Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nonentity posted:

Well, I thought it was an appropriate name, given that I designed that color based on the first appearances of Luke's Graflex saber.

Nice. Do you do armor sets in addition to mounts/color crystals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HebrewMagic posted:

No disagreement there, dude.

That's properly reportable, isn't it? Been a while since i tried to get someone banned for being mean to me but I feel like "racism" is a box you can tick under the report menu

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

Well, I thought it was an appropriate name, given that I designed that color based on the first appearances of Luke's Graflex saber.

Oh, I got the reference. I always liked the old "cyan" crystals because they remind me of that scene. I'll be interested to see how this new one compares.

With all the fancy crystals on the market these days it kinda seems like the old blue, green and red are being lost in the shuffle. It's nice to see a new crystal coming out that looks a little more traditional. Thanks for that!

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

So I am interested in checking this game out, but it seems the referral link in the OP is broken, takes me to a 404 on the game's website. Is this true for anyone else?

Edit: Nevermind. Found out they temporarily disabled it.

madcow fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 7, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Actually I think the problem is you're not earning enough XP. Sort of like how you don't typically earn enough money if you only work four hours a week.

SWTOR is a videogame, not a job. Playing it should not resemble work.

If they wanted me to do the planetary quests on every character they should have made the stories unique for every character. And I'm too immersed in the class story to want to run a second, much lamer questline concurrent with it on every planet anyway.

Are there any Imperial heroics that aren't just being a destructive dick to people by murdering hazmat crews trying to remove toxic waste etc.?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

sassassin posted:

Are there any Imperial heroics that aren't just being a destructive dick to people by murdering hazmat crews trying to remove toxic waste etc.?

There's the one on Nar Shaddaa where you murder force sensitive aliens to keep the bloodlines pure.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

sassassin posted:

If they wanted me to do the planetary quests on every character they should have made the stories unique for every character. And I'm too immersed in the class story to want to run a second, much lamer questline concurrent with it on every planet anyway.

If you want more XP I'd suggest you check out things like Flashpoints and Warzones. PvP at lower levels is chaotic, fun, and even with mediocre gear you wont really run into many people that completely outclass yours. Queuing up rarely takes long and can be done while you're questing for something to break up the pace a bit and see more of the game. Doing the pvp missions (which you can finish without ever winning if that's what you're worried about) is great XP and flashpoints would regularly level my character 2-4 times before we were done.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

420 Gank Mid posted:

break up the pace a bit

See, this would be a bad thing. I'm enjoying the Sith Warrior storyline and am finding it very well paced on its own.

It's frustrating to have to stop playing the story because I've arbitrarily hit a point where my character is 5 levels below local "madmen" on Belsavis and I can't hit them (4 levels is fine).

Not sure I care for this Chapter 3 Emperor's Wrath nonsense, though. The concept comes out of left field and your character just bows to it instantly. Becoming Darth Baras' "loyal" apprentice was built on the guy having your nuts in a metaphorical vice, and felt like you could work against him to a certain extent.

This feels like taking orders from chronic fuckup Var Suthra all over again, when my own drive for revenge should take centre stage, and I have a crew full of evil masterminds that could point me in the right directions.

I have other characters that I like better mechanically for other game-modes. Marauder was a bad choice.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Does anyone know if there is a list / google doc / what have you, of the various armourings, mods and enhancements that come from end game gear? I'm trying to track a half-dozen Advanced Initiative Enhancements and a few other bits and bobs and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel, if this information already exists.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Alter Ego posted:

Nice. Do you do armor sets in addition to mounts/color crystals?

I only do mounts and mount VFX, weapon and weapon VFX, color crystals, some rest and recharges, log mounts... Some concept art. Some environment art, like most of the monitors in game and holotrees. Some cinematic VFX.

No in game armor stuff.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

See, this would be a bad thing. I'm enjoying the Sith Warrior storyline and am finding it very well paced on its own.

It's frustrating to have to stop playing the story because I've arbitrarily hit a point where my character is 5 levels below local "madmen" on Belsavis and I can't hit them (4 levels is fine).

Not sure I care for this Chapter 3 Emperor's Wrath nonsense, though. The concept comes out of left field and your character just bows to it instantly. Becoming Darth Baras' "loyal" apprentice was built on the guy having your nuts in a metaphorical vice, and felt like you could work against him to a certain extent.

This feels like taking orders from chronic fuckup Var Suthra all over again, when my own drive for revenge should take centre stage, and I have a crew full of evil masterminds that could point me in the right directions.

I have other characters that I like better mechanically for other game-modes. Marauder was a bad choice.

Becoming Wrath is basically them saying 'congratulations! You are now Vader so go choke some fucks and do whatever you want'. It completely frees you from the control of any other Sith (including the Dark Council) save the Emperor himself, who is conveniently absent.

In terms of just playing the class story to level you are both too late and too early for it. They had it set so you would level solely off of that over Summer up until the expansion and are planning it again over Christmas for a couple of weeks, I believe, so at the moment the bare minimum to level appropriately is class story + key planetary quests. If you've been skipping the purple planet missions then yes, you're going to be lower level than you should be for later planets. Of course you could just hit a few flashpoints for some easy xp which will bolster you and your gear appropriately regardless.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

nonentity posted:

I only do mounts and mount VFX, weapon and weapon VFX, color crystals, some rest and recharges, log mounts... Some concept art. Some environment art, like most of the monitors in game and holotrees. Some cinematic VFX.

No in game armor stuff.

Can I get a lightsaber that looks like a candy cane/barber pole? :pray:

(p.s. Please make the log mount fly.)

More seriously: it seems like all the monitor screens are showing things that have been on monitor screens in the movies. (This is just an observation, not a criticism.) How restricted are you when you're putting those together?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

sassassin posted:

I can understand your frustration just wanting to run class quests to level and it is of course fine to voice your opinion but the fact of the matter is that bioware set it up this way and there is really no way around it.

My suggestion is (assuming you do another character) is to do the introduction to pvp and group finder quests as soon as you get off the starter planet and are on the fleet. Gives you a bunch of XP and took me to level 25 or so. I also enjoy the space missions on your ship, adds a decent amount of XP.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

B-Mac posted:

I can understand your frustration just wanting to run class quests to level and it is of course fine to voice your opinion but the fact of the matter is that bioware set it up this way and there is really no way around it.

I have to admit, the 12x period spoiled me a bit, too. There are times I just want to crank out a new stealth guy to farm crates, but it's not as easy/simple/fun as it was back then. They might have been just a tad too generous with us. :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you don't want to run bad guy quests probably don't make your character one of the bad guys.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

prefect posted:

I have to admit, the 12x period spoiled me a bit, too. There are times I just want to crank out a new stealth guy to farm crates, but it's not as easy/simple/fun as it was back then. They might have been just a tad too generous with us. :)

Yea I missed all of the 12x XP but it does sound nice. I think they are doing a double XP event sometime this month. I enjoy doing some FP and PVP right after the starter planet, get myself to around 30 or so and forget about having to do anything but class quests after that point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

If you don't want to run bad guy quests probably don't make your character one of the bad guys.

So play Empire instead. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The thing is, this game has a metric gently caress ton of content while leveling. In the beginning you had to do it all in order to be in line with your class story. They spent millions making the content, they wanted you to see it. Now you so your class story and the planetary storyline and you get more than enough experience - you're doing less than half the available content and staying at level.

As everyone is saying, the game gives out more than enough experience and thanks to level sync you'll never outlevel content even though you might be 60 by there time you start Belsavis. If you don't want to do the planetary storyline, there are a bunch of different ways to supplement your class XP. PvP, flashpoints, Heroics.

This is a subscription based game, they don't want people actually playing the game. Because you don't want to play the game, it doesn't mean the game doesn't give out enough xp.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

The Light Side Sith character is cool and good, though.

Of course everything I've been telling Jaesa about changing the Sith from the inside is just a lie to get her on my ship, just like my unfailing deference to Darth Baras was just so he wouldn't choke me to death over the phone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would probably have done more sidequests if I gave a drat about the Empire. Unfortunately I don't understand the war between the OT Imperials and PT Republic because I've watched the movies and therefore know they are the same thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

You can't be forever. Eventually to level you have to do a heroic, flashpoint or planetery quest where your objectives are just all evil.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Of course everything I've been telling Jaesa about changing the Sith from the inside is just a lie to get her on my ship, just like my unfailing deference to Darth Baras was just so he wouldn't choke me to death over the phone.

The more I sassed Baras, the more Vette liked me and the more fun Baras became. I love that miserable bastard. :allears:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

You can't be forever. Eventually to level you have to do a heroic, flashpoint or planetery quest where your objectives are just all evil.

Challenge accepted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man I just saw what the current exploit is that's hopefully getting fixed tomorrow. I can't believe anyone would actually do it and expect to not get banned. Unlimited common crystals.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Oh, I got the reference. I always liked the old "cyan" crystals because they remind me of that scene. I'll be interested to see how this new one compares.

With all the fancy crystals on the market these days it kinda seems like the old blue, green and red are being lost in the shuffle. It's nice to see a new crystal coming out that looks a little more traditional. Thanks for that!

The red/black color crystal is really good, but sadly behind a rep vendor. I'd really love a burgundy or other deeper red crystal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eimi posted:

The red/black color crystal is really good, but sadly behind a rep vendor. I'd really love a burgundy or other deeper red crystal.

I actually just learned the schematic for the power version of this by reverse engineering an old Rakata weapon I had floating around. :D

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

sassassin posted:

I'm not saying it IS work, just that there is an effort/reward thing just like every game ever. Like you can't save the princess if you don't feel like making Mario jump. You have to beat one level to see another. You do stuff, you get stuff. It's, you know, interactive. Especially with an RPG the idea that you need to power up a little bit before you continue is so fundamental that it's a weird thing to complain about. If you just want to see a story without doing anything, I recommend watching TV.

Anyway, yeah, the class stories are fun, but just like every single person here has said, there are SO MANY options for getting some quick XP when you need it. Like if you're so into the storyline, you should be doing the solo-mode flashpoints in between chapters, and finding out what else is going on in the galaxy, so you have a better context for your character's story. If you do the whole Revan storyline around level 30 or so you will get a fuckton of experience and get a cool adventure while you do it.

That's just one quick example. This game has so much goddamn content they had to start hiding it just so people wouldn't get overwhelmed!

If you really, really, REALLY want to do a class story straight through without interruptions of any sort, just do the newbie planet, then before you even go to the capital world, take some time to build up a decent level buffer. Do the first flashpoint (again, it is part of the main story), then do some heroics for a little while. You don't just get XP from those, you get money and good gear. Bring a friend and you get more. If you set aside one play session for this, you can buff up your character ridiculously. You can easily hit level 30-something before you go to the capital world. You'll have a decent set of gear, a good stockpile of money and data crystals, a bunch of new abilities and some practice at using them. (And you might actually have fun, too. The quests are fun.) From there you can cruise through the entire rest of your class story feeling like a badass, and your level will never be an issue again. If at some point you feel undergeared, oh hey, you have a shitload of data crystals and you can buy a whole new set.

My point is you don't have to be constantly jumping back and forth from your immersive main storyline to doing lovely side-quests. You just take one break towards the beginning to power up, and you're set for the entire rest of the game. And you don't do it by "working" you do it by having awesome space adventures, which is hardly the same thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
All good advice except doing the Revan flash points at 30. I wouldn't wish that garbage on anyone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You have to beat one level to see another.

I have beaten Belsavis. I have to go and do unrelated content before I can go do Voss.

If I hadn't been getting ~155% xp for my whole playthrough I wouldn't have gone this far. Quests don't give enough xp.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

sassassin posted:

I have beaten Belsavis.

No, you haven't. You've beaten your class quest on Belsavis, which is about 20% of the content there and comprises 50% of the necessary experience to progress. It's simple math and you are bad at it.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 7, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

I have beaten Belsavis. I have to go and do unrelated content before I can go do Voss.

If I hadn't been getting ~155% xp for my whole playthrough I wouldn't have gone this far. Quests don't give enough xp.

Is this your first MMO ever or something? Holy poo poo.

If this is your first character, all the quests should be new to you and worth doing once. I've been following a flowchart that shows what order to do the content to see the story chronologicaly and none of it has felt like grinding or having to step away from the story. You're just being stubborn or trolling at this point.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I dunno how obstinate about deciding your own storyline in an MMO you gotta be, but like my experience in the non-12x leveling grind has been pretty loving smooth at just doing Class Quests + Heroics for every planet, while murdering basically everything in my way.

I guess if you avoid all killing, don't do heroics and just try to edge around everything that's actually playing the game to get to quest objectives, or worse you're one of those loving shitheads that follows behind someone the whole time while they kill everything, then snag their quest objectives and you just spend your whole game time doing that sort of business, yeah you're gonna end up underleveled.

But the flashpoints ARE part of the story and so are the planetary quests and you'll have the fun advantage of being overleveled when you get through each planet instead.

IMO, I think it's set up right now that you can pick planet or heroic quests and one or the other scoots you off the planet at least 2-3 levels ahead of where it used to be when you literally had to pick the bones clean on every single planet if you wanted to avoid the group content and even then there were some spots where grinding warzones was better than doing some of those goddamn quests.

end of the day, it's still an MMO, and the idea that you get a customized experience for 100% of the game is absurd. You get a unique class story with voice acting through the whole thing for 8 distinct classes. That's better than literally any other MMO on the planet even still. The idea that you have to go through a mostly identical set of quests on each planet for each character willfully ignores the idea that no matter what class you are, the story's about you and that every time you do it, it's a new Hero of the drat Galaxy coming through for the very first time, like any other MMO.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Verranicus posted:

If this is your first character

It is not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Telex posted:

I guess if you avoid all killing, don't do heroics and just try to edge around everything that's actually playing the game to get to quest objectives, or worse you're one of those loving shitheads that follows behind someone the whole time while they kill everything, then snag their quest objectives and you just spend your whole game time doing that sort of business, yeah you're gonna end up underleveled.

This is the kind of rampant exaggeration that leads me to distrust anything else you might say.

I have played through the Sith Warrior storyline in a manner faithful to the narrative provided me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FordPRefectLL posted:

No, you haven't. You've beaten your class quest on Belsavis, which is about 20% of the content there and comprises 50% of the necessary experience to progress. It's simple math and you are bad at it.

Your maths refer to the game as it is. Mine refer to the game as it should be. Neither of us are bad at mathematics.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

It is not.

Looking back, it seems like your other classes were republic, which means you haven't done an empire class before.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Man you're just being stubborn and obtuse now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

B-Mac posted:

Man you're just being stubborn and obtuse now.

Legitimately crazy was always my guess.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

sassassin posted:

This is the kind of rampant exaggeration that leads me to distrust anything else you might say.

I have played through the Sith Warrior storyline in a manner faithful to the narrative provided me.

Well I haven't figured out what sort of shenanigans you're trying to force yourself to avoid in order to stay under leveled.

If you're interested in being honest with everyone, they can probably tell you where you're loving it up.

Because you're loving it up if you're ending up with less XP than you need to go from planet to planet.

My Bounty Hunter was overleveled for Belsavis, finished Voss at L49 and I hit 51 before i finished Corellia, so you're definitely deciding somewhere that you WANT to be underleveled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

nonentity posted:

There are now.

I cannot wait for this oh man.

Did you get my email, by the way? Never got a response.

• Locked thread