Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ElegantFugue posted:

So my new 5x arrived and I'm trying to figure out if I still need root. The only real concern I have left is adblocking, and it sounds like if I'm willing to only block things at the browser level then I don't even need that.
So, currently, these are my options, right?
1: Root and unlock bootloader, then manually flash new security updates every month.
2: Root but relock bootloader, then manually unlock+relock bootloader to flash new security updates every month, wiping the device each time.
3: Don't root.

Just use Chainfire's systemless root and BootUnlocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Oh huh, for some reason I was under the impression that that was still an unreleased prototype he was trying to make usable. So I just follow the megapost by Skarsnik but use the systemless Boot Image and Superuser APK instead?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Whizbang posted:

Just use Chainfire's systemless root and BootUnlocker.

BootLocker doesn't support the 5X.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ElegantFugue posted:

Oh huh, for some reason I was under the impression that that was still an unreleased prototype he was trying to make usable. So I just follow the megapost by Skarsnik but use the systemless Boot Image and Superuser APK instead?

Note that instead of "fastboot oem unlock" it's "fastboot flashing unlock" for the 5x but yes, you just use the systemless boot.img and SuperSU.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I was gonna get a Blackberry Priv when it comes to Verizon. So I looked up its root status. It seems as though getting root on any and all new phones is virtually impossible?

Does anyone know why this is? I don't care about an unlocked bootloader (custom ROM haven't been necessary since the HTC Thunderbolt) but I actually would pass on a phone I wanted if root wasn't available for it (I rely on Tasker, tethering, and Gravitybox way too much). Does anybody know the technical reason rooting became so difficult fairly recently?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Melmac posted:

I was gonna get a Blackberry Priv when it comes to Verizon. So I looked up its root status. It seems as though getting root on any and all new phones is virtually impossible?

Does anyone know why this is? I don't care about an unlocked bootloader (custom ROM haven't been necessary since the HTC Thunderbolt) but I actually would pass on a phone I wanted if root wasn't available for it (I rely on Tasker, tethering, and Gravitybox way too much). Does anybody know the technical reason rooting became so difficult fairly recently?

For the obvious reason: it completely subverts the entire security model.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
It's a phone that's supposedly marketed for privacy and security, a niche product that may or not get abandoned as soon as Blackberry gets bored of it, and it'll be on Verizon. The chances of someone bothering to find a root exploit for it are marginal at best.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

For the obvious reason: it completely subverts the entire security model.

I didn't mean why does Google not want people rooting their phones. I was wondering why it all of a sudden became an incredibly difficult endeavor. Back only a year or two ago, it was unheard of for a phone to have no way to root; no matter how unpopular that phone was.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Oh, fascism.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Melmac posted:

I didn't mean why does Google not want people rooting their phones. I was wondering why it all of a sudden became an incredibly difficult endeavor. Back only a year or two ago, it was unheard of for a phone to have no way to root; no matter how unpopular that phone was.

Because android security is getting better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Melmac posted:

I don't think this is true, in any case. Pretty sure multiple generations of Moto phones on Verizon have been unrootable, and I vaguely remember when Samsung started including Knox (S5?) there was a decently long period where people were unhappy with that (not sure if it was just bootloader couldn't be unlocked, or if it was root too). Also Sony phones have had a thing where if you unlock the bootloader, the camera quality takes a nosedive that is unrecoverable.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Right. The bootloader thing I knew about. I don't care about custom ROMs. It just seems like rooting was always really easy to accomplish and now there's phones not getting root access ever (again; I'm not referring to the bootloader thing as that's been difficult for years, not to mention very useless in comparison to rooting).

I'm not mad at Google. I'm just surprised they suddenly became smarter than hackers or whatever.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
No, they just decided to take security seriously, which you kind of have to when you do things like Android Pay. If you have someone's credit cards available, and their phone gets swiped, you don't want to be on the hook for teens of thousands of dollars of charges. Requiring a pin lock and encrypting the phones by default is a good start too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Melmac posted:

Right. The bootloader thing I knew about. I don't care about custom ROMs. It just seems like rooting was always really easy to accomplish and now there's phones not getting root access ever (again; I'm not referring to the bootloader thing as that's been difficult for years, not to mention very useless in comparison to rooting).

I'm not mad at Google. I'm just surprised they suddenly became smarter than hackers or whatever.

Like RZA Encryption said, Android security is getting better. There are fewer holes and they're more quickly patched, especially now that Google is working with OEMs to get updates out faster.

There is also less need for users to want root and therefore fewer talented people looking for the exploits (who are willing to disclose them publicly) than there was in years past. Now if anyone wants and values root they're going to buy a device like a Nexus and not gently caress around with hacky solutions that may not work in a year.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Yeah I hear ya. I don't root for any :spergin: reasons; I just need PDANet to work (which will never work for me without root) and mirroring my phone using AirDroid. Also, Call Recorder is amazing and has been a lifesaver many times and that doesn't work without root.

I could live without GravityBox and Youtube background playback and adblockers, but the other stuff I mentioned I absolutely need. I'm probably just going to be buying Droid Mini's for the rest of my life (I should stock up now).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Easier to switch to a plan that allows tethering than mucking about with root just for that

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dissss posted:

Easier to switch to a plan that allows tethering than mucking about with root just for that

Unless you're on a legacy unlimited plan.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Unless you're on a legacy unlimited plan.

Bingo. I'll bequeath it to my children when I'm dead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's still a lot easier to switch plans. No doubt they'll cut you off eventually anyway.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

It's still a lot easier to switch plans. No doubt they'll cut you off eventually anyway.

Nope. Just did one weird trick that kept me on unlimited for the same $30 a month for the next 2 years. :cool: Cell phone companies hate me

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I pretty much only do it for GravityBox, and that's getting to be kind of a pain in the butt. I'm really hoping some of the customization options get built into stock eventually so I can stop rooting altogether. I've already gone ahead and bought/otherwise replaced everything that would have necessitated ad blocking, so this is the one final thing that's keeping me rooted.

I guess I use Tasker too, but I'm pretty sure the only Tasker routine I have that requires root only works inconsistently.

Rooting was a lot more fun back when I was on Verizon and had no other way to keep my OS reasonably current.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So I rooted the cheapo Double Power tablet and got some stuff installed, but I had to do a weird workaround to root, so XPosed is a no go, unfortunately.

Still, free is free.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just rooted my nexus 5 running 6.0 using chainfires new auto kernel patching systemless root that is supposed to work with OTA updates.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=64161125&postcount=3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Just rooted my nexus 5 running 6.0 using chainfires new auto kernel patching systemless root that is supposed to work with OTA updates.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=64161125&postcount=3

Same. It's a pretty good way of going about things but it does sort of beg the question as to what it is you want to do with root if you also don't want to touch /system. Besides Titanium, what exactly is left?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

Same. It's a pretty good way of going about things but it does sort of beg the question as to what it is you want to do with root if you also don't want to touch /system. Besides Titanium, what exactly is left?

Will using adaway prevent OTA updates from working, does it check to see if the host file is modified or replaced with a symbolic link? Would the update work if disabling adaway before applying OTA?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

r0ck0 posted:

Will using adaway prevent OTA updates from working, does it check to see if the host file is modified or replaced with a symbolic link? Would the update work if disabling adaway before applying OTA?

Nope. It validates against the solid partition. It has for a year and change. Once /system has been writable, OTA is over.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Well in that case I went ahead and manually flashed 6.0.1 with all those neat emojis and applied root again. So far so good.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Presumably with systemless root you can flash the new system image and not have to re-root? I mean, it's pretty minor, but if it doesn't carry any disadvantages over classic root then why not?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Presumably with systemless root you can flash the new system image and not have to re-root? I mean, it's pretty minor, but if it doesn't carry any disadvantages over classic root then why not?

Correct, but my question is what can you do with root that doesn't negate that advantage? Everything you'd want to do modifies the system.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So it's been about a month since I rooted my 5x and I imagine there's been a security update plus 6.0.1 made available. Is there a solid write-up on what I need to do to get these updates on my phone since OTA is going to be straight busted?

Appreciate the hand-holding in advance.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 G-900V: Can this thing even be rooted? I see a lot of debate online but no clear answers, and the "guides" are not very helpful. If I understood those steps already, I wouldn't need a guide. CM is not a good idea due to Samsung hardware drivers, right? I do want the thing to work. I've searched the thread but not found anything up to date regarding Galaxy S.

This phone is no longer on the Verizon network, I've put a Straight Talk sim in it. My SO's phone on the same network gets 4G where I'm stuck pulling H+ if I'm lucky. Either the Verizon leftovers are throttling it or I just haven't set the right APN settings, I don't know. Besides, I want to get rid of the bloatware, it's some 2-4gb and since Lollipop will NOT run anything from the SD card, I'm stuck.

The main reason I don't switch to the Nexus is no external battery or storage. If it had those, it'd be perfect.

Ideally I'd put vanilla Marshmallow on it, but if that's not realistic, is there some way to get the Verizon stuff off this phone or install vanilla Lollipop?

e: there are also things I want to do in Tasker that I can't in Lollipop w/o root.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

TraderStav posted:

So it's been about a month since I rooted my 5x and I imagine there's been a security update plus 6.0.1 made available. Is there a solid write-up on what I need to do to get these updates on my phone since OTA is going to be straight busted?

Appreciate the hand-holding in advance.

Flash the system image over, reroot.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DemonMage posted:

Flash the system image over, reroot.

Will this cause my data to be wiped? I failed to mention that I really want to avoid that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Download the factory image, extract the nested zip file. Run the following commands, apply root again. You won't wipe your data if you don't flash userdata.img. This worked with the new systemless root, not sure about the older root methods.

code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader-filename>.img
fastboot flash radio <radio-fileame>.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb sideload SuperSU.zip 

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

Download the factory image, extract the nested zip file. Run the following commands, apply root again. You won't wipe your data if you don't flash userdata.img. This worked with the new systemless root, not sure about the older root methods.

code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader-filename>.img
fastboot flash radio <radio-fileame>.img
fastboot boot twrp.img
adb sideload SuperSU.zip 

The 6P's files include a vendor.img....is that one to be ignored?

XDA says this:

code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img 
And you would include the root stuff if you want at the end. The difference I see is XDA has erase cache (not data, just cache) and the vendor.img added...along with a reboot-bootloader in there for extra spergy goodness I guess. Gonna try it now. Hope I don't lose everything.

Edit: I just did this method (not rooted, just sideload) and it worked fine. Didn't wipe any data.

You need to make sure you go into the other folder (after extracting) and find the radio and bootloader images. Rename them to radio.img and bootloader.img (easier to type the command than the actual file name), move them to the same folder where the other extracted files are (recovery, system, etc). Once they are all in one place, follow the code I pasted above in the order they are typed. Again, after the last command (flash vendor) add in the other root stuff if that's your thing.

Here's what my platform-tools folder looks like. Be sure to hold shift+right click in the folder where you have adb setup and make sure the files from the extracted system image (and root stuff) is in the same folder.

\/ \/ That should work too. I guess I'm just scarred from the year or so when flash-all.bat was perpetually broken. I just flash it manually now. Seems more reliable to me and it always works, YMMV.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 8, 2015

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Whenever I flash over, i just go into the bat/sh and remove the -w for wipe. Then whoop.
Or you can open the bat file and just follow along if you want to see what is being done, and again "-w" means wipe.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Flash all has been very hit and miss for me, and even fastboot -w update "name of image zip file" would fail for me for no reason

I've always extracted the zip and flashed the individual images, just because I know it will always work. Extracting a zip and a few extra commands isnt much effort.

It also means you can skip flashing the recovery stage, so you dont have to reinstall twrp

I've just used superSU 2.61 with 6.01 on my 5x, the auto patching is very slick.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There is no reason to flash the cache or the recovery. The cache is rebuilt automatically and you'll need a custom recovery to root.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

XDA says this:
code:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash cache cache.img
Didn't wipe cache three times, this method is not an XDA Approved Flashing Technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SUPPORT WILL NOT BE GIVEN UNLESS YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY!!!