Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Being able to order up a specific advisor at half price is one of my favorite things about estates. Dismissing advisors just ends up being a giant money pit for me. I just wish they had moved the Merchant Republic factions over to estates, I'm really suprised they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Another Person posted:

Especially if you just want to get a cool RNW seed, or like me are trying to get an optimal Ideas Guy start as Ösel. I had to restart that drat thing 8 times before a good series of events allowed me to take Riga and Livonia using Novgorod, then turn on Novgorod with Muscovy to take the Swedish border.

Of note by the way. How long do you reckon I have before Muscovy gets pissed and turns on me? I took what is basically all of the Swedish border except Arkangelsk. They demarked the land as being of vital interest due to me holding it while being their ally. When they form Russia maybe?

It would definitely be worth it to culture convert your Russian provinces because Muscovy will inevitably become the Russian cultural union if it isn't smothered in the crib and will come gunning for anyone with Russian culture land (unless you have a very high trust with them)

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Having this annoying bug

doesnt go away after a reload, or after a month. :(
edit:
it goes away after 3 or so months and then it crashes everytime.
Gud game.

Jexner fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 7, 2015

Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf

Jexner posted:

Having this annoying bug

doesnt go away after a reload, or after a month. :(
edit:
it goes away after 3 or so months and then it crashes everytime.
Gud game.

Try hiring an advisor (in whatever category you want your future ruler's stat to go up by 2,) then saving/reloading or something. It looks like it was changed so each of the options require an advisor but not the event trigger itself.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gonbon posted:

Try hiring an advisor (in whatever category you want your future ruler's stat to go up by 2,) then saving/reloading or something. It looks like it was changed so each of the options require an advisor but not the event trigger itself.

Thanks, that worked. :)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mehrunes posted:

Being able to order up a specific advisor at half price is one of my favorite things about estates. Dismissing advisors just ends up being a giant money pit for me. I just wish they had moved the Merchant Republic factions over to estates, I'm really suprised they didn't.

I never dare to use any of hte loyalty decreasing or influence increasing actions, it's just too easy too get hosed up by a random event. So to me the whole system is just an other lovely point I have to watch while expanding, and I don't feel like I get much out of it, this was worst with the Tribes that are just never happy.
Why is the clergy the only estate with a +loyalty option that doesn't increase influence?
Really add more options that actually let me make some sort of choice and remove estates from conquered territory (or make it add loyalty) and this whole thing might actually become fun.

Also gently caress revanchism, it should not be activated on lucky nations ever, I dismantled Austria 7 times in my game and they always got back up, winning the 30 years war together with Bohemia + an other war after that release Styria is what it took to keep them down so I could finally vassalize them.

Edit: New patch 10mins ago

Wiz posted:

Hotfix 1.14.2 was updated with a fix to another cause for the monarch CTD. No new version.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 7, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A decade or so in, I start getting interface bugs, where the main panel and province panel become unusable as the buttons are wildly out of place. No idea what triggers it, but resetting fixes it for another decade or so.

Going for my Idea Guy achievement.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If I declare war on the ally of a free city and call them in as a co-belligerent, are they going to call the emperor in? They don't have any actual allies so if the answer is no, I'm going to jump those fuckers first chance I get.

Also, I seem to recall reading something about being able to keep your old ideas when forming a new nation. Did this ever get patched in or am I imagining it?

e: actually looking it up it doesn't seem like Hannover has any ideas, so I assume I'd keep my sweet hamburglar ideas anyway. But still wondering about the first thing

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 7, 2015

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

No, the emperor won't be called.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I am digging the new version. Just started what I was hoping would be a feelgood game as France and already got my poo poo pushed in by Burgundy twice. Nice change of pace from stomping everyone in sight the last few expansions.

My only big complaint is that nations like Spain are retarded and will march all the way from Morocco around the Levant, through Greece and Italy, and finally back into Spain instead of just ferrying their dudes across with boats when peace is concluded. It's way too easy to catch them after peacing out in the maghreb and spend six months with zero worries carpet sieging them before they manage to march their way back into Iberia (and right into your stacks that are conveniently waiting in the mountainous border provinces).

Edit: Also this just happened. Not totally sure whether I am proud or disgusted with myself. Maybe a bit of both.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So frustrating trying to play Byzantium. I got a loving 4/6 general and alliances with Aragon and Poland and still somehow got owned.

I was having a lot of fun as Byz last patch, but right now it seems almost impossible.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Acceptableloss posted:

So I'm doing my first run at this game, playing as Venice.

It's about 1550 and my trade income is like 20 ducats/mo. Should it be higher than that at this point? I'm forwarding trade from Constantinople and Ragusa w/ like 50% of the trade power in each node and 70% in Venezia. I have 30 light ships (caravels) protecting trade and diplomatic tech level 11. Is there something I should be doing better to increase my income?

Can anyone help me with this? Do I need to post screen caps or something? Just trying to make sure I'm doing this right. It seems like I should making more $ off trade as Venice.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Acceptableloss posted:

Can anyone help me with this? Do I need to post screen caps or something? Just trying to make sure I'm doing this right. It seems like I should making more $ off trade as Venice.

20 ducats a month doesn't sound too bad but I haven't played Venice in a long time so I'm not sure if that's above or below average. Generally If you want to increase your trade income then go after provinces that are centers of trade or estuaries along the route you're pulling like Ragusa or Alexandria and make them into trade posts. In the early game your light ships won't make much of a difference. They get better at it with each new model. If you want more specific advice post a screenshot showing the Venice trade node's page and a map of the Mediterranean.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't forward trade from Ragusa, that node sucks. Its other downstream path is to Wien, which is inland, which means that Austria and Hungary get ton of caravan power in Ragusa while you get none, so you end up losing a lot of trade that way. Also putting a merchant in Constantinople is a waste because it only has one downstream path. Merchants are for directing trade, so when there's only one direction for it to go, there's no need.

Posting a screenshot of what territory you own would be helpful, but I'd say the best placement for your merchants would be Alexandria, Aleppo, and Wien (because you get a lot of caravan power there as well). For your trade fleet, I'd suggest making them privateers and sending them to the Genoa node, preferably with Genoa as a rival.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 7, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you take a screenshot of the trade mapmode of the surrounding nodes it might be easier to tell what's going on, but my initial guess is that either the Ottomans are cutting off most of the value or the Mamluks or whoever owns Alexandria are redirecting value away from you. Pay attention to what the actual value of the trade nodes is and where that money's going. You might be better off, for example, sending a merchant down to Alexandria than having him steer trade in Ragusa.

But yeah without actually seeing what's going on in your game it's hard to give some kind of blanket advice so post a screenshot. FWIW you might not be doing anything wrong if it's still only about 1550. Trade's one of those things that slowly grows and only really gets out of hand if you manage to take a ton of territory and monopolize a bunch of nodes leading to your home one.

e;fb

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I really feel like the AI and diplomacy system have really come a long way. Naval invasions are a real threat now (at least in my experience) and AI allies seem to be keen on giving you provinces in peace deals as long as you mark the ones you want beforehand and there aren't any conflicts. It adds so much to the game really and certainly gives incentive to help out your AI allies when they need it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

What's the general consensus on great idea bonuses? I want to make myself a 800 points custom nation and stomp people.

Discipline, tech / idea bonuses are a given, so is coring cost and possibly AE reducing.. What else?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Depending on where you decide to start, the max morale and discipline bonuses as your two traditions can be hilariously OP and will let you roll through all of your neighbors and blob up quickly.

Besides the ones you mentioned, republic tradition if you're going to be a merchant republic, and/or army tradition are nice to have as well. The separatism reduction is very useful as well if you're going to be invading a lot of your neighbors.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
^e: oh yeah republican tradition is probably the single best modifier you can get in the entire game.

Goods produced, army tradition stuff, land maintenance is more important than people give it credit, i like adviser cost; if you're doing colonizing, settler increase and colonial range can both be important.

Iowa posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to change what unit models are used by countries generated in the random new world? I wanted to make it so my game with the Crimson, Burning, and Obsidian empires had them actually use the Mayan, Inca, and Aztec unit packs I bought instead of what I think are just generic vanilla south or central american models. I found a post talking about how to edit that in your save, but random new world forces compressed saves so as far as I know I can't edit mine.

I haven't tested it but it should work: look up the tags for the random new world empires (should be in \history somewhere), then find the DLC .zips for the Maya/Inca/Aztec etc unit packs, then in those go to gfx\entities\ and take out the .asset file and put it in your own mod. In that file you'll find a whole bunch of stuff like this:

In this case it's for a level 1 Zaparozhie (ZAZ) infantry. There's one of these for each unit, usually 16 in total (4 infantry, 4 cavalry + 4 horses, and 4 artillery); for each one, change the tag I highlighted (name =) but not the pdxmesh one into the tag for the random new world empire. Do that 3 times for the three different teams, and that should be it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Development cost reduction has been extremely helpful in my ideas guy game, especially starting in the new world. Also I've been saved a few times thanks to combining discipline with more land morale.

Edit: also should mention I chose global settler increase and +2 colonists. By 1600ish I had 5 colonists running at all times and it's been amazing.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 7, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

What's the general consensus on great idea bonuses? I want to make myself a 800 points custom nation and stomp people.

Discipline, tech / idea bonuses are a given, so is coring cost and possibly AE reducing.. What else?

This is probably gonna generate a lot of debate since there are different playstyles and also it's gonna depend a lot on where you're starting. Coring cost and AE reduction are good if you're in Eurasia but if you start in the New World those are a lot less important.

You almost definitely want to start with the Dutch Republic government form. You get good to great rulers and have some control over keeping great ones for life or holding new elections by pushing Orangist/Statist influence. Most importantly no regencies. The trade efficiency and heavy combat ability are both really good (heavy combat is one of the best naval combat ideas IMO) and it's an "advanced" government form so gives a lot of autonomy reduction. You don't need RT or anything for Dutch Republic.

My personal top picks for each category:

Military - Discipline, Morale, Infantry Combat Ability, Siege Ability. AT and manpower also good.
Diplomatic - Colonists, Global Settler Growth, AE Impact, Monthly WE Reduction, Trade Efficiency.
Admin - Core Creation cost reduction, Production Efficiency, Tech cost discount, monthly autonomy, yearly inflation reduction, Missionary Strength, Years of Separatism

I think you want to start with Discipline and Morale as traditions. Coring cost discounts and AE reduction are really important if you're in Eurasia, a Colonist and Settler growth is probably a better investment if you're starting in Africa or the New World.
If you're getting a colonist IMO take it as your second idea. Starting with 3 development you're not going to be big enough to fund multiple colonists until a few decades in so slotting extra colonists second or maybe third makes most sense to me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also one thing to keep in mind is how the timing will work out on you unlocking those idea bonuses. For example don't have +2 colonists as your first unlockable bonus if you're not planning on taking Exploration until your 2nd or 3rd idea. Stuff like tech and coring cost are going to be way more valuable if you get them super early rather than being one of your last unlocked bonuses.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Where will you be starting? If you are in the old world, then put Army Morale +20% in your traditions, as well as 20% Dev Cost. In the early game morale is a big winner, later game discipline gets more useful (because you will have more modifiers, like inf. combat ability) and you will need to develop your land to be running any sort of profit.

First NI I would pick core creation cost discount. It is huge to have cheap cores because at a 1/1/1 start you better believe you will be expanding. I might even go with a empire rank Tribal Despotism (the true best gov form) and have even more cheap cores (don't bother reforming - you should already be in a good tech group). You will want your admin to be doing things like taking ideas, teching up or developing, so any pennies you can save on discounts is a godsend really.

Infantry combat ability near the start, possibly first or second NI. Artillery near the end for when that becomes useful. Tech and Idea Cost reduction if you want it, I don't think it is too massive a bonus though. Goods produced, Land Maintenance are good calls. Maybe put Discipline in there somewhere if you have space.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
unfortunately Goods Produced isn't an option for custom nation ideas but it does indeed Own Bones

Edit: that's another reason Dutch Republic is so great, Royal Marriages are available but you can take Plutocratic ideas (morale, goods produced, -2 RR, trading bonuses gently caress YEA). Ideas Guy you're giving yourself super strong military ideas anyway, so taking Admin + Plutocratic early on is totally doable and awesome. +20% goods produced, tons of mercs, coring discount, etc

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Is there any way, any way at all, to free the junior partner in a personal union? France's king died and as Holland I PUed them, but being Holland I'm still tiny as gently caress and France is huge, so their liberty desire is technically 300% from that alone. Will they accept it if I just wait until they declare war and immediately grant them independence through a peace deal, or am I screwed?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm about 70 years into a Venice game and thanks to Trade -> Plutocratic I have more merchants than I know what to do with. So I've got merchants sitting in Ragusa, Wien, Alexandria, and Constantinople all forwarding trade, and one in Venice because there's nowhere else to put him.

There was some talk earlier about how forwarding from Ragusa and Constantinople is bad, because Ragusa has all the land powers loving it up with caravans, and Constantinople only has one forward path. Should I just be collecting in these nodes instead?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Gyre posted:

Is there any way, any way at all, to free the junior partner in a personal union? France's king died and as Holland I PUed them, but being Holland I'm still tiny as gently caress and France is huge, so their liberty desire is technically 300% from that alone. Will they accept it if I just wait until they declare war and immediately grant them independence through a peace deal, or am I screwed?

Spend fifty years at war, peace out for one day to hit the integrate button, then immediately go to war again until it finishes :getin:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Can you still integrate while the lesser partner is at war? I don't think it works with vassals anymore, so maybe not PU as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm about 70 years into a Venice game and thanks to Trade -> Plutocratic I have more merchants than I know what to do with. So I've got merchants sitting in Ragusa, Wien, Alexandria, and Constantinople all forwarding trade, and one in Venice because there's nowhere else to put him.

There was some talk earlier about how forwarding from Ragusa and Constantinople is bad, because Ragusa has all the land powers loving it up with caravans, and Constantinople only has one forward path. Should I just be collecting in these nodes instead?

If you choose to collect in a non-home (outside Venice node, in your case) trade node you will take a heavy Trade Power penalty (edit to clarify) in that specific node. Additionally, as long as you're only collecting at home all your merchants steering toward home give you +10% Trade Power at home (Venice).

So if you swapped a merchant to collect in Constantinople, you will lose 30-40% bonus trade power in your home Venice node and the Power used to collect in Constantinople will be penalized -50%. If you're dominating your home node and have a decent share somewhere you can't easily steer home, it's often worth it.

Ragusa is a mess because steering trade from/toward an inland node applies Caravan Power. Each nation with a merchant will get Trade Power up to their development (max 50) modified by bonuses for Caravans, which means Hungary, Austria, and a bunch of tiny European states exert huge power in Ragusa steering toward Wien. You want to try and route most of your trade through Alexandria which feeds directly into your mouth.

You can always just try moving merchants around, let a couple months tick by and see what that does for your income. Not going to bankrupt you.

If you have a decent share of Trade Power in Constantinople you can try collecting there, but keep in mind that will void your trade power bonuses from merchants steering toward Venice.

Post a screenshot in trade mapmode with your trade tab open and we can give you more specific help

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 7, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I found collecting separately in Constantinople and Venice more profitable.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gyre posted:

You can't release them, as for whether you're screwed or not, it depends. If they want your land (and they probably do because they own some of the EC trade node) you're basically hosed. Otherwise they'll be happy to accept Independence and all the money you have (queue up a bunch of ships so that you don't have any!).

uninverted posted:

Spend fifty years at war, peace out for one day to hit the integrate button, then immediately go to war again until it finishes :getin:

Subjects can attack their overlords while they are at war.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I couldn't integrate them anyway since they're larger than me.

Luckily I picked up some land in the succession war against Austria, so I can hand it to them if they want it. Hopefully that should appease them in a peace deal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm pretty sure it's actually better to use the new Grant Province feature when feeding underlings because of the liberty desire reduction.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Eej posted:

I'm pretty sure it's actually better to use the new Grant Province feature when feeding underlings because of the liberty desire reduction.

I keep forgetting to mention it but yeah this is a very welcome new feature. Also the new system of dealing with natives for bonuses or simply being able to ignore them is fantastic and is a nice answer to the problem of needing some armies to guard your colonies and thus not being able to lower maintenance for your entire land force. Now you just set your policy so natives don't appear and colonize away. As a bonus that also lets you colonize as many provinces as you can afford no matter where they are because you won't need 5-6 little genociding conquistadors peacekeeping armies to watch over all of them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Eej posted:

Do they not get liberty desire reduction when you just give them that land in a peace deal? Huh.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sistergodiva posted:

So frustrating trying to play Byzantium. I got a loving 4/6 general and alliances with Aragon and Poland and still somehow got owned.

I was having a lot of fun as Byz last patch, but right now it seems almost impossible.

Are you restarting until Austria and Ottomans are rivals? If you don't do this it isn't impossible to succeed but you are setting yourself up for a tough road ahead.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

420 Gank Mid posted:

Are you restarting until Austria and Ottomans are rivals? If you don't do this it isn't impossible to succeed but you are setting yourself up for a tough road ahead.

I think it's exponentially harder now that you can't block the Bosporus. You have to hope the Ottomans just ignore you for years and years now, and somehow get themselves wrecked by Poland-Lithuania and Austria. No more declaring war on them while they are in Anatolia and using the fleet you've built with a couple dozen loans to take back Greece.

I don't like the change. I do understand that one cog blocking a hundred thousand troops from crossing a strait is silly, so there should be some kind of ratio of guns to troops taken into consideration when deciding if an army can cross a strait or not instead.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Node posted:

I think it's exponentially harder now that you can't block the Bosporus. You have to hope the Ottomans just ignore you for years and years now, and somehow get themselves wrecked by Poland-Lithuania and Austria. No more declaring war on them while they are in Anatolia and using the fleet you've built with a couple dozen loans to take back Greece.

I don't like the change. I do understand that one cog blocking a hundred thousand troops from crossing a strait is silly, so there should be some kind of ratio of guns to troops taken into consideration when deciding if an army can cross a strait or not instead.

There should be substantial crossing attrition, with all crossing blocked once it exceeds a certain threshold.

The attrition should be a function of who controls which sides, whether or not either province has a fort, and what the blockade power of the fleet in the strait is relative to the size of the army. 1 cog shouldn't block an army. 200 galleys and a fort should. Somewhere in between? That's where an army should be able to cross but suffer substantial loss of life. Right now there's no real provision for that - you can either cross or not. This rule change just dumps one more situation into the "you can cross" bucket.

Maybe there should just be a prompt. There is one for automatic transports already. Something to the effect of "The strait is not secure. Your army will suffer a loss of XX% of its force if it attempts this crossing. Do you wish to continue?"

Byzantium would no longer be guaranteed dead - instead, the war would depend on how much the Ottoman fort contributed to the attrition, how many galleys the Byzantines had, and how large the Ottoman army was. A small enough army and a large enough fleet could see a Byzantine victory, whereas a large army and a small fleet would see the reverse.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I still think they should just tie it to blockade %. It's a system already in the game and fairly intuitive. As it is right now is pretty confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It should be the other way around, where controlling both sides of a strait lets you block naval movement. Being able to sail the Spanish Armada through the Bosporus completely unhindered is a little silly.

• Locked thread