Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer
That's what I figured too. I tried with an enclosure I already have, but it didn't seem to work despite the lower power usage of an SSD. Unfortuantely, the enclosure I have doesn't support additional power.
I'll just use an old phone charger. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I bought another SSD and I completely forgot that I only had two Intel SATA 6gb/s slots on this motherboard. Should I stick it on the Marvell 6gb/s slot or put it on one of the SATA 3gb/s slots or should I be looking for a PCI-E controller?

My motherboard is a P8P67 LE so I'd really rather not do the PCI-E controller route as the cable routing and airflow issues are bad enough without a card butting against my 970.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Party Plane Jones posted:

I bought another SSD and I completely forgot that I only had two Intel SATA 6gb/s slots on this motherboard. Should I stick it on the Marvell 6gb/s slot or put it on one of the SATA 3gb/s slots or should I be looking for a PCI-E controller?

My motherboard is a P8P67 LE so I'd really rather not do the PCI-E controller route as the cable routing and airflow issues are bad enough without a card butting against my 970.

Is it your third SSD? Put it on a marvell controller port. If not, put a non-SSD drive on one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

Is it your third SSD? Put it on a marvell controller port. If not, put a non-SSD drive on one.

Yes, it's my 3rd SSD. :cripes:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Yes, it's my 3rd SSD. :cripes:
Intel SATA300 port.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Intel SATA300 port.

Are the Marvell controllers truly that bad?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I just got a new 2tb hdd, upgrading from a 1tb. I'd like to use the 1tb in a different pc so is there a recommended program to move the data from the 1tb to the 2tb?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Are the Marvell controllers truly that bad?
Yeah, they tend to cause issues, it's not worth an increase in the transfer rate cap.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My anecdotal experience tells me that Marvell controlled disk drives function fine, but it makes SSD's go slow. HD's seem fine on the Marvell controller.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Harminoff posted:

So I just got a new 2tb hdd, upgrading from a 1tb. I'd like to use the 1tb in a different pc so is there a recommended program to move the data from the 1tb to the 2tb?

Is this your boot drive? If so, the 2 main manufacturers both offer their own versions of Acronis you can use to clone the drive.

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119&lang=en
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

If this is just a data disk you can either clone it or use something like teracopy to do a straight file copy

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I bought new RAM, and plugged it in backwards. I smelled a faint burning plastic smell. I realized my mistake, and plugged it in the right way. Now the motherboard beeps its POST code saying memory error in an endless loop. I plugged in my old RAM, and it does the same thing.

1) My motherboard is dead, right?

2) Is the RAM dead too?

3) Would it hurt any of my other components?

I'm scared I fried my video card. Here's a pic of the connector pins:

They look discolored slightly and one of them even has a little chip on it.

I just bought it. Can I send it back to Newegg if I fried it?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I thought it was impossible to plug in memory backwards? Isn't the little notch on them off center?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Maybe he pushed the heatspreader into the board? :-D

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

One side clicked in.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
On a serious note, it's good practice to remove all power source from the board when fitting stuff like that. I even push the on button in just in case it helps discharge any latent voltage in a capacitor. It probably doesn't, but that's just my paranoia/perfectionism.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

DeaconBlues posted:

On a serious note, it's good practice to remove all power source from the board when fitting stuff like that. I even push the on button in just in case it helps discharge any latent voltage in a capacitor. It probably doesn't, but that's just my paranoia/perfectionism.

I will remember to do this.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have a problem with my computer, specifically monitor/GPU, not waking from sleep. Put it to sleep last night but woke up to it on because the cat jumped on the keyboard (I regretfully didn't have this turned off in settings). Pulled all the usb so it couldn't happen again. Starting it this morning, the computer starts fine but the monitor says "no signal" and it's like the GpU is not waking up. I have tried powering off, holding power button while disconnected, switching HDMI and just resat the GPU. Is there some sort of reset switch on it I can hit or something?

p67 motherboard
i5 2500k
8gb ram
R9 290x gpu

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 5, 2015

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've never messed with crossfire and i don't really know if it's worth it plus my poo poo is ancient, tell me if i should do it.

I just got a 6950 from a friend of mine. he did that fuse cutting thing that unlocks it into a 6970. I have a 6870. They aren't the same card but they're so drat close i don't think it's much of a problem, right? My current garbage amd board doesn't have 2 pcie x16 slots but the new motherboard i bought does. I've got a 650w power supply and i have no clue if it will run two xbox huge video cards but i'm pretty sure it has 4 pci power cables. New processor is a G4400 which is underwhelming but a massive upgrade from a dual core phenom

I've heard that there's compatibility and driver problems with crossfiring but i also haven't kept up with this poo poo, it's fine in tyool 2015 right? Also the important question is will i be able to play new games with this or are my cards just too fuckin old.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

nigga crab pollock posted:

I've never messed with crossfire and i don't really know if it's worth it plus my poo poo is ancient, tell me if i should do it.

I just got a 6950 from a friend of mine. he did that fuse cutting thing that unlocks it into a 6970. I have a 6870. They aren't the same card but they're so drat close i don't think it's much of a problem, right? My current garbage amd board doesn't have 2 pcie x16 slots but the new motherboard i bought does. I've got a 650w power supply and i have no clue if it will run two xbox huge video cards but i'm pretty sure it has 4 pci power cables. New processor is a G4400 which is underwhelming but a massive upgrade from a dual core phenom

I've heard that there's compatibility and driver problems with crossfiring but i also haven't kept up with this poo poo, it's fine in tyool 2015 right? Also the important question is will i be able to play new games with this or are my cards just too fuckin old.
Those cards can't be Crossfired, they are completely different architectures. Keep the 6970 and junk your 6870, at least there will be a moderate performance boost. A 6970 is still reasonably capable of gaming with the latest drivers and settings turned down.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bromplicated posted:

I bought new RAM, and plugged it in backwards. I smelled a faint burning plastic smell. I realized my mistake, and plugged it in the right way. Now the motherboard beeps its POST code saying memory error in an endless loop. I plugged in my old RAM, and it does the same thing.

1) My motherboard is dead, right?

2) Is the RAM dead too?

3) Would it hurt any of my other components?

I'm scared I fried my video card. Here's a pic of the connector pins:

They look discolored slightly and one of them even has a little chip on it.

I just bought it. Can I send it back to Newegg if I fried it?

To be honest, you may have voided any warranty you had on the ram and motherboard. User caused damage is grounds for warranty dismissal.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I took it into a local shop and tested the different components. The motherboard is dead, but the RAM and video card are OK. I guess even if the little pins don't look so good the thing still works.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

nigga crab pollock posted:

On top of what Alereon said, depending on your resolution and performance requirements a single 6970 might be just fine. When I was still running 1680x1050 I didn't really have any complaints about my unlocked 6950, although stuff like Far Cry 3 and Metro LL were starting to drag a little by the end.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Has anyone had hands-on experience with Avocent KVM over ip switches? Are they loud in typical 1U fashion?

They're cheap on ebay and I want to play with one, but it would be in my room :/

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 6, 2015

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I've got a decent amount of tech waste that might be worth a few bucks, probably as scrap. Some poundage of RAM, HDD circuit boards, old PCI cards, etc. Anybody know where I can get decent dollar for it?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Comcast just sent me an email, saying that I need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to "take advantage of higher speeds" (sure......)
This is probably a good opportunity to just buy a cable modem and stop giving them 10 dollars a month like a chump.

Any reccomendations? They have a list of "approved" modems here: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Does it really make any difference which one I get? Or is this like network cards, in that they're all the same but you can spend money on l33t ones if you hate money

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The SB 6141 often gets recommended. You need to look up the number of channels a modem has available, you want four upstream and at least 8 downstream.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

Comcast just sent me an email, saying that I need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to "take advantage of higher speeds" (sure......)
This is probably a good opportunity to just buy a cable modem and stop giving them 10 dollars a month like a chump.

Any reccomendations? They have a list of "approved" modems here: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Does it really make any difference which one I get? Or is this like network cards, in that they're all the same but you can spend money on l33t ones if you hate money

The 6141 is pretty much the only game in town.
http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449432159&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+surfboard

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Otis Reddit posted:

I've got a decent amount of tech waste that might be worth a few bucks, probably as scrap. Some poundage of RAM, HDD circuit boards, old PCI cards, etc. Anybody know where I can get decent dollar for it?
Typically you pay money to dispose of e-waste, you aren't paid scrap value. Companies that do pay scrap value usually require you to strip the boards yourself (remove mounting brackets and capacitors, etc) in exchange for a few dollars per pound, with minimum weight requirements. Similarly, you can get a few dollars per pound for the aluminum in HDD cases, but you have to strip them down to just the aluminum case.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Turds in magma posted:

Sb6183 is the more future proof option but unless you pay for your top speed bracket you are probably years from actually needing it. Sb6141 is a great choice too.

SlayVus posted:

If you really want to future-proof, you go with the SB-6190. 32 downstream and 8 upstream. *May not work with your current provider*.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K

well goddamn, hadn't even seen that yet

emdash fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 7, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you really want to future-proof, you go with the SB-6190. 32 downstream and 8 upstream. *May not work with your current provider*.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 7, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Carriers are beginning their rollouts of DOCSIS 3.1 for higher speed tiers, so don't think that buying a higher-end DOCSIS 3.0 modem is future-proofing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So my friend gave me a Thermaltake Black Widow 850w power supply. I've never installed a power supply before, but I'm going to stick this one in my computer along with the card I plan on ordering, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether it would probably fit in my Dell XPS 8700 premade case. I'm obviously gonna measure and stuff before I start unplugging things, I'm just curious.

More importantly, though, I'm also wondering if there are any potential compatibility issues I should be aware of with something like this and a Dell motherboard and stuff. I'm a total novice with this stuff, so I'm sure these questions are dumb.

Anyway, here is the power supply he gave me:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Frog Act posted:

So my friend gave me a Thermaltake Black Widow 850w power supply. I've never installed a power supply before, but I'm going to stick this one in my computer along with the card I plan on ordering, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether it would probably fit in my Dell XPS 8700 premade case. I'm obviously gonna measure and stuff before I start unplugging things, I'm just curious.

More importantly, though, I'm also wondering if there are any potential compatibility issues I should be aware of with something like this and a Dell motherboard and stuff. I'm a total novice with this stuff, so I'm sure these questions are dumb.

I'd strongly recommend against trying to use that power supply. They are made with poor quality components that stop providing usable power by 80% load and literally catch fire at their rated load when new, and after 5+ years will be doing MUCH worse than when new.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Frog Act posted:

Listen to Aelereon about the power supply quality. That said, I've worked on some XPS 8700s at businesses nearby and they use standard ATX power supplies so you should have no trouble putting one in there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Frog Act posted:

What video card are you planning on getting? If it's a GTX 970, I run mine on an Antec VP-450 swimmingly, paired with a Core i3-4330. A VP-450 can be had for like $30 after rebate or coupons, and its normal price is around $40 or so. It's likely the best PSU you can get at/or under the $40 price point imo, if you're looking to save some money. I've been using it in every system build I've done for myself, friends, and family since 2012—7 in builds in total—and each PC has been running since without issue.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

teagone posted:

What video card are you planning on getting? If it's a GTX 970, I run mine on an Antec VP-450 swimmingly, paired with a Core i3-4330. A VP-450 can be had for like $30 after rebate or coupons, and its normal price is around $40 or so. It's likely the best PSU you can get at/or under the $40 price point imo, if you're looking to save some money. I've been using it in every system build I've done for myself, friends, and family since 2012—7 in builds in total—and each PC has been running since without issue.

The VP-450 is a piece of poo poo that nobody should buy, you can get an EVGA 500B for the same price that is better in every way.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Alereon posted:

I'd strongly recommend against trying to use that power supply. They are made with poor quality components that stop providing usable power by 80% load and literally catch fire at their rated load when new, and after 5+ years will be doing MUCH worse than when new.

Holy poo poo. Yeah, I won't install it then, that doesn't sound worth the risk at all. I'm glad I asked in here.

teagone posted:

I'm planning on picking up an MSI GTX 960 2GB, probably this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127844

Looking at the VP-450, I see its 450w, and my current PSU is the default Dell one, which is 460w. I was told I should look for a 500 or 600w PSU if I want to be able to run everything, including my disk drives and stuff, along with a new card.

BurritoJustice posted:

The VP-450 is a piece of poo poo that nobody should buy, you can get an EVGA 500B for the same price that is better in every way.

Could you link me to one of these? If the one my buddy gave me is liable to loving burst into flames I'm definitely going to buy a power supply when I order the 960 and it sounds like you've got a good idea of which one I should pick up.

edit: so I told my buddy the power supply he gave me had all these risky traits and he's wondering if its worth selling on Craigslist, what do ya'll think?

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 7, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Frog Act posted:

Could you link me to one of these? If the one my buddy gave me is liable to loving burst into flames I'm definitely going to buy a power supply when I order the 960 and it sounds like you've got a good idea of which one I should pick up.

edit: so I told my buddy the power supply he gave me had all these risky traits and he's wondering if its worth selling on Craigslist, what do ya'll think?
Check out the Parts Picking Megathread for more parts advice/help. JonnyGuru.com and HardwareSecrets.com both do excellent reviews of power supplies where they analyze the internal components for quality.

It definitely isn't worth trying to sell an old garbage power supply since new garbage is cheap anyway. Also, power supplies are very age-sensitive like harddrives, so there isn't much of a used market.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 7, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Turds in magma posted:

YMMV but the 6141 I demoed kept overheating so I ended up getting one of these instead (from Comcast's list above) :
http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem-5341J/dp/B0063K4NN6

Might have just been the unit I tried, but I haven't had any issues with the 5341J since setting it up with Comcast.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
To pound another nail in the 6141's coffin - I replaced a failed 6121 with one and TWC has a head end problem in my market that they refuse to address, and it causes channels to randomly drop. The 6141 doesn't handle dropped channels gracefully, instead of resetting the dropped channel it just resets the whole modem. This resulted in my connection frequently going down and back up again, often several times per hour.

When I replaced it with a Zoom 5341J all of my problems disappeared.