Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Tempest is hiding up in that far north system, gated behind tri tach faction "welcoming" along with the medusa at friendly (and all the lances you can want as normal stock!!!) shame you're hated by hegemony as soon as you take the commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I swear by god this game is dead set on me not having a single goddamn bit of fun.

I got my Lasher, cool, got into a fight.

Go to deploy, bug happens, I'm not in command of my vessel for whatever reason, end up getting command of my vessel a split second before torpedos slam into my ship instantly killing me.

loving hell I am about to drop this game like it's loving hot now.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I swear by god this game is dead set on me not having a single goddamn bit of fun.

I got my Lasher, cool, got into a fight.

Go to deploy, bug happens, I'm not in command of my vessel for whatever reason, end up getting command of my vessel a split second before torpedos slam into my ship instantly killing me.

loving hell I am about to drop this game like it's loving hot now.

I'm not sure, but did you remember to assign yourself as captain of the Lasher? I can't recall how earlier versions did it, but you need to click the little character portrait to do so, otherwise you start offscreen and need to pootle over to your ship in a shuttle and have it remain stationary long enough to dock.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, unless you're playing on iron mode all dying does is respawn you somewhere with a random starting ship (which can be a Lasher).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

Also, unless you're playing on iron mode all dying does is respawn you somewhere with a random starting ship (which can be a Lasher).

.... It does?

I definitely thought it spawned you in a lovely shuttle that made it pointless to even bother playing anymore.

Guess I'll have to take dying better next time and not break something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you don't like the boat it starts you in just die and get a new one (feel free to spend the couple grand it starts you with and stash the loot in an abandoned station for later recovery if you want to be cheesy).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

If you don't like the boat it starts you in just die and get a new one (feel free to spend the couple grand it starts you with and stash the loot in an abandoned station for later recovery if you want to be cheesy).

Oh neat. I totally did not know that.

Either ways around, found a new ship that I like for beating up small pirate groups. The Invictus Gunship that the Interstellar Imperium gets is hilarious for this, it gets a massive shield, 2 small energy turrets, 4 ballistic turrets, and a single universal hardpoint. So just point it at an enemy, have the shield on for the approach, and pull it down so you can fire everything. Only problem is that the engines are completely uncovered.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The Invictus has some serious beef and firepower, only drawback (but a significant one) is that it's slower than some Destroyers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Okay now this is getting really frustrating. I've been beating my head against this for a good chunk of time, and I can't even figure out how to get past the basic starter ship.

Every single time I try doing trade, I get screwed by prices. Every single time I try doing pirate hunting, no pirates are to be found and I waste my time and money on supplies trying to keep looking for more pirates to fight.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Trade is not profitable under normal circumstances, this is by design, to stop you doing the same route over and over for cash. To trade, what you want to do is look out for market fluctuations. Temporary circumstances (or sometimes, just general conditions) can result in nearly 1000% variances in the prices of goods.

When the market disruptions make things cheap, buy them. When the market disruptions make things stupidly expensive, sell them.

A good way to start off with this is supplies and fuel, because you need supplies and fuel goes in your tanks, not your cargo bay, so you can sit on it for ages. Buy some up when they drop really low (40 is a good price for supplies, less is better if you can get it, 10 or so for fuel) and carry them around until somewhere gets a trade disruption, which can often send supplies up to 100-200 a pop, and fuel up to 100-150.

To avoid tariffs you can buy and sell on the black market but you may get investigated for smuggling.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
WIth the latest patch, your first 40 days are actually really easy because there is always a bounty.

Start the game, buy as much standard crew as your ship can hold (it used to cost you more supplies per day, but it doesn't any longer for some reason). If you started 'with a big score', buy storage and transfer all but 1 fuel and 2 supplies. Undock, hit F5, then go north-west and start wandering around. Mash F5 before every combat. Keep your beacon on and they'll come to you! Just wander around near the pirate outpost or join in battles near the station and go back and repair and transfer all spares of everything back to storage. Periodically check the sell price of heavy machinery and metals and and when it gets high enough (~50-60cr metals, ~450-500 machinery) take your stuff out of storage and sell it on the open market. Keep the supplies and fuel, and you only need half your skeleton crew number to be elite status for your ship to be considered elite - put the rest in storage and keep training up crew in fights right around that area.

By time the station is on the other side of the sun and the travel distance is long, you should be long past 5 ranks in combat and ready for hyperspace - so do the same thing, only take around 10 fuel and a couple of supplies. When you can, buy a buffalo for extra hauling because it only requires 10 crew, can keep up with 9 burn and isn't expensive to maintain. Never ever send it into battle. Maybe pick up a wingman. It costs 3 fuel to get out into hyper but there are lots of pirates around, from there just look at the bounty board.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh boy, found a better starter ship, though I need to actually win a single fight with a guy in order to afford it.

Imperial Wolf. It's like the regular wolf, except a medium ballistic mount instead of a medium energy, and an extra small energy slot too I think?

Otherwise exactly the same, although it might have beefier flux.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Oh boy, found a better starter ship, though I need to actually win a single fight with a guy in order to afford it.

Imperial Wolf. It's like the regular wolf, except a medium ballistic mount instead of a medium energy, and an extra small energy slot too I think?

Otherwise exactly the same, although it might have beefier flux.

The Wolf (I)'s hybrid medium slot is pretty nice, but if the normal Wolf gave you trouble, it might be worth it to look elsewhere. It's more of the same with a slight bump in stats (that third energy slot is on the normal Wolf).

Speaking of the Imperium, I have a rock hard spaceboner for a Praetorian with a flak and a Heavy AC (or any other rapid-fire kinetic weapon), in the front, Vulcan in the back, and Sledges filling out the rest of the small hybrid slots. Change missiles to taste--I run Annihilators for pressure, but I might switch to auto-fire Micros from Diable. The Praetorian is ponderous enough that it really benefits from the range and pressure afforded by the Sledges (which are really drat good at taking out fighters, oddly enough), since ships will keep taking hits as they back off. Just let the AC get them close to overload, then hit the Ammo Feeder. Fun stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having installed II for the first time recently I am quite anxious for it to update for 7.1a, the sledge weapons are insanely good.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Wanna kill a Medusa using only soft flux? Get this Sunder:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The Wolf (I)'s hybrid medium slot is pretty nice, but if the normal Wolf gave you trouble, it might be worth it to look elsewhere. It's more of the same with a slight bump in stats (that third energy slot is on the normal Wolf).

Speaking of the Imperium, I have a rock hard spaceboner for a Praetorian with a flak and a Heavy AC (or any other rapid-fire kinetic weapon), in the front, Vulcan in the back, and Sledges filling out the rest of the small hybrid slots. Change missiles to taste--I run Annihilators for pressure, but I might switch to auto-fire Micros from Diable. The Praetorian is ponderous enough that it really benefits from the range and pressure afforded by the Sledges (which are really drat good at taking out fighters, oddly enough), since ships will keep taking hits as they back off. Just let the AC get them close to overload, then hit the Ammo Feeder. Fun stuff.

It has enough of a bump to make it worth my while, it feels a lot less liable to die from harsh glances than the regular Wolf, and the heavy thumper is perfect to play keepaway with.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Wanna kill a Medusa using only soft flux? Get this Sunder:

Sunder pro-tip: Installing the extended shields mod on a Sunder gives you 360 degree shield coverage; which means you can ignore salamanders and helps deal with fighters.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

It has enough of a bump to make it worth my while, it feels a lot less liable to die from harsh glances than the regular Wolf, and the heavy thumper is perfect to play keepaway with.
Thumpers do basically no damage though, they're frag weapons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HPV driver would be better for keep away, or alternatively one of the sledge cannons if you've got the imperium installed, bit weak against shields but they have amazing range.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Jinx posted:

Sunder pro-tip: Installing the extended shields mod on a Sunder gives you 360 degree shield coverage; which means you can ignore salamanders and helps deal with fighters.

This loadout is built around toggling shields and venting, so it doesn't benefit from it that much.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Starting out you can get good results generally if you hang out around the pirate planets/station early on, there's the bounty and generally there's a lot of weaker fleets and smuggler fleets that look large but only have 2-3 frigates. Once you get some money and supplies it's also a good area to practice turning off/on your transponder and going dark in the asteroid belt

Random thoughts:
I really like what they've done with the Cult of Ludd, those Cerberus's are scary as poo poo now and I've had numerous frigates torn to bits

I had what I think was my favorite fight so far, which was helping a heavily outnumbered Lion's Guard patrol of phase and high-tech frigates against a large pirate armada. All the Lion's were in the high teens level-wise and we just mopped the floor with them, I don't want to gush but it felt like giving Rogue Squadron a hand or something. And then I turned off my transponder and they yelled at me but still

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
Well, black markets are certainly improved now. Second week of the game, I saw a Medusa for sale at the Asharu black market. Good thing I had all those Jangala bounty credits!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I haven't been playing much because I'm waiting for the mods to catch up. Does that mean Tri-Tach isn't hoarding all the cool ships now?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I got the Scy Mod.

Where do you find them at? Because I'm at Tartarus and poking around and not finding anything. I understand from the lore that this is what is supposed to happen, but still.\

Edit: NVM, I'm dumb.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
As another newbie who managed to fight past the initial irritating hump, just keep at it. Sometimes bounty hunting can be a bit dry due to lack of pirates, other times I've found myself fighting more pirates than I can shake a stick at. The general advice is good, follow trade-routes and hang around jump points as well as hyperspace. Another good tip is to mouse over patrols and the like, they'll tell you if they're just patrolling or if they're looking for a pirate ship. If it's the latter, then join them and look for them too, there's a good chance that more often than not that you'll find the pirates they're looking for and with good positioning you'll have the patrol as allies if it's too big for you. (The pirates will run from the patrol but will gladly chase you.)

Like I mentioned before, I now have three wolf frigates, two of which are piloted by steady officers and now we're kicking some real rear end. Going to try named bounties now for bigger payouts.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's a single-player game and the save-files are plain xml. If you are really having a rough start you can cheat yourself some cash or aptitude points. I wouldn't recommend it your first time out but I'll spot myself some cash every time a new update/mod drops that wrecks my saves. The beginning can be a pain in the rear end.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Is there any way to fish reputation up from -100 vengeful? Pro bono bounties don't seem to nudge it up anymore. Otherwise it's time to sit on Hybrasil and murder everything blue colored hoping to get the chance to board some of the big stuff I want to try.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Irae posted:

Is there any way to fish reputation up from -100 vengeful? Pro bono bounties don't seem to nudge it up anymore. Otherwise it's time to sit on Hybrasil and murder everything blue colored hoping to get the chance to board some of the big stuff I want to try.
I think once you get yourself past -75 you're hosed for life with that faction.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

On the one hand, I think the hard beginning really helps sell the whole sector in decline thing, and adds the accomplishment when you "make it" finally. On the other hand verisimilitude don't mean jack if half the players get frustrated and quit and there's other ways to get the grim darkness across

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It took me 6 tries to be able to knock down a Lasher + Cerberus + Wolf (all D) pirate fleet with the starting Wolf+heavy blaster and shuttle. The Cerberus is so easy to shoot down but the other two are tricky (fortunately they don't work together particularly well).

Now with two Wolfs, I'm ready to head out to hyperspace and pick up some supplies to sell to the completely tapped out Jangala and *gets ganked by a pirate fleet with a Medusa immediately after warping out of Corvus*.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RentACop posted:

On the one hand, I think the hard beginning really helps sell the whole sector in decline thing, and adds the accomplishment when you "make it" finally. On the other hand verisimilitude don't mean jack if half the players get frustrated and quit and there's other ways to get the grim darkness across

Granted I've been playing SS for a long time, but I haven't really found .7 to actually be harder in the beginning. I think it's just a matter of players getting used to the new mechanics and the game has never been especially easy to get into for players entirely new to SS. Easy mode also gives some crazy nice benefits.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

Granted I've been playing SS for a long time, but I haven't really found .7 to actually be harder in the beginning. I think it's just a matter of players getting used to the new mechanics and the game has never been especially easy to get into for players entirely new to SS. Easy mode also gives some crazy nice benefits.

Pirate fleets tend to have much meaner compositions at the start instead of an endless supply of unshielded shitboats.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dis astranagant posted:

Pirate fleets tend to have much meaner compositions at the start instead of an endless supply of unshielded shitboats.

Yeah, the tread title's no longer too accurate, sadly.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Part of it’s just luck. I’ve never seen a pirate fleet with a medusa for instance but I regularly get things that are easy to clean up like two kites and a lasher. Or a wolf D at 25% hull and some fighters.

The early game is touch and go though. I started a new playthrough for 0.7.1a and was progressing from picking off small, 2-4 ship, pirate groups to taking on the 20k bounties and larger fleets after getting a second frigate. Luckily it was another wolf, loving the black market changes, in the first playthrough on 0.7a I’d made do with a wolf-D as my second ship, on my second a lasher.

I can’t find a good NPC for the second wolf but I fit it out with a pulse laser and go hunting. I find pirates with five frigates and two fighter wings, I’m thinking it should be easy pickings. Sure enough I manage to split the kites off from the lashers and take them down while the other wolf keeps the lashers and fighters busy. On the way over I take down a fighter wing and put a few shots into the remaining lasher. After my AI wolf has a had a few moments of reprieve I phase skim away from the fight to vent only to explode from full hull. I had forgotten about the wing of torpedo bombers and teleported right to them and vented. Two reapers straight to the face. Back down to one wolf.

I ended up building up a little cash but not having the rep for anything great. I worked up to a small fleet of four frigates while building some TriTach rep with the new commission system. Then I took on a superior force and didn’t position well enough, got surrounded and respawned in Magec. With 50k in the bank and nine levels worth of skills it’s not hard to rebuild though. Friendly with the Tachs I bought a single Medusa and destroyed went around destroying any group of a dozen or less pirates, and running from anyone else.

The medusa is ridiculous. The AI needs some frigate support to make it work but when it’s got it they run roughshod over most fleets. In the 0.7 patch I ended up with a fleet of four of them, all fitted with two alternating heavy blasters, PD lasers, and a crazy amount of vents and piloted by officers with gunnery implants 5. They were supported by two plasma cannon sunders and a handful of Frigates. There was nothing that could take that fleet. I bought a paragon with a plan to fly it around solo until it died. I went to Jangala and fought everyone there. Barely a scratch.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 7, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Pirate fleets haven't overly used Hounds and Buffalo IIs in a long, long time. If I remember, the golden age of the Buffalo was also before the introduction of (D) ships, which pirates use almost exclusively now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Supplies are selling for ~450 per in Jangala. I go on a run to Aztlan, stock up, and sell enough to buy a Mule and go for a bigger second run.

By the time I come back to Corvus with 250 supplies to sell, the price has dropped to 25, but there's still exactly zero stock on the open market.

~free market economics~

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They were hunted to near-extinction.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The Paragon is ridiculously OP, I mean it probably should be at like 450k credits before you even stick any guns on it, but still. The AI is monstrously good at flying it too since it can toggle the fortress shield so well.

I've been playing with an XIV Onslaught a lot recently though and with my level 50ish character I can solo any fleet I've come across, probably the best and my favorite capital overall. It can dish out some serious firepower and soak up even more and the burn drive gives it just enough mobility to be able to hunt down pesky enemies and escape from bad situations. I really want to get an XIV Eagle since its my favorite cruiser but these hegemony markets never stock them, I have XIV Onslaughts, 2 XIV Dominators, an XIV Falcon, and 3 XIV Enforcers but I have yet to see a single XIV Eagle.

My only major complaint with the game right now is that everyone only gets 1 military market except the Hegemony who get 5 for some reason; with new commission system its a pain in the rear end to actually get the ships you want if you ally with anyone but the Hegemony.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Bhodi posted:

They were hunted to near-extinction.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
These smuggling investigations are actually starting to piss me off. An investigation started after I unloaded some 40 units of drugs on the black market and I tried to go and bribe the investigator but one patrol decided to sit around the respective planet for over a month of ingame time, preventing me from turning my transponder off to bribe the investigator (I eventually just loaded back and went off to do my own poo poo). When I came back later the investigator wanted 192,000 credits and if I don't bribe the bitch I get hit with a 124 relationship penalty.

Like I could understand if I was regularly smuggling in shittons of drugs, harvested organs, weapons and whatever the gently caress else but the rare offloading of some drugs looted from pirates or buying some rare weapons shouldn't gently caress you over this bad, especially when you're at maximum relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Did you sell the drugs with your transponder on?