Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You've come far! 63 pages is a great accomplishment.

Time to add evocative point-of-view text to the Classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Time to add evocative point-of-view text to the Classes.

Taken a first pass at this. Also added a rush job cover image.

Edit: On another note, how do people fell about "scenes" as a measure of time in PbtA games? One of the Inquisitor's moves "Fight Fire with Fire" is an Artifact that is basically two moves in one, but using the moves generates Corruption. I feel like using the Artifact should generate Corruption each time it is used, but that a given combat scene should count as a single use. Is it reasonable to talk about getting Corruption at the end of a scene in which the Artifact is used?

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

thefakenews posted:

I've made some substantial additions to Malleus, my 17th Century monster hunting hack. Still mulling new archetypes, and it needs more commentary on the moves, as well as proper GMing advice but the majority of the mechanical stuff is now in place.

I got some very useful feed back from a few people last time I posted, so if anyone wants to take a look I would be super grateful. Looking to lineup some more play testing, including over Roll20 if anyone is interested.

The current draft is here.

I'd love to playtest. Set up a doodle.
You have a few typos in the new Archetype sections, an incorrect your or its, and a few signs that you rewrote sentences (tense/number errors). You also say Darkness and Light a billion times; I'd try them as second person, or go for 3rd person mythic. The Rakehell is the best here.

Ex: Some people say the Inquisitors are as dangerous as the monsters they track.
They don't say this to an Inquisitor's face.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sorry for Doublepost.

Creating a new game called HollyWorld, where you get rich/find happyness/go insane in Los Angeles. It's come along a shitton faster than my previous attempt (Facts and Matters of Family Life) and will be playtestable by the end of the year.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

thefakenews posted:

Taken a first pass at this. Also added a rush job cover image.

Edit: On another note, how do people fell about "scenes" as a measure of time in PbtA games? One of the Inquisitor's moves "Fight Fire with Fire" is an Artifact that is basically two moves in one, but using the moves generates Corruption. I feel like using the Artifact should generate Corruption each time it is used, but that a given combat scene should count as a single use. Is it reasonable to talk about getting Corruption at the end of a scene in which the Artifact is used?

I feel like this idea already exists in the form of some moves having "you'll have to act fast" or "the effect doesn't last for long" as complications, so having a move say it only works for a short period of time is fine. Gives you a perfect opportunity to show a downside to their class as a pretty hard move.

Not sure of a great way to say that. Maybe something like "They can gain great temporary power, but rarely can they stave off corruption for long once the battle ends." Something where how long it lasts is generally a fight but leaves you open to fun complications. Maybe an enemy knows about the time limit and specifically is trying to rope-a-dope dodge until it wears off.

Sounds like a cool idea!

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

You have a few typos in the new Archetype sections, an incorrect your or its, and a few signs that you rewrote sentences (tense/number errors). You also say Darkness and Light a billion times; I'd try them as second person, or go for 3rd person mythic. The Rakehell is the best here.

Ex: Some people say the Inquisitors are as dangerous as the monsters they track.
They don't say this to an Inquisitor's face.

I've cheated on this and asked my fiction writer friend to do the archetype descriptions. The first three have been re-done and the Scholar is in progress.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Golden Bee posted:

I'd love to playtest. Set up a doodle.

This.

Also, I like the font.

Edit:

Here are some maths about Blessed / Cursed.

Average Outcomes

"At Least" Outcomes

Probability of Roll Outcome Difference

2d6, Blessed, 2d6+1, and 2d6+2 Graphed

Looks like it's close to 2d6+2 in the critical period (6 -- 10), but with a softer curve.

These were all generated with anydice.com and

code:
output {1,2}@3d6 named "Blessed"
output {2,3}@3d6 named "Cursed"
output 2d6 named "Normal"
output 2d6+1 named "2d6+1"
output 2d6+2 named "2d6+2"
The median cases for blesses are +1 and +2, and the median cases for cursed is -2 and -1.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 1, 2015

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Set up a doodle.

I don't know what this means?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I assume this, it's a scheduling tool of some sort. From the example, you can have everyone say when they're free and get a numerical readout at the bottom for how many people can make it for that block, so you can try and find the most convenient time for everyone more easily.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thefakenews posted:

I don't know what this means?

http://doodle.com

People sign in and vote on a time where most of them are able to game (or do whatever).

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

DemonMage posted:

I assume this, it's a scheduling tool of some sort. From the example, you can have everyone say when they're free and get a numerical readout at the bottom for how many people can make it for that block, so you can try and find the most convenient time for everyone more easily.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

http://doodle.com

People sign in and vote on a time where most of them are able to game (or do whatever).

Ok, thanks.

Hopefully I did this right. I pretty much set it up so any day from now to Christmas can be voted for.

Edit:

QuantumNinja posted:

Also, I like the font.

There's some more info about the typeface here. It is digitized from a 17th century typeface.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 1, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Things I learned today: Do not do PVP in Urban Shadows.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Covok posted:

Things I learned today: Do not do PVP in Urban Shadows.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Things I learned today: Do not sit there and watch while people do PVP in Urban Shadows.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Things I learned today: If you're going to PVP in urban shadows, be the Hunter

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm looking forward to Mistaya seeing these posts and asking what happened.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Can you clarify? I've been reading the book and it was in the stance that it could do PVP perfectly fine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TurninTrix posted:

Can you clarify? I've been reading the book and it was in the stance that it could do PVP perfectly fine.

Let me take you through what happened:

One of the players, Quantum Ninja's Benny, made a rumor that the Vampires were going after another player, Sevensocks's Alex, for taking people out and making things inconvenient. He rolled a 6- and I said the Vampires, through his allegiance to Alex, were going after him.

Flash forward, Quantum Ninja is saved by a trap left by one vampire faction by one of the vampire mafia that he's friendly towards. Things are going well, but it quickly becomes clear that she has a agenda. She calls in her debts with him to ask him to prove his loyalty. Quantum Ninja's Benny, after all, is on almost friend-like terms to the head to the head of this vampire mafia family, but associates himself with a hunter who is causing them problems and was trying to go after him in the past. This put Quantum Ninja's loyalty into question so they asked him to kill Sevensocks' Alex. Quantum Ninja considers refusing the debt, but decides to take them up on the offer.

Flash forward, Sevensocks is trying to get his job back at the FBI. Since he was fired for insanity for claiming werewolves killed his team has been backed up with the government knowing the supernatural exist, he feels like he could get his old gig back. After some effort, he gets a job as a deniable agent.

Flash backwards, Quantum Ninja was acting very loud (as in doing big heists and going after big names in close succession and not sneakily) and made enemies of a lot people way long ago. He ended up getting the attention of law enforcement. When Sevensocks decided to make a debt to escape (it's one of the results), I had him rescued by one of his old FBI buddies who now was the head of the supernatural affairs division of the FBI. He gets a job to try to "investigate and take care of" a wizard who has been at the center of a lot of big incidents. Sevensocks was going to take the job until he realized his buddy had gone all "ends justify means" and had pre-kidnapped his daughter as leverage, if needed. Using Quantum Ninja as bait, he was able to lure this guy out to an isolated area and killed him secretly. No one found out.

Flash forward, the new head of the supernatural affairs division wants sevensocks to take out Quantum Ninja since, due to fact that the previous head died going after him, are convinced he killed the previous head. Basically, this was the last mission the previous head gave out, he got personally involved, then he got killed: makes Quantum Ninja seem like a likely cause.

Now, to take a step back, I do give characters conflicting goals in a lot of sessions or have things set up to cause differences of opinions to clash. I feel it kind of makes sense for a street level crime game, even with supernatural overtones. This isn't the first time I was so direct, but it is the first time people took me up on this idea.

Now, I was expecting sabotage, politicking, and maybe a quick scuffle out of the ordeal. Perhaps even the two trying to get themselves out of this without killing each other. Maybe one would kill the other, but, well, recently I played AW for the first time and players being against players almost felt encourages, this was the same engine, and it fits with the emulated genre (gang crime).

However, it didn't really work out. It got a little meta-game-y, a little "cold war"-ish, and, finally, they both decided to just go straight for it in public. Thing is, I wasn't expecting direct combat between the two and the game doesn't support that in the way my group and I would prefer.

It was over quick because a 12+ on advanced Unleash forced a Hunter victory (surrender or be incapacitated: QN chose surrender), but then it got tense a bit with how to deal with things. Doesn't help that Quantum Ninja's End Move could really gently caress Sevensocks depending on how he set it out and Sevensocks really didn't want to lose Quantum Ninja's friend, Mistaya's, trust since he planned on training his daughter to be a hunter. So, he decided to not to kill him and now are stuck trying to figure things out.

Ya know, saying this all out loud, it doesn't sound like it really went that bad, mechanically. Maybe? Could have been our view on things or our mutual attitude on it? I'm not sure because, strangely, it doesn't sound like it went that bad, except for the meta-game-y cold war part, really. I'm not sure. But we kind of agreed not to put PCs ever so directly against each other since it doesn't jive with how our group thinks games should be. Honestly, I think it's fair to say none of us where having fun with it after a certain point and that means we should avoid scenarios like that in the future.

Like, hell, Sevensocks said one reason he didn't kill QN was because he honestly felt like a dick if he did.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

All that and my takeaway was "The Unleash move is really powerful on a 12+".

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Covok posted:

Ya know, saying this all out loud, it doesn't sound like it really went that bad, mechanically. Maybe? Could have been our view on things or our mutual attitude on it? I'm not sure because, strangely, it doesn't sound like it went that bad, except for the meta-game-y cold war part, really. I'm not sure.

Eh, I think it went pretty bad mechanically, but you skipped over precisely how. Basically, the cold war thing can easily spiral out of control in Urban Shadows. When you can play politics and use Workshops to try to ruin the other person slowly, the game can quickly turn into ~3-4 sessions of trying to come up with the perfect plant o deal with the other player. Which means the other PCs, who had previously be working with us on stuff, would be stuck between us and generally entertaining themselves while we spent entire sessions just working on murdering each other. And this sort of has to happen because politics are a codified part of the system via Debts.

Some people might enjoy that. Neither of the players involved seemed willing to press that, though, so we decided "screw it, we'll meet up to brawl and let the dice decide". I mean, a Wizard can pull 4-armor with channeling, so maybe Benny could deal with the Hunter's 6 damage on a 10+ attack and manage to get a good upper hand.

That's when things get lousy. The way you attack people in Urban Shadows is with Unleash:

Urban Shadows posted:

Unleash
When you unleash an attack on someone, roll with Blood. On a hit, you inflict harm as established and choose 1:
» Inflict terrible harm
» Take something from them
On a 7-9, choose 1 from below as well:
» They inflict harm on you
» You find yourself in a bad spot

And here's the advancement of that move:

Urban Shadows posted:

Unleash
On a 12+, your target chooses: surrender completely or you incapacitate them.

This might as well read: "On a 12+, you instantly win combat. Congratulations!"

So in literally the first volley, the Wizard lost to the Hunter's advanced Unleash. Seeing as we were on a train platform, the Hunter had the option to just... throw the Wizard in front of a train. Then I pointed out the Wizard's Death Curse could literally unmake the Hunter's entire long-term goals, and the Hunter decided not to follow through.

For system failure, I think the complaint stems from how Urban Shadows treats combat: it tries to ignore it and avoid it at essentially all cost. Unlike Apoc World, there isn't an interesting and rich infrastructure for throwing down. The fight felt cheap: we were sort of hyped up to see which of us would win in a fight, and the advancement of Unleash unceremoniously declared one the winner. Compared to the Battle Moves of Apocalypse World, which would have guaranteed a good and interesting fight, which would have been a crazy fight across Grand Central Station, we just got the Hunter getting an ace roll. I don't think it felt satisfying to anyone involved---it certainly didn't to me.

Edit:

Golden Bee posted:

All that and my takeaway was "The Unleash move is really powerful on a 12+".

This is a good summary of the post I just wrote.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 3, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

A shame that it was over so quickly, but I think I would have had a blast to play street-level magic cold war.

...but I guese the other players would not, if they were not interested. Mmhm. I wonder if it is at all possible to do that while keeping the rest of the group entertained.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

This might as well read: "On a 12+, you instantly win combat. Congratulations!"

So in literally the first volley, the Wizard lost to the Hunter's advanced Unleash. Seeing as we were on a train platform, the Hunter had the option to just... throw the Wizard in front of a train. Then I pointed out the Wizard's Death Curse could literally unmake the Hunter's entire long-term goals, and the Hunter decided not to follow through.

For system failure, I think the complaint stems from how Urban Shadows treats combat: it tries to ignore it and avoid it at essentially all cost. Unlike Apoc World, there isn't an interesting and rich infrastructure for throwing down. The fight felt cheap: we were sort of hyped up to see which of us would win in a fight, and the advancement of Unleash unceremoniously declared one the winner. Compared to the Battle Moves of Apocalypse World, which would have guaranteed a good and interesting fight, which would have been a crazy fight across Grand Central Station, we just got the Hunter getting an ace roll. I don't think it felt satisfying to anyone involved---it certainly didn't to me.

Okay, I totally get this. I suppose not even the Hinder move can do much against a really, really good roll on an advanced Unleash move.

On the other hand, that 12+ description works nearly the same as AW's advanced Go Aggro move, so I dunno if it's unique to this game. I guess custom moves would be the way to go, if it ever happens again?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I haven't read Urban Shadows, does it have something like the go aggro/seize by force split?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

A shame that it was over so quickly, but I think I would have had a blast to play street-level magic cold war.

...but I guese the other players would not, if they were not interested. Mmhm. I wonder if it is at all possible to do that while keeping the rest of the group entertained.

In cases like this i let players control npcs and they usually all have a blast.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya guys, quick question but has anyone got something a bit like Hunter the Vigil for apoc world? Was wondering about running it either IRL or on here. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys, quick question but has anyone got something a bit like Hunter the Vigil for apoc world? Was wondering about running it either IRL or on here. Thanks!
Monster Of The Week

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Awesome, and as a secondary update is it any good? And/or were there any simple reskins of the AW format to go alongside this? Thanks again for the info so promptly too!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Josef bugman posted:

Awesome, and as a secondary update is it any good? And/or were there any simple reskins of the AW format to go alongside this? Thanks again for the info so promptly too!

It's not just reskins, but it's definitely an early hack that has some issues thematically. It tries to do too much and is pretty kitchen-sink. I've ran a Resident Evil game, a street-level detective game and a wandering Supernatural-style game with the same system, and they felt pretty similar despite their obvious differences in story and pacing.

That being said, it's still a solid game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There was a 2nd edition of Monster of the Week. I'm not sure how many of the initial issues it had were fixed by the new edition. Probably some of them!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

bewilderment posted:

There was a 2nd edition of Monster of the Week. I'm not sure how many of the initial issues it had were fixed by the new edition. Probably some of them!

A lot but not all of them. It's got a huge number of core playbooks.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Golden Bee posted:

A lot but not all of them. It's got a huge number of core playbooks.

If you look back one page we listed them all actually, and linked the not-in-the-books ones too.

I haven't played it yet, but I'm hoping to run a game in January.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

If you look back one page we listed them all actually, and linked the not-in-the-books ones too.
By most of them I meant "fixed most rules".

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Golden Bee posted:

By most of them I meant "fixed most rules".

Sorry, no, I mean most of the playbooks are posted on the last page. I'm not familiar with 1e, so I can't gauge what's changed/been fixed.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Having finally dived into Witcher 3, I really really want to make a PbtA game with the same sorts of ideas, maybe playbooks are unique witchers/slayers or something.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fenarisk posted:

Having finally dived into Witcher 3, I really really want to make a PbtA game with the same sorts of ideas, maybe playbooks are unique witchers/slayers or something.

I had a discussion on g+ with someone wanting the exact thing.

I'd say AW is pretty spot on with minimal hacking needed.

Basically, what I would do:
-Reskin the existing playbooks
-Take potions from the DW alchemist class, and make it a basic move.
-Give everyone one 'custom weapon' per the battlebabe rules (the battlebabe still gets two, and maybe an extra option if you feel it would be more fair that way)
-Port over some of the more 'in fiction' tags from DW, nothing like +damage, but like "glows in the presence of Y enemy".

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah I would say it's quite serviceable. Like others have said it's an early hack and has a lot of the issues that plagued them in that it was trying to do way too much and as a result feels pretty bland and samey. The rules are solid as long as you follow the principles laid out for you. IIRC the second edition mostly just cleared up the wording on some of the moves and added a few more playbooks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

So I've done the first draft of HOLLYWORLD!

One of my design choices was to make physical violence secondary, turning into one basic move and one book move (Pull Hair and Bite).
I'm going to playtest this month but this is the first game-game I've really made.

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Hey, I was going to start a monsterhearts game and was wondering how you squire the second skins pdf. I can't find a link to buy it anywhere. I have a player who is incredibly interested in the neighbor. Any help would be lovely.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

LordZoric posted:

Yeah I would say it's quite serviceable. Like others have said it's an early hack and has a lot of the issues that plagued them in that it was trying to do way too much and as a result feels pretty bland and samey. The rules are solid as long as you follow the principles laid out for you. IIRC the second edition mostly just cleared up the wording on some of the moves and added a few more playbooks.

Hmm, in which case I may give it a miss till after Christmas, still trying to work out a good way to play Hunter the Vigil without the whole "enjoy the several billion pages of rules" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ForgedIron posted:

Hey, I was going to start a monsterhearts game and was wondering how you squire the second skins pdf. I can't find a link to buy it anywhere. I have a player who is incredibly interested in the neighbor. Any help would be lovely.

It's been being written for ages now, I think. I backed it and I don't think I have a backer copy yet.