Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I recently started reading "The last wish".

Now I want to see the Story about Nivellen and Vereena play out as a quest. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Just whenever there's an option to say that somebody survived, say they survived to get extra content. Everything else is whatever.

I refuse to repudiate Sile de Tansarville exploding into a fine red mist under any circumstances personally.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Did she do something terrible in TW2? I remember her only as being quite a selfish rear end in a top hat but that's hardly an uncommon trait in this universe.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Did she do something terrible in TW2? I remember her only as being quite a selfish rear end in a top hat but that's hardly an uncommon trait in this universe.

She's the main mastermind behind the Lodge besides Philippa and she also tries to have Triss murdered.

Anyone else get the feeling in TW2 that if Phil hadn't been broken out of prison by Iorveth that Sile was just going to let her rot?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh yeah I know that but The Lodge is The Lodge, they're all doing the same poo poo anyways, always going after their interests. Philippa does some way worse stuff than Sile though or maybe it's just because Sile doesn't get much screen time in TW3. Anyway even when you have her survive TW2 the game just gives Geralt another chance to kill her and with much additional suffering.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 7, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What does the lodge do that's so bad? I don't recall if it comes up much with Roche or if I just don't remember. I do recall the conversation with Letho at the end a bit and how they're both like "gently caress this" if you do it peacefully.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd like to make most of the Lodge explode honestly.

RBA Starblade posted:

What does the lodge do that's so bad? I don't recall if it comes up much with Roche or if I just don't remember. I do recall the conversation with Letho at the end a bit and how they're both like "gently caress this" if you do it peacefully.

Everything bad in the setting that's not because of the Wild Hunt, Vilgefortz, or Emhyr is either partially or completely the Lodge's fault. Including the two most recent massive wars.

I could do a big spergy detailed summary of all the horrible poo poo they pull if you guys want I guess later.. On a purely personal note for the three main characters, highlights include gleefully waiting for Geralt to be assassinated, framing Yennefer for treason and for selling out Ciri, and trying to force Ciri to be Tancred Thyssen's concubine.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Palpek posted:

Oh yeah I know that but The Lodge is The Lodge, they're all doing the same poo poo anyways, always going after their interests. Philippa does some way worse stuff than Sile though or maybe it's just because Sile doesn't get much screen time in TW3. Anyway even when you have her survive TW2 the game just gives Geralt another chance to kill her and with much additional suffering.

I actually felt bad for her, the sorceresses much about with all kinds of espionage-esque poo poo, so I'm really not surprised at her trying to kill Triss. Sile helped me fight a monster together, so at the very least I figured I'd not let her get exploded, and then she gets it way worse and I have to do it myself.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rejoice, for the mod you have been waiting for has arrived, replacing all combat with Gwent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Sharmat posted:

I'd like to make most of the Lodge explode honestly.

Everything bad in the setting that's not because of the Wild Hunt, Vilgefortz, or Emhyr is either partially or completely the Lodge's fault. Including the two most recent massive wars.

Oh, dang. I'll make sure to be a poo poo towards them if I see them then. :v:

By the way, is the idea that the winds that come along with the Wild Hunt supposed to tie into the frozen apocalypse from the end of Witcher 1? Still pretty early on but that kind of pieces together in my mind.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I could do a big spergy detailed summary of all the horrible poo poo they pull if you guys want I guess later.. On a purely personal note for the three main characters, highlights include gleefully waiting for Geralt to be assassinated, framing Yennefer for treason and for selling out Ciri, and trying to force Ciri to be Tancred Thyssen's concubine.

Do it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ZearothK posted:

Rejoice, for the mod you have been waiting for has arrived, replacing all combat with Gwent.
Finally.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ZearothK posted:

my nightmare is a reality

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZearothK posted:

:aaaaa:

the video included is amazing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt believes in the heart of the cards.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, dang. I'll make sure to be a poo poo towards them if I see them then. :v:

By the way, is the idea that the winds that come along with the Wild Hunt supposed to tie into the frozen apocalypse from the end of Witcher 1? Still pretty early on but that kind of pieces together in my mind.
Yes. The game explains why a little ways in.

EDIT: To be fair some of my earlier Lodge comments technically refer to a couple of things Philippa did before the Lodge was offiicially formed. But given that the Lodge is at least in part made from the core female participants in the Thanedd coup from her faction (so basically the recurring names except Dethmold and his brother) I think it still counts.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 7, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does the Glyph of Reinforcement affect all gear or just the piece it's attached to?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZearothK posted:

I would never want to play the game this way.

But god damnit this mod makes me so happy and I'm so glad it exists. That's just beautiful.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Haha man this game is great. More like the Crimson rear end in a top hat.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

B-Mac posted:

Haha man this game is great. More like the Crimson rear end in a top hat.

As far as I'm concerned, not choosing that dialogue option should give you a game over and make you do it again to get it right.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

As far as I'm concerned, not choosing that dialogue option should give you a game over and make you do it again to get it right.

I think following the script is actually funnier. Geralt is so exasperated reading that crap.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I am confused about Alchemy. So you make things once, and they get refilled from your alcohol when you meditate. Ok, cool. What is toxicity, where do I find it, and how do I manage it? What is the difference between a decoction and a potion?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I am confused about Alchemy. So you make things once, and they get refilled from your alcohol when you meditate. Ok, cool. What is toxicity, where do I find it, and how do I manage it? What is the difference between a decoction and a potion?

Toxicity is that bar under your health that turns green as you drink more potions. If it gets too high, you start losing health. The higher your toxicity, the more potions you can drink without dying, basically.

A decoction is basically a super potion, made from mutagens of a specific beast. They give some bigger gameplay bonus and are much more toxic, but other than that, they're functionally the same.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Decoctions also last much longer.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Honestly, alchemy is very powerful but it's also very level gated in the sense that you can't go hog wild on potions until you invest a lot of points in that tree as most decoctions by default nearly max your toxicity alone. I'd recommend sticking to signs or melee trees, then later respeccing into alchemy to get the most out of it. Even with no melee skills with the right mutagens a potted up Geralt with a little sign support is extremely powerful.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Gwent mode is the definitive Witcher 3 experience IMO

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Woozy posted:

Gwent mode is the definitive Witcher 3 experience IMO

:agreed:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a question about the ending.

So, did Ciri stop the White Frost forever or was what she was facing at the end the Frost meant for that world? I never quite understood what that whole phenomenon was.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Jimbot posted:

I have a question about the ending.

So, did Ciri stop the White Frost forever or was what she was facing at the end the Frost meant for that world? I never quite understood what that whole phenomenon was.

Yeah this is what I'm asking with the added how did she even get back?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Butyraceous posted:

Yeah this is what I'm asking with the added how did she even get back?
She used her powers? I didn't think it really needed to be explained.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Sindai posted:

She used her powers? I didn't think it really needed to be explained.

My point being she had to specifically use the Conjunction of the Spheres to get there, so assumedly she couldn't get there herself, but she could leave herself?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is this something I'm gonna want to use a controller for or mouse keyboard

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just picked up this game on steam sale. Took me a very long time to get a feel of the combat system, I'm still mostly just spazzing dodge dodge chop chop dodge dodge without much strategy. I never have time to switch magic during combat so I mostly just stick with the shield spell because it keeps me alive. Also I feel deeply ashamed to be a male gamer almost every time a female character is on the screen. The lady with her tits just falling out of her "top" who screams and panics and needs a big strong witcher to protect her from rats (which she nags and demands you to do) but can face eldrich horrors no problem was some specially great character design.

Are there any ladies in this game that aren't strong sexy female game characters smoldering with angry attraction towards the witcher with hints at a past complicated romantic history? Everything else is pretty cool as far is super grim gritty fantasy goes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Butyraceous posted:

My point being she had to specifically use the Conjunction of the Spheres to get there, so assumedly she couldn't get there herself, but she could leave herself?

She got back before the Conjunction was over presumably.

Hope all the new monsters was worth it.

Baronjutter posted:

Are there any ladies in this game that aren't strong sexy female game characters smoldering with angry attraction towards the witcher with hints at a past complicated romantic history? Everything else is pretty cool as far is super grim gritty fantasy goes.
Yes, most of them.

Baronjutter posted:

Also I feel deeply ashamed to be a male gamer almost every time a female character is on the screen.

lol

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I thought I was about to finish the game so I look up a guide to see how far I'm into the main quest and it turns out I only just finished act 1 :eyepop:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So I finished the game + HoS last night. Probably one of the most riveting games I've played in a long time. I have very few criticisms overall.

I ended up with the 'bad' ending. Now I think it was a perfect piece of writing, perfect reaction to what happened. That said, when I found out the cause of that ending path were because of some rather odd discussion points (first and foremost is the 'you can't be good at everything' somehow translating into 'let's get poo poo-faced', I felt a bit betrayed as soon as that scene started to play out) I was a little disappointed. I wish the actions taken by Geralt at those points reflected the choices given to the player a bit more.

Combat could be better, and this is associated with how XP works. Towards the end of the game you run into piss-easy enemies and hard ones in areas very close to each other. I made it to lvl 38, but I don't see how you could possibly reach level 39 to use the Viper armour, hardly anything gives you any XP. That made a lot of combat a little boring. Most combat amounted to 'equip correct oil/potion, dodge and attack, repeat', I wish enemies were a little more varied.

Getting the 15000 last gold for the runesmith is going to be a royal pain, as is I'm having to hop around different vendors all over just to be able to sell my loot, and I'm hardly there.

I wish quest sorting was a little more straightforward, it'd be great to see the quests available near you on the map and their levels.

Other than that, excellent, riveting story, amazing graphics (seriously, amazing. Some of the views i.e. the scene with Yen at the top of the mountain, and some of the textiles in particular like Shani's red velvet dress that just looks real), relatively smooth gameplay.

My biggest gripe is that I'll have to wait for the next game/DLC! I bought Witcher 2 a while back but didn't get into it, this might give me the boost I need to try again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I just picked up this game on steam sale. Took me a very long time to get a feel of the combat system, I'm still mostly just spazzing dodge dodge chop chop dodge dodge without much strategy. I never have time to switch magic during combat so I mostly just stick with the shield spell because it keeps me alive. Also I feel deeply ashamed to be a male gamer almost every time a female character is on the screen. The lady with her tits just falling out of her "top" who screams and panics and needs a big strong witcher to protect her from rats (which she nags and demands you to do) but can face eldrich horrors no problem was some specially great character design.

Keira Metz is just like that. Her entire (pretty short) character arc is that she's a city mouse forced to live in the country due to the witch hunts and she's so desperate she'll do anything to go back to a life of luxury. And she'll make a potentially fatal mistake misjudging the extent of Radovid's madness unless you can figure out how to stop her. Peacefully. Because it's entirely possible to gently caress up her last dialogue and be forced to kill her yourself without letting Radovid's witchhunters stake her. She's a deeply flawed "femme fatale" out of her element and a minor character who plays up to most people's expectations of the Witcher series since the controversies from the first game have clearly plagued the franchise since. That dungeon is basically a third of her entire screentime so if she as a character doesn't agree with your sensibilities with regards to female representation you won't have to tolerate her for long.

You're also pretty clearly still in the first 5% of the story, hence why you might get reactions like:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I doubt the rest of the game is gonna be any better for him honestly.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Barnsy posted:

So I finished the game + HoS last night. Probably one of the most riveting games I've played in a long time. I have very few criticisms overall.

I ended up with the 'bad' ending. Now I think it was a perfect piece of writing, perfect reaction to what happened. That said, when I found out the cause of that ending path were because of some rather odd discussion points (first and foremost is the 'you can't be good at everything' somehow translating into 'let's get poo poo-faced', I felt a bit betrayed as soon as that scene started to play out) I was a little disappointed. I wish the actions taken by Geralt at those points reflected the choices given to the player a bit more.

It's pretty bad way to comfort someone in the first place. "I'm incredibly stressed about this thing I have to master or we could all die". Should I pick "I know one way to cheer you up" or "You don't have to be good at everything you annoying Mary Sue geez :rolleyes:" You brought it on yourself honestly. Especially since you have to gently caress up three times to get it.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

It's pretty bad way to comfort someone in the first place. "I'm incredibly stressed about this thing I have to master or we could all die". Should I pick "I know one way to cheer you up" or "You don't have to be good at everything you annoying Mary Sue geez :rolleyes:" You brought it on yourself honestly. Especially since you have to gently caress up three times to get it.

My expectation was that 'I know how to cheer you up' would lead to a lovely one-liner that would annoy her more than anything, and the 'you don't have to be good at everything' more in the sense of you are allowed to fail in life. If the options were instead 'go drinking' or 'snowball fight' my choice would have been much clearer. Oh well, just a small gripe for an otherwise awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri can't fail at that though, and she knows it. She's not trying to learn to play the piano or something. She has to learn to control these abilities or everything's hosed.

Barnsy posted:

My expectation was that 'I know how to cheer you up' would lead to a lovely one-liner that would annoy her more than anything.

Actually...I could sort of see how you'd get that impression, since Geralt only really shows any social skills during parenting. Still, you should have known better. Besides, Ciri knows her dad's a huge dork at this point and presumably is fine with that. We all make mistakes though. Those "ghost" sisters in TW2 on Roche's path fooled me my first time through.

What other ones did you screw up? I actually had Geralt go with her to the Lodge meeting the first time I played, and that's a point for the bad ending. I mean I get wanting to give her confidence and all, and I understand why it works that way when you see the other outcome, but it's Philippa loving Eilhart. It's not like Saskia couldn't take care of herself too. But look what happened to her. I got the others right though.