Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Apparently after the accident they kept recreating the conditions in a simulator and in every single simulation they couldn't even get within like 5 miles of an airport which means there was always zero survivors.

I also heard this about JAL123. Not trying to take anything away from the pilots, but I wonder how much being in the cockpit and feeling the movement of the plane helps in these kind of situations.

e: Quoting for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought every airline does free booze, though, if you're not flying on a budget line?
Wandering a bit off topic here, but for Canada, you get free booze on pretty much any airline if you fly over an ocean - Atlantic or Pacific (though I don't know about Vancouver - Hawaii); I don't know if the budget airlines that fly between Toronto and the Caribbean offer free booze. Domestic flights and flights to the USA don't have free booze, but you can usually buy a drink (for - of course - highly inflated prices) if you're 19 years old or older. Age of legal drinking is determined by each province, and roughly half are 18, but the other half are 19 so Air Canada says no drinks even if you fly from Edmonton to Calgary (in Alberta the age is 18).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ExecuDork posted:

Wandering a bit off topic here, but for Canada, you get free booze on pretty much any airline if you fly over an ocean - Atlantic or Pacific (though I don't know about Vancouver - Hawaii); I don't know if the budget airlines that fly between Toronto and the Caribbean offer free booze. Domestic flights and flights to the USA don't have free booze, but you can usually buy a drink (for - of course - highly inflated prices) if you're 19 years old or older. Age of legal drinking is determined by each province, and roughly half are 18, but the other half are 19 so Air Canada says no drinks even if you fly from Edmonton to Calgary (in Alberta the age is 18).

Porter Airlines has free booze on every flight, although it's a small selection.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

My favorite air (near) disaster story is still United 232. No hydraulics, flying the drat thing by purely adjusting the throttle, and they managed to get it down almost safely - 185 survivors out of 296 aboard. Hell of a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9TQs-fQR0
Fitch was diagnosed with brain cancer in January 2010,[8] and succumbed to it on May 7, 2012, at his home in St. Charles, Illinois.

:rip:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

DaNzA posted:

Fitch was diagnosed with brain cancer in January 2010,[8] and succumbed to it on May 7, 2012, at his home in St. Charles, Illinois.

"I was the most alive I've ever been. That is the only way I can describe it to you."

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
It's hard to tell what these guys' plan was:
http://i.imgur.com/b8CXN1Y.gifv

Bonus:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Say Nothing posted:

Kind of reminds me of this.

Of course it's in Russia.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2xlDKWKUOJM

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Staryberry posted:

Bonus:

They were probably trying to move it out slightly so that they could remove it using the forklift on the left side of the frame

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's pretty close to the response when that was posted in the Schadenfreud thread, but with that other, unrelated picture there it leads to a lovely bit of absurdity in my mental image.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just spent the past week working behind the scenes at NASA and I can safely say that I did not see anything there that would belong in this thread. I guess that's important when you're launching 750,000 lbs of explosives into space, but refreshing none the less.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I would have thought China - they have a history of this sort of thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
No wonder they haven't had the equivalent of 9/11, I can see it now - Your usual jihadi with some nong-grade six-seater flying to smack into some Beijing tower, only to have the thing fall just before impact.

Cue the plane flying in a holding pattern, trying to decide whether to smack into it anyway.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib

Thin Privilege posted:

Of course it's in Russia.

At this point you could merge this and the Russia thread and I'd doubt anyone would notice.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WarpedNaba posted:

Cue the plane flying in a holding pattern, trying to decide whether to smack into it anyway.

http://www.theonion.com/article/al-qaeda-claims-us-mass-transportation-infrastruct-21008

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Kenlon posted:

My favorite air (near) disaster story is still United 232. No hydraulics, flying the drat thing by purely adjusting the throttle, and they managed to get it down almost safely - 185 survivors out of 296 aboard. Hell of a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9TQs-fQR0

Not OSHA-related but this is from a show called First Person which is a series of interviews by Errol Morris. Some are dramatic like this, some are funny, some are bizarre, but they're all worth watching.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

And that's why we wrap full pallets with packing wrap, boys and girls. :eng101:

Slanderer posted:

They were probably trying to move it out slightly so that they could remove it using the forklift on the left side of the frame

Possibly, and still hilariously stupid of them if so: anyone with any skill with a forklift could do that with the lift itself. Stick the forks in halfway, lift up just enough to get friction, drag the pallet back, set it down, get the forks all the way in, good to go.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Staryberry posted:

Bonus:

There's a goddam forklift just to the left

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

gender illusionist posted:

How are they supposed to drive it in without a second one?!

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delivery McGee posted:

That happened in a grocery store I used to work at once. It was the aisle with the deodorant on it. A can of Axe broke on impact, took off like a rocket, and barely missed hitting a cashier in the head.

Check out the security footage: https://youtu.be/H17mWrB9RbY?t=50s

I worked in a liquor store with a domestic wines shelf as big as the one in the gif. Thousands of bottles of wine on shelves up to 6' high are really goddamn heavy, especially the thicker bottles of more expensive wine which are on the top shelves. If anyone was under those falling shelves in the video, they could have been crushed fairly badly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bottom Liner posted:

I just spent the past week working behind the scenes at NASA and I can safely say that I did not see anything there that would belong in this thread. I guess that's important when you're launching 750,000 lbs of explosives into space, but refreshing none the less.

Scientists are pretty good at knowing if someone is watching. We leap into unsafe action once everyone is gone, don't worry.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

gender illusionist posted:

I'm guessing he was trying to get the pallet mover (left by whoever loaded the truck from a dock) out from under it in order to use the forklift.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bottom Liner posted:

quote:

While the turn-over cart used during the procedure was in storage, a technician removed twenty-four bolts securing an adapter plate to it without documenting the action. The team subsequently using the cart to turn the satellite failed to check the bolts, as specified in the procedure, before attempting to move the satellite.[13] Repairs to the satellite cost $135 million.

Though it was at a contractor's facility, not a NASA one, so there's that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Jesus, I'd never be able to work comfortably around something that expensive.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

DaNzA posted:

That was a great video to watch. I'm happy that the guy was able to get back up there, after having been through that. I'd probably drink myself to death in an alleyway.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Jesus, I'd never be able to work comfortably around something that expensive.

Always blame anything no one else witnessed on the janitor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wonder what happened to that technician.

e:

quote:

Lockheed Martin agreed to forfeit all profit from the project to help pay for repair costs; they later took a $30 million charge relating to the incident. The remainder of the repair costs were paid by the United States government.

:911: can't let those poor government contractors take the hit :patriot:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, if they were smart they would fine some random employee $105 million dollars, that'll learn him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No, Lockheed should pay the entire amount, because they (someone under their employ) hosed it up. Clients don't pay for your mistakes.

If they want to try and somehow extract 9 figures from the technician who took out the bolts, that's up to their own legal idiot-team to sort out, but it shouldn't be dumped on the American public.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
A hundred million is pocket change compared to what the government wastes on boats and planes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Peanut President posted:

Yeah, if they were smart they would fine some random employee $105 million dollars, that'll learn him.

They probably overcharged by at least that much on the project anyway

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's roughly $10,000 per lb to send something to space. The payload we're launching to the ISS today is 7,700lbs, so around 77,000,000 (that's just for cargo, not counting the weight of the Cygnus vehicle itself). That sounds crazy expensive until you look at what we spend on single missles and fighter jets.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

No, Lockheed should pay the entire amount, because they (someone under their employ) hosed it up. Clients don't pay for your mistakes.

That would likely just result in Lockheed Martin no longer bidding on satellite contracts and nobody filling the gap

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

That would likely just result in Lockheed Martin no longer bidding on satellite contracts and nobody filling the gap

If only we’d considered scenarios like this when we allowed the military‐industrial complex to consolidate.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drone_Fragger posted:

Planes are absurdly safe to the point that if a plane crashes it's almost universally pilot or crew error over actual mechanical failure. And that's why never fly by any budget Asian airlines because their pilots are not particularly well trained and the planes are not particularly well maintained. Same with Russian airlines.

Hahaha! loving amazing AV post combo.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was news at the NASA John Glenn Research Center (NASA Cleveland) where a contractor fell three stories off a girder when working on a new building. Survived but barely.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sagebrush posted:

quote:

Lockheed Martin agreed to forfeit all profit from the project

How much do you think that was?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

How much do you think that was?

With creative accounting, I'm going to guess $0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

If only we’d considered scenarios like this when we allowed the military‐industrial complex to consolidate.

It's more a consequence of the government needing things that there's no commercial market for, and since big government satellites are tremendously expensive and complicated no contractor is going to bother making them if the government isn't taking some of the risk

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
no gore, enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZUF7VYXlg
hazards of weather reporting.

I have no attribution for this sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

terrenblade posted:

I have no attribution for this sadly.

Found this news story on it, unless that's a parody site or whatever.

Edit: Okay I watched the video on the news site, because I can use the internet, and the actual video has no bonk.

Crust First fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 7, 2015

• Locked thread