Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Windows phone does relatively poorly in North America compared to the rest of the world though. The 930 (and the 920 before it) were actually quite popular in Australia (relatively speaking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Edward IV posted:

I'm surprised that the 930 outnumbers the 950XL (the RM-1116_15357) and the 950 isn't there at all. I assumed that the 930 wouldn't be as popular as the 920 and 1520 since the 930 (excluding the Icon) was never available from an American carrier and the International models that were sold here had limited 3G/4G coverage and no LTE support. It's why I never got it. Go figure.

The 950 (RM-1105_12716) is 7th right now, above the Icon (which is specifically the Verizon branded one, not the unlocked one). Also remember that we're talking about Goons here. But to Lord Bude's point...

We are still talking Goons, so US is going to be higher, but other countries are represented here. Looking at the stats for my PlayStation app, while America is on top there too, France is a really close second.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Go person from Brasil with 120 sessions.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

The 950 (RM-1105_12716) is 7th right now, above the Icon (which is specifically the Verizon branded one, not the unlocked one). Also remember that we're talking about Goons here. But to Lord Bude's point...

What is a session? I figure I launch your app on my 640 about 4 times a day. Was doing the same for many months too on my 635 running the 8.1 version. Does each individual launch count as a session?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

We are still talking Goons, so US is going to be higher, but other countries are represented here. Looking at the stats for my PlayStation app, while America is on top there too, France is a really close second.

I need to session your app more often. I'm not on the list. :(
Oh wait, it probably counts the country your phone is set at. In which case I'm happy to say that I'm part of the UK.

Try Hard Pill
Oct 19, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Go person from Brasil with 120 sessions.

Well, at least I have to try being on top of a chart of something. :suicide:

Guess I'm the only goon in brazil who's got a WP.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not on that list (if that shows Win10 app only) because I rolled back to 8.1 since there was a few things that weren't polished enough yet like outlook refusing to show my outlook inbox but forcing me to see gmail's one since I use google contacts.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Icon user checking in. :thumbsup:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

What is a session? I figure I launch your app on my 640 about 4 times a day. Was doing the same for many months too on my 635 running the 8.1 version. Does each individual launch count as a session?

A session is when a user enters and then leaves an app. So if you open Awful, use it, then quit. That's a session. It's not exact, since as far as I can tell "exit" means "force quit app". So if you leave the app open and it gets hibernated, then that's not "leaving" unless it's fully unloaded (meaning you're using other apps and have not popped back into Awful after some time). Also if you turn off your phone, it won't count it as a session. Crashes don't count as sessions either I think, since they are grouped in with crashes.

The key thing to take away from these stats, and the other apps I have on the store, is just how much engagement phone users have verses desktop and tablet. More people are getting my apps through the store on phones, and those users use them more than the desktop and tablet ones. It's gotten better since the launch of Windows 10, but Microsoft really needs to get more people to actually open up the store if they except devs to make desktop (and by extension, phone) apps for them.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
How many Surface (not pro) 3 users do you see in the uk?

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

The key thing to take away from these stats, and the other apps I have on the store, is just how much engagement phone users have verses desktop and tablet.

Yeah. Why would I use your app on the desktop? The SA website seems fine, and is actually *more* functional than your app because I can ctrl+tap to open threads in new tabs. Also with the website I have a better mental model for how responsive it is, and what network traffic it's doing and why. For instance, on the app I don't actually know whether it really updates the bookmark-threadlist in the background, I don't know when it last updated. On the phone when I check for new posts in the threadlists then it prevents me from tapping or reading any of the existing threads, while on the website I can use ctrl+click to do that happily.

In general, whenever I have a viable choice between functional-enough-website and app, I always prefer the website. I think there's a long road of "network responsiveness usability" experience that has gone into web-browsers that generally hasn't made its way into apps.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

People use apps on phones because it converts a website into a format optimized for the small screen. No moderately sane person would be using an app on a desktop/laptop vs just opening their web browser, and even on a tablet, the screen is large enough that just using a web browser is better 90% of the time. Even on a phone with a larger screen, plenty of websites are really good about having small screen friendly layouts now. SA is one of only 2 websites I use a mobile app for on my phone, (my bank is the other) because the forums are an antiquated clusterfuck of website design that is awkward to use (and on windows phone the browser can't render them properly, so you have giant font for quotes, and teeny tiny text for the rest of a person's posts).

The whole concept of the windows 10 store is basically nonsense from a non mobile device perspective. Unless big boy programs like office start being sold from within the store, and/or it becomes a viable alternative to something like steam it's only ever going to be a weird, out of place intrusion of mobile stuff on a platform where nobody wants it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

This app crashes on my Icon every time I receive an email. In particular, when the Inbox live tile updates the unread counter.

Also, I've used both Awful apps on the desktop and on my Windows tablet. It's okay for the former, particularly of I want to check threads quickly without opening a lot of tabs. It's better on the tablet, of course, and isn't as much a resource hog as Firefox.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Apparently wp10 got an update at the same time as w10 yesterday. Which is nice.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
There's still some time until the end of the year! Don't lose hope ladies and gents!

quote:

IDC predicts Android will have 43.8 percent of the market in 2015, followed by Windows Phone at 20.3 percent. Apple's iOS will trail at 16.9 percent. The future projections would be a significant improvement for Windows Phone, which will account for just 3.8 percent of the market by the end of this year, according to IDC's figures.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/230151/idc_windows_phones_to_overtake_iphone_ios_by_2015.html

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Sri.Theo posted:

Apparently wp10 got an update at the same time as w10 yesterday. Which is nice.
Is it out yet? I'm still on the 10586 build. Oh and I did end up getting the 640. It is quite a nice little upgrade over the 635!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
What's the actual limitation of the 640 having only 8GB of storage space, assuming I put in an SD card for music and pictures and stuff? Could I load HERE Maps (if it doesn't come on the device already) and Pandora on there okay? Only two apps I really use, even on Android.

Some financial hardship has happened and I'm planning to sell my current LG G4 for a 640, just wanting to ask here first if only 8GB is as big a deal on WP as it is on Android.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

Daily Forecast posted:

What's the actual limitation of the 640 having only 8GB of storage space, assuming I put in an SD card for music and pictures and stuff? Could I load HERE Maps (if it doesn't come on the device already) and Pandora on there okay? Only two apps I really use, even on Android.

Some financial hardship has happened and I'm planning to sell my current LG G4 for a 640, just wanting to ask here first if only 8GB is as big a deal on WP as it is on Android.
If you put an SD card in there you'll be fine. With just about everything I use loaded I'm at 4.75 gb out of 7.28gb. I got a 120 gb SD card from best buy on black Friday for under $40 so I'm set. I use HERE maps and Spotify but I don't have HERE loaded yet.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bushes posted:

If you put an SD card in there you'll be fine. With just about everything I use loaded I'm at 4.75 gb out of 7.28gb. I got a 120 gb SD card from best buy on black Friday for under $40 so I'm set. I use HERE maps and Spotify but I don't have HERE loaded yet.

Sounds good. Maybe I'm stupid but I really feel like continuum is a cool idea that might be worth something in a few years so I might just stick with WP after this. Gettin' kinda tired of Android's poo poo and lmao, iphones

I use GPS a lot for work so as long as I can do that pretty well along with calling, texts, and browsing, I'm good. I understand the 640 has pretty good battery life?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

According to an article I just read, windows phone has 6.5% market share in Australia - that makes us what - double the US market share?

I'll be interested to see how that changes - the 920 had a fairly huge marketing push, it was very successful. I don't think the 930 was pushed nearly as hard, and most 920 owners would be itching to move on by now if they haven't already.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

windows phone has 6.5% market share in Australia
the 920 had a fairly huge marketing push, it was very successful.

:confused: What's the margin of error on market share estimates? What was WP's market share before this wildly successful 920-related advertising?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

:confused: What's the margin of error on market share estimates? What was WP's market share before this wildly successful 920-related advertising?

Probably close to zero. I never saw it advertised, and I scarcely saw them in stores. It was the Nokia name that made all the difference.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Zune Xbox Groove Music passes (digital codes) are being sold with $50 code on the MS Store today. Effectively $50 for the pass.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

950 arrived, I am very pleased with it so far. More so than I expected, I may have old-timey standards, but it doesn't feel cheap in any way the reviews suggested (I am considering a MOZO back anyway though, leather is pretty nice). I find the touch a bit more finnicky/jittery than on my 920, but I suspect this is a WP10 regression that may yet get improved with patches.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Chasiubao posted:

Zune Xbox Groove Music passes (digital codes) are being sold with $50 code on the MS Store today. Effectively $50 for the pass.

Watch out on this ... The code has to be redeemed by the end of Jan, and you have to spend it all 90 days after activating it. I'm jumping on this, because I was about to spend a ton on educational apps anyway, but be wary that you can't sit on this $50 for too long.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

General E posted:

Watch out on this ... The code has to be redeemed by the end of Jan, and you have to spend it all 90 days after activating it. I'm jumping on this, because I was about to spend a ton on educational apps anyway, but be wary that you can't sit on this $50 for too long.

The code is good for any MS storefront though. I'll spend it on Just Cause 3 or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chasiubao posted:

The code is good for any MS storefront though. I'll spend it on Just Cause 3 or something.

Yeah, unified storefront is nice, I'm a lot more likely to spend $50 on Xbox games than anything on the windows store.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

My Lumia Icon has recently started waking up slowly. The best I can describe is that, when the phone is already turned on, the screen brightens very, very slowly when I press the power button. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the result of a recent patch, or am I the victim of some horrible impending screen death?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I had an update alert that said "introducing Gears, a new way to control". But when I restarted it was gone, has anybody seen anything about that?

On WP 8.1.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sri.Theo posted:

I had an update alert that said "introducing Gears, a new way to control". But when I restarted it was gone, has anybody seen anything about that?

On WP 8.1.

Do you mean Gadgets? Should be in the apps list.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you mean Gadgets? Should be in the apps list.

That's the one! I wonder what things it can control, doesn't seem to be much info in the app.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Big dumb idiot me went and bought an unlocked Lumia 950 from the Microsoft Store for Tmobile.

Screen is really nice
The plastic back creaks slightly and kind of feels cheap.
Battery seems OK, I'm draining about 20% in one hour with the screen on at 50% brightness. Seems low for a phone with a 3,000 mah battery. There was a phone update which seems to improved the phone battery while idiling.
The iris scanner is cool but not really useful (fails 30% of the time and no quicker than entering a PIN)
Camera is great
Performance seems good, but the phone gets warm. Edge browser makes this thing run hot.
No wifi calling
No visual voicemail (what the hell)
Settings app crashes 40% of the time
Quick charging is nice, but drat the USB type C is a pain in the rear end since its not yet really prevalent.

Nice phone, hard to justify the $450 premium over a 640. Poor battery life may make me want to return this thing. Especially when I can probably get an awesome phone (xperia z5 or even an iphone 6) for $550.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I wonder if this means I won't have to turn the bluetooth off and on a few times so my car and phone are on the same loving page. I miss my 900 because it worked flawlessly. Sigh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zarfol posted:

The iris scanner is cool but not really useful (fails 30% of the time and no quicker than entering a PIN)

This really pisses me off with Microsoft. Instead of just putting a fingerprint scanner in there which would be much faster and more reliable, they force in something that's clearly not ready.

Same thing with the Kinect. That piece of crap ignores me 50% of the time and when it does pick me up it usually gets my commands wrong or doesn't execute them.

The hand gestures on it are even worse.

This is the company that spent $100m developing a new controller that ended up only slightly different than the Xbox 360 one.

I hope people get sacked over these types of things.

Rant over.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Xbone controller is a great improvement over the 360 one and is still miles ahead from from the PS3/4 when it comes to durability. And yes, I own 360, One and PS4 controllers right now.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Zarfol posted:

The worst part for me is that the iris scanner doesn't currently differentiate between having the wrong eyes in front of the screen and having no eyes in front of the screen. I find myself getting constantly locked out of Windows Hello because of all the failed authentications I can rack up throughout the day unless I'm repeatedly unlocking my phone even though I don't need to use it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just got a 950 and the software is unforgivably buggy. I've been trying to associate my Microsoft account with this thing for hours, but most of the buttons on the Accounts and Settings screen either don't register, or the entire Settings app just loads a blank screen. This is the biggest bunch of bullshit.

Edit: in the You Email and Accounts page (again, when it chooses to load), I have three options.

1) "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead." This option for some reason prompts me to search for an app in the store, when I click Yes, it brings me to a blank page that is *maybe* the new store? Except the only things on the page are a hamburger menu, the word home, and a search button

2) Add an account". This button does nothing

3) "Add a work or school account". This button does nothing.

This is utterly pathetic.

edit2: Also hitting the back button from that screen gives me 30 seconds of "Resuming...". How on earth was this RTM?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I just got a 950 and the software is unforgivably buggy. I've been trying to associate my Microsoft account with this thing for hours, but most of the buttons on the Accounts and Settings screen either don't register, or the entire Settings app just loads a blank screen. This is the biggest bunch of bullshit.

Edit: in the You Email and Accounts page (again, when it chooses to load), I have three options.

1) "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead." This option for some reason prompts me to search for an app in the store, when I click Yes, it brings me to a blank page that is *maybe* the new store? Except the only things on the page are a hamburger menu, the word home, and a search button

edit2: Also hitting the back button from that screen gives me 30 seconds of "Resuming...". How on earth was this RTM?

Skip all that stuff if possible and right away go to the system update (to get xxxxx.29). If there's no update, do a factory reset from the about screen and do the update ASAP. Seemed to have fixed a lot of problems for me (for some reason if you don't do a factory reset you may not get the update).

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

That sounds like a bad install. I'd do a factory reset or take the phone back for a not defective one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, that sounds really broken, that went just fine for me. Reset and try again, and take it back if it still doesn't work.