Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Hyper Luigi Twins owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I thought Link to the Past was the first Zelda game when I was a kid, am I millennial.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

nomadologique posted:

super mario land is the coolest.

I like the weird submarine in that game but the Wario games were better.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
ya the wario games were really good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Stalin-Chan posted:

I thought Link to the Past was the first Zelda game when I was a kid, am I millennial.
no, you're just a retard

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

super mario land is the coolest.

:agreed:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nomadologique posted:

WarioLand for GCN is my poo poo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

Wasn't it impossible to lose a Wario game.

Imagine if a modern video game made kids start all over every time they hosed up like old school games did. They would literally cry.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i'm pretty sure kids back in the day cried too about hard video game si know i did and it made me the pussy human being i am today :cheers:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

wait i have just the solution for this unbeatable and frustrating game! (pops in game genie)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

wait i have just the solution for this unbeatable and frustrating game! (pops in game genie)

I just remembered GameFAQS existed

And before then $9.99 books that told me how to get through StarTropics

The only books I bought as a kid were used to help me play video games. Something's hosed up about that.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

EugeneJ posted:

I just remembered GameFAQS existed

And before then $9.99 books that told me how to get through StarTropics

The only books I bought as a kid were used to help me play video games. Something's hosed up about that.

I got a big paperback book on how to beat a bunch of nintendo games from the Scholastic! monthly book mail order program my school did

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol if you think i'm gonna point my little sprite at every loving tile on the world map pushing B and hoping i accidentally find the strongest weapon in the game.

#primastrats

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spacemang_spliff posted:

I got a big paperback book on how to beat a bunch of nintendo games from the Scholastic! monthly book mail order program my school did

I remember Scholastic would have Book Fairs and every year they'd have these $5 grab bags of books and lovely VHS tapes - they were so cool

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

were they the ones that sent out the monthly catalog? spacemang suggests as much. i used to get free pizza hut personal pizzas like every month because i'd order books from them and read them and submit a list of what i read or something like that i can't rmemeber but poo poo i woulda read those books without the incentive so basically free free pizaa. (minus cost of books, thanks mom and dad.)

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Stalin-Chan posted:

Nah, there are probably shitloads of people out there who think Ocarina was the first.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

nomadologique posted:

were they the ones that sent out the monthly catalog? spacemang suggests as much. i used to get free pizza hut personal pizzas like every month because i'd order books from them and read them and submit a list of what i read or something like that i can't rmemeber but poo poo i woulda read those books without the incentive so basically free free pizaa. (minus cost of books, thanks mom and dad.)

maybe it wasn't monthly but it was pretty close. maybe once per 9 weeks. but yeah they had the little catalogs they would send out to classrooms. then they'd do the book fair in the library :3:

I got a lot of Goosebumps books from them

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nomadologique posted:

oh god, this was the highlight of elementary school. reading enough books to earn a trip to Pizza Hut was heaven.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Zelda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfC9OlL-wP8

Guy at 3:05 can't even put his loving DS down long enough to talk to the interviewer

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Speaking of Zelda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfC9OlL-wP8

Guy at 3:05 can't even put his loving DS down long enough to talk to the interviewer
to be fair, this is great for everyone involved. nerds get good music, symphony orchestras get more money and hype, video games get better exposure

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it also helps that video game music is cool and good, and clearly evokes a scene because it's like, 'this is the song that was playing during the ganondorf battle, it makes me think of the ganondorf battle', when other classical music needs a bit more to digest and discuss and ain't nobody got time for that poo poo

imo this is probably the way to go for orchestras, especially if they branch out to other games that never got much orchestral treatments

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

it also helps that video game music is cool and good, and clearly evokes a scene because it's like, 'this is the song that was playing during the ganondorf battle, it makes me think of the ganondorf battle'

imo this is probably the way to go for orchestras, especially if they branch out to other games that never got much orchestral treatments
hell, if there's one that does the Undertale OST, i might pony up the money

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyra_Solune posted:

it also helps that video game music is cool and good, and clearly evokes a scene because it's like, 'this is the song that was playing during the ganondorf battle, it makes me think of the ganondorf battle', when other classical music needs a bit more to digest and discuss and ain't nobody got time for that poo poo

I'd be down for movie scores performed by the original composer live

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

I'm the old guy paying for some Zelda.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wicker Man posted:

I'm the old guy paying for some Zelda.
i'm the guy in cargo shorts and the NES controller t-shirt awkwardly shuffling his way downtown

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

symbolic posted:

hell, if there's one that does the Undertale OST, i might pony up the money

hmmmmm. to me some songs seem like they'd be cool orchestra-ified but a lot seem like they wouldn't work

i was about to say 'like metal crusher' but then i realized that would actually be pretty sweet so maybe i'm wrong

MSN-04 Sazabi
Dec 7, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
should I even play undertale? it seems like hipster garbage. all the hype is making me foam at the mouth and get all angry.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

EugeneJ posted:

Wasn't it impossible to lose a Wario game.

Imagine if a modern video game made kids start all over every time they hosed up like old school games did. They would literally cry.

That's why I liked Super Mario Land more than any Wario game. It molded me, made me hard. Ten year old me became a video game man when I beat it the first time.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

MSN-04 Sazabi posted:

should I even play undertale? it seems like hipster garbage. all the hype is making me foam at the mouth and get all angry.

eh the music and writing are fantastic but the gameplay is super repetitive and boring. try the demo and if you hate the gameplay then it doesn't get any better so you may as well not play it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

i asked my big gamer friend to explain undertale to me and why it was good and he just kind of stammered some incoherent stuff out about how you play it a bunch of times and the characters react to your choices and then was like "you really just have to play it" and then i didn't because it sounded like one of those dumb interactive stories games that isn't actually a game like if i want to read a book i'll just read a book i don't need to turn the page by pressing a key

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

millenial opinion but just watch the dunkey lets play of undertale

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Cowman posted:

eh the music and writing are fantastic but the gameplay is super repetitive and boring. try the demo and if you hate the gameplay then it doesn't get any better so you may as well not play it.

the boss battles were all wonderful though, but i agree the game sort of suffered by the random encounters being too easy and spread too thin across levels that were too long up until literally the last dungeon, which is still a little lengthy

the existence of a hard mode is really cool at first because suddenly the first encounters are just crazy poo poo flying everywhere, but then uh, it stops existing

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

mr. mephistopheles posted:

i asked my big gamer friend to explain undertale to me and why it was good and he just kind of stammered some incoherent stuff out about how you play it a bunch of times and the characters react to your choices and then was like "you really just have to play it" and then i didn't because it sounded like one of those dumb interactive stories games that isn't actually a game like if i want to read a book i'll just read a book i don't need to turn the page by pressing a key

it breaks the 4th wall and has a bunch of super cheesy humor in it from what I played. it's pretty well written and entertaining but gently caress if I know anything about the plot other than you're a human wanting to leave this labyrinth thing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i asked my big gamer friend
you have an sa account WITH an avatar. you are your big gamer friend. dont try to high road your friend on these forums

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

real reasons to play it: the mini-bullet hell things as enemy attacks is a neat and the bosses get really creative with it, though as i said too easy on random battles until the end, and the game has a good sense of humor that is especially effective if you have rpg experience. don't worry your buns about multiple endings or whatever, and realize that the game does come through tumblr-ish fandoms so people will get dumb about it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i hate most RPGs and never did anything to sway my opinion of Undertale before i played it

i think it's a great game with fantastic writing, very memorable characterws, and unique gameplay mechanics

the story is tepid and the random encounters do get very samey, but w/e, i still enjoyed it

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this is a weird derail but let's be real here, undertale is going to be seen as the messiah of writing to a heck of a lot of millennials and that's going to influence how they think as they, for better or worse, become important

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
within the century one of America's presidents will have coplayed as a homestuck character

in fact they might even run their campaign while indeed in cosplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:gas:

no jpg
s

• Locked thread