Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It is now 7:33 PM local time, and the CNE has neither officially extended voting hours nor has it ordered the proceedings closed. We're in limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The secret PSUV plan was just to leave the polling places open indefinitely and never actually count the votes.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
NTN24 is reporting that a voting center in Caracas (in the 23 de Enero area) was re-opened recently even though there were no voters present.

I'm also seeing pictures on social media of buses full of voters showing up at voting centers after 7:00 PM. In at least two centers (both in Caracas) people are trying to stop the buses from coming in.

The election is over. They might as well have people vote tomorrow.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Things are coming along, albeit slowly. Thus far 47% of the voting tables (out of roughly 40k) have closed and transmitted the results.

That's according to Eugenio Martinez (https://twitter.com/puzkas), who's the go-to journalist when it comes to Venezuelan election data.

UPDATE: It's important to note that it's the military that's forcing some centers to stay open, not the civilians who run the centers.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 7, 2015

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Caracas Chronicles website has been knocked offline in a hack attack originating in Venezuela.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
How dare they still let people vote during an election with unprecedented turnout.
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuelan-Opposition-Leader-Demands-Booth-Shutdown-20151206-0038.html

quote:

Venezuelan opposition figure Henrique Capriles demanded Sunday voting stations close before 7:00 p.m., when the National Electoral Council had declared they must remain open “so that everyone has a chance to vote.”

Participation appears to have been high in Sunday’s elections, meaning many booths need to stay open in order to cater to all voters.

“Attention: We call on all Venezuelans who voted to go to their voting centers and demand their closure where there are no voters,” Capriles tweeted.

In another tweet, Capriles claimed the lines outside voting stations were part of a conspiracy.

“The pretend lines show what the PSUV controls. Continue closing the voting centers! Lets enforce the law,” he said.

It's unclear why Capriles believes the lines are fake, as it isn't unusual for voting stations to remain open late in Venezuela. In recent elections, many voting stations have remained open past 7 pm.

I'm guessing the PSUV is using their much hyped voodoo magic to conjure up zombie voters to rig the election!

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Borneo Jimmy posted:

How dare they still let people vote during an election with unprecedented turnout.
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuelan-Opposition-Leader-Demands-Booth-Shutdown-20151206-0038.html

I'm guessing the PSUV is using their much hyped voodoo magic to conjure up zombie voters to rig the election!

What's being criticised is that centers remain open by force when there are no voters in line, when they shouldn't according to the law, and that the CNE illegally took a decision without consulting all of its members. Things you would understand if you ever bothered to read anything beyond whichever government propaganda happens to fall into your hands, or know anything about Venezuelan law.

But then again, I would expect you to defend the PSUV if they set puppies on fire on live TV, so kudos for your consistency.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 7, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While I am all for having more people vote (I'm a fan of mandatory voting ala Australia and Brazil), what could the PSUV possibly gain from having centers open? There is already record turnout.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I am all for having more people vote (I'm a fan of mandatory voting ala Australia and Brazil), what could the PSUV possibly gain from having centers open? There is already record turnout.

The most logical scenario, I think, is that the record turnout worked against the PSUV. They need extra time to get as many of their people as they can in there.

Remeber that polls after poll after poll put support for the PSUV at around the 25-30% mark leading up to the election.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Labradoodle posted:

What's being criticised is that centers remain open by force when there are no voters in line
Except there are voters in line, which the opposition claim are somehow being faked.
http://venezuelanalysis.com/6d-elections-2015

quote:

8:25 PM update. Centers in Lara state are still open with voters still lined up outside, according to regional newspaper contrapunto.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Labradoodle posted:

But then again, I would expect you to defend the PSUV if they set puppies on fire on live TV, so kudos for your consistency.

They were clearly paramilitary puppies.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Except there are voters in line, which the opposition claim are somehow being faked.
http://venezuelanalysis.com/6d-elections-2015

Again, the problem is the centers that were kept open without any voters in line. There were plenty and there are videos of witnesses pressuring the military to close them, that's how little people trust them and the CNE.

The point is moot though, the pressure seems to have been enough to force most centers to close, even if three hours late. At the moment, 90% of the results are in.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well, according on the article I posted last night there's no way to prevent a single person voting over a hundred times, so they might have a guy voting for hours while people stand in line without ever going in.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Labradoodle posted:

Again, the problem is the centers that were kept open without any voters in line. There were plenty and there are videos of witnesses pressuring the military to close them, that's how little people trust them and the CNE.

The point is moot though, the pressure seems to have been enough to force most centers to close, even if three hours late. At the moment, 90% of the results are in.

The rumour mill is firing on all cylinders. Someone leaked a video of Lilian Tintori saying that they already knew the results and that they were just waiting to see what the government did.

This is the time when everyone comes out with a friend/uncle/neighbour/acquaintance who knows a guy who works with someone somewhere, and they've got the numbers.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Chuck Boone posted:

The rumour mill is firing on all cylinders. Someone leaked a video of Lilian Tintori saying that they already knew the results and that they were just waiting to see what the government did.

This is the time when everyone comes out with a friend/uncle/neighbour/acquaintance who knows a guy who works with someone somewhere, and they've got the numbers.

Yeah the opposition is already claiming victory despite the results not even being in.
http://cepr.net/blogs/the-americas-blog/live-blogging-venezuela-s-december-6-legislative-elections

quote:

Update 8:53 PM (EST): Venezuela Analysis notes "Opposition leaders such as Henrique Capriles are celebrating their win on Twitter," and Reuters is likewise reporting:

Tres líderes opositores venezolanos dicen que habrían ganado mayoría de escańos en elecciones de Asamblea Nacional; aún no hay confirmación
— @ReutersVzla (@ReutersVzla) December 7, 2015

But the celebration is premature, since, as Reuters notes as the CNE has not announced results yet. Such premature announcements are reminiscent of past elections, such as in 2013, when Capriles cried foul and accused the authorities of a plot to rob him of the election even before results were announced.

Also reminiscent of 2013's elections are attacks on social media accounts of people and outlets considered to be chavista.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
The voting machines emit paper trails and witnesses are allowed to keep copies of these. If you have good enough coverage of witnesses, at this time you can have a pretty good idea of the overall results.

Again, pretty much every single poll gave the opposition a healthy advantage. It's never been a matter of if, just by how much.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The MUD just said that as soon as they CNE makes the results official they'll launch into their press conference. They know the numbers, but the CNE is sitting on them.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
There is this 100/167 number being kicked around which is awkwardly below 60%.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The MUD is pretty fixed on a number, but until the CNE announces it it's all conjecture.

"The best electoral system in the world". It's 11:10 PM local time and no one has any idea when the CNE will feel like making the announcement official. Could be in three minutes, or it could be at 3:00 AM.

EDIT: Welp. Looks like it might be in three minutes (or sooner rather than later). The CNE rectors are moving.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Please hurry up, I've got a bottle of rum waiting either way.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

And here I was waiting for the usual 3AM stall: It's pretty much tradition in the last decade that the longer it takes the CNE to post the results, the more we know they weren't favorable to the Government...

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
99 MUD, 46 PSUV according to official results.

17 unnanounced results.

I'm betting most of the unannounced are MUD but they're trying to fix the results to prevent a supermajority.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Holy poo poo, I seriously expected them to try to do some sort of fraud. The MUD claims a 2/3rd majority with the tallies in their hands, it's a matter of time until the rest of the seats come in and we know for sure (even if we don't, with only two more seats we get 3/5ths, a major blow).

Holy gently caress. If you'll excuse me, I'll be busy getting shitfaced until tomorrow in celebration.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 7, 2015

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Also really marks the death of left worldwide now. Every single bastion of left power left in the world is in complete route. From Argentine Kirchner, to Hollande France, Venezuela now. Peru will probably be next to go.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There are 19 undecided seats (17 + 2 that are another kind of seat - I'm not sure how to say it in English, but the number is definitely 19).

The MUD is projecting that they'll pick up 14 of the undecided seats, which - if true - would give them a 2/3 majority.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Well, everybody is going all-out with the fireworks and celebratory pot-banging here in Valencia...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Whoop whoop we did it

Get hosed Maduro get hosed Diosdado their days are numbered

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
If you're still up, Maduro is giving the sorriest, most disjointed concession speech in the history humanity. He said "the economic war has won".

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009

Chuck Boone posted:

If you're still up, Maduro is giving the sorriest, most disjointed concession speech in the history humanity. He said "the economic war has won".

Link please.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Here you go: http://www.vtv.gob.ve/en-vivo

The MUD is going to fight hard for those 19 seats (this number is actually 22 when you add the indigenous seats, I think). If they can get the 2/3 majority, they will be able to do essentially anything they want.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 7, 2015

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
The word is that the government is trying to negotiate hard for those last seats, it's not a coincidence the first bulletin placed the MUD right below a 3/5th majority. The government top guys are essentially fighting for their survival at the moment because someone is going to get thrown to the dogs.

The MUD however, doesn't seem willing to negotiate their victory. During their victory speech the secretary of the coalition basically said the final results would not get better for the government and they all know it.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Why would MUD negotiate ?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Lucena said that they had something like +96% of polls reporting in, but they somehow had 19 districts up for grabs. It doesn't make any sense.

The MUD's final result is 113-54. I hope they do push for that.

If Maduro had a single cell of integrity he would resign. He sank the PSUV and burned Chavez's legacy to the ground in less than three years. Nevermind the fact that he also drove the country off a cliff and has caused so much suffering for so man

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

CalmDownMate posted:

Why would MUD negotiate ?

The new assembly wouldn't be sworn in until January 5th. The PSUV still has a window of time to make a mess before that happens.

Anyway, that's just the rumor mill talking. Hopefully, they won't even consider such a thing and we'll finally have a clear, undeniable victory.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well I can't say I'm too surprised as the actual voting count process wasn't what the PSUV hosed with, they hosed with literally everything else that involves the electoral process.

CalmDownMate posted:

Also really marks the death of left worldwide now. Every single bastion of left power left in the world is in complete route. From Argentine Kirchner, to Hollande France, Venezuela now. Peru will probably be next to go.

Hardly. North America and various Latin American and European countries are still moving leftward. Things tend to go in cycles as the pendulum swings.

Chuck Boone posted:

Lucena said that they had something like +96% of polls reporting in, but they somehow had 19 districts up for grabs. It doesn't make any sense.

The MUD's final result is 113-54. I hope they do push for that.

If Maduro had a single cell of integrity he would resign. He sank the PSUV and burned Chavez's legacy to the ground in less than three years. Nevermind the fact that he also drove the country off a cliff and has caused so much suffering for so man

I wonder how things would be if Chavez would not have died. I assume very similar?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hardly. North America and various Latin American and European countries are still moving leftward. Things tend to go in cycles as the pendulum swings.

Please tell me which are the European countries that are actually moving leftward? :allears:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Europe seems for the most part going far-right, and I don't think North America is really going leftward either, maybe more to the center in certain ways.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ardennes posted:

I don't think North America is really going leftward either, maybe more to the center in certain ways.

That would still be moving leftward.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
There is not a single country on earth that is moving leftwards except maybe Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Diosdado's face during Maduro's speech :)