Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, are the three enemies at the end of "A New Rival?" supposed to be wiping out my party in like 5 attacks even though I'm at level 14 and this quest opened up at level 12? Or is my armor just that terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there any way to view what exactly gear attributes like "draw surge II" do? Or is there an online guide that does? If you go to the weapon manufacturers to upgrade the gear attributes you can see exactly that info, but only if the item is upgradable.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Currently downloading all of the textures and stuff so it runs better off the CD. Is there any game mechanic that unlocks later where you should wait until then to do quests and stuff? Also, what is so important in the manual? Without playing the game I don't know what is or isn't in the tutorial that would be good to know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Currently downloading all of the textures and stuff so it runs better off the CD. Is there any game mechanic that unlocks later where you should wait until then to do quests and stuff? Also, what is so important in the manual? Without playing the game I don't know what is or isn't in the tutorial that would be good to know.

Yes. If you absolutely want to see everything get to at least Chapter 6 so you get Skells.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, what is so important in the manual? Without playing the game I don't know what is or isn't in the tutorial that would be good to know.

The manual basically has everything. The in-game tutorials do not actually teach you a lot of the game's systems.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zore posted:

Oh, thats good to know!

My one issue with Galactic Knight, much as I love the class aesthetics and play style, is that they're really built around Beam Buffs/Debuffs... but none of their artes do Beam Damage unless you're wielding a weapon from the right manufacturer so it really feels like you have to use those weapons to get the most out of them and all the Ether/Electric/Thermal/Physical weapons are left to rot.

And the worst part is that those weapons look the dumbest :(.

there's an unlockable photon saber art (from one of doug's affinity quests i think) that reduces ether resistance, and blast fencer gets a skill to boost ether damage. you'll probably have to get skills from other classes if you want to go with some other damage type.

Tender Bender posted:

Is there any way to view what exactly gear attributes like "draw surge II" do? Or is there an online guide that does? If you go to the weapon manufacturers to upgrade the gear attributes you can see exactly that info, but only if the item is upgradable.

the only other thing i know of is to go to the augment creation menu and find it. draw surge makes you more likely to do your weapon drawing soul voice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Waffleman_ posted:

The manual basically has everything. The in-game tutorials do not actually teach you a lot of the game's systems.

Personally my eyes kinda glaze over a little trying to work through the manual. I should probably print it and read it at work or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also - is there anything you lock yourself out of over time? If I stay relatively close to the story stuff until Skells unlock, will I still be able to go back and binge on side content?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also - is there anything you lock yourself out of over time? If I stay relatively close to the story stuff until Skells unlock, will I still be able to go back and binge on side content?

You're going to be forced to do a fair amount of side content as it is to progress in the story.

There are a few things that lock out based on time, but they almost exclusively happen after chapter 9 which is way after you get Skells.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is there a good reference for what the different "elements"armour protects against? Im guessing that the first 2 on the top row are melee and ranged damage but I have no idea for sure which is which. I checked the manual but couldn't see anything there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:stare: Overdrive is some poo poo, huh? Blew right through some welkin auravises I needed to kill for a quest, when they'd been oneshotting everbody before.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I made the mistake of trying to recruit Alexa before Chapter 5. Oops.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Senerio posted:

i thought i was really smart by avoiding that one until i got a skell.

then i took frye's quest, which sends you to the same place.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I can't believe how fun it is to get around in this game; moving around in Xenoblade was okay but your characters were so slow unless you gemmed up for it.
I'm thinking of other games that tried copying XB's massive environments, like Tales of Zestiria. They sure hosed up though because movement in that game is so slow and there's nothing interesting to see or nice places to explore so the world just feels giant for no reason and it makes the game unplayable essentially.
XBX did it right by letting you run fast as gently caress, jump really high, give you some really cool platforming that leads you to cool places and new shortcuts, and peppers the world with challenging enemies and not that many level walls. It's really nice.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Senerio posted:

Huh? I just finished her recruitment mission before starting chapter 5 with no issues, am I super over levelled? What are you referring to?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inflammatory posted:

the only other thing i know of is to go to the augment creation menu and find it. draw surge makes you more likely to do your weapon drawing soul voice.

Eh, that's better than what I was doing. Thanks!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Bland posted:

Huh? I just finished her recruitment mission before starting chapter 5 with no issues, am I super over levelled? What are you referring to?

It's not the difficulty. It's the swim. It was 10 minutes of doing nothing while pressing R+B and left stick down.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Bland posted:

swimming halfway across the planet.

e: come to think of it though you don't get skells until after chapter 6.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I haven't check it but can't you just use auto-run with swim too?

Edit: Yeah, Auto-Run works for swimming too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 7, 2015

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Senerio posted:

It's not the difficulty. It's the swim. It was 10 minutes of doing nothing while pressing R+B and left stick down.

Oh right. I just put a rubber band on the stick and went to make dinner

I have since learned there's is a shallows path running more or less the whole way there.

Bland fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 7, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I found an NPC named Monica on the lower level of the administrative district who told me the locations of a couple of rare collectibles. She also said to ask her again later for more info, so I'm hoping this is a thing and she'll keep giving out info like this for different items as I get further into the game!

Here's the stuff she told me about: California Sunset can be found west of Biahno Lake near a cave, spherical EM motors are in the Weeping Whitewood area in Noctilum

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Bland posted:

Oh right. I just put a rubber band on the stick and went to make dinner

Hold R and press B to automove in a single direction, by the way.

I made that post during the swim.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Got a skell finally and I like that they don't invalidate the on foot fighting. My main character feels like it can put out almost as much damage on foot as in a mech but when fighting giant enemies the skell can take hits and its disable skill fells really good to use. Also the increased mobility feels incredible. The extra jump height completely changes how I get around. The best thing though is constantly transforming and doing donuts all across the untamed alien wilderness.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Bussamove posted:

Man the aerial cam is the best god drat thing that I was never loving told about. Was running around last night hunting down Gung-ho Guns Tyrants Gung-ho Guns and decided to mess with the controls a bit to get an idea of what they could do and finding that just blew my goddamn mind. Makes it so much easier to find stuff it's not even funny.

What is this "aerial cam" and how do you use it?

So, in my continued time with this game I just find myself having more and more questions:

1) At the end of chapter 3 you get some notices that there are two additional party members you can recruit beyond Mia and Mel, but they're not in the barracks to add to my party. How do I find them?

2) Is it a good idea to accept all the missions on the mission board even if you don't plan to do them immediately, or do non-accepted missions cycle out for new ones over time?

3) Is there a consistent way to cause a particular type of weather pattern to appear?

4) If I was a fan of playing Dunban in the previous game, what with all of his skill combos and such, what class/classes should I invest into?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
edit: doublepost

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Saigyouji posted:

It's actually pretty easy to make Psycorruptors/Masterminds into really good damage dealers, since at Psycorruptor 10 you get the Core Crusher skill, which nullifies appendage damage from ether attacks in exchange for giving a 150% damage boost at max level. Combined with the fact that Masterminds get Black Butterfly, an ether attack that reduces ether defense, it can get kinda silly.

Is the damage boost just for ether attacks or for anything?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Brackhar posted:

So, in my continued time with this game I just find myself having more and more questions:

1) At the end of chapter 3 you get some notices that there are two additional party members you can recruit beyond Mia and Mel, but they're not in the barracks to add to my party. How do I find them?

2) Is it a good idea to accept all the missions on the mission board even if you don't plan to do them immediately, or do non-accepted missions cycle out for new ones over time?

3) Is there a consistent way to cause a particular type of weather pattern to appear?

4) If I was a fan of playing Dunban in the previous game, what with all of his skill combos and such, what class/classes should I invest into?

Aerial cam is used by holding R and pressing up on the d-pad. It gives you a birds eye view of the area.

For party members, Gwin is on Division Drive, Irina is just south of the barracks.

Sam Faust posted:

Is the damage boost just for ether attacks or for anything?

Just Ether attacks, AFAIK, but most of Mastermind's attacks are ether in the first place, and all the ones that aren't are weapon damage. (Except Gravity Blast).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Brackhar posted:

In Order

1) The other party members show up on your map. All the main story dudes who have affinity quests lines and factor into the story (There are 8 who all unlock by the end of Chapter 5) will be hanging around the Administration District, people you get from sidequests tend to be in the other areas but it will show up on the map.

2) You can only accept 20 missions at a time from the board so just pick the ones that you wanna do.

3) No, its random. If you keep fast travelling it'll reroll

4) Dunban's playstyle is spread out a bit. Galactic Knights get a lot of melee combo attacks and Auras, while Gun Samurai have some of his tanking stuff. Nothing is going to be 1:1 because of the dual melee/ranged weapons and artes though, but what are you looking for? Shitkicker, Tank, Debuff inflictor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

As long as it isn't a plot or affinity mission you might as well accept it. Worst comes to worst you can drop it, but otherwise it gives you something to do while doing other stuff.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The map has the hexagons for all the party members in the NLA maps. The first ones are all in the Administrative district, if I recall right.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

okay in order to start hope's affinity quest i need to accept the marry me! basic mission but it's not showing up on the mission board. anyone know what i'm missing?

never got a response to this. plz help. also if anyone knows when/where mia's second and third quests unlock, that'd be nice too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Something confusing me on the map screen: What do the mission and affinity mission indicators mean on the field? Does it mean that I go there to complete a mission or that someone will give me a mission there? I don't know how I should go about filling out those hexagons.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Augus posted:

Something confusing me on the map screen: What do the mission and affinity mission indicators mean on the field? Does it mean that I go there to complete a mission or that someone will give me a mission there? I don't know how I should go about filling out those hexagons.

It means you'll get a mission that sends you to that area, so it's not really worth worrying about them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also, something the game doesn't really mention but is important as you go on.

Once you hit level 10 in a tier 3 class you can equip that class' weapons no matter what class you're in. Since classes don't have intrinsic benefits, once you've mastered a class just transfer to a different one and re-equip your old weapons to continue getting new skills and unlocking stuff for weapons.

This also lets you create hybrid classes (You can pick any 2 weapons skillsets to use together) and once you've gotten everything you want you should stay permanently in Drifter which has 5 Skill slots to the tier 3 classes 4.

Now, a lot of weapon artes are designed to be used with the weapon they're paired with in the tree so you might find yourself missing a buff that knives or whatever have if you want to rock a longsword instead as a psycorrupter. But you can build some pretty cool and unique artesets, especially when you add in the affinity skill rewards from doing Affinity Quests which usually have more generalized attack artes and buffs.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 7, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zore posted:

Also, something the game doesn't really mention but is important as you go on.

Once you hit level 10 in a tier 3 class you can equip that class' weapons no matter what class you're in. Since classes don't have intrinsic benefits, once you've mastered a class just transfer to a different one and re-equip your old weapons to continue getting new skills and unlocking stuff for weapons.

the class menu says they boost certain stats, like enforcer increases ranged attack and potential.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inflammatory posted:

never got a response to this. plz help. also if anyone knows when/where mia's second and third quests unlock, that'd be nice too.

You Complete the Marry Me! mission while doing the affinity quest, you just need to accept the quest. You also need to be level 21 and have finished chapter 3.

BTW you are most likely to die if you don't have a skell it will send you to Cauldros.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

You Complete the Marry Me! mission while doing the affinity quest, you just need to accept the quest. You also need to be level 21 and have finished chapter 3.

BTW you are most likely to die if you don't have a skell it will send you to Cauldros.

do i just need to wait for marry me! to cycle onto the board then?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

The icon for the quest is at the chapel in the Residential District.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inflammatory posted:

You need to go to cauldros to finish the affinity. Hope will be near the residential district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Inflammatory posted:

Yeah, basically. Do some quests and it'll show up eventually.

• Locked thread