Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'd be up for a NA Star Wars game over voice. It's what my main group does right now as we all live in different cities/provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Drone posted:

I could see it working if 1.) it was made clear from the get-go that players apply with the knowledge that they're expected to commit heavily to the RP and 2.) if the party size was kept smallish (3-4 PCs tops). It is a huge time commitment though... I knew it going in, but even I wasn't really prepared for the amount of time commitment that running a PbP narrative-heavy game would entail when I tried to do my Yuuzhan Vong reboot game (in hindsight, a really ambitious project for someone who'd never GM'd before).

It's still an idea that I really, really want to revisit, but being able to commit those chunks of time on such a frequent basis isn't really realistic. :smith:

Edit: however, a live game seems like it would be much better, though would naturally be lighter on the RP than a PbP could be. @nothingtoseehere/ShineDog/any other Euros, would there be any interest in trying to snowball up an EU-friendly Roll20/Skype game?

For reals I'd be dead interested, also I'm euro-zone, wanna star some wars.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I haven't actually played it but I've got access to a couple of the books and I want to learn it and I'm reasonably veteran at RP, so yeah, EU game, get it goin.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

nothing to seehere posted:

This is why Roll20 works great. A Maptool with built-in voice makes for a good communcation between players.

I wish I could convince my group to switch over to something like this instead of IRC. Unfortunately one player is really opposed to the idea for unspecified reasons and I'd rather not see him kicked to the curb.

Rebels has me itching to play some Edge of the Empire lately. Maybe I could at least convince them to switch games (kinda getting tired of our current one after most of a year).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Fwiw I've been interested in trying the FFG Star Wars RPGs for a little while now but a highly irregular work schedule means that I'm not really able to commit to any sort of realtime game with any regularity.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Is there a good time/day for a North American R20 group? I work and commute like your average middle-aged married American cubicle jockey, so expected restrictions would apply .

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I run a game at 7 PM central every Sunday. Thats not too bad of a time.

I say run a game, but I've been out the past few weeks, and the holidays will probably screw us up again, but whatever. We played tonight, thats all that matters.

Thread here. If you want to look in and see about joining we have room for a few more, maybe. We're a pretty eclectic group though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Blooming Brilliant posted:

For reals I'd be dead interested, also I'm euro-zone, wanna star some wars.

ShineDog posted:

I haven't actually played it but I've got access to a couple of the books and I want to learn it and I'm reasonably veteran at RP, so yeah, EU game, get it goin.

Anyone else? Weekends are really the only time I could do it, so I'd probably say sometime around 5 or 6 PM on Sundays would be best for me, how does that hash with you all?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

I run a game at 7 PM central every Sunday. Thats not too bad of a time.

I say run a game, but I've been out the past few weeks, and the holidays will probably screw us up again, but whatever. We played tonight, thats all that matters.

Thread here. If you want to look in and see about joining we have room for a few more, maybe. We're a pretty eclectic group though.

Interesting; I couldn't do every Sunday, but would love to play every now and then. Would you want me to submit a new character or something, or take over an old one? And should I post in the thread, or do PMs or something? I've got an idea for a fun ex-Imperial that joined up with the Rebels.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah we have a couple that don't show up every week, so thats not a big deal. If you want, go ahead and post in the thread. You're choice on characters, you just have to write yourself into the game.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Drone posted:

Anyone else? Weekends are really the only time I could do it, so I'd probably say sometime around 5 or 6 PM on Sundays would be best for me, how does that hash with you all?

5/6 PM sundays GMT sounds great to me, but I couldn't do later on. Maybe a weekday night?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 7, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's not super great for me, tbh. I'll see what I can do, but I'd be better off during the week sometime. If it was Sunday it might need to be a little later. 7-8?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
I'll chime in and show interest in the EU game since I work nights here in the states. Better for me to play in Europe time anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So, I've been playing the Seeker/Hunter I mentioned a while back and whilst she's terrible at basically everything (apart from flying), combat is hilarious because I just get to throw dice at an opponent until they die in a hail of blaster fire.

My initial build put me at 4 agility and I just picked up the Force talent that lets me pool my rating to increase it to 5. Were I to get Dedication from the bottom of the tree and increase agility to 5 and another rank of Force rating would I be able to have an effective 7 agility? 5 from my base and 2 from my Force powers, or is 6 a hard cap?

Second question would be, what should I aim to do with the cash I get? I'm currently using standard blasters and heavy clothing as armour, but I've no idea what I might actually want to buy.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

6 is a hard cap, and weapon mods+ some armour is a good shout to spend money on. Look in Dangerous Covernents it has alot of weapons/armour to buy.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’m looking at running a game on Roll20 on alternate Friday nights US time (or Saturday mornings Australian time) and I have room for another player or two. PM me if interested.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How would we contact if we didn't have PMs?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Numbers.

I always had the impression, as a kid, that the Jedi were a relatively small elite guard. Obi-Wan never explained how they lost, so I figured they were probably outnumbered. Neither Obi-Wan nor Yoda did anything in the original movie that made me think he would deflect dozens of blaster bolts coming at him at once.

Luke deflects 3 blaster bolts in, like, one second on his first day of training, and Yoda can take a peek into the future at will. Jedi deflect what shots they can and peek into the future to avoid big numbers of gunhavers, using original-trilogy-only powers.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

homullus posted:

Luke deflects 3 blaster bolts in, like, one second on his first day of training, and Yoda can take a peek into the future at will. Jedi deflect what shots they can and peek into the future to avoid big numbers of gunhavers, using original-trilogy-only powers.

Luke can deflect single shots coming from a single source. Yoda is more than 900 years old and established as being an incredibly wise and powerful master. At best, he can have glimpses of the futur that seems to be limited to "You will suffer". Not exactly accurate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Iceclaw posted:

Luke can deflect single shots coming from a single source.
Which is a little practice gadget and not Han Solo or Boba Fett, by the way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Which is a little practice gadget and not Han Solo or Boba Fett, by the way.

Iceclaw posted:

Luke can deflect single shots coming from a single source. Yoda is more than 900 years old and established as being an incredibly wise and powerful master. At best, he can have glimpses of the future that seems to be limited to "You will suffer". Not exactly accurate.

I think you're both missing the point. Luke isn't even a Padawan and he deflects 3 in a second from a single source. Yoda is just one wise and powerful master, originally one of many. All we have is Luke's clear-ish Padawan meditation vision of his friends hurting and Yoda's one no-meditation vision -- there is no "at best" or ability to judge how accurate Yoda would be if he tried for more than two seconds. By that scene in the original trilogy, 100% of the galaxy's Jedi can see the future in limited ways. How many Jedi do you think there were in the pre-Empire galaxy? 1000? 10,000? If you have an organization that large with limited mind control, superhuman leaping, telekinesis, and limited prescience, they're going to be hard to take down if they're coordinating and know you're coming, no matter how many gunhavers you send. The Rebels are coordinated and dodged the Empire with no Jedi at all. This is why "welp he hunted them down I guess and killed them with lots of gunhavers" is dumber than what the prequels did, which is take the Jedi out with something they weren't actively looking for and that killed them near-simultaneously, preventing them from coordinating.

I am sure some Jedi would get killed by gunhavers. I lack your confidence that masses of gunhavers could take out the entire trained order of Jedi and Jedi masters if the latter have a chance to coordinate and/or avoid pitched battles, since they couldn't even take out the Rebellion. Order 66 was a very elegant solution to the problem of a small army of Batmans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Heh, heh. Gunhaver. Heh.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Does Force and Destiny have any support for making my KOTOR 2 protagonist, aka dual wielding pistol jedi?

I enjoyed running around gunning down sith way too much in that game, between the precision feats and the awesome gun mods.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Drone posted:

PM me about it but I get home from work around 6 PM GMT on a Sunday, can do a bit later round 8-ish.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Does Force and Destiny have any support for making my KOTOR 2 protagonist, aka dual wielding pistol jedi?

I enjoyed running around gunning down sith way too much in that game, between the precision feats and the awesome gun mods.

You definitely are not required to run around with a lightsaber, but your best option to get extra talents related to shooting guys is to start with (or add later) one or more specializations that give gun-related talents, which will not be in F&D.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

homullus posted:

I think you're both missing the point. Luke isn't even a Padawan and he deflects 3 in a second from a single source. Yoda is just one wise and powerful master, originally one of many. All we have is Luke's clear-ish Padawan meditation vision of his friends hurting and Yoda's one no-meditation vision -- there is no "at best" or ability to judge how accurate Yoda would be if he tried for more than two seconds. By that scene in the original trilogy, 100% of the galaxy's Jedi can see the future in limited ways. How many Jedi do you think there were in the pre-Empire galaxy? 1000? 10,000? If you have an organization that large with limited mind control, superhuman leaping, telekinesis, and limited prescience, they're going to be hard to take down if they're coordinating and know you're coming, no matter how many gunhavers you send. The Rebels are coordinated and dodged the Empire with no Jedi at all. This is why "welp he hunted them down I guess and killed them with lots of gunhavers" is dumber than what the prequels did, which is take the Jedi out with something they weren't actively looking for and that killed them near-simultaneously, preventing them from coordinating.

I am sure some Jedi would get killed by gunhavers. I lack your confidence that masses of gunhavers could take out the entire trained order of Jedi and Jedi masters if the latter have a chance to coordinate and/or avoid pitched battles, since they couldn't even take out the Rebellion. Order 66 was a very elegant solution to the problem of a small army of Batmans.

Oh, I agree about order 66 being a good plot point, fitting with the nature of Sidious and his goal of thoroughly crushing the Order forever, but take a look at episode 2 to see exemple of a pitched battle between jedi and other and the Jedi sustain loads of casualties.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Most Jedi during the prequel trilogy were not Mighty Warriors, but politicos and negotiators with mild magic powers. Dudes like the majority of the High Council, Anakin, and Obi-Wan vastly outclass your "average" jedi I imagine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Most Jedi during the prequel trilogy were not Mighty Warriors, but politicos and negotiators with mild magic powers. Dudes like the majority of the High Council, Anakin, and Obi-Wan vastly outclass your "average" jedi I imagine.

Yeah, I always took it that the "Guardian" archetype of Jedi was definitely in the minority. Most Jedi were archivists (Jocasta Nu), investigators working with the Justicars / independently, watchmen taking silent stewardship over far-flung or underdeveloped worlds, working in medicine, working directly in aid efforts, doing politics, working in the AgriCorps, etc.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

KittyEmpress posted:

I literally did this about a week ago. Human, Hunter, Seeker taking light ranged weapons out of human to make it work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

homullus posted:

Okay, being serious instead of flip:

1. I don't actually think Order 66 is bad, although it's not necessary. What was bad was the whole plot regarding how the Republic got the clone army in the first place. Where Palpatine ordered a clone army under another Jedi master's name and everyone just shrugged their shoulders at the fait accompli of Palpatine instantly having a huge, incredibly shady army to go with his new status as dictator.

2. If you play "but how good could Yoda be?" you can just as easily play "How good were the rest of the Jedi, really?" How many were there and how good were they? Based on the original trilogy, who knows? Luke is a prodigy, like his father, and he does pretty good at a training exercise with a little zapper thing. It's a little zapper thing, not a soldier with a gun. It zaps him, and he doesn't fall down in a Wilhelm scream and a shower of sparks.

3. The Rebellion is big enough to have ships, hangars, intelligence ops and a clear formal command structure. It also has one goal: take down the Empire. Even if Jedi prescience made the Jedi a strategically brilliant organization (which would help explain how a monastic military order defended a huge ancient republic by the way) they probably didn't leave the civilian population to fend for themselves while waging guerilla warfare.

Just to be clear about what I'm arguing: I'm arguing that based on the original trilogy alone, you could interpret the Jedi as having been nigh-unstoppable. (Based on what Obi-Wan said, Vader's treachery was necessary to seal the deal.) You could just as easily, probably more easily, say they were a small elite force defeated by a huge overwhelming force. So it's not out of step with the original trilogy to design a game where Jedi are balanced against bounty hunters and gunslinging smugglers.

Now why am I arguing about Star Wars with someone who isn't my wife?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

homullus posted:

We saw the result of massed blasters vs. Jedi masters on Geonosis. The Jedi lost, and had to be saved by the "gunhavers" on their side.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
If the Jedi acted as a modern insurgency does, they would be absolutely terrifying to deal with.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Madurai posted:

We saw the result of massed blasters vs. Jedi masters on Geonosis. The Jedi lost, and had to be saved by the "gunhavers" on their side.

I am not saying the Jedi can/should beat massed blasters. I am saying they can deflect many -- note that original trilogy Luke also deflects real blaster fire rapidly in the sail barge fight -- and (with their intelligence, coordination, and literal prescience) just avoid the "too many blasters" of Geonosis-like scenarios. We're talking about this because I don't agree with Kai Tave's suggestion that George Lucas made a hash of the Jedi by giving them flaws. Lucas had to Iron Chef something that gets him to the point of Episode IV, and the ingredients are:

- there used to be more Jedi
- "Clone Wars" of some kind
- there is no army of Jedi-equivalent bad guys who could have hunted them down (Vader's "sorcerer's ways" and Obi-Wan's "hokey religion" mean there aren't lots of either)
- Jedi can deflect blaster bolts, have telekinesis, can see the future in limited ways, can influence weak minds, can shoot lightning (maybe), and can super flip and jump
- Darth Vader both "betrayed and murdered" Luke's dad, and is his dad
- there was a Senate, and an Emperor takes power, leaving the Senate intact for decades

I don't see how you have Anakin "betray" Luke's father and the Jedi without giving flaws to both Anakin and the Jedi. Anakin needs to have been a good guy at some point to be "a good friend" and for the shift to be considered a betrayal, and Obi-Wan and the Jedi need to be blind or somehow unable to repair their relationship -- something needs to keep them from doing that, and inflexibility is a good candidate given the ossified Republic. I don't think having the Jedi propping up an inadequate status quo in the Republic was the only way he could have gone, but I also think the way he went with it was one of the most economical in terms of the ingredients he had.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

homullus posted:

I am not saying the Jedi can/should beat massed blasters. I am saying they can deflect many -- note that original trilogy Luke also deflects real blaster fire rapidly in the sail barge fight -- and (with their intelligence, coordination, and literal prescience) just avoid the "too many blasters" of Geonosis-like scenarios. We're talking about this because I don't agree with Kai Tave's suggestion that George Lucas made a hash of the Jedi by giving them flaws. Lucas had to Iron Chef something that gets him to the point of Episode IV, and the ingredients are:

- there used to be more Jedi
- "Clone Wars" of some kind
- there is no army of Jedi-equivalent bad guys who could have hunted them down (Vader's "sorcerer's ways" and Obi-Wan's "hokey religion" mean there aren't lots of either)
- Jedi can deflect blaster bolts, have telekinesis, can see the future in limited ways, can influence weak minds, can shoot lightning (maybe), and can super flip and jump
- Darth Vader both "betrayed and murdered" Luke's dad, and is his dad
- there was a Senate, and an Emperor takes power, leaving the Senate intact for decades

I don't see how you have Anakin "betray" Luke's father and the Jedi without giving flaws to both Anakin and the Jedi. Anakin needs to have been a good guy at some point to be "a good friend" and for the shift to be considered a betrayal, and Obi-Wan and the Jedi need to be blind or somehow unable to repair their relationship -- something needs to keep them from doing that, and inflexibility is a good candidate given the ossified Republic. I don't think having the Jedi propping up an inadequate status quo in the Republic was the only way he could have gone, but I also think the way he went with it was one of the most economical in terms of the ingredients he had.

Yeah, I think the overall arc of the prequels is fine: Old Republic is corrupt and ossified, devastating (possibly civil) war happens, Emperor seizes power and crushes opposition with help of disgruntled ex-Jedi. A nice dark space-fantasy twist on the transition of the Roman Republic to the Dominate. It's the details that are lovely: Anakin has bad dreams and rejects everything he's ever stood for to save his wife from a hypothetical threat? What about he wants more power to fight the war he's in, or he starts to think the ends justify the means? A clone army appears out of nowhere and everyone is ok with it? How about a clone army appears out of nowhere, causing a crisis and leading to people being drafted en masse to fight said army, causing untold grief throughout the galaxy?

All of our campaigns have so far been set in the era of the Original Trilogy and we've used a similarly modified background and it works great. It lets us use whatever droids/guns or whatever from the prequels, but gives a lot more character hooks. Makes the Clone Wars and the transition into the Empire feel bigger and like it effected everyone, not just the few elites who were involved in the actual movies.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

FishFood posted:

All of our campaigns have so far been set in the era of the Original Trilogy and we've used a similarly modified background and it works great. It lets us use whatever droids/guns or whatever from the prequels, but gives a lot more character hooks. Makes the Clone Wars and the transition into the Empire feel bigger and like it effected everyone, not just the few elites who were involved in the actual movies.

I actually reversed it and had it so the Republic used the droids until they proved too costly and lovely they were forced to use mass conscription to fight a massive clone army created by a another Emperor wannabe Sith who actively used the fact the people were disgusted by the Senate and wanted out.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

FishFood posted:

Yeah, I think the overall arc of the prequels is fine: Old Republic is corrupt and ossified, devastating (possibly civil) war happens, Emperor seizes power and crushes opposition with help of disgruntled ex-Jedi. A nice dark space-fantasy twist on the transition of the Roman Republic to the Dominate. It's the details that are lovely: Anakin has bad dreams and rejects everything he's ever stood for to save his wife from a hypothetical threat? What about he wants more power to fight the war he's in, or he starts to think the ends justify the means? A clone army appears out of nowhere and everyone is ok with it? How about a clone army appears out of nowhere, causing a crisis and leading to people being drafted en masse to fight said army, causing untold grief throughout the galaxy?

Anakin does get worked over by Sidious over that point. Especially considering how the last time he dreamt about a loved one dying, they did so.

Regarding the Clone Army, Palpatine pretty much left no choice to the Jedi: either they lead the army the Republic is going to use anyway, or they can stand aside and let the galaxy burn.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
My wife gave me permission to do RPGing on Fridays, so I'm trying to start up a Roll20 AoR/EotE game if anyone's interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755174

Pacific Standard time, after work, etc. Hope this sounds fun to people :) .

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Covok posted:

How would we contact if we didn't have PMs?

Send an email to echopapa41 at gmail dot com.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I've always had a big problem with how recent the Empire's uprising was and how Jedi were so prominent only a few decades ago. Which is why I'll run my campaign in a setting where the Empire has existed for centuries, as well as the Emperor, with the Clone Wars being something totally unrelated to how the Empire was formed. It puts the Old Republic and the Jedi Order in the very distant, mythical past, where it belongs in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

The Jedi number a few thousands at that point, spread over a galaxy. They are already fading into myth, not exactly prominent.