Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,what should my move be? Shoot the Marauder? Can't think of a good place to move,what with the water penalty and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If it weren't for the headcap, that DFA pratfall would've been the turn's highlight.

Witness Pooncha!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Not sure if you have the MP, but standing and moving up one hex to 1228 and facing 1328 might be good. Prevents backshots on you from the White Shadowhawk, and moves out of short Heavy PPC range from it.

You could fire like all 5 pulse lasers and one ERPPC at the Marauder via torso twisting. You'll get a little bonus heat sinking because you have two DHS in your legs, which is good since you're a prime target for the Warhammer's heat inducing plasma rifles.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Not sure if you have the MP, but standing and moving up one hex to 1228 and facing 1328 might be good. Prevents backshots on you from the White Shadowhawk, and moves out of short Heavy PPC range from it.

You could fire like all 5 pulse lasers and one ERPPC at the Marauder via torso twisting. You'll get a little bonus heat sinking because you have two DHS in your legs, which is good since you're a prime target for the Warhammer's heat inducing plasma rifles.

Movement's 4/6, if that helps.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

VolticSurge posted:

Movement's 4/6, if that helps.

It's mostly that I'm really fuzzy on costs of moving in water.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Also, do I have to declare standing up in my orders, or is that an automatic action? I assume it's the latter?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You have to say you attempt to stand, and what hex you face when you stand up. Or you can use careful stand, which is less risky, but it also takes all your MP (So you can stand, but you can't move anywhere).

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Ah,thanks. Alright, so I have an inkling of a plan,but I still don't wanna jump the gun until some of my teammates decide their moves.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

That round, is every round going to be like this? :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Back Hack posted:

Probably. There's a whole lot of firepower on the table and some completely ridiculous pilots out there.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

As it was explained to me: 1 hex 1 height change 1 'water tax' for 3 total (plus a facing change maybe), and you Must Walk when entering, but can run when leaving.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

Hopefully!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I think i'm going to hex 0927, leaving 1026 open for steiner and his assault mace.

Other Allies: If you're gonna go for it, say something so we don't cause a pileup.

Voltic, it takes you 2 MP to get up on 1329, 4 to 1328. That falls under the You Never Want To Walk 2 Hexes rule of thumb, so you probably want to run somewhere else from there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TheParadigm posted:

I think i'm going to hex 0927, leaving 1026 open for steiner and his assault mace.

Other Allies: If you're gonna go for it, say something so we don't cause a pileup.

Voltic, it takes you 2 MP to get up on 1329, 4 to 1328. That falls under the You Never Want To Walk 2 Hexes rule of thumb, so you probably want to run somewhere else from there.

He can't get 3 hexes this turn and is just gonna have to suck the +0 movement due to being down and in the water.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
As long as the BattleMaster is prone in Depth 1 it's untargetable, however, and it has partial cover if it stays partly submerged.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Can you explain your reasoning? Looking here..

The battlemaster got a free move into 1229 facing northeast. 1329 is 1 for the hex and 1 for the elevation change, because you only count water entering and he's leaving. 1 for the hex and 1 for the turn to 1328. Same math for 1227. That's run 6, 3 hexes movement.

I made use of the running OUT of water trick crossing 1037. Why wouldn't that apply here?

Are there arcane battletech rules taxing MP for displacements or falls, or something?

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

The battlemaster got a free move into 1229 facing northeast. 1329 is 1 for the hex and 1 for the elevation change, because you only count water entering and he's leaving. 1 for the hex and 1 for the turn to 1328. Same math for 1227. That's run 6, 3 hexes movement.

I made use of the running OUT of water trick crossing 1037. Why wouldn't that apply here?

Are there arcane battletech rules taxing MP for displacements or falls, or something?

Wolverine II

Is it because he has to stand up first?

I was thinking of 1026 but if that's better for the King Cobra then maybe 0928?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TheParadigm posted:

Battle master is prone and must stand for 2 mp.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Baudin posted:

Yea. Wow. I made a mistake when altering my orders to PTN, so no shots on the shadow hawk, any advice for this turn?

I'm bad at robots outside the video games, so nothing specific I can advise, but I've got some general advice that applies to everyone (though I assume this is the mistake you mentioned)

When shooting Aces, make sure you always add contingencies.
Just a simple 'if out of LOS/range, shoot this dude instead' and you'll have a fall-back for when some git in a polished Shadowhawk (read- turd) decides to jump behind cover instead of charging towards the fight, the coward. :argh:

Pooncha- most definitely not :mediocre: :patriot:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
My current plan is to pursue Lu Bu. :black101:

If I activate MASC I can run to 1026, then torso twist to target the Marauder's rear armour. Also, hit it with my big stick. It has flippy arms, so I'll take some fire, and the Whammy might decide to join in the fun, but I think the risk is worth it. I can also include contingency orders to whack the Whammy instead if the Marauder goes down before the melee phase.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Scintilla posted:

... It has flippy arms, so I'll take some fire, ...

I think you mean:

Scintilla posted:

... It has flippy arms, so I'll be utterly amazed when it opens fire at targets behind it ...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Witness!

What up, headcap buddy, You broke my 'getting headcapped' record by one turn!

:respek:

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
I realize Mad Max is FOTM but I'm gonna just say this reminds me of:

Also on the note of the loss of edge - methinks this might be the red corsair's last battle on the field at this rate.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

garland336 posted:

I realize Mad Max is FOTM but I'm gonna just say this reminds me of:

Also on the note of the loss of edge - methinks this might be the red corsair's last battle on the field at this rate.

Yeah, seems likely. But I plan on (hopefully) taking one with me or at least spit in their eye. Provided I don't get killed next turn. My current plan (I haven't sent it yet) is basically just trying to stand,can't do much else 'till I get outta the water. Unless staying down is actually the safe move for next turn?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 7, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You can't plan on headshots, it's still only a 2% and change chance of happening for normal shooting. Also luckily the OpFor is not especially loaded down with critseekers. The Warhammer you guys are facing is packing SRMs, but that's about it (You could sorta consider the northern Marauder's LRM15s as critseekers, but eh). It does mean you should 100% avoid getting in punch range though. Punches have a far better chance of being headshots.

e: Since the Pillager is officially 4/6/4 now with a new model designation.. The only way I can build it out to where it totally works is actually with clan spec gauss rifles, an XL gyro, Endo-steel, and a small cockpit. With an XXL engine, there's just not room for an IS gauss rifle + C3i (I've been using that as a placeholder for the variable C3 in this mission since it looks like it weighed the same) in the right torso. If the C3 only takes one crit, like a Nova CEWS then it can worth with IS Gauss rifles, although the XXL engine bumps the cost up to a cool 115 million c-bills.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Punches have a far better chance of being headshots.

Thankfully, so do maces, since PTN's running the rules that let melee weapons use the punch table. :getin:

With the to hit penalty for maces I think I'll be hitting on an 8. With 25 damage, a hit to the rear side torsos or the head will be an instant kill, although I'd still appreciate at least one other player taking shots at the Marauder too just in case I miss.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

Thankfully, so do maces, since PTN's running the rules that let melee weapons use the punch table. :getin:

With the to hit penalty for maces I think I'll be hitting on an 8. With 25 damage, a hit to the rear side torsos or the head will be an instant kill, although I'd still appreciate at least one other player taking shots at the Marauder too just in case I miss.

Awwww yea.

Someone else should definitely still shoot it since 8s aren't too great a number to bet on for a KO on such a dangerous mech.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gallowglas (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Warhammer Gong Gong (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 12, hit Right Arm (13/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Warhammer Gong Gong (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (7/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at Warhammer Gong Gong (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (12/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Laser at Warhammer Gong Gong (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER PPC Laser at Warhammer Gong Gong (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (16/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 36!

Wait... I have 36 heat sinks O.o *facepalm*

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

shalafi4 posted:

Wait... I have 36 heat sinks O.o *facepalm*

You do, but that's the best combination of weapons you could fire anyhow- The last large would have put you overheated enough to hit your MP. Consider the extra 2 heat a buffer for if you had decided to hit your jumpjets!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Gwaihir posted:

You do, but that's the best combination of weapons you could fire anyhow- The last large would have put you overheated enough to hit your MP. Consider the extra 2 heat a buffer for if you had decided to hit your jumpjets!

for some crazy reason I was thinking I had 32 and was going 2 into overheat this turn. :confuoot:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Awwww yea.

Someone else should definitely still shoot it since 8s aren't too great a number to bet on for a KO on such a dangerous mech.

I mean, I'm going to be unloading my entire arsenal into its backside as well, so hopefully something will penetrate even if the mace misses. Those XXL Engines are pretty vulnerable.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

I mean, I'm going to be unloading my entire arsenal into its backside as well, so hopefully something will penetrate even if the mace misses. Those XXL Engines are pretty vulnerable.

Only the Shadowhawks (And maaaybe the Pillager???) have XXLs, but yea you guys are in great position to wreck it and the Warhammer.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
A 115 million C-Bill robot? :stare:

You know what disturbs me the most about the Phoenixes? "Passive/Passive".

AJ_Impy posted:

Witness!

What up, headcap buddy, You broke my 'getting headcapped' record by one turn!

:respek:

:psyboom::hf::psyboom:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Pooncha, well done sir.

PTN, any chance that there's an in-universe group that calls immediate head-capping in a battle 'Getting Pooncha'd"?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Only the Shadowhawks (And maaaybe the Pillager???) have XXLs, but yea you guys are in great position to wreck it and the Warhammer.

Are you sure about that? Replicating the 'Lu Bu' design in MegaMek with just an XL leaves it 5.5 tons overweight. You can cut that down to 2 tons with Endo Steel, but only an XXL seems to let it exist as is.

I have no idea what's up with the Pillager. Maybe some Clan wizardry.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

Are you sure about that? Replicating the 'Lu Bu' design in MegaMek with just an XL leaves it 5.5 tons overweight. You can cut that down to 2 tons with Endo Steel, but only an XXL seems to let it exist as is.

I have no idea what's up with the Pillager. Maybe some Clan wizardry.

I thought I had the Marauders figured out, but I went back and looked at my files and I clearly don't, heh.

I do know they don't have XXLs though- The one that fired two LVSPLs and the snubbie is at 4 overheat- It has 28 sinks, generated 30 from shooting and 2 from running. XXLs generate extra heat from running, like 4? ish something more over the normal +2 from running.

That particular Marauder builds out fine if you give it clan FF armor + endo + an XL engine (These two can be IS spec, it just needs Clanspec FF to get the right weight. It does have 12.5 tons of clan FF armor though, since these guys have 100% armor coverage).

The others are weird, since if you assume they're Omnis and thus have the same armor/structure/engine, they don't really come out right. Lu Bu is 2.5 tons overweight though with that setup. The one with LRMs works if you give it Clan spec launchers + CASE II instead of the normal IS eLRMs.

I dunno, I'll be interested to see the actual readouts after the mission hopefully!

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Pooncha is a true Marik patriot. His sacrifice shall not be in vain. :patriot:

Dolash posted:

If it weren't for the headcap that would've been a decent exchange on damage for the turn, although that DFA is also a big problem and recovering from it while the Capellan rearguard continues to surround the Corsairs means they've pretty much done their job of delaying the relief group - who are all the more needed because drat, down one Crusader already! Apart from that loss the Mariks are holding their own, thank goodness they got one Warhammer but a lot is going to depend on next turn's crazy canyon knife-fight.

Can anyone give a better sense of how that brawl will go down? The Pillager being an Ace means they might be getting it from both sides.

And might now be a good time for the Guillotine to avenge the Thunderbolt by backshotting that Warhammer to oblivion?

I'm very tempted to lay into the green Warhammer but I'm wary of the dark grey Marauder with the red stripe. Any suggestions?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright, I've crunched some numbers. If I go to 1026 and shoot the Marauder I'll be rolling for 8 with my Gauss Rifle, 6 for the Flamer and ER Medium and 7 for Streaks. Slightly above the mean, but not marginal shots by any standards. My mace will be hitting on 8, unless Targeting Computers give a bonus to melee. I won't be going for a kick because that would mean not firing my SRMs.

If no one has any advice / objections that's what I'll be doing this turn.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

garland336 posted:

I thought the whole point of PTN putting so many major characters on the same map was to offer an "opportunity" to shake up the canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

Alright, I've crunched some numbers. If I go to 1026 and shoot the Marauder I'll be rolling for 8 with my Gauss Rifle, 6 for the Flamer and ER Medium and 7 for Streaks. Slightly above the mean, but not marginal shots by any standards. My mace will be hitting on 8, unless Targeting Computers give a bonus to melee. I won't be going for a kick because that would mean not firing my SRMs.

If no one has any advice / objections that's what I'll be doing this turn.

I think that's a great move, it leave the Timberwolf able to take 0927 to kick the Marauder without a replying kick, and the Wolverine II can do something like 0926 for ideal gauss/MPL shots.

• Locked thread