Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
so the FF7 remake is going to be sold in multiple parts

ahahahahahahahahaha I'm loving the schadenfreude already :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What schadenfreude?

Give me Midgar in 2017 and Cosmo Canyon in 2018, that's all fine if it means I can start playing before 2019 at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The Turks are another 'FF7 is weird' thing, they're bad people who do terrible things but after the 'real' threat is revealed they get relegated to comedy rivals/antagonists and have no real comeuppance apart from Tseng's death, which gets retconned anyway iirc?

Tseng wasn't actually killed, it was a translation error. (One of the ones they fixed in the PC port actually.)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder how long I'll have to wait f I want to only start FF7R when all the parts are done

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

In Training posted:

I wonder how long I'll have to wait f I want to only start FF7R when all the parts are done

Heat Death of the universe.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I hope they cut the bad tower defense part

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The mood here seems deflated after the reveal of the FF7 Remake's episode structure. I don't suppose anyone here expects a Starcraft 2 trilogy level of ambition with the new release setup. With Hitman 2016 and now the FF7 remake, I'm sure Square-Enix is trying out episodic releases in order to sell more season passes ensure its customers have a quality product.

In Training posted:

I wonder how many fully featured AAA RPGs will come out between the announcement of the FF7 remake and the actual release of the last episode? Mass Effect Andromeda? Cyberpunk 2077? Witcher 4? Elder Scrolls 6? Xenoblade 3?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You forgot FFXV and DQXI.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Electromax posted:

What schadenfreude?

Give me Midgar in 2017 and Cosmo Canyon in 2018, that's all fine if it means I can start playing before 2019 at all.

This. And seriously, the characters traverse the whole drat planet over the course of the game. That was possible with pre-rendered backgrounds, an abstract world map and 'towns' that had like 5 houses and a few scattered NPCs, but that stuff just isn't popularly accepted anymore. They'll have to do it for real, and the result is absolutely going to be several games' worth of content, so I don't mind paying for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FF7R being episodic makes perfect sense but the problem is that the fatigue of waiting is going to kick in real hard after the first one and it's going to tie up S-E's primary team up for a long time so they'll probably keep sliding it over to the B and C teams as it gets further in.

There's also a very real possibility that the gameplay won't evolve enough to keep it interesting over the years it will take, the graphics will probably age a lot during and if they don't they'll cause it to be aged at the start and not at the end. Also that the end of the game will probably be coming out in the PS5 era at this rate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

FF7R being episodic makes perfect sense but the problem is that the fatigue of waiting is going to kick in real hard after the first one and it's going to tie up S-E's primary team up for a long time so they'll probably keep sliding it over to the B and C teams as it gets further in.

Uh, FF7R is already the C team. Who do you think is working on FF15 and KH3?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's also a very real possibility that the gameplay won't evolve enough to keep it interesting over the years it will take, the graphics will probably age a lot during and if they don't they'll cause it to be aged at the start and not at the end. Also that the end of the game will probably be coming out in the PS5 era at this rate.

S-E is not doing this alone at least they have Cyber Connect 2 assisting them plus a few others they didn't mention. Unless that is what you mean by their B and C team?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

S-E is not doing this alone at least they have Cyber Connect 2 assisting them plus a few others they didn't mention. Unless that is what you mean by their B and C team?

Cyber connect 2 is the Dest of teams.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Cyber connect 2 is the Dest of teams.

Their Anime rear end CG cutscenes are probably some of the best in the business. :colbert:

If they are handling the cutscenes in the Game It would be dope as poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

They'll start remaking FF7R before they get to the end of it.

An endless gaming ouroboros.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

There are probably no internal teams of any kind to spare at Square-Enix. FFXV is a 300+ man effort being developed with several outsourcing companies helping the internal development team. KH3 is being worked on by Square-Enix Osaka with its share of outsourcing. DQXI and FFXIV are ongoing services that require significant amounts of staff to update and maintain. The various handheld teams have become mobile game development teams or added to AAA development teams.

Tae posted:

Uh, FF7R is already the C team. Who do you think is working on FF15 and KH3?

These guys:

Dexo posted:

Their Anime rear end CG cutscenes are probably some of the best in the business. :colbert:

If they are handling the cutscenes in the Game It would be dope as poo poo.

The recent interviews suggest CC2 is taking a more active role in developing the gameplay systems in the remake. They not only specialize in action games but also have experience developing episodic games with the .Hack series. It also makes sense to delegate some of the game design to partner studios if the SE staff is small and can't be on-site all the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sunning posted:

These guys:

You're all right, Sunning.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Onmi posted:

Yes but on the one hand they also did the Tomb Raider games (however you feel about those) on the other hand, they also did Deus-Ex HR.

so you know, Teams.

Tomb Raider (the reboot) was A Good Game

Excels posted:

FFIX never got ported to PC because it didn't have a PC version to start with, while the others did. The ones that only had mobile ports just got those on Steam. IX wasn't on pc or mobile so a steam port will probably never happen :(

PCs have enough oomph now that they could just stick an emulator wrapper on it and ship it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

PCs have enough oomph now that they could just stick an emulator wrapper on it and ship it

Emulation isn't just a case of PC power. A lot of emulators are trying to replicate weird poo poo and even with modern computers you can run into the problem of poo poo just not playing well.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Have they said how many episodes they're breaking it up into?

Like I wonder where they decide to break each part. They'll need a end boss for each episode too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just remake FFIX wholesale, please.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They have said nothing about amount of episodes, length, cost, whatever. As far as we know, everything is up in the for debate until someone staffed and Square says something and even that might get changed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I'd be happy with it being a little portable title and maybe not being on such a grand scale remake as FFVII.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Golden Goat posted:

I'd be happy with it being a little portable title and maybe not being on such a grand scale remake as FFVII.

FF7,8 and 9 redone with SNES-style sprites.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pureauthor posted:

We can remember it for you wholesale

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My honest assumption is that the first episode will be an expanded Midgar.

Midgar itself is, in the original came, fairly straightforward and linear with little off the beaten path. By adding in sidequests or additional content you can beef it up to a 15-20 hour experience without too much trouble. It has a wide variety of situations, introduces a lot of the core cast, and the final shot of everyone leaving Midgar is an appropriately dramatic place to leave the game off on. Midgar itself is a large accessible area that can very easily be expanded upon with a lot of mentioned areas never actually seen in the game, as well as areas themselves which were not very fleshed out.

It also gives them more time to work on things like party swapping, a world map, how they want to handle things like Chocobo Breeding/Racing, ect, ect. They can spend the first game working on the combat system and general development of the game and then the later episodes can expand upon it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It would be interesting to see what life was like for people that lived on top of the plates in Midgar.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
it sounds a little bit too much like what disney is doing with star wars. we're going to get "supplementary" DLCs about random characters as standalones you have to buy between major "episodes"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Midgar itself is, in the original came, fairly straightforward and linear with little off the beaten path. By adding in sidequests or additional content you can beef it up to a 15-20 hour experience without too much trouble. It has a wide variety of situations, introduces a lot of the core cast, and the final shot of everyone leaving Midgar is an appropriately dramatic place to leave the game off on. Midgar itself is a large accessible area that can very easily be expanded upon with a lot of mentioned areas never actually seen in the game, as well as areas themselves which were not very fleshed out.

It also gives them more time to work on things like party swapping, a world map, how they want to handle things like Chocobo Breeding/Racing, ect, ect. They can spend the first game working on the combat system and general development of the game and then the later episodes can expand upon it.

Yeah, that'd make the most sense. They'd still have to do (or skip) the motorcycle minigame though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Nail Rat posted:

fort condor owns gently caress you

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that'd make the most sense. They'd still have to do (or skip) the motorcycle minigame though.

if you think of it that way, the motorcycle minigame will be completely expanded into its own epic finale with the flame-spewing armored tank outta nowhere getting a significant buff to become a moderately challenging "final boss" of the midgar arc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

It'll be the first reactor and end at the scorpion boss.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Episode 1 - First reactor bombing.
Episode 2 - Second reactor bombing.
Episode 3 - Corneo
Episode 4 - The plate falls.
Episode 5 - Shinra Tower... part 1.

There's a sick and twisted part of me that wants it to be that kind of episodic split just to see the nuclear fallout.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

Episode 1 - First reactor bombing.
Episode 2 - Second reactor bombing.
Episode 3 - Corneo
Episode 4 - The plate falls.
Episode 5 - Shinra Tower... part 1.

There's a sick and twisted part of me that wants it to be that kind of episodic split just to see the nuclear fallout.

An entire episode of Don Corneo :allears: If only

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That would be kind of awesome if each episode came out once a week or something

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
An entire episode of climbing stairs.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mycot posted:

An entire episode of climbing stairs.

I remember that Cowboy Bebop.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder how long the whining about this will last

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wendell posted:

I remember that Cowboy Bebop.

Hey mister, this here's the stairway to heaven

Bad mushrooms

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

They should get with the times and replace that with a bad MOBA part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The logical break points in my head for episodes would just be where the disc swaps are but I imagine that's a little huge for what episodic releases typically are.

Watching people poo poo their beds and say stuff like "the company died with SquareSoft" is entertaining though. :munch: