Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rynex posted:

I can't wait to see what they are going to gently caress up next. I was genuinely hype for PTS, but it seems that Sean and friends are doing too much, too fast and it's slowly becoming more of a trainwreck.
The facts its 2.1 and not 3 probably means it will just be small balance tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Patchnotes for 2.1 are up!

Sounds pretty fun, it should be out sometime tomorrow evening.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The rage pack sounds interesting.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Surprised this has not been posted, hirez put up the whole Tribes franchise, including Earth-siege for download. http://www.tribesuniverse.com/ Now you don't have to be worried about pirating a 20 year old game.

Doesn't sound like they added servers though, so you still probably have to mod them to make them connect to the community run master servers.

Hooray I guess? for hirez for consolidating a bunch of easily available web links? :hirez:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

eSporks posted:

Surprised this has not been posted, hirez put up the whole Tribes franchise, including Earth-siege for download. http://www.tribesuniverse.com/ Now you don't have to be worried about pirating a 20 year old game.

Doesn't sound like they added servers though, so you still probably have to mod them to make them connect to the community run master servers.

Hooray I guess? for hirez for consolidating a bunch of easily available web links? :hirez:

Well, I do find it interesting they've made an iso of Tribes: Aerial Assault available.. I can't think of another PS2 title being legally distributed in this way.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I hear there's a new patch out. Has there been a bit of a revival as a result? How is the Goon Community in this game nowadays?

Has this game actually been resurrected?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
And has anyone managed to get Starsiege to run on Windows 10? I can't even get the installer to work.

Did manage to get Earthsiege set up and patched with the expansion pack, aw yeah perfectly flat terrain! (The expansion pack setup is :filez:, though it was apparently on the Sierra BBS back in the day so probably no one cares? Anyway, it seems to need to be in the root of a floppy disk to install. In dosbox, mount a <path to setup files on host system> -t floppy will work. Fortunately it's perfectly happy to install of magically large floppies!)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Artificer posted:

I hear there's a new patch out. Has there been a bit of a revival as a result? How is the Goon Community in this game nowadays?

Has this game actually been resurrected?

They are patching the PTS, public test server. They are sort of doing what everyone wanted in beta, but still ignoring everyone. The community plays a fair amount when a new patch comes out but then tapers off.

The dumbest thing is that they want to focus on balance before fixing the broken jet code, even though the broken jet code greatly affects balance. Its just more half added band aids.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

eSporks posted:

They are patching the PTS, public test server. They are sort of doing what everyone wanted in beta, but still ignoring everyone. The community plays a fair amount when a new patch comes out but then tapers off.

The dumbest thing is that they want to focus on balance before fixing the broken jet code, even though the broken jet code greatly affects balance. Its just more half added band aids.

That's disappointing. Welp. :(

Edit: Is there anything I should be spending my XP on? Mines are worth getting for the Doombringer right? And what of my Gold? I guess I might as well buy a voicepack?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 1, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I played this when it first came out and it was pretty fun. I'll probably give the new patch a go but I expect to get stomped by the longtime Tribes players who probably make up most of the population now.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
PTS 4 is live. Last PTS before the first official patch in forever. Energy drain weapons and the start of a vehicle revamp that will be touched on in further tests.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And still no changes to jets.

Its like if I was making a car racing game, but the car physics were atrocious. The cars feel like they are on ice, and they turn sharper when they going on faster, but not too much faster. And if you get going in reverse faster than 10mph, you can never go for wards again until you hit a wall. Then I decided I would fix the game by changing from being european imports to american muscle cars. And maybe I will finally add that manual transmission the community wants. That will make it good.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
My memory is hazy, what's specifically broken with the physics again?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulfucker posted:

There's nothing wrong with them, unless you have sperg disease and liked Tribes 2

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh god I just saw this thread revival after not thinking about Tribes for over a year, and my hand clicked before I could even look away, it's like seeing the girl from a relationship that ended really badly but you still can't forget.

please I'm not ready to be hurt again

Soulfucker posted:

What you'd expect jets to do: push you upwards.

What jets do: cancel gravity, accelerate lightly upward and in the direction you are facing.

What this means: you can't use jets to recover from a fall, jets are kinda sucky in one burst but the anti-gravity effect is really powerful over a long ski route. So flag cappers can move really fast if you know routes, and they never managed to balance the essential grab versus chase dynamic despite lots of iterations of perks and speed limits and "flag drag" etc etc etc oh god I still think about game sometimes COME BACK TO ME TRIEBS I STILL LOVE YOU WE CAN MAKE IT WORK THIS TIME

Klyith fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 5, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I hope it works out. I just want to lob Beowulf shells over hills onto people's heads again, is that a crime? :ohdear:.

The best I ever managed was making a desperate pot-shot out at some guy skating the edge of the map with our flag all the way from our base and (by his own account in a whisper after the fact) hitting the poor bastard dead-on. Even said he had a moment of "what's that noise?... *SPLAT* :allears:.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was never all that good at this game. Never got the hang of the most basic of Ski Free just for starters.

When I left off, my meager ability to mostly lead my bullets had vanished completely. Because I spent my last days playing it as an Infiltrator with backstab and that knockback on melee skill. Looking for juggernauts on hillsides mindlessly shelling the base.

Because you could chain a sticky grenade toss into a melee attack, sending them just far enough away to die without catching me in the blast radius as they were mid twitch reflex 180 to shoot me.

And that's how someone who can't aim gets 100 air mails. Maybe I'll swing by and see how much terrible 50 hedgehogs per hour ski mans can contribute to this wacky space game (Hint: I'll be a waste of space).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

Oh god I just saw this thread revival after not thinking about Tribes for over a year, and my hand clicked before I could even look away, it's like seeing the girl from a relationship that ended really badly but you still can't forget.

please I'm not ready to be hurt again

What you'd expect jets to do: push you upwards.

What jets do: cancel gravity, accelerate lightly upward and in the direction you are facing.

What this means: you can't use jets to recover from a fall, jets are kinda sucky in one burst but the anti-gravity effect is really powerful over a long ski route. So flag cappers can move really fast if you know routes, and they never managed to balance the essential grab versus chase dynamic despite lots of iterations of perks and speed limits and "flag drag" etc etc etc oh god I still think about game sometimes COME BACK TO ME TRIEBS I STILL LOVE YOU WE CAN MAKE IT WORK THIS TIME
Good summary.
The jets are also just modified air strafing code. You turn by vector rotation, like a plane, instead of vector addition, like a jets should be. What this mean is that you can conserve almost all of your speed through a turn, instead of having to overcome your your speed in one direction to another. Think lunar lander or asteroids.

How this translates into the game is that speed is hard to gain, and easy to maintain. Because you conserve so much speed while turning, they had to cripple the actual power of the jets, so now they are useless for actually gaining speed. They also have a bunch of weird arbitrary cut offs where between x and y speed, the jets don't even the same code that they do at lower speeds. If you fall faster than 75kph, it is literally impossible to stop falling giving infinite time and jet power.

The old tribes games used vector addition, so turning came at a cost of either speed, energy, or both. This mean the jets could be very powerful and useful for speed gain. You didn't need wonky speed caps and cut off values. Speeds were self limiting because it was easy to gain, hard to maintain. This is the biggest reason chasing in Ascend is broken.

The current jet system makes it hard for the chaser to get started, and it also makes ridiculous back to fronts easy to set up. It even factors into dueling as well. Because of the air strafing you can air dodge without using any energy at all, and the paths you can move in are much less predictable.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

eSporks posted:

If you fall faster than 75kph, it is literally impossible to stop falling giving infinite time and jet power.

Was that the point where using jets would actually cause you to fall faster? I remember after a certain point that all the jets would do is make you accelerate downwards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eSporks posted:

Good summary.
The jets are also just modified air strafing code. You turn by vector rotation, like a plane, instead of vector addition, like a jets should be.

"Airstrafing" in most engines (e.g. idTech and Source, not sure about UE4 though) is vector addition. The effect of applying acceleration at a right-angle to your current direction of motion is that you change direction without changing speed. The reason it's restricted to turning in those engines is the somewhat artificial restriction on using air acceleration to increase your forward velocity.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You are correct, sort of. It's the weird patches they put in to stop bunny hoping effects that turn it into a mimic of vector rotation.

Point being, you can make a sweeping 90 degree turn in ascend and not lose speed. You cannot do that in T2.

And jetting while falling faster than 75kph doesn't make you fall faster per se, but after 75kph the jets use a different code than they do below 75kph. What the code does is cancel gravity, and then accelerate you at 1kph/s in your current vector.
So you will fall slower than if you were not jetting, but you will also infinitely accelerate.

If you are falling at 74kph, your jets will provide upward thrust and slow and overcome your decent like you would expect.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 5, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eSporks posted:

Point being, you can make a sweeping 90 degree turn in ascend and not lose speed. You cannot do that in T2.

Only because you'd have run out of jets before you finished, though. The addition/rotation thing is irrelevant and kind of a distraction from your real point.

haejajaekjak
Mar 25, 2015

by Cowcaster
I've been playing Tribes at an elite level, the same as or better than players like Matin or RTCLL (and definitely way better than fireinasa or mabel or mstarr) for 15 years and have been offered money through small salary to play it at different times over my career.

Here's a video narrated review and analysis I did on Tribes Ascend: PTS vs. Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUHoiSYHLA

Here's a youtube channel with many Competitive Tribes Fragging Playlists from various Tribes channels over 15 years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/spockhammer

quote:

My general comments were:
Tribes: Ascend, discussion on Private Test Server vs Lightweight Perk on Live. Things to make the game more competitive and less casual.

Lag compensation and greater air jet strength definitely a needed investment.

Faster weapon change and shoot time.

No reload mechanic for Chaingun.

Skiing faster, skiing uphill and up steep objects as well as jumping straight up in the air easily on inclines.

1 Second respawn timer only.

Throw hand grenades and shoot hand weapons at same time.

Lightweight Perk and E-Sports Factor, from a T1 LT player.

Put the space bar jump on steroids.

More air impulse jet control more jetpack power more Lightweight perc more discs and more T1 like combat more height and air time and long range mas

haejajaekjak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 6, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jabor posted:

Only because you'd have run out of jets before you finished, though. The addition/rotation thing is irrelevant and kind of a distraction from your real point.

It's not though, and I don't give enough of a poo poo to draw up diagrams again.
In T2, if you were traveling north and wanted to travel west you would need to jet southwest. The south portion of your jetting would be "wasted" the energy would be going to counteracting your northward velocity.

In TA it works completely different. You just jet west, and 100% of your speed is rotated from north to west.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

haejajaekjak posted:

I've been playing Tribes at an elite level, the same as or better than players like Matin or RTCLL (and definitely way better than fireinasa or mabel or mstarr) for 15 years and have been offered money through small salary to play it at different times over my career.

Here's a video narrated review and analysis I did on Tribes Ascend: PTS vs. Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUHoiSYHLA

Here's a youtube channel with many Competitive Tribes Fragging Playlists from various Tribes channels over 15 years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/spockhammer

lol wtf is this?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

lol wtf is this?
The music is great.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 6, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Its quite a fine example of insanity.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eSporks posted:

It's not though, and I don't give enough of a poo poo to draw up diagrams again.
In T2, if you were traveling north and wanted to travel west you would need to jet southwest. The south portion of your jetting would be "wasted" the energy would be going to counteracting your northward velocity.

In TA it works completely different. You just jet west, and 100% of your speed is rotated from north to west.

You can absolutely "turn" in T2 by jetting at 90 degrees to your direction of motion, and rotating your view so that you're always jetting perpendicular to your direction of motion. Perhaps you should load up the game with an infinite jets mod and try it out?

If you do go ahead and draw out your diagrams, you'll note that jetting perpendicular to your direction of motion, and turning your view so that it remains perpendicular throughout the manoeuvre, actually produces the exact same total impulse in each direction as just jetting directly towards the midpoint between your current and desired directions. It's just distributed differently throughout the manoeuvre.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I remember rootbeer's diagrams from old threads before but I'm not sure they were the clearest, I don't get the impression that he's a math / geometry guy.

I think one way to put it would be this: theoretically if you were flying through the air at infinite speed in Tribes Ascend, you could change your direction of movement by 90 degrees in finite time & jet energy. In older Tribes games, you could not.

*I don't know if the above is true because I have next to no real experience in T1 & T2.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Pastor Troy is good

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jabor posted:

You can absolutely "turn" in T2 by jetting at 90 degrees to your direction of motion, and rotating your view so that you're always jetting perpendicular to your direction of motion. Perhaps you should load up the game with an infinite jets mod and try it out?

If you do go ahead and draw out your diagrams, you'll note that jetting perpendicular to your direction of motion, and turning your view so that it remains perpendicular throughout the manoeuvre, actually produces the exact same total impulse in each direction as just jetting directly towards the midpoint between your current and desired directions. It's just distributed differently throughout the manoeuvre.
You are just rewording what I said. What you said is exactly what I said, that the sum of your thrust needs to be SW.

With proper thrust addition, If you use 100% of your energy to travel north. It will take 200% energy to turn and be traveling at the same speed west. In TA, it consumes far less you are not force to overcome your own momentum.
It helps to imagine a plane or a car. A car does not need to exert energy to make a turn. The wheels get turned and the vector gets rotated with minimal loss to speed. To turn west, you don't not need to overcome your northward momentum, you just use the momentum.

Klyith posted:

I remember rootbeer's diagrams from old threads before but I'm not sure they were the clearest, I don't get the impression that he's a math / geometry guy.

I think one way to put it would be this: theoretically if you were flying through the air at infinite speed in Tribes Ascend, you could change your direction of movement by 90 degrees in finite time & jet energy. In older Tribes games, you could not.

*I don't know if the above is true because I have next to no real experience in T1 & T2.
I just can't be bothered to look up the formulas, and the TA one is also really screwy to begin with.

I just thought of another way to say it. In t2 to turn from North to West, the sum of your jetting need to be SW. In TA, to turn from north to west, you only need to jet west. This is because instead of using vector addition, where you must overcome that northward momentum, it uses vector rotation, where your vector is being rotated until it aligns with the direction you are jetting.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 6, 2015

haejajaekjak
Mar 25, 2015

by Cowcaster
T;A is a heavily dumbed down game for casuals and needs to go the route of Tribes 1 LT PRO MODE (you know where we got paid salary to play the game and then moved on to Overwatch and got paid salary there too) like the Lightweight Perk was starting to do but on Steroids.

There is nothing insane about wanting a high skill level required game that attracts spectators and plays like basketball or hockey. And just because it's hard doesn't mean it has to exclude casuals. It can just be a game mode or mod like "blitz" or whatever.

That;s what my pastor troy music thing was about.

Also when rynex reads this.

I just wanted to say.

Welcome to FYAD Tribes noobie ignorant idiot <3 Dare :-D

haejajaekjak fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 6, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Competitive and casual are not at all mutually exclusive. Rocket league is a huge example of this, and also example of how you get the game to feel good, and then everything else falls into place.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My understanding is that TA airstrafing is fundamentally similar to airstrafing in games like TF2 and Quake? It certainly felt the same when I was playing it, anyway. Is that not the case?

Are you saying that if I start out traveling north, and jet straight west (and never adjust my view at all) I actually slow down my north-ward velocity? Would someone be able to record a video of this?

haejajaekjak
Mar 25, 2015

by Cowcaster

eSporks posted:

Competitive and casual are not at all mutually exclusive. Rocket league is a huge example of this, and also example of how you get the game to feel good, and then everything else falls into place.

I'm not arguing that at all. I'm simply stating that T:A's competitive community suffered because the game was overly dumbed down and not as robust for the competitive gamer as most competitive Tribes players would have liked.

Especially people that are into E-Sports and Pro Gaming.

Also to the other guy.

I enjoy the air strafing mechanic in T:A immensely as someone that competes in CPMA, Reflex, and Quake.

I just want the game not to be so ground hugging.

It's a Tribes game so you should expect there to be much higher and consistent aerial acrobatics and less of a Real Life Ski simulator where you're always hugging the ground.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

haejajaekjak posted:

I'm not arguing that at all. I'm simply stating that T:A's competitive community suffered because the game was overly dumbed down and not as robust for the competitive gamer as most competitive Tribes players would have liked.
I was agreeing with you.

quote:

I enjoy the air strafing mechanic in T:A immensely as someone that competes in CPMA, Reflex, and Quake.

I just want the game not to be so ground hugging.

It's a Tribes game so you should expect there to be much higher and consistent aerial acrobatics and less of a Real Life Ski simulator where you're always hugging the ground.
The way I see it, the air strafing is the problem though. Because of how it works, you can't have useful powerful jets.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I played tribes 1 competitively (OGL, my team sucked). I tried this game today. It feels weird not having to jump before jetting (or at least not having a well timed jump add to your initial boost velocity). It also feels weird skimming along the ground instead of bouncing along it as you ski. It seems a lot harder to predict where people are going to land. I am not sure if that is because the jetting is different, the graphics are different, or I am just rusty as hell. Feels floaty though.

Tribes 1 was a good game. What was the name of the snowy map that wasn't snowblind? The one that had three valleys running parallel down the map, with the bases at opposite ends of the middle valley.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Tribes 1 was terrible because it didn't do jack poo poo to make sure everyone was playing the same game. Because skiing was a bug, sure, but still. The latter ones that actually decided to make it a mechanic are nearly intrinsicly better.

haejajaekjak
Mar 25, 2015

by Cowcaster

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I played tribes 1 competitively (OGL, my team sucked). I tried this game today. It feels weird not having to jump before jetting (or at least not having a well timed jump add to your initial boost velocity). It also feels weird skimming along the ground instead of bouncing along it as you ski. It seems a lot harder to predict where people are going to land. I am not sure if that is because the jetting is different, the graphics are different, or I am just rusty as hell. Feels floaty though.

Tribes 1 was a good game. What was the name of the snowy map that wasn't snowblind? The one that had three valleys running parallel down the map, with the bases at opposite ends of the middle valley.

iceridge not sb but good description

sb is the one with the flags inside and really big tall hills and they on top and u spam from the hill mortars down on tiny people cuz ur a loving loser
then u go camp the base inside where ppl respawn and kill them more times

sometimes u kill them 50 times in a row

hoily gently caress

ya t1 was the best of the best of the series

but the best of the best of the best of the series was Tribes 1 LT (every pro from every major mod came together - base, arena, duel, renegeades, shifter, meltdown :D, annihilation, etc, as one big family, and we all agreed, this was where the pro scene should be, the skill, everything encapsulating tribes, a truly great skillful game on par with quake CPMA (competitive pro mode arena). so they made Tribes 1 LT :'-)

Soon there's going to be newly marketed games in this genre of "fps-z" type games with jetpacks and rockets.

this game format works best with tribes 1 LT style ctf. if you guys want to know the history check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes1 it's a great resource it's modded by some of the best people to ever play tribes (they get voted this). a couple of them have won cash tourneys, one is on the #1 Overwatch Pro team right now Team Hubris.

these new games will probably not be clones of tribes 1 LT, but they can have a Tribes 1 5v5 LT style e-sports format/game mode and probably will in some form. so i definitely suggest you check them out as this is the direction the series is head in in the future - while still remaining to its multiple armor/class/position roots and offering that to casuals.

all games need a pro mode democratically discussed and decided by the pros IMO.

haejajaekjak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

haejajaekjak posted:

all games need a pro mode democratically discussed and decided by the pros IMO.
I strongly disagree with this. Again pointing to rocket league as an example. Sure it has 2v2, and 4v4, but even the casual community agrees 3v3 is the best mode. It perfectly satisfies both casual casual and comp needs with the exact same game mode and ruleset.
We need to distance ourselves from the idea that a game needs special adaptations to be competitive. All it does is split the community and create animosity for comp or casual play from the other side. It also widens the gap and makes it harder for someone to transition from casual to comp.

And yes rocket league added mutators, but there is a clear understanding they are gimmicks, and I feel like even the casual community understands that they are cheap temporary thrills, and not what the main game is about.

One of the key things rocket league did right from the get go, is balancing around small teams, both in terms of power and fun. 4v4 is simply not as fun as 3v3, even on a casual level because there is just too much happening. This focus helps ensure comp is playable with the same ruleset as casual. If you compare it to something like tribes or tf2, they end up having to try and balance for vastly different team sizes, and the game plays completely different with different team sizes. It is like trying to balance 2 games at once. Its not wonder comp ends up using special rules, and this is not a good thing for the health of the game.

• Locked thread