Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

After 2 years of silence Hi-Rez just announced a new patch that will bump the game to version 1.1

Hi-rez has pushed the 1.1 patch to the live servers as of December 10th.
If you're wondering if Tribes: Ascend is the game for you, now is the time to give it a try as player numbers will be at an all time high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt9NGBCME9g

Patch Notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yzN7KdUn0mFrZGHjcM8CUMSy8aV-WzYlu3NB3hyo760/pub

Patch Notes posted:

New CTF Maps:
  • Ice Coaster
    “Ice Coaster is a large map inspired by the Tribes 1 legacy map Rollercoaster.”
    Supports CTF and Blitz game modes.
  • Perdition
    “Perdition is a small sized CTF map inspired by the Tribes 2 legacy map Damnation.”
    Supports CTF and TDM game modes.
  • Terminus
    “A brand new medium sized map inspired by Katabatic and Arx Novena.”
    Supports CTF and Blitz game modes.
Class Changes:
  • "With the new armor selection system in place of classes we have brought full loadout customization to Tribes:Ascend for the first time. The new baseline default loadout bring back the classic Disk + Chain + Grenade Launcher combination. ”
Equipment Changes:
  • “The new weapon class system is flexible enough to allow players to create interesting loadouts while limiting similar weapons from being equipped. This will prevent annoying double ground pound, or triple chain loadouts.”
  • All armor, belt items, packs, and weapons have been rebalanced. Please refer to our weapon stats spreadsheet for more information.
  • Replaced primary and secondary weapon restrictions with a weapon class system to limit equipping of similar weapons in all weapon slots.
  • Laser targeter has returned, it can be selected by pressing L by default.
  • A whole bunch more stuff, check the notes.
Gameplay:
  • Base asset upgrades have been removed and the stats adjusted accordingly.
  • “Shields on base assets only mitigate damage and can now be worn down over time instead of completely prevent damage from slower rate of fire weapons such as the disk launcher.”
  • “The new Base Turrets operate like Tribes 2 base turrets. They no longer destroy players in 1 shot and the serve primarily as area denial.”
  • Call-ins removed
  • Perks have been removed from the game. Some aspects of signature perks have preserved in other devices/armor..
  • Upgrades paths have been removed from the game.
  • Again, a lot more stuff, check the notes.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm glad that they're reviving this (I felt like it was a good product that shouldn't have been abandoned to begin with) but I'm not sure if I'm going to like the removal of the distinct classes. I liked the defined roles.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Sorry but I've been hurt too many times before.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's no way this isn't too little too late, but maybe the game'll be playable for a couple months before HiRez decides enough people aren't playing the patch and pulls the plug again.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does using your jetpack when falling quicker than a certain speed still make you fall even faster due to weird math in the backend?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
gently caress you hi-rez.

You killed this game so long ago.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Should I pay money for a game they already immediately abandoned once with no warning

A quandry indeed

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Should I pay money for a game they already immediately abandoned once with no warning

A quandry indeed

DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY. Wait until we find out what the gently caress is going on with the patch first before you spend a dime.

Also, hello. I'm back.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry I had no intention of giving hirez money

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

ill obviously be playing but only out of spite

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nation posted:

gently caress you hi-rez.

You killed this game so long ago.

:agreed:

The only way I'd play Tribes: Ascend again is if the management of hi-rez commited ritual suicide on their office's rooftop.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Are there any physics changes...? The real reason the game sucked was that if you weren't practicing routes constantly capping was impossible but if you had them down actually stopping a cap was similarly impossible. If they don't fix that this is pointless to the point of being kinda sad.

e: like I'm kind of underselling it, if you were a really good capper and there wasn't a good sniper + capper on the other team the round is basically a formality and you are guaranteed to win

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 9, 2015

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

Are there any physics changes...? The real reason the game sucked was that if you weren't practicing routes constantly capping was impossible but if you had them down actually stopping a cap was similarly impossible. If they don't fix that this is pointless to the point of being kinda sad.

e: like I'm kind of underselling it, if you were a really good capper and there wasn't a good sniper + capper on the other team the round is basically a formality and you are guaranteed to win

I'm more interested to know if they removed the speed cap. That was the worst decision to make in a game about going fast. And you're blowing that out of proportion, a solid defense was hard to crack, but public games were full of shitters who just wanted to play halo in the midfield all game so you hardly saw it.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Morbidmind posted:

I'm more interested to know if they removed the speed cap. That was the worst decision to make in a game about going fast. And you're blowing that out of proportion, a solid defense was hard to crack, but public games were full of shitters who just wanted to play halo in the midfield all game so you hardly saw it.

Everything is up for grabs. They are pretty much re-tooling this game with the old T:A assets. Also comes complete with all its old physic problems, but I guess the best way to look at what HiRez are doing his is what Capcom do with Street Fighter games. Think of this as Super Tribes Ascend?

Also, I don't know how I feel about removing the speed cap. I know for a fact that a lot of comp level cappers would love to go back explore some completely unhinged cap routes on Katabatic now that the game has been thoroughly dissected.

Just remember, even if this thing fails guys, there's always Midair.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want this to be good, expect this to be bad, but will probably enjoy a month of playing tribes on full servers so there is that.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I wonder how long it will take hirez to abandon it again.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Will probably get abandoned by hi-rez again but goddamn I still love this game.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Holy gently caress what is going on

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Heaven Spacey posted:

That's how tribes should be.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Holy gently caress what is going on

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah don't give Hi-Rez a cent; in fact even though I liked the game and played it almost non stop for an entire summer I don't think I'm even going to play it again because gently caress them for ditching it for their lovely moba

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Eonwe posted:

A quandry indeed

bookmarking this post for an eventual PS2 necromancy thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lovely Senorita posted:

bookmarking this post for an eventual PS2 necromancy thread

if you are talking about planetside 2, no i would never give SOE/Daybreak any more money either unless something big changed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this thread is the eventual future of Planetside 2

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
planetside 2 is arguably dead-er than this even

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they should lay off everyone at daybreak and then sell off the IPs to other companies and just go on with their day

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If only you'd supported Tribes and PS2 with more money, they wouldn't be dead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of them dying

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

all i even play any more is lovely F2Ps, what the gently caress am i doing.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Heaven Spacey posted:

If only you'd supported Tribes and PS2 with more money, they wouldn't be dead.

I spent money on Planetside 2 and I hate myself for it everyday.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

That's how tribes should be.

And that's why it died.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Ascend had like the most confusing development cycle. Hi-rez were by far the best devs I've seen when it came to how they handled everything up until like, the infiltrator update when they took a 180 turn. Early alpha/beta, they listened to the community when it came to changes, took out hit-scan for projectile ballistics, raised the speed cap, focused on large map development, and every time they changed anything with how the classes worked they refunded you anything you'd spent on the game till then. It was loving crazy.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

I spent money on Planetside 2 and I hate myself for it everyday.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Morbidmind posted:

Ascend had like the most confusing development cycle. Hi-rez were by far the best devs I've seen when it came to how they handled everything up until like, the infiltrator update when they took a 180 turn. Early alpha/beta, they listened to the community when it came to changes, took out hit-scan for projectile ballistics, raised the speed cap, focused on large map development, and every time they changed anything with how the classes worked they refunded you anything you'd spent on the game till then. It was loving crazy.

We were all hurt :/

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do I play tribes 1 or 2 nowadays?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

tranime scholar posted:

I wonder how long it will take hirez to abandon it again.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/3irx1u/tribes_will_be_getting_a_new_map_and_some_other/cuj65um?context=3

excerpt posted:

This is a passion project for us. If we are able to make any money from it, that is great -- but it is not our expectation going in. There is a group of us that still love playing the game regularly -- and we want to leave the game in a better state than it is now, and provide something that all of us can keep playing for years to come.

One of the biggest changes we are contemplating and want to test on PTS is the consolidation to only 3 main classes -- Light, Medium and Heavy -- harkening back to Tribes 2. This may wind up being a bigger rathole than our small team can absorb -- but our early testing is promising, and we at least want to give you all the ability to test this on PTS and decide as a community whether its something you want us to keep in the game.

We also have a list of bugs and other cleanups we are working on, and are looking closely at some changes to the unlock and progression system that we think will make the game more attractive to players new and old.

And, yes, we have a new map that we will ship as well.

Obviously, we can't promise how long we will maintain the game -- and given our history, I want to be very careful about oversetting expectations. If people don't like and respond to the changes as we make them, obviously, we will have to stop maintaining the game at some point. But I am hopeful we can get the game to a better spot that our hardcore Tribes community will really love and appreciate for a long time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want to go fast again.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm cautiously optimistic. I know I shouldn't be fooled again but it's Tribes and I want it to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

so they will still probably abandon it soon but at least they know how to say the right things so there is a tiny glimmer of hope

• Locked thread