Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah in the 0.7a patch the costs seemed a lot less. A few k credits, never more than 30,000. But the first time I went to bribe someone in 0.7.1a they wanted over two hundred thousand credits. That's never going to be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

These smuggling investigations are actually starting to piss me off. An investigation started after I unloaded some 40 units of drugs on the black market and I tried to go and bribe the investigator but one patrol decided to sit around the respective planet for over a month of ingame time, preventing me from turning my transponder off to bribe the investigator (I eventually just loaded back and went off to do my own poo poo). When I came back later the investigator wanted 192,000 credits and if I don't bribe the bitch I get hit with a 124 relationship penalty.

Like I could understand if I was regularly smuggling in shittons of drugs, harvested organs, weapons and whatever the gently caress else but the rare offloading of some drugs looted from pirates or buying some rare weapons shouldn't gently caress you over this bad, especially when you're at maximum relations.

Selling large sums on the black market is what gets you killed. Buying isn't a big deal but huge sell-offs will get factions pissed off right quick.

The investigators extorting you is par for the course though. 192k is higher than I've seen by a lot. I've seen 60-80k but not twice that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Did you sell the drugs with your transponder on?

Yeah, because trying to sneak into ports with the transponder off is an exercise in frustration and savescumming repetition as there is almost always a patrol just offscreen which prevents accessing the black market.

FooF posted:

Selling large sums on the black market is what gets you killed. Buying isn't a big deal but huge sell-offs will get factions pissed off right quick.

See, my experience is that the nuance of whether you're buying, selling, and in what amounts doesn't actually matter. I posted earlier about facing almost the exact same situation (just with a smaller bribe) that resulted from buying a pair of AM blasters. I also wouldn't consider 40 units of drugs to be a huge sell-off.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 7, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, because trying to sneak into ports with the transponder off is an exercise in frustration and savescumming repetition as there is almost always a patrol just offscreen which prevents accessing the black market.

You can openly sell illegal goods to military markets for no rep hit. You can also take some of the heat off smuggling by making large legitimate transactions after your black market ones but before you leave the station.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I think the amount he wants is pretty par for the hit you're trying to buy off.

I mean, he's got you over a barrel, and he knows it. Of course he's going to take you for everything you are worth.

This isn't bad programming imo, it's realistic.

If Can gently caress Over,
Then Do,
End If.

Or whatever the gently caress it would be in Java.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

I also wouldn't consider 40 units of drugs to be a huge sell-off.

The galaxy wide War on Drugs has led to some pretty extreme mandatory minimum sentences.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I would like some new leadership tree ability to dump points into where the level 5 or 10 reward is if you wipe out an enemy fleet not within sensor range of any fleet friendly to it while you are running dark, there's no reputation hit with that faction.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

You can openly sell illegal goods to military markets for no rep hit. You can also take some of the heat off smuggling by making large legitimate transactions after your black market ones but before you leave the station.

This sounds very realistic.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

McGiggins posted:

If Can gently caress Over,
Then Do,
End If.

Or whatever the gently caress it would be in Java.

code:
public gently caress[] getFucked(Fucker fucksGiver) {
    if (fucksGiver.fucksGiven().canGiveFucks()) {
        gently caress[] fucks = (new FuckFactory()).genFucks(fucksGiver, gently caress.FUCK_OVER);
        return fucks;
    }
    else {
        return gently caress.NO_FUCKS;
    }
}

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ironclads did a 'kick the tires' beta update, most of the features haven't been ported/integrated in yet though

I wish Obsidian Void would get updated but he's got his own game to work on now

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Ait so if you want to reroll now would be a good time because SS+ BRDY and Tiandong just updated MOTHERFUCKERS

Get brdy here

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Fuckin' Sweet :golfclap:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

II and Templars patched too!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Oh my god, everything updated.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

And get Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.0.5 here!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tanith posted:

Oh my god, everything updated.

Collusion!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MesoTroniK posted:

And get Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.0.5 here!

:911: :kheldragar: :911:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Ait so if you want to reroll now would be a good time because SS+ BRDY and Tiandong just updated MOTHERFUCKERS

Get brdy here

Yessssss, the game just isn't the same without your mod!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Haha SS+ gave the Luddic Path enforcers.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Pavlov posted:

:stare:

Can't wait to get my poo poo pushed in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like a doggone scrub saying this but Easy mode makes the initial stretch of this game so much less stressful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pavlov posted:

How is SS+? It adds a fuckton of ships while also tweaking a ton of other things and I'm not really sure how well balanced that's gonna be.

Then again, who gives a gently caress about balance. My mod list for a new 7.1a playthrough:

Starsector+
Blackrock Driveyards
Citadel Conglomerate
Diable Avionics
Interstellar Imperium
Junk Pirates / ASP / PACK
Nihil
Omnifactory
Scy Nation
Shadowyards
The Knights Templar
Tiandong Heavy Industries

Ready to get so much of my poo poo kicked in!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Right off the bat my starting Wolf is 61/50 ordinance points with an antimatter blaster and two burst pd lasers taking up 23 of them so uhhhhhhhhh

E: And now a special yellow faction bounty that's hovering around Jangala with a dozen custom ships who isn't hostile to the Hegemony for some reason so I can't go anywhere near the place?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 7, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Do i need to do the RAM thing every patch or is it just a once off thing as long as i dont delete all the old stuff when updating?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

grimcreaper posted:

Do i need to do the RAM thing every patch or is it just a once off thing as long as i dont delete all the old stuff when updating?

I believe it's every patch, seeing as each one is its own installer. I just made a .7z with my version of vmparams and the 64-bit java folder, when I update just delete those and extract.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I'm browsing this starsector+ mod and all the associated mods that are with it and god dang that's...alot. I'm curious but also afraid, I get 60-62 FPS on the base game so I don't know how much it will suffer if I decide to give it a shot.

EDIT: Never mind I'm an idiot regarding being unable to read simple words. But my above questions still stands. I'm on an old Dell with a dumb integrated graphics card.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 7, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Blackray Jack posted:

I'm browsing this starsector+ mod and all the associated mods that are with it and god dang that's...alot. I'm curious but also afraid, I get 60-62 FPS on the base game so I don't know how much it will suffer if I decide to give it a shot.

EDIT: Never mind I'm an idiot regarding being unable to read simple words. But my above questions still stands. I'm on an old Dell with a dumb integrated graphics card.

SS+ and Shaderlib enable a whole bunch of extra graphics bells and whistles, but if you have a crappy machine you can go into the .json files and edit them to turn off the enhanced graphics. Once you do that it shouldn't run much worse than vanilla.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
SS+ is great so far, I couldn't get Citadel to work but BRDY, Shadowyards, and Templars are all I was really after.

Not a fan of the bubble effect on some shield impacts and explosions though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Having a bunch of mods makes loading and saving take ~30 seconds each time, but that's not too much of a hassle unless you're an unrepentant savescummer that has to save every five minutes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially with a lot of bullshit that's in these mods (yellow bounties, templars, luddic path high-speed assholes, etc)

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013
I was holding off for the mods before starting a new pilot. Thanks for all your hard work guys.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Tarezax posted:

but if you have a crappy machine you can go into the .json files and edit them to turn off the enhanced graphics.

How would I do that exactly? Not too familiar with .json files.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Blackray Jack posted:

How would I do that exactly? Not too familiar with .json files.

Once you've extracted the mods go into their folders (Starsector+ and Shaderlib folders), and you should be able to find files that are named (something)settings.json. Just open them with notepad and read the instructions inside the file for what you should change.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I'm still pretty new to the game, and bounty hunting is fine and all (although the 20K bounties are gone now in lieu of 30Kers, which I assume have bigger fleets.) but I'm wondering how soon I should try and make a switch to the SS+ mod and the new factions. From a first-hand experience standpoint aside from the description in the modding threads, how is the SS+ in terms of AI, opposing fleets, how taxing has it been on your system if at all, assuming you just run SS+ and the additional factions? Is it really as good as it advertises? Also thanks again for the help!

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 7, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cleared out a 480k Tri-tach deserter bounty and got my sweet sweet reward of my first Tempest from the wreckage... It was worth all the pain and effort.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Blackray Jack posted:

I'm still pretty new to the game, and bounty hunting is fine and all (although the 20K bounties are gone now in lieu of 30Kers, which I assume have bigger fleets.) but I'm wondering how soon I should try and make a switch to the SS+ mod and the new factions. From a first-hand experience standpoint aside from the description in the modding threads, how is the SS+ in terms of AI, opposing fleets, how taxing has it been on your system if at all, assuming you just run SS+ and the additional factions? Is it really as good as it advertises? Also thanks again for the help!

I think the bounty offerings in the base game scale off your fleet size or thereabouts.

A couple hours into SS+ it's mostly the same with more ships and factions. More stuff on the market that isn't exactly what I'd like, right now, but solid ships are routinely available. The AI has been good with the few factions I've encountered so far but AI in general this release is really strong at adapting to different loadouts and it's an upgrade from a year or more ago that I last played all round. Save/Load times are slower, but battle & otherwise performance has been the same for me (GTX770.) Opposing fleets are quite varied and there's a lot of mixing going on. I'd recommend it along with logging a few hours in the base game before giving it a go.

You can always switch back and forth between SS+ and your original save by loading the relevant mods.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I disagree with the named bounties. After clearing out 20Kers with my three-wolf fleet, they began to huck out 30Kers. Once I learned how truly loving amazing steady officers are at holding their own, we've actually been killing 30K fleets, and now they're throwing 40K bounties at me. I think it goes up the more named bounties you kill to be honest. The only bad thing is I'm not seeing any more of the smaller 20-30K bounty fleets to train up on, but I have 200K burning a hole in my pocket and a spare steady officer who I have yet to find a ship for. Perhaps it's time to try and find some more good ships to expand my fleet with.

Also looking for feedback from others' on their experiences with SS+ so far.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I picked this up recently and it seems pretty rad. After having a hard time finding anywhere to make good money early, I ran into a couple lucrative contracts for harvested organs which got me enough to expand my fleet. After scouring a shitload of markets, I added a Lasher, a Brawler, and a Cerberus (needed the cargo space) to the Wolf I started with. I have a few questions, though:

I'm not sure when to start trying to add bigger ships. Most of them seem like they'll slow my fleet way down, although there are a few destroyers that are fairly fast. Is there a rough number of Frigates people usually shoot for?

Is it better to just hire Steady officers, or should I be trying to get a mixture, or?

Any suggestions for what affinities/skills to invest in early on?

Also, while my officers seem to be doing a decent job piloting, and I'm enjoying the Wolf quite a bit, I have absolutely no idea how to go about outfitting my ships: A few of them have a bunch of small ballistic mounts, and I'm not really sure what to stick on there. Is there a guide somewhere about outfitting ships or do I just need to keep loving around with it until I get something good?

Lastly, I see that Starsector+ has updated, and I'm pretty excited to check that out, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what faction mods are worth adding. Most of them look pretty cool, but I'd prefer stuff that is fairly balanced with the core game.

Turns out that was a lot of questions.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Haven't played it yet, but I expect BRDY to have become, ironically, the slowest of all player-fleet ships on the main map. The supply costs for full burn must be hilarious.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I'm guessing an exrelin map + Templars is a bad idea? Starting out it didn't look like they're treated like a normal faction as far as generation and placement go. I went with imperium and seeing a few tiny templar detachments wipe out literally everything in the system, including me within a couple days was pretty funny but it probably gets old fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Wallet posted:

Is it better to just hire Steady officers, or should I be trying to get a mixture, or?

Steady officers are basically the default AI plus combat skills, so it's hard to go wrong with Steady. The others are more niche, but they have their place.

Aggressive officers are good for ships designed to get up close and personal with short-ranged, hard-hitting weapons - Steady officers tend to handle these too gingerly, trying to keep the range and manage flux when the ships are designed to say "gently caress it all" and go in for a single rush for the throat. Never put an aggressive officer in charge of a ship designed for finesse, however - they will happily hurl a Wolf right between two cruisers pounding away at each other.

Timid officers are basically meant for your carriers, civilian craft, and MAYBE your long-ranged missile boats. You probably won't have too many, though, since trying to avoid combat entirely isn't that useful for your combat craft save the vulnerable carriers.

I have a hard time working out how useful Cautious officers are in practice, but in theory they'd do better with a lot of long-ranged, stand-off weapons. I've heard reports that they tend to be TOO cautious, though, often more or less avoiding battle entirely. You may want to see how they work out in action, but one thing's for sure - don't put them in heavy-hitter ships designed to brawl.