Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i love snakebird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jamfrost posted:

I did not realize Bethesda was so poor.

Only in creativity.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Fallout 4 could have been better if you supported the indie darling Bethesda Softworks and bought more copies of Skyrim

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any goon recommended must have Civ V mods these days?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ImpAtom posted:

"Some dudes in Poland" is a pretty disingenuous way to put that. They are a large company with a lot of employees and multiple sources of income, recieve tax breaks from the government, and Witcher 3 otherwise fits the 90% empty space to a T.

It's really tiring how people point to Witcher 3 as if it's the creation of some dudes in their garage and not a team literally larger than the teams who made Fallout 4 or Skyrim.

Mm hm. Square Enix has fifteen times the employees, operates on a nine-figure revenue flow, and has existed twice as long. So yes, in the comparison I'm drawing, CD Projekt are some dudes in Poland. They are very smart, very talented, and very successful dudes, but SE has resources they can only dream of.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Of course this thread will respond to "X isn't true" with "oh, so you're saying the completely unrelated opposite is true? Huh, huh?"

Like, it's okay not being the underdog in every situation. You can like things that are popular like The Witcher 3.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Can you play cards in FF7? No. You can in Witcher 3, and also FF8, which is why both of those games are superior to FF7.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
It's all fun and games until someone pre-orders.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zombie Samurai posted:

Mm hm. Square Enix has fifteen times the employees, operates on a nine-figure revenue flow, and has existed twice as long. So yes, in the comparison I'm drawing, CD Projekt are some dudes in Poland.

Also applicable to Bethesda.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shima Honnou posted:

Can you play cards in FF7? No. You can in Witcher 3, and also FF8, which is why both of those games are superior to FF7.

Shame FF8 wasn't as good, as I did like Triple Triad a lot, even more then Gwelt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Mm hm. Square Enix has fifteen times the employees, operates on a nine-figure revenue flow, and has existed twice as long. So yes, in the comparison I'm drawing, CD Projekt are some dudes in Poland. They are very smart, very talented, and very successful dudes, but SE has resources they can only dream of.

Okay? Literally nobody said "it isn't possible to do it." I said it was very expensive to do. Having more people doesn't make it less expensive. You still have to pay people to do work. The more resources you throw at something the more expensive it gets. Even if you assumed Square-Enix had infinite resources and developers and dedicated all of them entirely to Final Fantasy 7 Remastered that still doesn't change the fact that it costs money to invest those resources.

CDP wasn't 'some guys' when they made Witcher 3. They made it with a full large development team. Trying to go "they're some dudes in Poland" is pretty bullshit and you know it. They are not a group with no resources scavenging what they can. They are a legitimate large-scale development team. Witcher 3's development budget was over 80 million dollars. It was an expensive game to make.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 7, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zombie Samurai posted:

I think that's still kinda disingenuous, because by that logic Pokemon is made by "some guys in Japan" because Gen 1 was programmed by a dozen dudes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Witcher 3 is a very good game.

Hipsters vacate.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You Must Build A Boat would be way more fun if you didn't get runs that end in ten seconds half the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

You Must Build A Boat would be way more fun if you didn't get runs that end in ten seconds half the time.

I never had that happen on the mobile version at least. Is it just getting wrecked by the first enemy or something?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah I hate to throw this out there but that sounds like a player skill issue. I did not have this problem playing it to completion.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? Literally nobody said "it isn't possible to do it." I said it was very expensive to do. Having more people doesn't make it less expensive. You still have to pay people to do work. The more resources you throw at something the more expensive it gets. Even if you assumed Square-Enix had infinite resources and developers and dedicated all of them entirely to Final Fantasy 7 Remastered that still doesn't change the fact that it costs money to invest those resources.

My point is that if a smaller company with fewer resources didn't need to go the episodic route to produce the biggest and arguably most critically acclaimed RPG of the year, a much larger and more well-established company has no excuse doing that with an even higher-profile game. I mean, we're talking about a REMAKE for chrissake... they can fully dictate the scope of development.

Honestly it's probably all moot because the more I think about it, I bet they're going the FFXIII route as opposed to actual episodes.

ImpAtom posted:

CDP wasn't 'some guys' when they made Witcher 3. They made it with a full large development team. Trying to go "they're some dudes in Poland" is pretty bullshit and you know it. They are not a group with no resources scavenging what they can. They are a legitimate large-scale development team. Witcher 3's development budget was over 80 million dollars. It was an expensive game to make.

You're reading a lot more out of this than I intended, and I suppose that's my fault. Next time I'll just go straight to the numbers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

My point is that if a smaller company with fewer resources didn't need to go the episodic route to produce the biggest and arguably most critically acclaimed RPG of the year, a much larger and more well-established company has no excuse doing that with an even higher-profile game.

No, instead they went an incredibly expensive route and also supplemented the game with DLC that sells for an additional $25 on top of the price of the game. Most games nowadays supplement the actual cost of development in a variety of ways. The episodic thing is just one way that companies do it. (And it isn't even S-E's first attempt at it, see the new Hitman.)

None of this changes the point I made which was that it is expensive to do. Which it is.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I mean, we're talking about a REMAKE for chrissake... they can fully dictate the scope of development.

I really don't understand your point here at all. What does it being a remake have to do with anything? It is a remake being made literally from the group up with, at best, some script elements and character designs reused from the original release.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 7, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sleeveless posted:

The game by the Magicka devs that was just put on Steam was also published by Sony soooo....

Not all publishing deals are the same.

From the sour grapes in some interviews by thatgamecompany people shortly after the release of Journey, I think it's a safe guess that Sony has pretty much 100% ownership of that game. They signed a deal with Sony for 3 games that included a lot of money up front. If a publisher hands you more money to make a game, they want more control on the back end.

Arrowhead likely had different for Helldivers; it is totally possible that their deal had a timed PC release right in the contract.

None of this is to say that Journey won't happen on PC, just that the appearance of another Sony-published indie-developed title is not a real indicator.

Zombie Samurai posted:

My point is that if a smaller company with fewer resources didn't need to go the episodic route to produce the biggest and arguably most critically acclaimed RPG of the year, a much larger and more well-established company has no excuse doing that with an even higher-profile game. I mean, we're talking about a REMAKE for chrissake... they can fully dictate the scope of development.
Just because Squeenix can outspend CDProspelling 10:1 doesn't mean that they will outspend them or that it would be a good use of their money.

The dudes in Poland spend $30 million on their game (development only) and have a organization that is about 100 times more efficient with money than Squeenix. No way is Square spending that much on a remake of FF7. (Also you get a lot more bang for your zloty in poland than your yens in japan.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna be mad that EDF 4.1 is coming to PC, because my pre-ordered copy of the game on PS4 comes on Tuesday and I just put in my first PSN+ card today in preparation and I only really got the PS4 for EDF and Dragon Quest Heroes basically (which also just came out on PC of course) but I'm not gonna be mad because it's motherfucking EDF 4.1 on PC.

It would be really loving nice if they somehow had cloud saves and online servers shared between PS4 and PC but I'm sure that's dreaming too far.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Light Gun Man posted:

I wanna be mad that EDF 4.1 is coming to PC, because my pre-ordered copy of the game on PS4 comes on Tuesday and I just put in my first PSN+ card today in preparation and I only really got the PS4 for EDF and Dragon Quest Heroes basically (which also just came out on PC of course) but I'm not gonna be mad because it's motherfucking EDF 4.1 on PC.

It would be really loving nice if they somehow had cloud saves and online servers shared between PS4 and PC but I'm sure that's dreaming too far.

Wait whaaaaat? The newest EDF is coming to Steam?

and XRD?? I'm loving Urkelin out over heeeeeere

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 7, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So I'm reading the Japanese FF7 interview on Famitsu's website (here) and as far as I know there isn't a full English translation of it available yet so I'll tell you guys anything important that gets mentioned. Note that it's an abbreviated version, the full interview (8 pages long!) will be in Famitsu's magazine on December 17th according to their site. The interview is conducted with Yoshinori Kitase and Tetsuya Nomura.

Reasons for why it's going to be episodic is because they'd have to cut a lot of stuff if they wanted to make it feasibly into one title at the quality they are going for. They will cut some stuff from the original version and add other things for "a variety of reasons" but overall it should result in more game at a higher level of detail than the original.

Cloud crossdressing is confirmed!

Gameplay will have ATB, but it will be more action heavy than the original. It will be close to, but not quite as action heavy, as Dissidia Final Fantasy and the Kingdom Hearts series.

Battles will be fought with 3 party members who you can switch between if you want to, but you won't have to.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Ekster posted:

i'm sold.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I stuck with The Crew some more.

Apparently campaign missions just give you poo poo money, and online matches will give you 4~5x the amount. After a couple hours of multiplayer I had $200,000.

Queing up for matches while exploring around and doing random "skill missions" or whatever is a pretty fun loop.

I think I'm liking The Crew.

computer parts posted:

Bethesda is actually more of an indie dev than cd projekt

finding out that like a hundred people made Fallout 4 explains that game so much

and knowing that's a huge team in comparison to Bethesda's previous gen teams explain those games so much

seriously bethesda hire some more loving people

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 7, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you think "hire more people" will make you like Bethesda games, I'm sorry to tell you that Bethesda games are the way they are on purpose and it won't help you.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ekster posted:

So I'm reading the Japanese FF7 interview on Famitsu's website (here) and as far as I know there isn't a full English translation of it available yet so I'll tell you guys anything important that gets mentioned. Note that it's an abbreviated version, the full interview (8 pages long!) will be in Famitsu's magazine on December 17th according to their site. The interview is conducted with Yoshinori Kitase and Tetsuya Nomura.

Reasons for why it's going to be episodic is because they'd have to cut a lot of stuff if they wanted to make it feasibly into one title at the quality they are going for. They will cut some stuff from the original version and add other things for "a variety of reasons" but overall it should result in more game at a higher level of detail than the original.

Gameplay will have ATB, but it will be more action heavy than the original. It will be close to, but not quite as action heavy, as Dissidia Final Fantasy and the Kingdom Hearts series.

Battles will be fought with 3 party members who you can switch between if you want to, but you won't have to.

i hope they remove the chocobo race and the tower defence games

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
About The Witcher 3 and FFVII Remake, while the former is an amazing game with a huge world it could also reuse a ton of assets as there was no need to make every little peasant town or bandit camp look distinctly different. FFVII on the other hand is also a huge game but on top of that it had no two areas that looked alike anywhere in it, so if they want to at all faithfully recreate that game visually it's going to require a massive amount of work.

What I'm saying is that I don't think directly comparing those two games works for that reason (and many others) as they need to be approached so differently.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno how they did it, but Bethesda has somehow become immune to backlash against completely unnacceptable bugs in final releases. Bethesda games being glitched beyond all belief to the point where many people can't even play them or the game becomes unplayable for a multitude of reasons has become expected, and somehow that has become okay instead of ridiculous.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Grawl posted:

Come on, there has to be some recommendations. I've already decided on Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons.

Kinda late, but this game was one of the best local co-op experiences I've ever had. My sister was one brother on my controller and I was the other on the keyboard, it's a lot of fun how they make the two cooperate and how one brother can do things the other can't.

Only 2 things I would mention going in: 1. there are some puzzles that require both brothers to rotate at the same time, I could never get this to work on the keyboard so for those 3 or 4 puzzles just use the analog sticks on your controller, and 2. the younger brother gets a bit more playtime than the older, depending on how 'gamey' your coop buddy is you may want to take him for yourself, or the opposite, just FYI.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I dunno how they did it, but Bethesda has somehow become immune to backlash against completely unnacceptable bugs in final releases. Bethesda games being glitched beyond all belief to the point where many people can't even play them or the game becomes unplayable for a multitude of reasons has become expected, and somehow that has become okay instead of ridiculous.
And the ironic thing is people still give Obsidian poo poo for bugs, bugs they either weren't responsible for or fixed promptly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is our sacred charge as goons to defend and champion the scrappy Knights of Good developers who only get $100 million to make their video games, instead of the evil empire corporations that get $200 million.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just because stuff is in the database doesn't mean it's coming, we've been through this heartbreak before

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
cant wait for Te'st to come out

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

They made it their thing from day one. I mean Daggerfall was already being called Buggerfall:

quote:

• Sometimes if you create a custom character, the game starts you out with around -1000 hp. you have to rest for several weeks to get full hp sometimes, and one hit from a monster kills you (all versions).
  • Sometimes if you try to draw a weapon before it is equiped, your hand will be taken out and you can't use that weapon untill the game has been saved and reloaded several times (you may have to shut down your computer).
  • If you use a certain shirt twice, it will mess up the game by putting in green stripes on everything. you will have to save and reload the game a few times, you might have to shut down your computer.
  • Certain magical jewelry that you get in dungeons will turn into diffrent things when equipped (a bracer turned into some sort of moving blob) (DON'T CLICK INFO), latest version.
  • When you equip a bow, humanoid monsters that are generated suddenly also equip one, but worst of all their bow has the same characteristics as yours. So for example when you find or buy a "death bow" (bow with the death spell on it, having the ability to kill sometimes a monster with a single shot), monsters shooting arrows at you can kill you too with a single shot. That bug exists in all versions.
  • Jumping while running allows one to walk on water.
  • Jumping while quickly swinging a weapon allows one to fly upwards
:allears:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 7, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mutation posted:

finding out that like a hundred people made Fallout 4 explains that game so much

and knowing that's a huge team in comparison to Bethesda's previous gen teams explain those games so much

seriously bethesda hire some more loving people

They are fine with less people because they take 3 or 4 years between games. Fewer people and more time is more productive than the opposite.

More people and less time is how you end up with Ubisoft Open World GameTM three times a year in three different flavors of the same game.

CJacobs posted:

I dunno how they did it, but Bethesda has somehow become immune to backlash against completely unnacceptable bugs in final releases.
At one time it felt like they deserved a pass because they were making games that nobody else would match in scale or detail. I think that's fading a bit now because a) other people are matching them and b) they've been making the same drat game since the year 2000, come on guys you should have this down by now. I've seen a bit more backlash than previous games this time around anyways.

But OTOH the bar has been lowered. So Bethesda hasn't improved but there's permanently broken poo poo like Arkham Knight & AC Unity to compare it to, other launch fuckups like Just Cause 3, and even games like Witcher 3 that need the same 4 months of patches after release.

So these days it seems like as long as you fix your AAA game ... eventually ... you are forgiven.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mutation posted:

Actually most (non-ubisoft) games only have dev teams around a hundred people.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Grawl posted:

Come on, there has to be some recommendations. I've already decided on Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons.

Anything Lego is good, but I'm surprised you don't have Never Alone, which is probably the best game for what you've described.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually most (non-ubisoft) games only have dev teams around a hundred people.

There are 240 people at Telltale, somehow.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Snackula posted:

There are 240 people at Telltale, somehow.
The only way this makes sense to me is that they must have a lot more projects on the go than other developers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gorn Myson posted:

The only way this makes sense to me is that they must have a lot more projects on the go than other developers do.

Then again, with the number of titles they spit out every year, that part makes sense too.

• Locked thread