Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sailor Viy posted:

Um, do you have any kind of guarantee that Johnny will share with you or are you just kinda hoping it will happen? It kind of sounds like you're putting in a lot of effort for something that will likely only benefit Johnny in the end.

you've read ASF before, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Sailor Viy posted:

Um, do you have any kind of guarantee that Johnny will share with you or are you just kinda hoping it will happen? It kind of sounds like you're putting in a lot of effort for something that will likely only benefit Johnny in the end.

Um this sounds like something he does not want to put formally in writing ever at any point.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Look when you're a highly functioning drug addict one tramadol trip away from complete oblivion the last thing you want is a paper trail

God bless croatia

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

detectivemonkey posted:

Um this sounds like something he does not want to put formally in writing ever at any point.

Oh true, I was more wondering if Johnny had actually promised him anything or he just 'smells money'.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Hey guys, remember Nicholas, the guy to whom I sold my old crackden apartment and who attempted to extort money from me? My friend and I are going to nail the fucker because he's a professional conman.

Probability of success: 0

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He's a professional conman you don't have a chance against him

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The concept of professional anything is different in Croatia than in other parts of the world. Remember that Fatbeard is a professional landlord.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I think you`re giving the Croatian courts a little too much credit here

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I'll keep this post brief because the power supply in my computer is on its last legs and it could crap out at any moment, and I can't afford to buy a new one at the moment.

Waldo is seriously ill. Looks like one of his lungs collapsed while he was at work, and he was rushed to the hospital. I visited him at the hospital and he told me that doctors don't know yet what is the problem. Waldo must have lost something like 20 pounds because he doesn't eat well and works way too much – unfortunately, I think he's a serious candidate for karoshi.

Today I was rifling through the trash cans at the bus stop, and one young dude approached me and gave me a 20 Kuna bill (that's around $3.50) because he must have felt sorry for me. I was pretty surprised, I must say.

I applied for a job at a car wash place but I didn't get the job because they said I was "too old for this kind of job". God dammit.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Can you sell all of waldo's stuff when he dies?

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

lazercunt posted:

Can you sell all of waldo's stuff when he dies?

This is something that happens frequently, tenants move away and leave stuff behind. Today I found a pretty decent bike in the basement, I cleaned the dust off and oiled the chain and the fucker now goes like crazy. Originally I intended to sell that bike, but now I changed my mind and I'll keep it. I didn't ride a bike for ~15 years and I almost fell down a few times but I soon got the hang of it, and I enjoyed the gently caress out a bike ride. The other tenant left me a tire pump so now I have complete bike equipment - I'd be a fool to sell that.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I finally have some good news.

My grandad had a large deposit of hard currency money in the Bank of Ljubljana (ljubljanska banka)

The assets got frozen in 1991 after Yugoslavia fell apart. LB reasoned that they can't pay out their clients because "all the money is in Belgrade" which was pure hogwash.

Twenty-five years later, EU forced Slovenia to play fair and pay out their clients. I have something like $7000 in frozen assets, and after EU chewed out the Slovenians, they decided to FINALLY pay out their clients. I'll probably see my money in 2016, and it'll be enough dough to repay everyone who borrowed me money.

Good thing I speak Slovenian, as the forms I had to fill in were printed in Slovenian language. $7000 is a rough estimation of the amount of money deposited in the 1980s, and there's a 25-year interest going to be added too. Hurray?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Spend it all on acquiring more debt!

Also, *loaned
Unless you're paying people to borrow money from you?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I like how you're sort of of an erudite human raccoon

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Croatia is good, to me.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If you spend it all on drugs you'll probably come up with a scheme to make even more money than that, invest it like this please

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

*literally inherits houses and fortune after family all the time, rents out flats for a living, has no family of his own to take care of*

*struggles to put together money for food, regularly goes through trash in public places to look for cans*

*croatia is a great place to live*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jeza posted:

I like how you're sort of of an erudite human raccoon

Someone should link this thread in the PYF Raccoon thread.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Palpek posted:

*literally inherits houses and fortune after family all the time, rents out flats for a living, has no family of his own to take care of*

*struggles to put together money for food, regularly goes through trash in public places to look for cans*

*croatia is a great place to live*

1: He's not exactly inheriting the Hilton. When the property actively devalues the land it's on, I wouldn't call that a windfall of good fortune.
2: Drugs
3: Drugs
4: Drugs
5: Other poor decisions, usually made while on drugs
6: Drugs
7: You get the picture

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
Notice in most of these updates his tenants are not paying him any rent. That means a good chunk of the time his properties are costing him money.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think getting rent is more uncommon then not

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

I finally have some good news!

Ah, here comes the periodical good news before the return to total financial and personal chaos!

quote:

I'm celebrating the occasion with a lil' bit of Tramadol.

:patriot:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
A Sweaty Fatbeard you are a lot like me in that you constantly inherit money from relatives that you waste on drugs, but i can actually manage my life. I don't cook chairs or go through the rubbish bins at the bus stop.
Admittedly the differences might just be down to croatia.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is something that happens frequently, tenants move away and leave stuff behind. Today I found a pretty decent bike in the basement, I cleaned the dust off and oiled the chain and the fucker now goes like crazy. Originally I intended to sell that bike, but now I changed my mind and I'll keep it. I didn't ride a bike for ~15 years and I almost fell down a few times but I soon got the hang of it, and I enjoyed the gently caress out a bike ride. The other tenant left me a tire pump so now I have complete bike equipment - I'd be a fool to sell that.

That's awesome! Bikes can be really empowering for people in your kind of position. Come ask in the bike commuting thread if you want tips on using it. We're pretty inclusive.

Also I checked, and apparently Zagreb has bike hippies. You can go to Frankopanska 1 (apparently look for a door with a bike pedal instead of a door handle) on Thursdays between 17:00 and 20:00, and some awesome people will show you how to check over and fix up your bike using their tools.

http://biciklopopravljaona.zelena-akcija.hr/p/english-about-us.html

Getting involved with them might also be a good way of curing boredom, if you're struggling to find a job.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That's awesome! Bikes can be really empowering for people in your kind of position. Come ask in the bike commuting thread if you want tips on using it. We're pretty inclusive.

I actually know very little about bicycles. Back in my heyday I used to cycle on my 70s tardcycle for around ~20 miles every single day after school (instead of studying and/or doing homework), then one day I got me a computer and I gradually became too lazy for long bike trips and eh. :negative:

Actually the worst traffic accident I ever caused was when I was on a bike: I was riding down the road, going in parallel with a trail of parked cars and a dog suddenly teleported in front of me from between the cars and I didn't see him until it was too late - and ploughed my bike right into him.
I ran over a dog, the pooch was fine but I was not: the doggie collision launched me over the handlebars and I ended up with badly scraped knees. The dog just kept barking in confusion, and I don't blame him. This happened in early 90s when there weren't any dog leash laws yet or dedicated dog parks at all.

Also I checked, and apparently Zagreb has bike hippies. You can go to Frankopanska 1 (apparently look for a door with a bike pedal instead of a door handle) on Thursdays between 17:00 and 20:00, and some awesome people will show you how to check over and fix up your bike using their tools.

http://biciklopopravljaona.zelena-akcija.hr/p/english-about-us.html

Yeah, I might stop by them, I remembered just how FUN is to drive a bike.
The bike I'm using now is more than 20 years old but it's in a pretty good shape, apart from the rear brake - the brake is actually fine but a bowden cable is missing altogether. The front brake is working really well though.
Also imagine how many trashcans I could check out when on a bike! To me, trashcans are a Mario thing, Mario collects 100 coins and gets a 1-up, I collect 26 cans and get a beer.

Getting involved with them might also be a good way of curing boredom, if you're struggling to find a job.

IN FACT, looks like I got a job and will be starting this Thursday! I'll be reading out the gas meters in peoples apartments, the job is only temporary but it pays pretty well. I'm only worried about one thing, and it's that I might get bitten by a pissed dog while trying to read out a meter (should I carry an emergency steak to distract a dog with?)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

E/N Bullshit > Is Croatia a Great Place to Live? Imagine how many trashcans I could check out when on a bike!

E/N Bullshit > Is Croatia a Great Place to Live? Should I carry an emergency steak to distract a dog with?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Also imagine how many trashcans I could check out when on a bike! To me, trashcans are a Mario thing, Mario collects 100 coins and gets a 1-up, I collect 26 cans and get a beer.

I once saw a dude that parked his car in front of a trashcan, rummaged through it for bottles and then drove 20 meters to the next one. What I'm saying is that there's clearly an opportunity for advancement in the trashcan checking business and only sky is the limit (no helipads near trashcans).

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Disco Infiva posted:

I once saw a dude that parked his car in front of a trashcan, rummaged through it for bottles and then drove 20 meters to the next one. What I'm saying is that there's clearly an opportunity for advancement in the trashcan checking business and only sky is the limit (no helipads near trashcans).

He just wasted gas driving around looking for cans.
The obvious solution to this problem would have been to sell his car: even more money for beer!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Oh boy, here comes my beer!

(I even found a Starman - a 1 Kuna coin on the sidewalk)

Another thing, why is it that every time something interesting happens outside, I don't have a camera along with me? I witnessed a police raid in which a 20L plastic drum of something was seized, and an enormous 155mm howitzer shell. The shell was so heavy that a burly fella could barely pick it up and load it in the police jeep. Fortunately for everyone that the shell was defused, but I definitely wouldn't want to drop that thing, defused or not.

The leftover ammo/weapons is a major problem in Croatia. You can hand over your loot to the police and you won't be charged with anything. This was instated after people started throwing their bombs and mines in the trash or by the roadside, where anyone could find and pick them up (mostly by children.)

Hell, this isn't even news anymore. I'm reading the Croatian portals right now and they don't even mention finding an enormous bomb in Zagreb. News crews these days react only when there's something absolutely extraordinary found - such as that time last year, when the police found a complete and working AA cannon in some old guy's garage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You live in the strangest country. I mean sure, lots of countries are dealing with the whole leftover armaments thing, but who just puts bombs in the trash???

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Geniasis posted:

You live in the strangest country. I mean sure, lots of countries are dealing with the whole leftover armaments thing, but who just puts bombs in the trash???

People were afraid that they would be charged with "possession of illegal arms" if they tried to give their (rusted and badly aged) landmines and other illegal arms to the police. That's the reason you can now hand over your stash of poo poo to the police year-round and you won't be charged with anything, because calling the cops over 43 rusted landmines and two AKs is much preferred to throwing them out your car's window (and having them discovered by kids).

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Palpek posted:

E/N Bullshit > Is Croatia a Great Place to Live? Imagine how many trashcans I could check out when on a bike!

E/N Bullshit > Is Croatia a Great Place to Live? Should I carry an emergency steak to distract a dog with?

lmao

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I actually know very little about bicycles. Back in my heyday I used to cycle on my 70s tardcycle for around ~20 miles every single day after school (instead of studying and/or doing homework), then one day I got me a computer and I gradually became too lazy for long bike trips and eh. :negative:

Actually the worst traffic accident I ever caused was when I was on a bike: I was riding down the road, going in parallel with a trail of parked cars and a dog suddenly teleported in front of me from between the cars and I didn't see him until it was too late - and ploughed my bike right into him.
I ran over a dog, the pooch was fine but I was not: the doggie collision launched me over the handlebars and I ended up with badly scraped knees. The dog just kept barking in confusion, and I don't blame him. This happened in early 90s when there weren't any dog leash laws yet or dedicated dog parks at all.

Oh man, yeah you gotta watch out for those parked cars. I always keep at least a metre away, especially since people can open their doors in your face.

Yeah, I might stop by them, I remembered just how FUN is to drive a bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnQzyfYEs78

The bike I'm using now is more than 20 years old but it's in a pretty good shape, apart from the rear brake - the brake is actually fine but a bowden cable is missing altogether. The front brake is working really well though.

Yeah, definitely check out the bike hippies -- they'll sort you out. (But at least the working brake is the front one -- that's the one that gives you nearly all of your braking power.)

This, unironically. A lot of the binners (people who collect bottles for refund) in Vancouver do so on a bike. I've seen some biking along with several black trashbags full.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oh boy, here comes my beer!

In a previous post it was mentioned 26 cans/bottles will trade/recycle for a beer. I saw this picture and was pretty sure how many would be there. I immagine untouched trash bins with more bottles being walked past and ignored because it only takes 26 for a beer, and beer time is now. I enjoy this thread.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Twenty Four posted:

In a previous post it was mentioned 26 cans/bottles will trade/recycle for a beer. I saw this picture and was pretty sure how many would be there. I immagine untouched trash bins with more bottles being walked past and ignored because it only takes 26 for a beer, and beer time is now. I enjoy this thread.

I remember that in Israel specifically beer bottles have a huge deposit so it only takes a few to get a beer. Other bottles there have regular lovely deposits.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Well, so it happens again - a few hours ago I got some money from a guy on the street. He first saw me rifling through a bin at the bus station, he had an empty juice bottle with himself so he immediately gave it to me, as well as a baggy of empty plastic bottles he himself collected someplace else.
I went on my way then, after thanking him, but the guy went after me, hailed me across the intersection and gave me a fistful of coins (it was roughly $3 in loose change.)

I can buy no less than five loaves of bread with the bottles and money I got from him. :)

Croats are a rowdy but actually a very friendly bunch, I guess. v:shobon:v

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

I can buy no less than five loaves of bread with the bottles and money I got from him. :)

*loaves of beer

brotato
May 14, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

*loaves of beer
I mean beer is basically bread. Same ingredients and all that.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

brotato posted:

I mean beer is basically bread. Same ingredients and all that.

Yeah, you can just ferment some bread in a bucket of water and drink that. Sounds like it might be the more affordable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is this you, SWEATY FATBEARD? http://time.com/4141493/croatia-pants-fell-down/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook