Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

I swear that says 2015 instead of 2016. And as stated earlier by someone else the white mana symbols look slightly off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I kinda doubt they'll be that pushed TBH. There are a lot of colorless producers in standard including painlands, I doubt they'll be hugely better than cards with the equivalent colored mana costs.

There should be good stuff for decks that are playing colorless guys anyway though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

I swear that says 2015 instead of 2016. And as stated earlier by someone else the white mana symbols look slightly off

Symbols look fine, but that does indeed look more like a 5 than a 6. It's a pretty awful image tho.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

If it makes you feel better: Most of the lands widely agreed on to be Magic's most powerful (Fetchlands, Original Duals and Shocks, as well as Battle Lands) do nothing to help you cast any cards with Colorless mana costs, so you will have to change the construction of your mana base to accommodate Colorless cards.

(I know Workshop won't help cast Eldrazi but I have a hard time believing they're introducing a change like this without using it on all cards, when they want it, moving forward)

On a lesser level,

Also Tron and others, but I just stuck with cards I can think off the top of my head that see play in eternal formats.

To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with colorless mana being diamond mana and actually think it's a good idea, but that statement was just not true.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 7, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Attorney at Funk posted:

Have they ever made this kind of errata mid-block before?

It's not exactly the same, but they started coloring the expansion symbols in Exodus.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some Numbers posted:

It's not exactly the same, but they started coloring the expansion symbols in Exodus.

They also changed a shitload of rules and the associated templating between Urza's Legacy and Destiny, but admittedly that was because core sets came at a weird (in retrospect) time during blocks, and not because they specifically decided to do it mid-block for shits and giggles.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, the release of Sixth Edition right in the middle of Urza's block shook things up a ton.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's weird to do here certainly, but I get what they're going for. BFZ had a 'colorless matters' theme, OGW is intended to go deeper on that with 'colorless mana matters'. Of course, there's not going to be any cards that require colorless mana until then, and making the change without any apparent reason or payoff would look super weird and probably just lead to the theme of OGW being guessed, and the only real difference to BFZ is on what, ten cards, tops? So you may as well wait to reveal it until you have something to actually show for it. Of course, now the timing is super goofy, but it works out better in other regards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I don't understand why they wouldn't make the colorless mana symbol change, and introduce the colorless basic, in the first set of the block, seems like a bad decision

I was about to say that it's insane to have it only only half the expeditions, but I guess they did specifically do the ones with no colorless symbols in them first.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The weird thing is that BFZ had the exact opposite theme: even the colorless cards require colored, not colorless, mana. They can't even say it's because the ~story~ draws some technobabble difference between the way Ulamog and Kozilek's broods digest mana or whatever, except that BFZ had Kozilek-aligned Devoid cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hopefully they use this as an excuse to reprint certain expensive lands not on the Reserved List(obviously not in Standard necessarily, but more copies of, say, Wasteland in circulation would be nice).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

Hopefully they use this as an excuse to reprint certain expensive lands not on the Reserved List(obviously not in Standard necessarily, but more copies of, say, Wasteland in circulation would be nice).

Wasteland would just be taking the entire table that Modern is delicately set up upon and just flipping it over. Even if they don't develop for Modern, it just isn't going to happen.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This change is completely non-functional except for the BRAND NEW SUPER COLORLESS CARDS which will be gimmick that will never affect anyone who isn't playing Tron / 12 Post or possibly the terrible format that is standard right now.

It only has functional realizations for the future of the game, it affects no previous cards, and all cards that add {X} mana now add {D} and this conversion only goes one way ({X} in costs does not become {D} in costs) so it will be trivial to remember for the people playing Tron / 12 Post.

I think it's a stupid gimmick, plays poorly with the first sets "coloredless" cards, and is marginal design space that is effectively just a lovely 6th color retcon, but I doubt they'll use it much in the future because they hopefully realize that it's a crap 6th color replacement, when artifacts are designed to play with all colors, so we won't start seeing random artifacts or Ugin-related poo poo costed like that.

e: wasteland would destroy the three color format of modern. The current trade off for 3 colors vs fewer colors is that you start the game at 15-17 life and sometimes a turn behind, you don't need wasteland loving poo poo up even more. Wasteland is useful in Legacy to punish those three color manabases because they aren't shocking themselves repeatedly. The lands that are truly problematic get hit by GQ and Tec Edge just fine in modern.

The desire to make modern into lovely legacy instead of keeping it a format that is unique is something I don't get - it's as bad as tiny leaders (which is also lovely legacy).

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 7, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ramos posted:

Wasteland would just be taking the entire table that Modern is delicately set up upon and just flipping it over. Even if they don't develop for Modern, it just isn't going to happen.

Like I said, an excuse. Obviously Wasteland is never going to be in a Standard-legal set again, but they could reprint it in a supplementary product with shiny new diamonds where it taps for mana, and then there would be more in circulation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The weird thing is that BFZ had the exact opposite theme: even the colorless cards require colored, not colorless, mana. They can't even say it's because the ~story~ draws some technobabble difference between the way Ulamog and Kozilek's broods digest mana or whatever, except that BFZ had Kozilek-aligned Devoid cards.
Kozilek has been hanging around underground looking for something, I assume the story will be that he's managed to finally unleash the true potential of colorless mana. It doesn't really oppose "devoid" in any way unless you think all themes need to be monocoloured.

e: In fact that Devoid keyword lets you make pseudo gold cards that have colored mana and diamonds in their manacost.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dehtraen posted:

It's a foil with a hologram; it's not fake.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Sigma-X posted:

This change is completely non-functional except for the BRAND NEW SUPER COLORLESS CARDS which will be gimmick that will never affect anyone who isn't playing Tron / 12 Post or possibly the terrible format that is standard right now.

:toot:

The best part of playing 12 Post is being the one guy at Legacy night who bothers reading new cards with CMCs over 3. (Sometimes we share with Nic Fit players, I guess.)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Elyv posted:

To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with colorless mana being diamond mana and actually think it's a good idea, but that statement was just not true.

Many, then! I was thinking of it in the sense of Fetches, Duals and Shocks being 30 total lands, and those 30 lands are a pretty huge chunk of Legacy's land base right now.

e: of Legacy's 50 most played lands right now, 11 are capable of tapping for colorless mana and 19 are either fetches or duals. Of the top 15 nonbasics, only Wasteland can tap for colorless mana (though quite a few more are in the top 25).

Niton fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 7, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
even if the new cards cost actual diamond gemstones to cast, they'd be cheaper than current manabases

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lancelot posted:

even if the new cards cost actual diamond gemstones to cast, they'd be cheaper than current manabases

Well, I mean, so's Travis Woo's mom.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm getting tired of the 4 and 5 colored standard good stuff decks. Oath needs to come with Price of Progress. That will end this bullshit real fast.

Also ban it immediately in modern or burn will just wreck shop.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What if the long awaited reprint of enemy fetches was just the expedition lands and they won't be in shadows or the next fall set?

Tarn $100+?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sigma-X posted:

That's a bold prediction, since we've only seen one Diamond spell spoiled so far. Maybe there will be some pushed spells that are seriously worth splashing for.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dehtraen posted:

That's because it's a blatant fake, anything with ♦ in it is fake, it's all fake! *psych ward men enter the room* You guys agree it's fake right? *they put me in a straight jacket and start dragging me off* FAAAAAA- *they slam the doors on the ambulance and drive off*

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
We should mock everyone that cries "fake" as much as we mock those who speculate on magic cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That RG Landfall guy is insanely good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
inb4 tournament reports / feature matches of people tapping typed basics for diamonds v:shobon:v.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Is it? It seems really average to me. How good is Exploration on turn 4?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lancelot posted:

If i have a bunch of Scyth Leopards and Snapping Glarled's out? Great

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lancelot posted:

Well, it's also a 4/4 body, and if you're treating it as Exploration it "draws" you a card every turn. Add to that lands with ETB effects and the fact that if the land you bounce comes in untapped it only costs 1 to activate, and you have a pretty good card. Not sure if RG landfall is really a good enough deck that this card will be a Standard powerhouse, but in that deck it is very good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Molybdenum posted:

What if the long awaited reprint of enemy fetches was just the expedition lands and they won't be in shadows or the next fall set?

Tarn $100+?

Fetches with BFZ duals was a disaster the first time around I loving hope not.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Since my stepson asked me to make an EDH deck I'm running new Omnath with creatures that are only elemental a or fetch up lands and I think this will be an auto-include.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

Fetches with BFZ duals was a disaster the first time around I loving hope not.

Fetches and duals are fine. The problem is there not being a valid way to punish it. The "feel bads" is hurting good game design atm.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

My hope is they print more lands with ETB effects to abuse the poo poo out of this.

Sickening posted:

Fetches and duals are fine. The problem is there not being a valid way to punish it. The "feel bads" is hurting good game design atm.

I distinctly remember a Bobby Nixon in the last core set that should've been in this standard and more aggressively costed.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 7, 2015

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Modern Playable™. Might find a home in Scapeshift as a replacement for and improvement upon Meloku.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Frank Lepore's got videos of the BR Eldrazi deck in Modern today and it's just a super sweet deck.

When you are Tron and they take your Ghost Quarter from exile with their Oblivion Sower and use it to break up your Tron, that's being hoisted by your own petard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Booklegger posted:

Modern Playable™. Might find a home in Scapeshift as a replacement for and improvement upon Meloku.

Wat.

I will make you a bet that this card is not Modern playable(given a reasonable metric for "Playable"). Also no one plays Meloku, that card's time is long, long past.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Booklegger posted:

Costs 4, doesn't immediately replace itself, doesn't win the game next turn.

Hmm.

HMM.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Booklegger posted:

In what way would scapeshift play a 4 mana spell that might not even ramp and what scapeshift list is playing meloku at all? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Booklegger posted:

Picking up/Playing Extra lands is always going to be abusable. So yes, i agree. IDK if Scapeshift is where it fits though.

• Locked thread