Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
worship zeus, so he can appear to knock up your wife, along with every other jackass in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Tiler Kiwi posted:

worship zeus, so he can appear to knock up your wife, along with every other jackass in the world

It'll be the replacement for the seduction focus if you're Greek that basically just signals to the gods that you're cool with them cucking you.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've gone back to playing vanilla for the time being, to knock off some achievements in Ironman.
Starting as Dublin in the Charlemagne era, it took me about 20 years to get a claim on Kildare and then less than a week after I took it, my ruler died, leaving me as a 12 year old in a regency.
That kid is now 67, turned Feudal, united Ireland and established a foothold across southern Scotland. In addition to now having territory in Mallorca thanks to a random vassal inheritance.
He also has about 20 children: ten or so from his first marriage that lasted 45 years, then ten or so little bastards fathered after his wife kicked the bucket.
It's all going to go to hell once he dies, and it'll be awesome.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Trogdos! posted:

Hey Groogy, wanna tell us what the CK2 DLC codenamed "Zeus" is about? :bigtran:

Nope

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Groogy is finally selling out.

$25 DLC that adds Hellenism back in.

The game crashes if you play as a Hellenic character. This is the entire DLC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Joan of Arc shows up and I don't even get to put her 33 martial to work slaughtering fools before the trial chain fires. :smith:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

GSD posted:

Groogy is finally selling out.

$25 DLC that adds Hellenism back in.

The game crashes if you play as a Hellenic character. This is the entire DLC.

I can actually support this

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I started in 1066, and an AI Karling is on the throne of Aquitane in 1259

The second son of a Count of Vermandois happened to marry the Countess of Urgell at one point, and France lost Aquitane (to Leon of all places). The Karling Count of Urgell then married the first daughter of a King of Aquitane. She died early and Fred here inherited a claim, and got Faction-ed onto the Throne.

There's some incredible story of rebellion and murder I can only catch in glimpses. Fred's mother's family tree, for instance:

Related to five kings, of whom only one has died peacefully (presumably).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 7, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Honky Dong Country posted:

Know what I've noticed? The AI never sets up vassal merchant republics. I want to see that happen, drat it. I feel like it would really shake up the republic game if every rear end in a top hat with a king's crown and a coastline was jamming your waters up with two-bit infidel garbage scows.

Please god no. AI creating merchant republics would be like AI vassalizing the pope- you think it's gonna be cool until the HRE just does it in every single game and there's nothing you can do to retaliate because they're the loving HRE.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think it's nice that the Karlings can take a break from murdering each other to curbstomp anyone else that ever gets involved in the Francias every single time. More games need to support tight family values like this.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DStecks posted:

Please god no. AI creating merchant republics would be like AI vassalizing the pope- you think it's gonna be cool until the HRE just does it in every single game and there's nothing you can do to retaliate because they're the loving HRE.

I agree that there deffo should be some additional parameters for the AI doing this and not just doing it willy nilly, but I dunno...I kinda miss with my custom Arabian Republic start the two that died on their arse in 1066. First I was like: "Some duke killed Amalfi? Welp..I guess one less to balance out my inclusion." But then another Duke manages to just yoink Genoa, after they established a shitton of trade zones and I felt real bad. Now it's competing just with Pisa and Venice while Visby has free reign in the north until the Hansa show up and knowing this is all there ever will be in terms of independent republics and waiting on their trade post caps to go up is a little lonesome.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 7, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Has anyone ever seen an AI tribal become a merchant republic?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does pressing the claim of a vassal's vassal put their new holdings into your realm or independent?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Orv posted:

Does pressing the claim of a vassal's vassal put their new holdings into your realm or independent?

If the claim you press is of equal or higher rank than yours, then they become independent. If not, they will remain in your realm. But they may become your direct vassals, if their claim is for a title of equal or higher rank than their previous direct liege. So if you are a king, and the count under one of your dukes has a claim on a duchy, he will become your direct vassal once the war is won and he gains the new title.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's the exact situation, yeah. Thanks.

E: poo poo, unfortunately when I wasn't looking England's useless king died and was replaced by someone who is now marshaling almost twice my troop strength. Oh well, stabbin' time.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 7, 2015

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Sharmat posted:

I never have. The most I ever see is inland vassal republics from some mayor somehow getting a county title, but I don't even see that very often. I do think the AI should use more merchant republics though, because like that other guy said the existing ones often die. I can't remember the last time I saw a game where Amalfi didn't bail from the Byzantines during a revolt and promptly get swallowed by some Italian in a holy war.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I once saw an independent mosque in Ireland that was weird

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
So I'm playing an ironman game where I've turned tribal Scotland into the merchant empire of Alba. Quick question about claims because I don't want to mess this up: if I land someone with a claim to a foreign Kingdom and press it will the kingdom become my vassal?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Glokta posted:

So I'm playing an ironman game where I've turned tribal Scotland into the merchant empire of Alba. Quick question about claims because I don't want to mess this up: if I land someone with a claim to a foreign Kingdom and press it will the kingdom become my vassal?

As an Empire? Yes. I've done this several times, it'll totally work as long as you can reasonably have them and their new kingdom as your vassal. And if not, then you just wait until your former vassal is wracked with claimant revolts and invade yourself.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

verbal enema posted:

I once saw an independent mosque in Ireland that was weird

I once had a Irishman turn Sunni and successfully rebel against England to form an Irish-Sunni Kingdom. :psyduck:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tell me more.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I once had a Irishman turn Sunni and successfully rebel against England to form an Irish-Sunni Kingdom. :psyduck:

After I formed the Kingdom of Andalusia, I had a brief split of succession where Andalusia went to my brother. When my character died and I ended up as my brother, he had changed cultures and I found myself running the Sultanate of Ireland for a generation.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

Tell me more.

it was a while back, before horse lords, but one of the Russian tribal states became a republic. I want to say Ruthenia? They were basically Novgorod under a different name. This was with me nearby playing as a Viking Lithuania.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Trogdos! posted:

Hey Groogy, wanna tell us what the CK2 DLC codenamed "Zeus" is about? :bigtran:

They're going to allow you more detail on how you set up your provinces and the happiness of your people.

By porting in Master of Olympus:Zeus.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

As an Empire? Yes. I've done this several times, it'll totally work as long as you can reasonably have them and their new kingdom as your vassal. And if not, then you just wait until your former vassal is wracked with claimant revolts and invade yourself.

Ok, thanks. Time to start chipping away at the Karlings bit by bit.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Darth Windu posted:

it was a while back, before horse lords, but one of the Russian tribal states became a republic. I want to say Ruthenia? They were basically Novgorod under a different name. This was with me nearby playing as a Viking Lithuania.

That is really cool.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Bloodly posted:

They're going to allow you more detail on how you set up your provinces and the happiness of your people.

By porting in Master of Olympus:Zeus.

Whatever the DLC turns out to be, it will now be a disappointment.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This but they rebelled against the Umayyads and then fought a few holy wars and lost a few holy wars. By the time I took over as my merchant republic of Uldaih or w/e all that was left was the single independent mosque which was owned by a kinsman.

found the pic hahah yesss i love ck2 what an old boss that guy is

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
just noticed it wasnt a mosque and now im sad

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Orv posted:

Oh, other long term changes, question, I should hopefully be able to figure everything else out; there was a post god knows how far back that endless archer/heavy infantry stacks were no-longer the de facto retinue?

Archers are now expensive light infantry. Very slightly better with the unique combat tactic, but still not good. Pikes/Heavy are a good base troop type still, made even better with the various cultural versions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, now the rule is pretty much build your cultural retinue unless it's light infantry, in which case build heavy infantry or light cavalry probably.

Archers needed a nerf badly but I think it was overdone. Now they're just right alongside light infantry as useless fodder.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Saith posted:

Whatever the DLC turns out to be, it will now be a disappointment.

So true. I want pantheon beliefs that give unique bonuses.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Speaking of retinues, should I be building Housecarl Training Grounds in all of my baronies? Do you only get the heavy infantry attack bonus if the armies from their respective castles have the cultural building, or will spamming a bunch of training grounds give cumulative bonus?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

moot the hopple posted:

Speaking of retinues, should I be building Housecarl Training Grounds in all of my baronies? Do you only get the heavy infantry attack bonus if the armies from their respective castles have the cultural building, or will spamming a bunch of training grounds give cumulative bonus?

All cultural buildings only buff the units of their own castle.

Housecarl Training Grounds are especially good, because heavy infantry will nearly always be the most numerous unit type you get from your castle levies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can you not make Hey that's my de jure poo poo requests outside your nation, it's always just warfare? E: Or usurp.

I could have sworn I knew all this poo poo at one point, ugh.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 8, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orv posted:

Can you not make Hey that's my de jure poo poo requests outside your nation, it's always just warfare? E: Or usurp.

It's war only. I do wish the AI would be more proactive about pretty much immediately surrendering an unwinnable war to preserve its levies for other purposes, as a right-thinking player will in the same situation. Not just for the times when it annoys me that I have to waste time click-click-clicking for three years to win a war that's a foregone conclusion, but also because AI-on-AI wars can drag on pointlessly for 15 years when it's obvious who's going to win, just because it takes that long to siege up 100% warscore and the losing party refuses to surrender. Can make usurping titles a pain in the rear end.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, but two years later it turned into a Theocracy and I'm not sure if it was a bug or if there was just some hosed up politics going on in there.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Would anyone care to comment on how the Elder Scrolls conversion mod is doing atm? Been out of the CK2 loop for a while and just got off a Skyrim binge but was still looking for some more Elder Scrolls type stuff; thought maybe I'd try it out but if it's no good I can always play some vanilla CK2 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's war only. I do wish the AI would be more proactive about pretty much immediately surrendering an unwinnable war to preserve its levies for other purposes, as a right-thinking player will in the same situation. Not just for the times when it annoys me that I have to waste time click-click-clicking for three years to win a war that's a foregone conclusion, but also because AI-on-AI wars can drag on pointlessly for 15 years when it's obvious who's going to win, just because it takes that long to siege up 100% warscore and the losing party refuses to surrender. Can make usurping titles a pain in the rear end.

War needs some tweaking, yeah. No real point in warscore if the AI rarely if ever offers peace before 100%.

• Locked thread