Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Clinton1011 posted:

There are super magic computers in the dresdenverse. Donar Vadderung has one & Harry asked if he wanted to turn it off before he got any closer so it wouldnt fry. Donar just laughed at him.

Yeah but All Father Odin Vadderung doesn't give a hot gently caress about the rules.

Are we still spoilering stuff about Donar? Changes wasn't a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought The Ateocity Archives was a bit of a slog for the first 100 pages or so. Once they get to Amsterdam it picks up. I think it suffers for having all this jargon explaining how magic works (and I get that Stross wants to create this sense of verisimilitude for the setting) and not really doing very much with it.

When it stops being "User's Manual 2004" and becomes "Castle Wolfenstein" it's a lot more entertaining.

I don't actually know much about Stross beyond him working with computers before he became a writer. I remember him being pro-independence during the Scottish referendum last year but I can't remember if it was because THE TORIES THE TORIES THE TORIES THE TORIES THE TORIES or if he had sophisticated reasons.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

I would read the gently caress out of this.

It's not urban fantasy, but in Discworld, there's a literally a computer (named Hex, of course) that operates via ants crawling through tubes and through punch card holes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Indeed.

:thejoke:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what's this part? Has he written about this someone? What methods was she teaching that he worked into the book?

Not sure exactly where, that link might be one place, but he gets asked a lot about it in Q&As. Check out his Q&As on youtube - he's actually a really funny guy to listen to, they're worth the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slanderer posted:

EDIT: oh for fucks sake

Arguably a better title, since at least it wouldn't mix google results with white supremacists.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Slanderer posted:

I think it's from this interview.

Also, lol @ the origin of Bob:

EDIT: oh for fucks sake

The witch doctor curse story has to be heard - it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJDn-ggqOo

Story starts at about the 1:30:00 mark (The rest of the interview is pretty good, too)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Arguably a better title, since at least it wouldn't mix google results with white supremacists.

My main gripe is with "The Dresden Chronicles, Book One". I think there are enough lovely fantasy paperbacks with titles like "SHARDS OF L'JALKL: BOOK 1 OF THE BURNING QUEEN CHRONICLE" or "the oiled man: book 3 of the fuckboi cycle".

Thank god we got a lovely fantasy paperback with a slightly less stereotypical name!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Slanderer posted:

The book was then called "The Dresden Chronicles, Book One: Semiautomagic."

All I can think of after reading that name is this:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Clinton1011 posted:

There are super magic computers in the dresdenverse. Donar Vadderung has one & Harry asked if he wanted to turn it off before he got any closer so it wouldnt fry. Donar just laughed at him.

I always figured that was someone finally figured out the same thing Butters was working towards, and just made a Faraday cage that worked on magic as well. Tech works around Harry as long as it's in a circle, so maybe a more refined circle, or even as Harry said in one of the books that a circle doesn't have to be an actual circle, it just helps. Someone with enough skill and power (like Donar) could probably make a computer that had a circle built into the case to protect it. Make it part of the monitor as well and the whole thing should work no matter what you throw at it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
If a single wizard thought to hire an an engineer or two and clued them in, they could have an awful lot of technology work fine around them. Since circles allow photons, sound and several other non-magical energy forms through them, it's quite simple to create transmit information/commands through a circle to control objects.

Generating light for example, can be done very simply, both magically and non magically outside the circle to send messages. The hardest part is creating a system to modulate it as necessary using as pre-'40s tech and/or magic. There's no reason harry couldn't run a 19th century typewriter interface to a modern computer in a circle with a little engineering and use keyboard commands everywhere. A glorified low-tech wireless keyboard. A mouse is a little harder to low-techify.

Alternatively he could just wear some elven (non-magnetic metal) thorn manacles and Butters could take all the MRI's he wanted.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 1, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MildShow posted:

The witch doctor curse story has to be heard - it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJDn-ggqOo

Story starts at about the 1:30:00 mark (The rest of the interview is pretty good, too)

That story (as is this whole video) is amazing. Thank you for posting this.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
In the next book, harry puts on thorn manacles, gets on the internet for the first time, discovers goatse, and never returns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

seaborgium posted:

I always figured that was someone finally figured out the same thing Butters was working towards, and just made a Faraday cage that worked on magic as well. Tech works around Harry as long as it's in a circle, so maybe a more refined circle, or even as Harry said in one of the books that a circle doesn't have to be an actual circle, it just helps. Someone with enough skill and power (like Donar) could probably make a computer that had a circle built into the case to protect it. Make it part of the monitor as well and the whole thing should work no matter what you throw at it.

My suspicion is that Vadderung has enough control over the physics of his own demesne that random chaotic effects like computers frying out aren't an issue there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A similar effect is probably in play at Molly's apartment, what with it being under the Aegis of the Svartalves.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

With Vadderung I totally figured it's a Will thing. He expects that computer to keep working, so it's going to keep loving working because He says so.

With the Svartalfs I figured it was because they're Just That Good.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I forget where I read it so it might be WOJ but Luccio is really interested in computers and computer theory. If she never gets adjusted enough to her new body to start making swords again, she might be in a good position to start making magical computers or interfaces.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I forget where I read it so it might be WOJ but Luccio is really interested in computers and computer theory. If she never gets adjusted enough to her new body to start making swords again, she might be in a good position to start making magical computers or interfaces.

I want to say it comes up in Turn Coat, but I am not 100% positive.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

docbeard posted:

I want to say it comes up in Turn Coat, but I am not 100% positive.

Small Favor. It's before she and Harry start dating.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

She just says she reads about them. She still can't use them.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Rygar201 posted:

She just says she reads about them. She still can't use them.

I know, I was inferring that with her 200 years experience, interest in the topic, and potentially 300 years left(her new body's younger than Harry) she might be able to cover a lot of ground researching potential wizard technology interfaces, or even invent a magical method of digital logic that others can build on.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
You know, it occurs to me while re-reading the series (I'm just finishing Cold Days at this point) that while mortals see Harry as this socially awkward loon, by the end of Cold Days Harry should be absolutely terrifying to any supernatural being, and nobody should take him for granted. I mean, just reading the books, if his enemies know even half of what he'd done, very few would mess with him. I mean, by the time he comes back in Cold Days after the events of Changes and Ghost Story, I don't think there's any supernatural threat under the level of the Fairie Queens that would possibly mess with him.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Two books before Cold Days he took a completely non-magical bullet to the chest and went down for the count, and that was after getting his Winter Knight mojo.

Also, for a bit of perspective: Harry's pretty junior for a wizard. Any of the Senior Council could hand him his rear end on a platter without breaking a sweat. Red Court went to war against them anyways, and it was actually winning for a while.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Khizan posted:

Two books before Cold Days he took a completely non-magical bullet to the chest and went down for the count, and that was after getting his Winter Knight mojo.

And he came back from that too, I'd see that as even more reason not to mess with him rather than the other way around.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gygaxian posted:

You know, it occurs to me while re-reading the series (I'm just finishing Cold Days at this point) that while mortals see Harry as this socially awkward loon, by the end of Cold Days Harry should be absolutely terrifying to any supernatural being, and nobody should take him for granted. I mean, just reading the books, if his enemies know even half of what he'd done, very few would mess with him. I mean, by the time he comes back in Cold Days after the events of Changes and Ghost Story, I don't think there's any supernatural threat under the level of the Fairie Queens that would possibly mess with him.

He mentions time and again that the senior members of the White Council could hand him his rear end without breaking a sweat. And the Black Council probably could as well. Definitely Cowl.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Khizan posted:

Also, for a bit of perspective: Harry's pretty junior for a wizard. Any of the Senior Council could hand him his rear end on a platter without breaking a sweat. Red Court went to war against them anyways, and it was actually winning for a while.

True, but by the time he comes back, he's killed a Summer Lady, destroyed the Red Court, survived taking on the Denarians, and etc. While most of the Senior Council could crush him, how many people that aren't them know that?

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Harry mentions a few times I think that members of the counsel fear him a bit due to stories of things he has done. The one i remember off the top of my head is near the end of turn coat.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah they know what he's done but not the How. So most people with sense are terrified of him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah they know what he's done but not the How. So most people with sense are terrified of him.

That was part of the reason Chicago started getting worse while Harry was dead. Most everything was at least aware that Harry didn't take kindly to people messing with Chicago, and based on his track record he was at the very minimum going to gently caress with you, if not destroy you for doing something there. Molly for sure, and I'm pretty sure Murphy state flat out that supernatural predators/evil dudes stayed away because Harry was there, and as soon as he was gone they started moving in.

At some point the Fomor are going to have to be the focus of a book, as right now they're kind of background noise but they have to be doing something will all the low level talents they're scooping up. And if they can keep the White Council occupied enough in Europe to risk a fairly big Way station in Chicago they have to be fairly powerful.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oroborus posted:

Harry mentions a few times I think that members of the counsel fear him a bit due to stories of things he has done. The one i remember off the top of my head is near the end of turn coat.

Rygar201 posted:

*insert White Council Dresden dossier here*

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I know, I was inferring that with her 200 years experience, interest in the topic, and potentially 300 years left(her new body's younger than Harry) she might be able to cover a lot of ground researching potential wizard technology interfaces, or even invent a magical method of digital logic that others can build on.

Don't wizards get older than 300, I thought it was 400-500-ish.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wizards can stay alive longer than 300, depends how battered they get.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Most of the Senior council is 300, give or take a decade or two, with the exceptions of the youthful Cristos and the Ancient, Mai. I'm pretty sure Ancient is a White Council title though it hasn't been explicitly stated. Dresden said in TC that Ebenezar was starting to feel the physical effects of his age, and he fought in the French and Indian War as a young man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bowmore posted:

Wizards can stay alive longer than 300, depends how battered they get.

If getting battered lowers a wizard's life expectancy, Harry's should be around that of a normal human's by now.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is captain Grimm basically supposed to be Harry if he had a flying pirate ship?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

No. Harry isn't nearly as suave as The Grim Captain.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Rygar201 posted:

Most of the Senior council is 300, give or take a decade or two, with the exceptions of the youthful Cristos and the Ancient, Mai. I'm pretty sure Ancient is a White Council title though it hasn't been explicitly stated. Dresden said in TC that Ebenezar was starting to feel the physical effects of his age, and he fought in the French and Indian War as a young man.

It's as least as much a descriptive title as it may be a positional title. Her age is somewhere well above 400, at least. Or so we've been told.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

If getting battered lowers a wizard's life expectancy, Harry's should be around that of a normal human's by now.
It probably is if you don't factor in the Winter Knight mantle

though something tells me he will have healed his broken back with wizard healing factor by the time he gets rid of the mantle

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Azuth0667 posted:

He doesn't have anywhere near the problems with authority. Or women.

Grimm is pretty cool tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zore posted:

He doesn't have anywhere near the problems with authority. Or women.

Grimm is pretty cool tbh.

He really is, and doesn't feel like he's trying too hard. Bayard kind of does, but in a believable way.