handling of Zack's death makes it pretty clear how Square will lean on the remake's direction. In the original they stand over his body and riddle him with holes point blank. He dies instantly and Cloud just takes his sword and cries into the sky.

In Crisis Core he's shot in first person and has a heroic final speech before ascending into heaven. I've really forgotten how odd the tone is in FF7.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Why would SquareEnix worry about the FFVII remake being rated M when it's target audience is the people who played the original and never shut up about it being the best game ever. The people who have been asking for this game are in their mid-to-late 20s, at least.

Because they hope it doesn't just sell to people who played a game 20 years ago. I fully admit it's a pointless thing for a gamer to care about, it doesn't mean a drat thing to me, but I can understand it meaning something to Square Enix and why they would alter the tone and content of the game especially now that I'm thinking about it in hindsight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kanfy posted:

FFVII was immediately trending worldwide on Twitter after yesterday's trailer, I think you might be slightly underestimating how many people are interested in that thing.

Lots of people in their late 20's/30's use Twitter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7 getting an M rating doesn't matter because the only people interested in it are in their late 20's/30's now

ff7 has plenty of teenage fans actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

go look at tumblr sometime, there're still plenty of teenagers drawing bad cloud/sephiroth fanart, the only difference is they got into the franchise through kingdom hearts

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

al-azad posted:

Because they hope it doesn't just sell to people who played a game 20 years ago. I fully admit it's a pointless thing for a gamer to care about, it doesn't mean a drat thing to me, but I can understand it meaning something to Square Enix and why they would alter the tone and content of the game especially now that I'm thinking about it in hindsight.

But you're not making sense. You think being rated M is a death mark on a game, when most triple-A games (and super sellers at that) are rated M. Staying T does nothing other than some notion that SE are honorable bushidos that must keep the same rating.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If you're a teenaged Final Fantasy fan today, I don't see any reason at all why the FF7 remake wouldn't look appealing to you regardless of your knowledge of or nostalgia for the original game. Honestly it looks quite a lot like FF15. The fact that it has this mystique of being a remake of an ultra popular classic that is probably too aged to really enjoy today only adds to its appeal for younger fans. The apparent changes to the battle system alone seem like a fair sign that they are trying to make the game have broad appeal, not just cater it to adult fans of the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seriously there is so much fanart of cloud and leon making out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, did anyone mention Phantom Brave is coming to PC?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

go look at tumblr sometime, there're still plenty of teenagers drawing bad cloud/sephiroth fanart, the only difference is they got into the franchise through kingdom hearts

I don't like this implication that I'm a teen

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lots of people in their late 20's/30's use Twitter

Sure, but it's still one of the most well-known games in one of the most well-known franchises that has constantly been brought back in some form, it's not like it's been lying dormant for the last couple of decades and only people who played it back then know what it is. Odds are practically 100% that if you're into JRPGs, regardless of your age, you've at the very least heard about that game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why would teenage girls be interested in this game about a sexy dude with a ton of emotional baggage? especially teenage girls that grew up with kingdom hearts?

why would teenage boys be interested in this game about a cool dude with a big sword who hangs out with at least two, possibly three hot girls and has a cool black friend with a gun arm

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tae posted:

But you're not making sense. You think being rated M is a death mark on a game, when most triple-A games (and super sellers at that) are rated M. Staying T does nothing other than some notion that SE are honorable bushidos that must keep the same rating.

I do not think that. I do think Square thinks that. And the tone of everything mainline Final Fantasy speaks to that. I am surprised, looking in hindsight, how absolutely different FF7 is to everything else in the series and I totally think Square will tone some of those moments down.

But as long as there's still an extended fetch quest to dress up as the prettiest lady I'm in so the rest of the game can be Kingdom Hearts for all I care.

e: I vaguely remember someone in this thread linking to a Neogaf post about one of the writers being a total perv. This was in relation to Marlene's panties being an unused item in the game and there is an NPC who talks about snatching a pair at one point thinking they're Tifa's.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i want a cool black friend with a gun arm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

e: I vaguely remember someone in this thread linking to a Neogaf post about one of the writers being a total perv. This was in relation to Marlene's panties being an unused item in the game and there is an NPC who talks about snatching a pair at one point thinking they're Tifa's.

It's a stupid joke in a game full of off-color jokes, not the writer actually masturbating to children's panties.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A stupid joke that magically gets worse every time someone repeats the story they half remember someone else telling them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's a stupid joke in a game full of off-color jokes, not the writer actually masturbating to children's panties.
yeah. it's a bridge too far but it's not really any worse than, say, the entire honey bee inn.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X, at least as far as I am, is better than Xenoblade in every area that isn't story. However I wasn't very impressed with Xenoblade's "this is literally just a mecha anime without the mecha" story so that isn't a big deal to me.
How painful is affinity/side questing this time around? I think I've said before I ignored EVERY aspect of the side quest/affinity system in the old game cause it felt so overbearing without a guide to help out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

How painful is affinity/side questing this time around? I think I've said before I ignored EVERY aspect of the side quest/affinity system in the old game cause it felt so overbearing without a guide to help out.

It's less painful in that you only have to build affinity for your protagonist now and it's generally a bit easier to build affinity. It's mostly just a case of having people in your party. The only core problem I have with it so far is that two characters (Elma and Lin) are so often plot-mandated that I don't bring other characters as often as I'd like and have to kind of force myself to.

Edit: Well, that and some of the Affinity missions are kinda dumb and I don't like doing them. It isn't quite as bad as in Xenoblade where you had to wander around completely randomly finding items (you can honestly just buy some) but they still missed a chance to make it more user-friendly. A lot of places in Xenoblade X's UI are like "they're 9/10ths of the way there, I wish they'd gone that extra 1/10th of the way."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 6, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Music: The music is largely pretty good but goddamn exhausting. It is constantly 'on' which is good during pitched battles against deadly foes but really tiresome during cutscenes or town scenarios. They really should have gone for some more ambient music and kicked into higher gear for action instead of being in high gear almost 24/7.

This a thousand times. They desperately needed some well-done chill music to balance out the loud stuff but even the "town at night" music is just ON AND CONSTANT AND OH GOD HERE'S SOME SCAT

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill posted:

This a thousand times. They desperately needed some well-done chill music to balance out the loud stuff but even the "town at night" music is just ON AND CONSTANT AND OH GOD HERE'S SOME SCAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbh3lLi1ZY

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I haven't been to Sylvanum yet. Nice.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Tae posted:

Wait, did anyone mention Phantom Brave is coming to PC?

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/20/phantom-brave-heads-to-pcs-as-an-online-game-next-year/

Yep! Due out in 2011!

Oh wait you mean as part of the Steam leak. Yeah when I went back and searched for it it was there. It was right between Criminal Girls and Stranger of Sword City so my eyes must have just skimmed over it without seeing it. Pretty good news. Phantom Brave was tons of fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xenoblade Chronicles looks neat but regarding the music I'm watching my sister play and there's a 10 minute cutscene of characters standing around a map while droning guitars drown out any dialog. I like the soundtrack as a separate thing but it's used so inappropriately in the game. It's like someone really liked Jet Set Radio and thought that soundtrack would do well in a 100 hour RPG.

e: Such a visually impressive game yet a lot of cutscenes are Star Ocean 4 quality with soulless anime dolls flapping their gums.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/20/phantom-brave-heads-to-pcs-as-an-online-game-next-year/

Yep! Due out in 2011!

Oh wait you mean as part of the Steam leak. Yeah when I went back and searched for it it was there. It was right between Criminal Girls and Stranger of Sword City so my eyes must have just skimmed over it without seeing it. Pretty good news. Phantom Brave was tons of fun.

Are you loving serious Criminal Girls is coming to Steam?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's so much trash on Steam now that it doesn't surprise me at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

im glad of it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

im glad of it

Why Endorph. I thought you were just into boobs, not little girls.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

http://pastebin.com/WtZU1zzH

Crossposting from the Steam thread, here are some highlights:

Stranger of Sword City
FFX/X-2 Remaster
Phantom Brave
Zwei (maybe)
EDF 4.1
Dangan Ronpa 1&2
Fantasy Life (also might be different game with same name)
Twinkle Star Sprites
Journey

and I mean there are a bunch of others, you can look through the list. Of course this isn't a 100% confirmed list, it just means at some point the makers of these games put some kind of thing for them on Steam, so testing or a placeholder or whatever. Doesn't mean all of them will actually come, but at least a few of them sound plausible and are probably legit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

http://pastebin.com/WtZU1zzH

Crossposting from the Steam thread, here are some highlights:

Stranger of Sword City
FFX/X-2 Remaster
Phantom Brave
Zwei (maybe)
EDF 4.1
Dangan Ronpa 1&2
Fantasy Life (also might be different game with same name)
Twinkle Star Sprites
Journey

and I mean there are a bunch of others, you can look through the list. Of course this isn't a 100% confirmed list, it just means at some point the makers of these games put some kind of thing for them on Steam, so testing or a placeholder or whatever. Doesn't mean all of them will actually come, but at least a few of them sound plausible and are probably legit.

Please bring EDF 4.1 and not Criminal Girls to Steam, thank you.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well Nippon Ichi also has Hotaru Nikki/Firefly Diary or whatever they called it in English on there, so it just seems like they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Steam and hoping to make money through some of them. I wish they'd just focus on their good games (Phantom Brave is promising, though), but I get this feeling they're going to drag the Disgaea series out as long as possible so people don't skip the early games to buy the later, improved ones. I mean I'll buy Disgaea 1 just to have some nice tactical gaming on Steam, but I really only like 2 and 3 from the series.

Phantom Brave is one I've wanted to play for a long time. I watched a buddy play through most of it, but never tried it out myself.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
We need a goddamn Soul Nomad port. Or just... acknowledgement that that game existed, period.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7 getting an M rating doesn't matter because the only people interested in it are in their late 20's/30's now

It doesn't matter cus no one actually follows that crap. "Boy my son is only 10 should I not buy him BLops3??"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm barely even following the FF7 remake because I know they're going to make it more like Crisis Core/Advent Children/other Nomura navelgazey bullshit and take out a lot of what made the game weird and cool :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm barely even following the FF7 remake because I know they're going to make it more like Crisis Core/Advent Children/other Nomura navelgazey bullshit and take out a lot of what made the game weird and cool :(

I admit I'm not really sure how Crisis Core was very different from FF7. It's the kind of game where Zack is on vacation, gets attacked by random clones and beats them off with a beach umbrella and where there's an ongoing side quest about Yuffie tricking him and poo poo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you actually watch the trailer you'll find that the tone seems to be kept quite close to the original! Wedge has a really silly voice, Cloud sounds like he's trying to sound cool instead of whiny, etc. Now it is a mere 2 minutes of footage of course, but I'm hopeful. I really like FF7 despite playing it for the first time in like 2013.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

turns out it's going to be episodic.

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/586/final-fantasy-vii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Well that'll probably be easier on the devs, but I think excitement for a lot of people just died.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well that'll probably be easier on the devs, but I think excitement for a lot of people just died.

Think of all those great multipart games. Xenosaga! Starcraft II! Shenmue! .hack!

I guess TitS worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I get the feeling they're like "this is going to take longer than the current console cycle to make because we barely started the game" and they just want to get poo poo out. Get ready for the first game to really actually end before leaving Midgard.