Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Grey's Anatomy related thing is this Cracked article titled "8 New TV Show Ideas Almost as Stupid as 'Grey's Anatomy'".

Yes it's a link to Cracked.com. Don't click if you are to pretentious for poo poo like that. If you are like me and love to read rants that you agree with in order to feel vindicated, it's a pro click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ufarn posted:

There's a special place in hell for the show that shares a large responsibility for the moral-of-the-story voiceover trope on TV.

For every action, there is an equal reaction...

The human brain uses 4% of its capacity...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man I really want to contribute to that TVIV poll, but I don't think I've watched 10 good shows from this year... I've got six so far, and everything else I remember watching was bad. I guess I should watch some more shows really quick...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ufarn posted:

Priyanka Chopra's amazing, and her status and reputation are well-earnt, but acting is not in the top three of things a Bollywood demands of someone. It's still sad that she's been 15 years in the business and didn't find a way to hold her acting to a higher international standard.

And Bollywood movies are so skull-numbingly terrible (plot- and acting-wise at least!) that it's hard to explain to outsiders just how low the standards for acting are there. They don't exactly do a lot of subtle acting.

I don't think Priyanka Chopra is the real problem with Quantico, the real fact is the show is so loving bad you could slap of the best actresses in history in that show and it wouldn't help.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think Priyanka Chopra is the real problem with Quantico, the real fact is the show is so loving bad you could slap of the best actresses in history in that show and it wouldn't help.

All I've seen of it that sneak peak posted earlier of the "you don't me enough eye contact/how do I know if I'm gonna get dumped?"

loving lol. Meryl Streep couldn't save that poo poo.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snak posted:

Man I really want to contribute to that TVIV poll, but I don't think I've watched 10 good shows from this year... I've got six so far, and everything else I remember watching was bad. I guess I should watch some more shows really quick...
You can cheat and put Last Week Tonight there.

sbaldrick posted:

Oh no doubt, but Chopra also doesn't appear to have the acument to calibrate her performance to the tone and silliness of the show. Again, not that it's a great vehicle, but I don't think it was inevitable for her to look as bad on the show as she does.

She's a great actress insofar that she does a great job in her Bollywood movies, but I don't think she's got much experience to speak of doing acting-acting. I've yet to see Mary Kom - she was lovely in Barfi - and I didn't bother watching 7 Khoon Maaf, which looked terrible. She's obviously free to do what she wants, but rather than doing four movies a year, I think it would have been good for her to hone her acting-acting skills in some other way.

When you look at Shah Rukh Khan who's more or less the biggest (male) actor in Bollywood, you have to use an electron microscope to find great acting talent. Same for Hrithic Roshan's (and Ranveer Singh's) performances.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 6, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't really watched Last Week Tonight.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snak posted:

I haven't really watched Last Week Tonight.
who are you

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

For every action, there is an equal reaction...

The human brain uses 4% of its capacity...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

"Chemistry proves that the human soul is real"

-Breaking Bad S1

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sleeveless posted:

e. Didn't the try somethign similar with Taxi Brooklyn when it had a big French actor?

To be fair, Taxi Brooklyn had a WONDERFUL final episode. Half the people got shot, the other half got blown up, all in one big "gently caress you guys WE ALL BURN" resolution to the plot.

I liked that show. I like a lot of shows that get cancelled, which probably says something for my taste.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mu Zeta posted:

In the run up to the Quantico premiere there were tons of articles about how NBC landed this amazing actor from India and that it's a real game changer in Hollywood. Well the show is loving terrible and she sucks. The gently caress were they talking about?

Bollywood actresses need to be able to dance and sing and perform. They don't need to know how to act.

There are good Indian movies with great acting but that's not what Bollywood means.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the cold case happy ghost

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starz is running a commercial for their shows and big movies they have coming up, except for some reason one of the movies they showcase is The Raven, which came out in 2012.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The Bill Murray Christmas special on Netflix. It's literally like he put on a variety show purely for the amusement of himself and his friends, and didn't have or need more than a hundred bucks and a lot of top-shelf booze.

I'm pretty sure it's going to leave a fair number of people confused and angry and I'm not sure I want to hear from any of them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched it in the background while actively talking in IRC which is probably the perfect way to watch it. It's totally fine but nothing special, at least until the dream sequence bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

The Bill Murray Christmas special on Netflix. It's literally like he put on a variety show purely for the amusement of himself and his friends, and didn't have or need more than a hundred bucks and a lot of top-shelf booze.

I'm pretty sure it's going to leave a fair number of people confused and angry and I'm not sure I want to hear from any of them.

The first 15 or so minutes is kind of crappy with the lame setup but once he gets to the bar with Jenny Lewis it becomes great and stays great. It's really fun. Also they should have had Jenny Lewis sing more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sleeveless posted:

As much as people whine about American blockbusters being cookie-cutter and lowest-common-denominator they still don't have poo poo on how bad Indian movies are. The last thing we want to be doing is trying to take cues from them.

e. Didn't the try somethign similar with Taxi Brooklyn when it had a big French actor?

:rip: Taxi Brooklyn, too beautiful for this world

corn in the bible posted:

the cold case happy ghost

*smiles and nods approvingly as the villain is taken away in cuffs, fades into the ether*

raditts fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 6, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bruceski posted:

To be fair, Taxi Brooklyn had a WONDERFUL final episode

That show was amazing but not even I made it to the final episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The show was best watched in the form of clips on The Soup, but the episode that was a clumsy knockoff of Assault on Precinct 13 was pure art that deserves to be watched in full

If people in this forum are convincing themselves that Z-Nation is a legit good show worth watching, then Taxi Brooklyn should be required viewing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

Starz is running a commercial for their shows and big movies they have coming up, except for some reason one of the movies they showcase is The Raven, which came out in 2012.

LOOOOOONGFELOW!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the Bill Murray special comparable to the Colbert one from a bunch of years ago? I just couldn't get into that one :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

If people in this forum are convincing themselves that Z-Nation is a legit good show worth watching, then Taxi Brooklyn should be required viewing.

Z Nation is a legit good show worth watching, the only people that need convincing are those who haven't seen it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

everyone in the world died but my glasses broke

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BSam posted:

That show was amazing but not even I made it to the final episode.

It really is "gently caress you, everybody dies" for an hour. Rather cathartic, as long as you already know the show's done for.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the Bill Murray special comparable to the Colbert one from a bunch of years ago? I just couldn't get into that one :(

It's very earnest.

I liked it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BSam posted:

It's very earnest.

I liked it.

I think I just wasn't expecting that when it aired, I should give it another go. I tried to find a copy of Knowing Me Knowing Yule with Alan Partridge on YouTube to post here, as that's the quintessential comedy talk show Xmas special.

---

CBS seems really desperate for people to watch Big Bang Theory the next two weeks. They announced online exactly what and how resolves the storyline that's been in place since last season, and now the commercials are showing the same thing. I know it's a sitcom so story arcs aren't sacred, but it's still a bit lovely to spell everything out before it airs. Let's see them do that with a drama and not have people get lovely about it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

EL BROMANCE posted:

CBS seems really desperate for people to watch Big Bang Theory the next two weeks.

Does that show not still get monster ratings?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

CBS seems really desperate for people to watch Big Bang Theory the next two weeks. They announced online exactly what and how resolves the storyline that's been in place since last season, and now the commercials are showing the same thing. I know it's a sitcom so story arcs aren't sacred, but it's still a bit lovely to spell everything out before it airs. Let's see them do that with a drama and not have people get lovely about it.

Spoil it for me, I, like everyone under 60, do not watch commercials. Are they resolving the dumb Amy broke up with Sheldon bullshit?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This week they get back together, next week he bangs her.

The storyline meant we got a bit of Stephen Merchant at least.

E: I saw the ad during football, it's the only time I ever see the things too. Did you know there's a new car and a new fast food?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lycus posted:

Does that show not still get monster ratings?

It does, but they're probably trying to spike them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is the Obama speech supposed to preempt stuff tonight?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's at 8pm EST so probably. Not sure exactly what is gonna be done since it seemed like it was pretty short notice?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably announcing something big

ufarn
May 30, 2009
He cancelled his appearance at the Kennedy Center Honors, so it's probably gonna be a big deal, yeah.

You can view a a countdown livestream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGxh_NU1KUs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

"My fellow Americans, it turns out there was a glitch so everything fine, but these things are really difficult to cancel once you've arranged them. So, how was your weekend?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

who are you

I mean I've seen some clips, but I don't have HBO? I tend not to watch shows I don't get? When they finally put HBO Now on ps4 I'll probably get it. My roommate talked about getting it on her amazon fire and moving that to the living room, so that might also happen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's interesting times we live in when I can't tell if he's going to announce WWIII or a veto on the senate vote to repeal PPACA.

Or more likely more ineffective executive orders making a vague attempt at gun control. Who knows!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

It's interesting times we live in when I can't tell if he's going to announce WWIII or a veto on the senate vote to repeal PPACA.

Now I have a pretty funny mental image of "announcing a war".

"My fellow Americans... I bring you: A New War!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Now I have a pretty funny mental image of "announcing a war".

"My fellow Americans... I bring you: A New War!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8iOmVd1W_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

IRQ posted:

Or more likely more ineffective executive orders making a vague attempt at gun control. Who knows!

whitehouse.gov posted:

Summary: Watch live at 8pm ET on Sunday, December 6, when President Obama will deliver an address on his top priority: Keeping Americans safe.
Unless he plans on bombing ISIS with healthcare, it's not gonna be that.

• Locked thread