Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
spoiler: moffat didn't make doctor who into "a wizard did it"

that's the premise of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo the only good thing to have come from dr who is dalek jokes on QI.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the tom cruise legend?

:doh:

i mean the tim curry legend?

it's fun with a 90s squeeze

laugh at the goofy parts and try not to think of the cruise and/or cute girl dancing with curry devil

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

syscall girl posted:

the tom cruise legend?

:doh:

i mean the tim curry legend?

it's fun with a 90s squeeze

laugh at the goofy parts and try not to think of the cruise and/or cute girl dancing with curry devil

no the new one with tom hardy where he plays mobster twins

im probably just gonna rewatch Bronson anyway to get my good tom hardy fix. or mad max but ive seen that like a dozen times now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DiggityDoink posted:

no the new one with tom hardy where he plays mobster twins

im probably just gonna rewatch Bronson anyway to get my good tom hardy fix. or mad max but ive seen that like a dozen times now

i hear tom hardy does an amazing job but the movie as such is kinda boring

like one reviewer made it a point to mention a scene where one of the twins parodies the other, and the reviewer was like, "holy gently caress that's exaxctly what that dude is like", completely forgetting that theyre both tom hardy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

mad max but ive seen that like a dozen times now

what's your favorite fury road repeat-viewing detail?

for me it's how both furiousa and max are wounded by the same bozo, and they remove the weapons from their wounds in nearly-consecurive shots (furiosa pulls knife, we see it hit the ground, max slaps the crossbow bolt out of his hand on the side of the people eater's limousine)

either that or just how the doof warrior is perfect in every way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for me it's how both furiousa and max are wounded by the same bozo, and they remove the weapons from their wounds in nearly-consecurive shots (furiosa pulls knife, we see it hit the ground, max slaps the crossbow bolt out of his hand on the side of the people eater's limousine)

i like furiosa

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i just really like all the minor details that are throwbacks to the older movies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DiggityDoink posted:

i just really like all the minor details that are throwbacks to the older movies

those are the worst part of any movie. gently caress!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i like the rhythm of the fight between max and furiosa outside the rig, especially how it keeps cutting back to unconscious nux being hauled around by his chain.

also all the features and improvements to the rig that make it an effective wasteland war machine. locking gas pedal, maintenance slings in the undercarriage, dozer blade, and so on.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

man, some people are angry about jj. Watch a few episodes if you like it, watch some more. If you don't like it, though, make sure you come here to tell us.

While we're on it, The Forever War is long and boring (we get it, vietnam IN SPACE) same with Gateway (blu blu blu being rich sucks) and Honor Harrington is literally CTRL-H -> British Empire -> Space Empire (even to the point that the "space" ships have to use broadsides because of "reasons").

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if you wanna see a CTRL-H done well, look to David Drake's RCN series. weber's a hack

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The Forever War is long and boring (we get it, vietnam IN SPACE)

it's amazing that you can type and breathe at the same time tbqh

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

While we're on it, The Forever War is long and boring (we get it, vietnam IN SPACE)

what the hell man

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Glorgnole posted:

i like the rhythm of the fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3GmC1HDx08

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
quarterly public service announcement that david weber subtly named the main antagonist (and political caricature) of his most popular series robert s. pierre

e: each book of the series also has an exhaustive wikipedia entry containing thousands of words of plot summaries

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 7, 2015

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

While we're on it, The Forever War is long and boring

actually, it's the opposite of these two things

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Glorgnole posted:

actually, it's the opposite of these two things

meh. the first part was okay but the rest was just boring and samesie and it barely managed to hide the fact that it was 'vietnam war - in space but with clones'

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

future war more like :quig:. would recommend

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

meh. the first part was okay but the rest was just boring and samesie and it barely managed to hide the fact that it was 'vietnam war - in space but with clones'

that's pretty much the whole point of the book, though. it was written while the vietnam war was still going on by a veteran of the vietnam war. a major theme is the alienation experienced by soldiers returning to society from warzones, and the ways in which each group copes with how the other changes during their separation, i.e. big ol vietnam war stuff.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

what the hell man

he's just butthurt that other people don't like comic book shows as much as he does

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Bhodi posted:

e: each book of the series also has an exhaustive wikipedia entry containing thousands of words of plot summaries

having someone read more words so they know enough to read fewer of david webers is still a net positive here

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

at the date posted:

it's amazing that you can type and breathe at the same time tbqh

holy poo poo do you realize how hard it is to agree with MRA stymie? hes correct for once here

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

man, some people are angry about jj. Watch a few episodes if you like it, watch some more. If you don't like it, though, make sure you come here to tell us.

While we're on it, The Forever War is long and boring (we get it, vietnam IN SPACE) same with Gateway (blu blu blu being rich sucks) and Honor Harrington is literally CTRL-H -> British Empire -> Space Empire (even to the point that the "space" ships have to use broadsides because of "reasons").

goddamn you are so loving wrong about the forever war

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
E; faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Honor Harrington is literally CTRL-H -> British Empire -> Space Empire (even to the point that the "space" ships have to use broadsides because of "reasons").
:monocle:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
what i've heard about honour harrington he might be right about that though

i picked uplift war at random, but had to quit because it was too silly even for scifi

recommend me a new scifi book

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hogge Wild posted:

what i've heard about honour harrington he might be right about that though
of course he is, it's the most trivial thing you could possibly say about it

it's probably been mentioned a double-digit number of times over this thread's course and nobody ever forgets to throw in the bit about space broadsides

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
like after slaying the sacred cows of forever war and gateway why would it cross your mind to take honor loving harrington down a peg, i don't understand

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i've never heard anything about honor harrington that made it sound even vaguely like something i would want to read

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

forever war long? you're in a thread that routinely features thousand page forest clearing tomes forever war is a perfectly normal length and is even easier to read because it has three very well defined acts

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I added a disclaimer to my okcupid page that I don't like dr who and my dating life is the better for it

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

DiggityDoink posted:

holy poo poo do you realize how hard it is to agree with MRA stymie? hes correct for once here

you're thinking of Internaut, please correct your yospos.dbf tia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

jre posted:

It's a children's show, you are just as dumb as the person who wrote that article

Hurr let me write a detailed critique of the inconsistent characterisation of tom and jerry episodes

after 4+ years of otherwise normal-seeming adults telling me "omg this show is great you have to watch it if you love sci fi" I really had no idea that it was a children's show. the same poo poo happens with Harry Potter but I know those books are for 10 year olds, idk poo poo about the Dr Who universe (have never seen an epidode)

theflyingexecutive posted:

I added a disclaimer to my okcupid page that I don't like dr who and my dating life is the better for it

I started doing this but the list got so long I had to pare it back to the basics: no cops, no troops. everything else can be danced around. like ok if you want to talk about Dr. Who I'll bring up the differences between various versions of the Fall of Gondolin. checkmate.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
it's a family show

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Why can't you assholes just like things and not like things like normal people instead of having to constantly have lovely little slapfights about everything

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
because this is yospos, we aren't capable of regular human interaction

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Why can't you assholes just like things and not like things like normal people instead of having to constantly have lovely little slapfights about everything

95% of adults who like dr who are insufferable emotionally stunted children, and there can't be two of those in a relationship. i'm not yahweh, i won't save sodom for the sake of that 5%

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what is the point of discussing art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
someone start a yosart thread lmao

• Locked thread