Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Banning food marketing to children would be great. I guess children's food would then by law have to be marketed toward's parents? I wish we could do something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

enraged_camel posted:

It's not that a six-year-old is running their lives. It's a combination of two things:

a) Most parents want their kids to be happy
b) Most parents want their kids to stop whining and shut the hell up

Feeding the kid fast-food accomplishes both of these goals, and it doesn't cause any immediate short-term harm (and unfortunately, the long-term harm is still contradicted by many marketing campaigns and even research).

Both cigarettes and liquor are illegal and much more obviously harmful than fast-food. Giving them to a child is child-abuse.

Cigarettes, yes. Liquor, no (at least not in Canada). Minors are unable to purchase alcohol or consume it in a licensed establishment, but parents/guardians may provide it in a private home legally.

I think marketing to tweens and teens, and making sure that school food is more nutritious (and banning junk food in schools), is more important than restricting happy meals or whatever. A 12-year-old probably has a bit of money and some degree of agency, yet very limited rationality -- ergo, it's much more important to protect them from predatory marketing than to protect a 6-year-old, because the 6-year-old ultimately can't make their own choice about loving anything.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

PT6A posted:

Cigarettes, yes. Liquor, no (at least not in Canada). Minors are unable to purchase alcohol or consume it in a licensed establishment, but parents/guardians may provide it in a private home legally.

I think marketing to tweens and teens, and making sure that school food is more nutritious (and banning junk food in schools), is more important than restricting happy meals or whatever. A 12-year-old probably has a bit of money and some degree of agency, yet very limited rationality -- ergo, it's much more important to protect them from predatory marketing than to protect a 6-year-old, because the 6-year-old ultimately can't make their own choice about loving anything.
I hate the idea of any marketing towards kids, and honestly 12-13 would be about the youngest I could consider even vaguely acceptable. Marketing things towards young kids is seriously hosed up because they're not at the point where they can even properly distinguish advertising from non-advertising, and marketing is trying to get at them and form positive associations with various brands before they form critical thinking skills. They can't make their own choices, but they influence their parent's choices to some degree or another. 12 year olds are pretty naive, but at least they realize things aren't always true and you can talk to them about how and why advertising is bullshit, while kids under 8 are still iffy about understanding that advertising lies to them. I totally agree on the school lunch foods and really dislike the idea of fast food companies being allowed anywhere in schools.

http://mediasmarts.ca/marketing-consumerism/marketing-consumerism-special-issues-young-children

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Here is a study on targeted advertising toward children:

quote:

Research has shown that young children—younger than 8 years—are cognitively and psychologically defenseless against advertising.6–9 They do not understand the notion of intent to sell and frequently accept advertising claims at face value.10 In fact, in the late 1970s, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) held hearings, reviewed the existing research, and came to the conclusion that it was unfair and deceptive to advertise to children younger than 6 years.11 What kept the FTC from banning such ads was that it was thought to be impractical to implement such a ban.11 However, some Western countries have done exactly that: Sweden and Norway forbid all advertising directed at children younger than 12 years, Greece bans toy advertising until after 10 PM, and Denmark and Belgium severely restrict advertising aimed at children.12

quote:

Advertisers have traditionally used techniques to which children and adolescents are more susceptible, such as product placements in movies and TV shows,26 tie-ins between movies and fast food restaurants,18 tie-ins between TV shows and toy action figures or other products,7 kids' clubs that are linked to popular shows, and celebrity endorsements.27 Cellular phones are currently being marketed to 6- to 12-year-olds, with the potential for directing specific advertisers to children and preteens. Coca-Cola reportedly paid Warner Bros. Studios $150 million for the global marketing rights to the movie “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone,”28 and nearly 20% of fast food restaurant ads now mention a toy premium in their ads.29 Certain tie-in products may be inappropriate for children (eg, action figures from the World Wrestling Federation or an action doll that mutters profanities from an R-rated Austin Powers movie).

Children's advertising protections will need to be updated for digital TV, which will be in place before 2010. In the near future, children watching a TV program will be able to click an on-screen link and go to a Web site during the program.30 Interactive games and promotions on digital TV will have the ability to lure children away from regular programming, encouraging them to spend a long time in an environment that lacks clear separation between content and advertising. Interactive technology may also allow advertisers to collect vast amounts of information about children's viewing habits and preferences and target them on the basis of that information.31

quote:

Advertisers spend more than $2.5 billion/year to promote restaurants and another $2 billion to promote food products.56 On TV, of the estimated 40 000 ads per year that young people see, half are for food, especially sugared cereals and high-calorie snacks.29,57 Healthy foods are advertised less than 3% of the time; children rarely see a food advertisement for broccoli.58 Increasingly, fast food conglomerates are using toy tie-ins with major children's motion pictures to try to attract young people.59 Nearly 20% of fast food ads now mention a toy premium in their commercials.29 Several studies document that young children request more junk food (defined as foods with high-caloric density but very low nutrient density) after viewing commercials.60–63 In 1 study, the amount of TV viewed per week correlated with requests for specific foods and with caloric intake.61 At the same time, advertising healthy foods has been shown to increase wholesome eating in children as young as 3 to 6 years of age.64

quote:

Clearly, advertising represents “big business” in the United States and can have a significant effect on young people. Unlike free speech, commercial speech does not enjoy the same protections under the First Amendment of the Constitution.90 Advertisements can be restricted or even banned if there is a significant public health risk. Cigarette advertising and alcohol advertising would seem to fall squarely into this category, and ads for junk food could easily be restricted.91

There's also relevant sections regarding alcohol and tobacco for you PT6A.

Basically you can prime a child to become a consumer when they reach some degree of agency.

This one covers how children persuade their parents, including which strategies were successful and when. Although I don't feel the how they do it is relevant to the ban.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 6, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
^^^^^ That's a taskforce report, not a study. At root it's a political document and should be cited and read with caution.

SlipUp posted:

I've had time think of some ideas since this thread began, so in addition to the others I've mentioned:

I think some of these are more viable than others. My responses are limited to the US.

-Personal fitness tax credits: Try and improve overall healthiness and alleviate some poverty, strongly suspected to one of the leading causes.

Historically personal tax credits have mostly been a route to systemic fraud. I'm not sure how you thin that they would alleviate poverty, or what you think the causal intersection of poverty and obesity is. You'd need to address that causal mechanism to unwind it, not give the poor money.

-Public gyms: We have public libraries to improve creativity and knowledge, why not a public institution for fitness and health? Provides a safe place to exercise at low cost and also improves public hygiene.

This is tricky because these are funded at the state or municipal level, and not generally funded very well. They'd require a massive budget restructuring pretty much nationwide. Generally these exist in some urban areas as "community centers", but the key word there is "urban" - you're not going to be able to support these easily in settings with low population density. If federal, it's not clear who would manage these- while HHS seems like a good choice, the reality is that building and running fitness centers is orthogonal to the activities of HHS; they'd be unlikely to be any good at it.

-Public Health Campaign focusing on the positive benefits of a healthy lifestyle but hitting all the hard advertising markers. ("Have great sex!")

HHS does this through many different offices already. One of my possible career goals is to generally improve these efforts.

Societal scale there are some changes I would like to see that would also positively affect obesity rates:

-Federally mandated 30 hour work week. Higher employment, less wageslave burnout.

Politically, legally, and practically, not going to happen. The list of valid exceptions alone would be massive, and the economic harm similarly so. There's a reason this isn't regulated fully at the federal level aside from federal employees. Its efficacy re: obesity is also questionable.

-Universal Preventative Health Care. Allows access to mental and physical preventative care. Psychologists and nutritionists for everyone!

General preventative care coverage already exists. Part of ACA. Nutritionists won't help- the term is unregulated. In the US, "dietitians" are licensed professionals, but the reality is that the field is deeply corrupt and subject to a variety of forms of industrial capture. A colleague once compared the national dietetics conference to the temple of Mammon. Psychologists aren't clinicians- you're thinking of psychiatrists. Due to the (partly deserved) poor reputation of the field of psychiatry, which is much better than dietetics but worse than most other clinical fields from a corruption and scientifically supported practice standpoint, there wouldn't be sufficient political will to make this happen. There also wouldn't be anywhere near enough clinicians to support either effort.

-Check Urban Sprawl, promote alternate means of transportation. Reduce dependency on cars, make them inconvenient compared to biking or transit in urban centres.

That's not actually feasible without funding the demolition and reconstruction of the entire US. efforts in places like California tend to be laughably inconsequential. The funding of new large scale mass transit systems is underway, but the overarching change in US transportation systems would take at least 50 years even if it were fully federally controlled and funded.

-Ban food marketing to children. How many kids diets have been wrecked for a lifetime at the age of six because of a red headed clown? They are not capable of making informed choices and are very susceptible to advertising techniques.

I agree with this, but it's difficult to draw lines in many cases. The primary difficulty, though, would be that FTC regulates this area (it's outside the normal FDA mandate), and is massively underfunded.

PT6A posted:

Minors are unable to purchase alcohol or consume it in a licensed establishment, but parents/guardians may provide it in a private home legally.
:argh:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 6, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Solenna posted:

I hate the idea of any marketing towards kids, and honestly 12-13 would be about the youngest I could consider even vaguely acceptable. Marketing things towards young kids is seriously hosed up because they're not at the point where they can even properly distinguish advertising from non-advertising, and marketing is trying to get at them and form positive associations with various brands before they form critical thinking skills. They can't make their own choices, but they influence their parent's choices to some degree or another. 12 year olds are pretty naive, but at least they realize things aren't always true and you can talk to them about how and why advertising is bullshit, while kids under 8 are still iffy about understanding that advertising lies to them. I totally agree on the school lunch foods and really dislike the idea of fast food companies being allowed anywhere in schools.

http://mediasmarts.ca/marketing-consumerism/marketing-consumerism-special-issues-young-children

The funny thing is that banning such marketing should be easy to do. Whichever liberal group takes on the lobbying and campaigning for that task has it easy. All they have to do is use the same "think of the children!" logic that conservative groups use when they want to pass various legislation. Except this time the argument would actually be valid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sorry for being obtuse, but what point are you making here? I agree it's a horrible idea, but it's equally legal to ply your children with booze as it is to feed them fast food, provided you do it in your own home. The point being, only a half-wit would say "sure, just take a beer out of the fridge if you want!" to their 10-year-old, no matter how loudly they bitch about wanting it, and honestly it's probably better that your 10-year-old should have the odd beer or glass of wine a few times per year than to eat fast food on a regular basis.

Also, anyone who says booze isn't marketed to minors is delusional. Tobacco is the only thing that's properly restricted in terms of advertising; booze ads can be found in every form of media, and they use themes and imagery, largely based around sex, that will appeal to teenagers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PT6A posted:

Sorry for being obtuse, but what point are you making here? I agree it's a horrible idea, but it's equally legal to ply your children with booze as it is to feed them fast food, provided you do it in your own home.

The difference, again, is that if someone discovered that you plied your children with booze on a regular basis, CPS (or its Canadian equivalent, whatever that is) could take them away from you and possibly charge you with child abuse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The funny thing is that banning such marketing should be easy to do. Whichever liberal group takes on the lobbying and campaigning for that task has it easy. All they have to do is use the same "think of the children!" logic that conservative groups use when they want to pass various legislation. Except this time the argument would actually be valid.

How do you determine, objectively speaking, whether something is being marketed to minors, though? Like the point I made about alcohol advertising, you can't simply exclude minors from being influenced by your advertisements, even if you do your very best to focus them at adults. The only way it can be done, as it's done for tobacco advertising in Canada, is limit any advertising to minors-prohibited venues. That's why we have cigarette ads in bars, but nowhere else.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PT6A posted:

How do you determine, objectively speaking, whether something is being marketed to minors, though? Like the point I made about alcohol advertising, you can't simply exclude minors from being influenced by your advertisements, even if you do your very best to focus them at adults. The only way it can be done, as it's done for tobacco advertising in Canada, is limit any advertising to minors-prohibited venues. That's why we have cigarette ads in bars, but nowhere else.

Certain advertisements are exclusively targeted at minors, which is obvious from their program slots. If there's a commercial break in-between two cartoons on a Saturday morning, who else would be watching at that time?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

If there's a commercial break in-between two cartoons on a Saturday morning, who else would be watching at that time?

Man-children?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Certain advertisements are exclusively targeted at minors, which is obvious from their program slots. If there's a commercial break in-between two cartoons on a Saturday morning, who else would be watching at that time?

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. If you can successfully classify children's programming, then you can ban food marketing from it. On the other hand, can you ban food marketing which may appeal to minors from shows which are not primarily focused at minors? What of things like nature documentaries? I loved watching that sort of stuff as a kid, but it's not really a kid's show.

enraged_camel posted:

The difference, again, is that if someone discovered that you plied your children with booze on a regular basis, CPS (or its Canadian equivalent, whatever that is) could take them away from you and possibly charge you with child abuse.

As they should if you've fed your six-year-old into obesity! It's as if you just made my point for me...

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Discendo Vox posted:

^^^^^ That's a taskforce report, not a study. At root it's a political document and should be cited and read with caution.

I think some of these are more viable than others. My responses are limited to the US.

-Personal fitness tax credits: Try and improve overall healthiness and alleviate some poverty, strongly suspected to one of the leading causes.

Historically personal tax credits have mostly been a route to systemic fraud. I'm not sure how you thin that they would alleviate poverty, or what you think the causal intersection of poverty and obesity is. You'd need to address that causal mechanism to unwind it, not give the poor money.

-Public gyms: We have public libraries to improve creativity and knowledge, why not a public institution for fitness and health? Provides a safe place to exercise at low cost and also improves public hygiene.

This is tricky because these are funded at the state or municipal level, and not generally funded very well. They'd require a massive budget restructuring pretty much nationwide. Generally these exist in some urban areas as "community centers", but the key word there is "urban" - you're not going to be able to support these easily in settings with low population density. If federal, it's not clear who would manage these- while HHS seems like a good choice, the reality is that building and running fitness centers is orthogonal to the activities of HHS; they'd be unlikely to be any good at it.

-Public Health Campaign focusing on the positive benefits of a healthy lifestyle but hitting all the hard advertising markers. ("Have great sex!")

HHS does this through many different offices already. One of my possible career goals is to generally improve these efforts.

Societal scale there are some changes I would like to see that would also positively affect obesity rates:

-Federally mandated 30 hour work week. Higher employment, less wageslave burnout.

Politically, legally, and practically, not going to happen. The list of valid exceptions alone would be massive, and the economic harm similarly so. There's a reason this isn't regulated fully at the federal level aside from federal employees. Its efficacy re: obesity is also questionable.

-Universal Preventative Health Care. Allows access to mental and physical preventative care. Psychologists and nutritionists for everyone!

General preventative care coverage already exists. Part of ACA. Nutritionists won't help- the term is unregulated. In the US, "dietitians" are licensed professionals, but the reality is that the field is deeply corrupt and subject to a variety of forms of industrial capture. A colleague once compared the national dietetics conference to the temple of Mammon. Psychologists aren't clinicians- you're thinking of psychiatrists. Due to the (partly deserved) poor reputation of the field of psychiatry, which is much better than dietetics but worse than most other clinical fields from a corruption and scientifically supported practice standpoint, there wouldn't be sufficient political will to make this happen. There also wouldn't be anywhere near enough clinicians to support either effort.

-Check Urban Sprawl, promote alternate means of transportation. Reduce dependency on cars, make them inconvenient compared to biking or transit in urban centres.

That's not actually feasible without funding the demolition and reconstruction of the entire US. efforts in places like California tend to be laughably inconsequential. The funding of new large scale mass transit systems is underway, but the overarching change in US transportation systems would take at least 50 years even if it were fully federally controlled and funded.

-Ban food marketing to children. How many kids diets have been wrecked for a lifetime at the age of six because of a red headed clown? They are not capable of making informed choices and are very susceptible to advertising techniques.

I agree with this, but it's difficult to draw lines in many cases. The primary difficulty, though, would be that FTC regulates this area (it's outside the normal FDA mandate), and is massively underfunded.

:argh:

Right, not a study my mistake. I would note that some of it's references are very valid.

quote:

I'm not sure how you thin that they would alleviate poverty, or what you think the causal intersection of poverty and obesity is. You'd need to address that causal mechanism to unwind it, not give the poor money.

The extra money could be used to offset higher food prices in food desert area or to buy food more often so that people eat fresh vegetables on a regular basis rather than bulk dried starches.

This was a small suggestion I listed first as the most likely to succeed in my opinion. I never intended this to be the one thing that solves poverty. The money is the draw to be fit and healthy which would have numerous small positive impacts on society including cheaper healthcare costs. In the long term it would almost certainly break even.

quote:

This is definitely on the unlikely side of my scale of likelihood. I did also preface this that these are larger societal changes I'd like to see in general that would tangentially affect obesity, but obesity isn't necessarily the driving force behind them. That said, it would help address obesity by allowing more leisure time to prepare meals at home. I'd also preface that they would be good ideas in general, just not necessarily as dictated by US politics. If you have more US centric ideas I would be interested.

e: Also worth noting the taskforce mentioned the FTC's response to basically be "Ya, it should be banned but we have no idea how to do it." But of course, many countries have successfully done so. Wether it's feasible... probably not.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 6, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We're straying back into fast food = bad food territory I see.

Is someone arguing that a happy meal is really a larger portion of food and/or categorically less healthy than a home cooked meal?

Forming habits of moderation and occasional indulgence seems more healthy to me, long term, than a McAbstinence program.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Trent posted:

Is someone arguing that a happy meal is really a larger portion of food and/or categorically less healthy than a home cooked meal?

Forming habits of moderation and occasional indulgence seems more healthy to me, long term, than a McAbstinence program.

If this is in regards to banning food advertising toward children, children are not able to conceptualize the very issue you're talking about and can't make rational choices toward food. This can then create habits that they take with them into later life.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Trent posted:

It's not inherently unhealthy but it's often very calorie dense which makes it easy to inadvertently consume a ton of calories, although there are certainly really calorie dense home cooked meals you can make as well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SlipUp posted:

The extra money could be used to offset higher food prices in food desert area or to buy food more often so that people eat fresh vegetables on a regular basis rather than bulk dried starches.

This has been tried. The result was usually that no one bought the healthy food and the stores began refusing to participate. When accompanied by an aggressive persuasion campaign the fruit (vegetables weren't used in the studies I'd read) were purchased, but the effect stopped shortly after the campaign ended.

Such interventions also required major side payments to store owners, who have no direct incentive to market fruit or vegetables in the specified locations.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
What happens when you go without sugar for 10 days?

quote:

By cutting back sugar for your kids, you can see dramatic improvements in just 10 days. That is pretty remarkable, if you think about it.

We typically think diets take months, or even longer, to make a positive dent. For 43 children, however, Dr. Robert Lustig and his team at University of California, San Francisco, decreased triglyceride levels by 33 points on average. The LDL -- bad -- cholesterol dropped 5 points, as did diastolic blood pressure, the lower number.

All of the children dramatically reduced their risk of diabetes, as their blood sugar and insulin levels normalized. Again, just 10 days. And while the study was done in children, there's no reason to believe the benefits wouldn't extend to adults, as well.

It speaks to what was once an unspeakable idea -- in fact, all calories are not created equal.

As much as we love the simple accounting principles of calorie counting, there are some calories that are simply worse than others, and for most people, sugar is at the top of the list. The table sugar most people know is sucrose, made up of equal parts glucose and fructose. But it is the fructose that is such a bad actor, Lustig told me. The reason why is really fascinating.

Because our bodies use glucose as the preferred energy source, it is easily metabolized and used just about everywhere and the extra is stored in our muscles or liver as glycogen.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with fructose, which is metabolized in only one place -- the liver. And, because the liver can only handle so much fructose at a time, the extra gets converted into fat. Your liver starts to accumulate fat, which is wildly unhealthy. Even worse, the excess fat spills out into your blood stream, increasing your risk of heart disease and strokes.

In ancient times, before sugar and high fructose corn syrup (which are basically the same) became so cheap to refine and produce, we only got our fructose in small amounts, when fruit fell from the trees. Heck, even honey was protected by the bees.

Nowadays, however, we consume 130 pounds a year -- or roughly 1/3 of a pound every day. Our livers, however, have not evolved to keep pace with the staggering increase. As a result, a sugary drink hits your liver like a tsunami wave, according to Lustig.

There is something else peculiar about fructose: Unlike other sources of calories, it doesn't suppress the hunger hormone, known as ghrelin. So, despite eating lots of it, you don't really feel full.

The result: you keep eating. In addition, fructose targets my favorite area of the brain, the nucleus accumbens, also known as the reward center. Turns out fructose gives the nucleus accumbens a little nudge, resulting in someone feeling rewarded, good, even euphoric, and -- you guessed it -- wanting to eat even more.

Lustig and his team wanted to make something very clear in this study.

While many diet studies derive most of their benefit from people simply eating less, it wasn't the case here. While study participants reduced their dietary sugar from 28% to 10%, it was replaced with other complex carbohydrates. Think bagels instead of pastries. The goal was not to lose weight but to isolate the impact of sugar on the body.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's why I drink only water and liquor. If I'm going to punish my liver, I'm gonna get drunk in the process, damnit!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I hate Lustig so drat much. I hate Gupta just as much. Every part of that is bull. HATE HATE HATE I need a minute.

vvvv I'm in a PhD program focusing on bioethics and the miscommunication of science. My long term goal is to work for one of the federal granting agencies and see to it that people like Lustig stop getting money.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 7, 2015

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate Lustig so drat much. I hate Gupta just as much. Every part of that is bull. HATE HATE HATE I need a minute.

have you thought about going into methodology or statistics? you seem like a good fit

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

enraged_camel posted:

Yep, exactly. Marketing to kids is how companies circumvent the rational decision-making process of parents. It's actually a pretty vile tactic if you think about it.

"Mom! Buy me Bonestorm McDonalds or go to hell!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

"Mom! Buy me Bonestorm McDonalds or go to hell!"

Meh, I was thinking of the Mt. Splashmore singalong more.

Edit: to be more constructive: is there any evidence that advertising Happy Meals to kids results in a greater amount of fast food eaten? I can see it resulting in McDonald's having a greater share of that market, but I don't see mum and dad scrapping their plans to cook dinner in order for junior to shovel some poo poo in his face and get a cheap toy.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 7, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PT6A posted:

I honestly have no idea. That's one of the reasons I don't think cycling is a good commuting option for a lot of people. I guess some people don't sweat much, but when I exert myself to any degree (even a brisk walk) I sweat. When I do anything that could actually be termed "exercise," I rain. Without being able to shower and change at work, bicycle commuting would simply be impossible.

This may shock you, but biking to work is not a strenuous activity. I live in an actual bike-friendly city, and literally everyone is capable of riding a bike as part of their daily routine without working up the athlete's funk.

A big part of the whole health issue is that people will happily declare something impossible or unfeasible with absolute conviction when they actually don't have the faintest idea of what they're talking about. Not to slam on you specifically, but that post is a perfect example.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

This may shock you, but biking to work is not a strenuous activity. I live in an actual bike-friendly city, and literally everyone is capable of riding a bike as part of their daily routine without working up the athlete's funk.

A big part of the whole health issue is that people will happily declare something impossible or unfeasible with absolute conviction when they actually don't have the faintest idea of what they're talking about. Not to slam on you specifically, but that post is a perfect example.

I work out daily, including cycling 2-3 times per week. I know how much effort is involved and how much I sweat. Unless I bike very slowly indeed, I will sweat enough that bathing is necessary. It's not that it's even slightly difficult or strenuous, I just sweat like a motherfucker. Maybe it's actually a disorder or something. I get disgustingly sweaty well before I feel even the least bit tired or exerted.

I still walk most places, even with the sweating involved, but it's something that definitely makes me very self-conscious. I remember making jokes about the kid in junior high who looked like he stepped out of the shower 5 minutes into gym class, but I ended up turning into that guy.

Edit: it's literally so bad that I have to be careful about what clothes I wear, because even if I drive/ride in an air-conditioned car on a hot day, I can get a visible sweat-mark where the seatbelt touches me. Walking with a backpack on a hot day? Two giant marks where the straps rest on my shoulders and chest. It sucks.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 7, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Kajeesus posted:

Some people just sweat a lot regardless of whether or not their activity is particularly strenuous. The dumb thing would be to use that as an excuse to avoid physical activity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Some people just sweat a lot regardless of whether or not their activity is particularly strenuous. The dumb thing would be to use that as an excuse to avoid physical activity.

I don't use it as an excuse by any means, I'm just saying if I worked an office job without the ability to shower and/or change, bicycle commuting wouldn't really be a viable option. Office buildings providing showers the same way they do toilets would be a really, really positive change to encourage active commuting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't speak for how much people sweat, but I've never met anyone who smells after doing their daily commute.

PT6A posted:

I work out daily, including cycling 2-3 times per week. I know how much effort is involved and how much I sweat. Unless I bike very slowly indeed, I will sweat enough that bathing is necessary. It's not that it's even slightly difficult or strenuous, I just sweat like a motherfucker. Maybe it's actually a disorder or something. I get disgustingly sweaty well before I feel even the least bit tired or exerted.

I still walk most places, even with the sweating involved, but it's something that definitely makes me very self-conscious. I remember making jokes about the kid in junior high who looked like he stepped out of the shower 5 minutes into gym class, but I ended up turning into that guy.

Edit: it's literally so bad that I have to be careful about what clothes I wear, because even if I drive/ride in an air-conditioned car on a hot day, I can get a visible sweat-mark where the seatbelt touches me. Walking with a backpack on a hot day? Two giant marks where the straps rest on my shoulders and chest. It sucks.

What you're describing does not sound normal to me. I'm a very profuse sweater myself, and I'm all too familiar with the backpack sweats, but it's never been a big issue because it evaporates pretty shortly after I take it off. Do you live in a particularly humid area, maybe?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

I can't speak for how much people sweat, but I've never met anyone who smells after doing their daily commute.

What you're describing does not sound normal to me. I'm a very profuse sweater myself, and I'm all too familiar with the backpack sweats, but it's never been a big issue because it evaporates pretty shortly after I take it off. Do you live in a particularly humid area, maybe?

No, I live in a very dry area (although it's far worse when I travel to a humid place).

I don't think I smell bad even if I sweat, I just feel gross and self-conscious because I can see where I'm sweating through my shirt.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the issue is having a place to shower, which is a reasonable concern in a professional setting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

vvvv I'm in a PhD program focusing on bioethics and the miscommunication of science. My long term goal is to work for one of the federal granting agencies and see to it that people like Lustig stop getting money.

What is "bull" about it exactly? Maybe you can take the time to actually explain it, rather than raging.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

What is "bull" about it exactly? Maybe you can take the time to actually explain it, rather than raging.

Lustig is basically ignored in nutrition circles because he's been caught manipulating or lying about his datasets multiple times. He's built his career on claiming that sugar, especially "processed" sugar, is addictive/toxic/a conspiracy. The statements in the article are designed to frame it so that it's implied sugar has different effects on weight than other caloric sources, then doesn't discuss weight change because it had no effect. The fructose/glucose etc material has been litigated a thousand times, and is part of the ongoing conflict between corn and cane lobbies. People assume HFCS has more fructose (it doesn't), and has different health effects (it doesn't as compared with other caloric sweeteners). The other effects described are either a) the product of manipulating conditions in the study to produce an effect outside of ecological systems, or b) they sound bad but are in fact trivial and well-documented. The "calories are equal" claim is and has always been about weight. Lustig is trying to leverage it to both sides at once by implying that his "establishment" opponents have been applying it to everything. The hunger hormone element hasn't been established or demonstrated in humans-Lustig loves running a mouse model study and jumping from there to "big food is poisoning our children with the toxic addictive sweetener They don't want you to know about".

Gupta will use his credentials to support any trade group or business interest that he thinks is going to win in the medium term in a particular public opinion fight. He's probably also co-invested in or accepting side payments from an interested party.

edit: I pulled the study, and oh look, it's underpowered, performs post hoc changes in data cleaning and participant exclusion and doesn't report test statistics for several of the claims involved. It's pretty obvious that what happened is they got a tiny grant or had a small amount of grant money left over, recruited some minority children (what, the article didn't mention that? what a surprise) and went on a fishing expedition after massively varying their sugar intake using manipulations that you wouldn't normally see in the environment.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 7, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trent posted:

And I suppose you're personally going to drive to everyone's house and tell them this? The point of a media campaign is to make sure everyone has easy access to the information and that it comes in an easy to understand format from a source that seems trustworthy. Your approach includes none of those things.

I should have realized ahead of time that you were going to fishmech the hell out of everything and written out everything in absurd detail, possibly in crayon, so even you couldn't pretend to misunderstand.
Some food is healthier than others, in the sense of providing more important nutrients, or more conducive to weight loss/maintenance, in the sense of having fewer calories, ON A PER VOLUME BASIS. This is important for several reasons. First, we humans expect a certain volume of food, both socially and biologicaly. If we could somehow eat 3000 calories (and all vital nutrients) in a single capsule, one per day, we would be miserable and hungry and feel awful. Since we are not bleep bloop robots, this is an intolerable situation for the vast majority of the population. There are foods that can keep us satiated without providing too many calories for our weight goals, but what they are, and even that they exist, is non-obvious. Furthermore, such micronutrient dense, macronutrient light foods do tend, as a rule, to be more expensive than their higher caloric density counterparts. Examples might be dark greens vs iceberg lettuce or lean cuts of meat vs cheaper, fattier meats. Similarly seafood is generally more expensive, yet POUND FOR POUND healthier than many other meats in terms of both nutrient content and caloric density. Chicken breasts are many times the price of chicken thighs. Therefore to be equally satiated, one must spend more money on breasts or consume more calories of thighs. This shouldn't be a revelation.

There is also a social factor at play. Many people don't have to work as hard to stay fit, and others simply have fewer responsibilities and find exercising easier to fit into their lives. Some are simply morr active because their hobby just happens to be an active one, and they gain a beneficial but unintended weight benefit. Many of these people unknowingly put peer pressure on friends, family and coworkers to drink more, eat more, try some of this appetizer, or just choose restaurants where eating filling but lower calorie meals is all but impossible. They aren't researching fitness and calories and weight loss BECAUSE THEY DON'T NEED TO. Smokers and nonsmokers alike know about second hand smoke, lung cancer, and the fact that there are programs to help you quit, because they were advertised (fairly heavily) to everyone, not a self-selected group. People who don't have, or don't think they have, a weight problem are often discouraging out actively harming the attempts of others AND THEY MOSTLY DON'T REALIZE IT. It is a social problem and requires a non individualistic solution.

Your nutritional libertarianism is, like all libertarianism, only functional in ideal conditions using soulless automatons in a frictionless supermarket and does not obtain in the actual world. Helps you be smug, though, I guess.

The government already puts out information that says to eat less, it doesn't require any sort of special new campaign.

I'm sorry that you get mad at sticking to facts, not opinions? No, there is no scientific and consistent way to say some food is healthier than others. It's either edible food absent of poison, or it isn't. Also, what foods do you think exist that are micronutrient dense but macronutrient light? The only thing that could POSSIBLY be is multivitamins, and vitamin/mineral enhanced zero calorie foods, since all other foods are primarily one or more of fats, carbohydrates, or proteins.

Chicken breasts and chicken thighs tend to have pretty loving close on prices, just fyi. I would know, I was just at the store today! Also, no, seafood is not "healthier" than other meats - in fact many seafoods pose a health danger because of mercury that accumulates in many forms of sea life, and which results in dangerous intake with frequent eating.

This whole paragraph is silly. We all already know that some people enjoy exercise more, or are physically capable of it more, than other people. This is completely irrelevant to the fact that every obese person needs to eat less more than anything else.

Nothing I have said is "libertarianism". You seem to have no idea what it means anymore then when rush limbaugh calls Obamaa a socialist. I'm sorry that the facts: that there is no objective standard of "healthy food" and that obese people primarily need to eat less, registers through your overheated mind as somehow "libertarian".

Glangurn posted:

Can grocery delivery services reach most cities in the USA? Is that sustainable say 500 years from now?

What's reach supposed to mean here? If you mean "is it profitable enough for regular grocery stores to do and cover the starting-up costs" the answer is no, but it's still present in tons of the biggest cities and for wide swathes into their suburbs. But if you mean "could it be done in every city with minor government subsidy, even ideally from a government run grocery" the answer is yes, very yes. And unless we somehow run out of the ability to move a truck 200 miles total in a day, then yes it's sustainable 500 years from now.

And frankly, any city where you couldn't handle delivering food 500 years from now would have long lost mail, and people being able to get to and from work and shops. Grocery delivery is significantly more resource efficient then everyone driving to the stores instead, and still a decent bit more efficient in energy use then walking/public transit to the stores and back. You also benefit from being able to buy in larger amounts which tends to reduce prices - one way the poor can't afford food is that if you have to walk or take public transit, you take more frequent trips to the store and can purchase smaller amounts at once. And those smaller amounts often cost more per unit then larger amount packages.

SlipUp posted:

The child's desire has overwhelming effect on the parents purchasing decisions.

Fast food is way more prevalent than in your small town. Many parents are single and/or work multiple jobs and/or in poverty and don't have the time or the energy to fight a battle with the entire fast food industry over what their picky child will eat Tuesday night and Wednesday lunch when the fast food place is offering a fee toy and all you can eat ranch.

If you're in poverty, you absolutely can not afford to have your family eat fast food in amounts large enough to cause obesity multiple times a week. You'd be lucky to be able to afford it one or two times a month. It doesn't matter how much the child begs, if they're lucky they'll get fast food for their birthday and a few other days throughout the year.

Separately, what bizarre fast food place offers all you can eat anything? Most of 'em will yell at you for taking 3 ketchup packets!

MaxxBot posted:

It's not inherently unhealthy but it's often very calorie dense which makes it easy to inadvertently consume a ton of calories, although there are certainly really calorie dense home cooked meals you can make as well.

Most traditional home cooked meal styles are calorie dense - it's kind of a common feature across traditional cooking. Because old timey folks didn't have the surfeit of food available, and so getting overweight was rarely a concern unless you were rich. You'd typically have a light breakfast and lunch, or maybe just one of those, and then the dinner meal would be most of your food for the day - and most home style recipes are derived from those dinners, rather than lunches or breakfasts.

Discendo Vox posted:

Lustig is basically ignored in nutrition circles because he's been caught manipulating or lying about his datasets multiple times. He's built his career on claiming that sugar, especially "processed" sugar, is addictive/toxic/a conspiracy. The statements in the article are designed to frame it so that it's implied sugar has different effects on weight than other caloric sources, then doesn't discuss weight change because it had no effect. The fructose/glucose etc material has been litigated a thousand times, and is part of the ongoing conflict between corn and cane lobbies. People assume HFCS has more fructose (it doesn't), and has different health effects (it doesn't as compared with other caloric sweeteners). The other effects described are either a) the product of manipulating conditions in the study to produce an effect outside of ecological systems, or b) they sound bad but are in fact trivial and well-documented. The "calories are equal" claim is and has always been about weight. Lustig is trying to leverage it to both sides at once by implying that his "establishment" opponents have been applying it to everything. The hunger hormone element hasn't been established or demonstrated in humans-Lustig loves running a mouse model study and jumping from there to "big food is poisoning our children with the toxic addictive sweetener They don't want you to know about".

Gupta will use his credentials to support any trade group or business interest that he thinks is going to win in the medium term in a particular public opinion fight. He's probably also co-invested in or accepting side payments from an interested party.

Would it be accurate to say that Lustig is to sugar and nutrition in general, as the Seralini "study" was to GMOs?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why would you complain about chicken breast vs. chicken thigh? It's a difference of 50 calories/4oz. serving, which, as fismech noted previously, is basically gently caress all if you eat a reasonable serving of chicken.

Even if you eat a 12oz. ribeye, that's still only 924 calories all on it's own, and that's basically the fattiest cut of meat I can think of in a large quantity. If you have a Big Mac for lunch (550 calories) and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast (let's say you put some honey and whatnot on it, and say it's 300 calories) you're still going to lose weight. Now, this is a horrible diet that's far too high in fat and low in other nutrients, but it won't actually make you fat if you're an average-sized person.

Fishmech is correct that the problem is mainly that people are just eating too loving much of whatever they're eating.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

fishmech posted:

Would it be accurate to say that Lustig is to sugar and nutrition in general, as the Seralini "study" was to GMOs?

Not entirely- the sugar complaints/conflict isn't as serious or extreme a set of misconceptions as the GMO issue, although it is a serious problem, and Lustig has more core credibility than Seralini- he still gets federal funding, infuriatingly. People do avoid him at conferences, though. His talks are the sort of thing that's awkwardly suffered through and ignored because those in attendance know enough not to trust his data.

Here's a decent example of the sort of thing Lustig does/says and his interaction with the lay press. Notice the mixture of entirely valid comments such as "don't shop hungry" with "don't eat processed foods" and omega 3 and omega 6 claims that are uncertain.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 8, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hey Vox, I'm curious what your take is one stories like this one: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

quote:

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"

[...]

"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."

I found it interesting that the professor was somewhat annoyed that his diet worked, as it flies in the face of most popularized claims made about dieting, and I like that he refused to draw any concrete conclusions about it based on his sample size of one, but you're much more involved in these sciences than I am.

Here's his list of publications: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=U3fbTXUAAAAJ&hl=en

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Here's my hot take: please don't send me to CNN health news, it's junk brain food that ought to have its serving sizes restricted in NY and CA due to its effects on Vox-sized individuals' blood pressure. The article is clickbait and says very little based on "a thing happened" that illustrates nothing new or interesting.

If the dork's gonna do a stupid stunt diet then he's hoping to get something out of it-most likely media coverage. It's not exactly rigorously controlled, but if his intake and output, which isn't reported were consistent then irregular results would in fact be interesting because they'd violate basic rules of thermodynamics. As an illustration for a class he's teaching it could actually be effective as an illustration of the real "calorie is a calorie" claim, setting aside all the massive method problems we'd expect from actual research. His caveating was appropriate, but it raises the quesiton of why he's talking to the press about it in the first place. I don't know nutrition as a field well enough to speak to his publication record or his department without actually doing a ton of research I don't have the time for right now. The other material about cholesterol etc are bunk because there's not enough precise information about intake or mechanisms to matter, and those systems are more complex anyways.

I gotta emphasize that I really don't know all that much about stats or methods that anyone here couldn't surpass in a week of moderately intense study-I mean, I'm a social scientist, after all. The main difficulty is that the more you learn about philsci and applied statistics or methods of research, the more depressed you get.

vvvv what makes them poo poo? Also, where are they being offered?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 10, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Buffalo Wild Wings is introducing a Mountain Dew flavored wing in honor of the Citrus Bowl.

I think if you want to help curb the problem, stop introducing poo poo like Mountain Dew flavored wings.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cole posted:

Buffalo Wild Wings is introducing a Mountain Dew flavored wing in honor of the Citrus Bowl.

I think if you want to help curb the problem, stop introducing poo poo like Mountain Dew flavored wings.

There's literally nothing in mountain dew that's worse than what we normally put on wings. Buffalo Wild Wings signature sauce is 50 calories an oz. Teriyaki sauce is 32. Mountain dew is 14. Also, buffalo wings are relatively mild as far as greasy food goes, because of their small size and expense; a 10 count will set you back about 650 calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's literally nothing in mountain dew that's worse than what we normally put on wings. Buffalo Wild Wings signature sauce is 50 calories an oz. Teriyaki sauce is 32. Mountain dew is 14. Also, buffalo wings are relatively mild as far as greasy food goes, because of their small size and expense; a 10 count will set you back about 650 calories.

It's like all the hysteria over the Double Down. People generally don't have a very good handle on how many calories are in various things. Also, classic buffalo sauce is pretty much just butter and hot sauce, it's no surprise that it's pretty high in calories.

EDIT: Further, I suggest that making more things taste like Mountain Dew is a pretty good way to discourage consumption. Mountain Dew is loving disgusting and is for babbies who want caffeine but can't handle the strong taste of coffee with milk and sugar.

• Locked thread