Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I saw a car commercial on TV and it had Star Wars promo poo poo. In the ad, BB8 is riding shotgun in what looks like Poe's X-Wing. Is this a thing or just something cute for the ad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BB8 is Poes droid

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

BB8 is Poes droid

Oh. I assumed it was Rey's but I also had no idea he was an astromech droid. It doesn't really matter but I was just surprised by that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Nessus posted:

Do Nabooicans grow fourteen inches and become blondes instead of growing wrinkly and gray?

She got the full cyborg treatment like Vader did and got sexied up a bit more. Just to be kinky, someone decided that she needs a silver suit that looks like one of her shiny ships.

edit: In that case, they were expecting her and Vader to eventually meet up.

"Ani. Oh my G... Goodness. You've... Grown?"
"So have you..." (heaving breathing) "grown more beautiful..." (more heavy breathing) "for a cyborg, I mean."

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh. I assumed it was Rey's but I also had no idea he was an astromech droid. It doesn't really matter but I was just surprised by that.
According to the leaked plot:
Natives on Jakku find Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. Kylo Ren also wants this but Poe gets there first. Before Mr. "I talk to my grandfather's burnt mask" intercepts Poe (and massacres the native village, the event that turns Finn from the First Order), Poe puts the lightsaber into BB8 and sends him off into the desert where Rey finds him.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
This debate was raging in the other thread yesterday but wasn't really ideal to discuss at length due to spoilers: if the accepted plot synopsis is accurate this movie is so clearly a remake.

edit: It's a remake that's a reboot.

Danger fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 7, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Danger posted:

This debate was raging in the other thread yesterday but wasn't really ideal to discuss at length due to spoilers: if the accepted plot synopsis is accurate this movie is so clearly a reboot.

Poetry, rhymes, etcetera

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Danger posted:

This debate was raging in the other thread yesterday but wasn't really ideal to discuss at length due to spoilers: if the accepted plot synopsis is accurate this movie is so clearly a remake.

Did you not see ST09 and STID?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Danger posted:

Even with knowledge of the the spoilers I still don't see how anyone thinks this is a remake or a reboot. It's a sequel. A sequel with extremely similar themes and plot structure where the new young characters are almost surrogates for the old ones but still very clearly a sequel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robutt posted:

Even with knowledge of the the spoilers I still don't see how anyone thinks this is a remake or a reboot. It's a sequel. A sequel with extremely similar themes and plot structure where the new young characters are almost surrogates for the old ones but still very clearly a sequel.

It's scemantics on the definition of the word. But it is a reboot of the franchise, in that we're literally "starting again."

Google gives me: "reboot (verb): restart or revive (a process or sequence, especially a series of films or television programs); give fresh impetus to." This movie is 100% that to the Star Wars movie franchise, regardless of plot.

It can be a sequel and a reboot.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

As was Star Trek 09, with the destruction of Romulus, Spock Prime and his jellyfish ship, etc. That post-Nemesis event is basically responsible for the creation of the Reboot universe (and now I'm eerily reminded of comic storylines); it's not too much of a logical leap to regard it as a sequel.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
has anyone commented about the score? It would be a shame if they can't match Duel of the Fates

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Besides what we hear in this TV spot, they've been keeping the score under lock and key; it's rather impressive given that we're seeing all manner of things leaking at this point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh that's a juicy bit of info for the start of the movie.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cross-Section posted:

Besides what we hear in this TV spot, they've been keeping the score under lock and key; it's rather impressive given that we're seeing all manner of things leaking at this point.

So nothing from the original score yet.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 9, 2015

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Cross-Section posted:

deleted image. what is it

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Rey figurine with luke's blue lightsaber. Looks like she gets a new getup along the way.

I had predicted this the second they showed Finn with the lightsaber.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

gohmak posted:

So nothing from the original score yet.

Basically, and it is killing me.

I NEED THE WILLIAMS

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cheesus posted:

According to the leaked plot:
Natives on Jakku find Luke/Anakin's lightsaber. Kylo Ren also wants this but Poe gets there first. Before Mr. "I talk to my grandfather's burnt mask" intercepts Poe (and massacres the native village, the event that turns Finn from the First Order), Poe puts the lightsaber into BB8 and sends him off into the desert where Rey finds him.

I'm really curious now, assuming we're talking about the same lightsabre, is how exactly it got from Bespin to Jakku given how Luke lost it after he got his hand cut off in that giant air chamber.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

storybook for children and grown-rear end star wars fans:

rey lives in a crashed buried at-at

finn tries not to shoot civvies as a star trooper on jakku

max von sydow, in beard and robes, does his best alec guinness impression and tells oscar isaac that hes got the special plans of the new bigger death star

BB-8 has a ~special thing~ concealed up in his hot little robot body

rey and finn find the millenium falcon, take it for a joyride in space, and a crazy old man called hum bolo or something turns up and tells them not to be messing around with his property

phasma is secretly a droid

thats about it i think

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 9, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It is going to be so loving weird for some Star Wars movies to not have a John Williams soundtrack. Since Marvel is going to release them on a yearly basis he surely won't do them all.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm really curious now, assuming we're talking about the same lightsabre, is how exactly it got from Bespin to Jakku given how Luke lost it after he got his hand cut off in that giant air chamber.

Space magic.

You might call it The Force.

But yeah, it's the goofiest way to start a new Star Wars. The weird part is it seems like the first scene and the second scene take place literally decades apart, with this only becoming apparent when we get to a big flashback montage like 70% of the way into the film.

Which, now that I think about it, is pretty much how JJ opened Star Trek, minus having to put a flashback late in the film to justify the opening scene.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It is going to be so loving weird for some Star Wars movies to not have a John Williams soundtrack. Since Marvel is going to release them on a yearly basis he surely won't do them all.

Alexandre Desplat's confirmed to be doing the score for Rogue One after teaming with the director on Godzilla.

That being said, I can't wait for Mark Mothersbaugh's Han Solo score.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Robot Style posted:

Alexandre Desplat's confirmed to be doing the score for Rogue One after teaming with the director on Godzilla.

That being said, I can't wait for Mark Mothersbaugh's Han Solo score.

Desplat would've been my bet for VIII.

So I guess Michael Giacchino?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Gonna be weird hearing a different composer on a Star Wars film (though we've kind of already gotten it with Joel McNeely and his surprisingly-listenable Shadows of the Empire score).

Here's hoping that Desplat adopts at least the motif-based component of Williams's scores, because both Godzilla and the HP Deathly Hallows scores were pretty bleh from what I can remember.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The plan, barring any physical health issues, is for Williams to do the main trilogy of films. the rest will be in the hands of other composers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Those are awesome pictures!

We've seen BB8 for what, about a year now?

He still doesn't work for me as a Star Wars droid.

I wish I could explain better. Maybe it's because he's too "futuristic" for the Star Wars universe, lacking the mechanical/real world "clunk" of other droids we've seen. Maybe it's because he has an astromech droid head that is smaller than any other astromech we've seen. Based on what's been revealed about his role in the movie, R2-D2 would be better choice every time. I don't understad why I can't better articulate it.

Of everything I've seen for VII, nothing comes close to saying to me "this was built a designed purely for merchandising".

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cheesus posted:

I wish I could explain better. Maybe it's because he's too "futuristic" for the Star Wars universe, lacking the mechanical/real world "clunk" of other droids we've seen. Maybe it's because he has an astromech droid head that is smaller than any other astromech we've seen. Based on what's been revealed about his role in the movie, R2-D2 would be better choice every time. I don't understad why I can't better articulate it.

Of everything I've seen for VII, nothing comes close to saying to me "this was built a designed purely for merchandising".

What? I have a bb-8 Sphero and that thing is Star Wars as gently caress.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cheesus posted:

this was built a designed purely for merchandising".

Welcome to Star Wars I guess?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

e: wrong SW thread

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Every time I see Kylo Ren all I can think is neeeeeeerrrrrrrrd.

I really hope they sell that aspect of his character.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Unlike R2, BB-8 could conceivably go down a flight of stairs without rockets, though.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

iSheep posted:

Every time I see Kylo Ren all I can think is neeeeeeerrrrrrrrd.

I really hope they sell that aspect of his character.

Kylo just wants Vader-senpai to notice him. He's the Sith version of a Hot Topic shopper.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Cheesus posted:

Oh man, I think he fits so well. He's so ridiculous and full of character. Just the movements look loving cheeky and excitable and full of nervous energy. His (largely practical) ball like nature is so goofy it's a perfect fit.

I mean, he's obviously designed to be merchandised, but thats OK. This is a series where people buy the merchandise of stuff they think is cool. BB8 is cool, therefore BB8 is merchandisable. There's a chicken/egg argument as to which came first and I don't think it matters a drat.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

apparently the sphere part of BB8 is also a storage compartment since Rey/Poe hide the blue lightsaber in it? to me it doesn't look big enough, but I haven't seen enough size comparison next to a person.

the blue lightsaber floating through space thing is kinda dumb. I'm sure it will be downplayed and explained away by the Force, destiny, etc. so I dont care

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

apparently the sphere part of BB8 is also a storage compartment since Rey/Poe hide the blue lightsaber in it? to me it doesn't look big enough, but I haven't seen enough size comparison next to a person.

the blue lightsaber floating through space thing is kinda dumb. I'm sure it will be downplayed and explained away by the Force, destiny, etc. so I dont care

The first trailer made him look real small, but it looks like he's actually knee-height and fairly large.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
new chinese trailer and its pretty great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECYgD7zylrE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Viller posted:

new chinese trailer and its pretty great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECYgD7zylrE

There's some new footage here, mostly extensions on scenes that have been played through trailers so far.

The biggest find by far was the sound Kylo's DIY lightsabre makes, holy poo poo 9 days cannot pass quick enough.

• Locked thread