Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

:woop: Cygnus is on its way to the ISS!

Tide posted:

Anyone able to run a carfax?

If you try to combine these two posts, it sounds like an LEO-based craigslist posting about a hit-and-run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

If you try to combine these two posts, it sounds like an LEO-based craigslist posting about a hit-and-run.

"One used booster stage for sale, slightly used, just needs some hydrogen and oxygen and she'll start right up. Bring a trailer.

Also: I have a second stage parked in orbit. Go get it and I'll sign the title over"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

mariooncrack posted:

Which Versa hatch? I really liked the old Versa hatch before the redesign into the Versa Note. That is a lovely car.

If your friend finds a Honda Fit and likes it, she should probably buy it. They don't seem to last long on the car lots.

You guys got the lovely versa in the US- Australia got an MR18DE 1.8L Twincam and 6 speed manual version. Missus has one and we've stuffed some tokico blue shocks under it and its a hoot to drive hard.

Standard nissan build quality tho...

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

meatpimp posted:

That's good! I have no idea whether the random site that said it was auctioned is correct or not. If the Autocheck is right, then it looks legit... someone just put a poo poo-ton of miles on it in a year.

That's good, because to have that many miles, you need to be doing mostly freeway, which is the easiest of miles.

That's definitely good. It says in the listing on the dealer site that its clean on autocheck. I figured that was a good thing when I saw it but didn't have any way to confirm it. I'm assuming that autocheck is basically the same thing as Carfax.

I have a hard time understanding how a person can trade in a car after only a year. If it's legitimately a poo poo car, maybe. But to buy new and eat that depreciation just seems silly. That particular Fusion looks immaculate in the photos and if it had a history of mechanical issues I dont think my brother would want it on the lot. Perhaps if the owner has that much disposable income and a severe case of automotive ADD it would be something to do. At least keep it until its paid for, jesus. Personally, when I buy a car I'm in it for the long haul, hence my 11 year old Pontiac.

I haven't even seen that car in person yet. It looks like the closest thing to my style that's on my brothers lot right now. I don't necessarily have to buy from there if I don't want to but I'd like to take my business to him because family. He takes care of the whole families car needs and he's never done anybody wrong that I know about. I bought my GTP from him about nine years ago and it was a solid car up until the last couple years when it started succumbing to its age.

If anyone has a few minutes to check out the inventory on his lot, http://www.wernerbrosauto.com/inventory feel free to point out anything that looks like a bargain that I may have overlooked. I still have a glimmer of hope that my GTP will be worth repairing and it won't matter in the end.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

The Mazda as mentioned is lighter, has better steering feel, handles better, and isn't banned by SCCA as a rollover risk. It also has a great shiftier action (let down by a weird clutch feel).

Is there a fix for the clutch feel yet? Like a different master/slave or something?

I'm planning on getting one and it's literally the only complaint I've heard about it. Seems like it should be fixable though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Probably a flywheel will fix it. Basically, in 1st, just give it more revs and it's fine. The clutch is fine over all, just starting out in 1st is a bit embarrassing from time to time.

I don't regret owning mine; it was an awesome car.

e: keep in mind, the Mazda2 isn't banned by the SCCA for a roll over risk despite raising it's rear wheel off the ground on a regular basis. :iia:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

If anyone has a few minutes to check out the inventory on his lot, http://www.wernerbrosauto.com/inventory feel free to point out anything that looks like a bargain that I may have overlooked. I still have a glimmer of hope that my GTP will be worth repairing and it won't matter in the end.

I know Nissans aren't the most popular cars around here but this might be worth checking out:

http://www.wernerbrosauto.com/vehicle/185016246

I drove a '07 Altima for years and my dad has it now. No major issues and it's fine for a commuter car. This would be might be close to your GTP. Nissan likes to advertise the Maxima as a "four door race car" for what its worth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

Is there a fix for the clutch feel yet? Like a different master/slave or something?

I'm planning on getting one and it's literally the only complaint I've heard about it. Seems like it should be fixable though.

Dunno. I've gotten really used to it.
Also, my other car is a subaru 5-speed so even a tractor would seem like an improvement in transmission feel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Made slut spaghetti for dinner tonight.

I don't eat capers, black olives, or anchovies...and I destroyed a full dinner plate of it. Jesus gently caress was that delicious. Wife is super impressed too, so yay.

Almost 30 and still finding new foods to eat that I thought I hated.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

I know Nissans aren't the most popular cars around here but this might be worth checking out:

I drove a '07 Altima for years and my dad has it now. No major issues and it's fine for a commuter car. This would be might be close to your GTP. Nissan likes to advertise the Maxima as a "four door race car" for what its worth.

4 Door Sports Car to be precise.

Which is ridiculous. The Maxima is a family sedan and the last couple iterations drive like one. With that said, I love my '08 Maxima. Comfortable, roomy, powerful and has a drat good stereo.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The last cool ones were the special 02-03(?) ones that came with the VQ35, 6 speed manual, and a helical LSD. I would love one for a DD!
Super unassuming.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

happy holidays from the Takk family

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know where i can get a Bugatti Veyron diecast that isn't junk and shipped from China? Preferably before christmas?

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

that is such a nice dog, gawd drat son.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

Dunno. I've gotten really used to it.
Also, my other car is a subaru 5-speed so even a tractor would seem like an improvement in transmission feel.

I have an 09 or 10 Impreza loaner one time and it actually had a fantastically smooth clutch and great shift feel. I was surprised, as I had an 03 WRX before which was not really anything special in those regards!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

that is such a nice dog, gawd drat son.

Thanks! He is the best boy :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

leica posted:

Anyone know where i can get a Bugatti Veyron diecast that isn't junk and shipped from China? Preferably before christmas?

What scale? Bearing in mind everything's made in China the 1:18 stuff is pricey for a toy or gag gift but not junk.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

mariooncrack posted:

I noticed that car. Theres a bunch of Altimas of various colors and flavors on his lot too. The maxima is pretty drat nice. Definitely getting out of my price range though and I just don't feel any love for the Nissans.

I've been cruising Craigslist for cars I've always liked. Seems like Volvos are the bargain of the century. Considering what they sold for new you can find some pretty sweet examples for not much money. I saw this one that I like...

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/5332971684.html

Can anybody give me a super quick tutorial on what to look for and what to avoid with the fairly modern Volvo?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I stop nearly anything involving cars* for a few years, and now I check out WRC and its full of Hyundais and Volkswagens. What the hell is going on? I stopped watching because of Loeb, and now I see that Russian kid that couldn't stop crashing, and Lattvala still in second or third place.

*Except I bought and am fixing 323 GTX #4, but that is a thread for a later date.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Seriously, its been a long time!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man somehow I got you mixed up with CommieGIR, dunno how that happened.

Also I've been meaning to ask, were you originally babyhitler or was that some completely different poster?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, poo poo :(

Some colossal shitheel rammed my car sometime during the weekend while I was away.The timing seriously couldn't be any worse, with Christmas coming up and a 150km gift-transporting drive ahead of me. And obviously the monumental rear end in a top hat in question didn't even bother to leave a drat note or anything.

And I only just had it fixed after some other shitheel rammed me in traffic a few months ago :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't know why, but my rating on Doordash has taken a serious beating this week. Went from a 4.93 rating to 4.68.

e: just checked again. dropped to 4.67 since my last check a couple of hours ago. what the gently caress is going on here?

I'm guessing people are rating the food itself, or didn't understand what they ordered, or something? I double check every order, always get flatware and napkins (even though Doordash specifically tells customers that they need to request it if they need it), and 99% of the time I show up at least 20 minutes before the quoted time (and when I know I'm cutting it close, I contact the customer and let them know I may be running a little late). I've never been able to use the service myself (since for some bizarre reason they don't deliver to my neighborhood, but they deliver to literally every subdivision and city around me?), so I have no clue. I can't even get their "support" to answer texts, phone calls, or chats when poo poo goes pear-shaped (I got kicked out of chat 3 times in a row for being "inactive" Saturday night when it kept saying "There are 41 people ahead of you in the queue, please wait" when I had an issue with an order).

4.68 doesn't sound like much of a drop, but it can affect my ability to bid on shifts. :fuckoff:

I also got denied partial unemployment for two reasons. #1 was "not responding" (I called them back several times after they tried to call me, and could never reach a human, and the voicemail greeting when I tried to call back stated at the very beginning not to leave more than one message, ever, and to never try to follow up - serious WTF there, but I left two voicemails), #2 is because I "quit for personal reasons" (bullfuckingshit, I still have the texts from my former boss firing me via text, and him stating specifically that I was fired for going to the ER on the clock - and yes, I do have screenshots).

Can't say I'm in a great mood. Hulk smash, or some poo poo. Just hoping Amazon starts giving me more shifts, and if that falls through, I should be able to pass a UA in about 2 weeks for any other job. There's several courier companies hiring locally, and the Ionry is in good enough shape that I would drive it to Canada and back without thinking twice. Just got new tires, brakes are about 6 months old, battery is <6 months old, serpentine belt is a bit over a year old, fuel pump is less than a year old, just got an oil change, has fresh coolant and a new thermostat, and all of the recalls have been done. The only thing it needs anytime in the next year or so is a serpentine belt tensioner, and it'll probably need a clutch by this time next year. Hoses probably wouldn't hurt, but all of them are still soft.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 7, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

You guys have officially sold me on Rick & Morty. Show owns :allears:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Tusen Takk posted:

God jul, Fin Bikkje.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doing a little bit of sleuthing based on the mirror parts left behind by the other driver, I have determined that the culprit was driving an F20/F30/F31 BMW. Given that the mirror left behind is silver, but the paint left on my car is blue, it is probably a taxi or some other car wrapped in foil, unless for some reason BMW has started producing two-tone cars.

I'm quietly debating with myself whether I should call up all the local taxi companies and ask them if they have had any cars with missing side mirrors come into the depot during the weekend.

E: Maybe it was an M135i or some other civilian non-taxi BMW:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 7, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My girl loves rubbing my freshly buzzed head as much as I love gving dogs belly rubs.

Happy Monday, time to give my two weeks notice.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for the small car advice, I'll pass it on to her. She'd be picking up a automatic so the lovely clutch feel in the Mazda 2 wouldn't be an issue. Offered to teach her manual before she moved but she had too much other stuff stressing her out. e/n poo poo:gently caress I'm going to miss her even though we only dated for a couple months and knew she was moving going into it. Move date seemed so far off then suddenly she was packing up stuff and moving. Oh well it was great fun while it lasted and we were able to spend a decent amount of time together this weekend. Now back to the poo poo of online dating:fuckoff: or maybe just wait until the holidays are over.

KozmoNaut posted:

Some colossal shitheel rammed my car sometime during the weekend while I was away.The timing seriously couldn't be any worse, with Christmas coming up and a 150km gift-transporting drive ahead of me. And obviously the monumental rear end in a top hat in question didn't even bother to leave a drat note or anything.

And I only just had it fixed after some other shitheel rammed me in traffic a few months ago :(
drat people suck :(

Tusen Takk posted:

:3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Man somehow I got you mixed up with CommieGIR, dunno how that happened.

I don't either, he doesn't have an Audi :colbert:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Doing a little bit of sleuthing based on the mirror parts left behind by the other driver, I have determined that the culprit was driving an F20/F30/F31 BMW. Given that the mirror left behind is silver, but the paint left on my car is blue, it is probably a taxi or some other car wrapped in foil, unless for some reason BMW has started producing two-tone cars.

I'm quietly debating with myself whether I should call up all the local taxi companies and ask them if they have had any cars with missing side mirrors come into the depot during the weekend.

E: Maybe it was an M135i or some other civilian non-taxi BMW:

gently caress that sucks. Not many CPH taxis are BMWs though. Care to post the part numbers? Maybe it was a new Mini?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

doordash horror story
Do they allow you to see what sort of feedback you're receiving, or is it just "shape up, slave!"?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Seriously, its been a long time!

Welcome back. I visited Japan in October and inspected many Daihatsus on your behalf.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I noticed that car. Theres a bunch of Altimas of various colors and flavors on his lot too. The maxima is pretty drat nice. Definitely getting out of my price range though and I just don't feel any love for the Nissans.

I've been cruising Craigslist for cars I've always liked. Seems like Volvos are the bargain of the century. Considering what they sold for new you can find some pretty sweet examples for not much money. I saw this one that I like...

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/5332971684.html

Can anybody give me a super quick tutorial on what to look for and what to avoid with the fairly modern Volvo?

The transmissions are usually the most troublesome part in that generation of Volvo but if you test drive it and it shifts well (no delay going into gear, no flaring, no harsh or delayed shifts) it should be fine as long as you change the fluid regularly. There are a couple electrical modules that can fail and the replacements have to be coded to the car by the dealer. Since that one is AWD keep in mind that the transfer case, propshaft, and control module are several hundred dollars each just for parts if they fail. On the basic maintenance front, that one is due for a timing belt ASAP if it hasn't been replaced-the interval is every 10 years or 100K. It's a $1K job at most shops so you might use that as a bargaining chip.

Newer Volvos depreciate like mad because they released some lovely products around the turn of the millennium and they're really expensive to repair if you have a shop do the work. Mechanical repairs are pretty straightforward if you want to work on it yourself but anything requiring software has to be done by the dealer or a shop with the Volvo diagnostic software.

If you save some money for emergency repairs and stay on top of the preventive maintenance they're pretty pleasant cars to own. They're reliable but they don't handle neglect like a Camry or Accord. If you take care of it it should last to 200K miles, at least.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

gently caress that sucks. Not many CPH taxis are BMWs though. Care to post the part numbers? Maybe it was a new Mini?

Good point, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a taxi, since foil probably wouldn't transfer color like that.

Here's the sticker on the outer shell of the mirror:

And here's the one on the mirror itself:

"20200540" is the part number I used to identify the mirror as belonging to a BMW. The corresponding left side mirror is "20200539".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Good point, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a taxi, since foil probably wouldn't transfer color like that.

"20200540" is the part number I used to identify the mirror as belonging to a BMW. The corresponding left side mirror is "20200539".

I wonder if you have enough information to track down a VIN :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

Thanks! Happy holidays from the pimp family!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

What scale? Bearing in mind everything's made in China the 1:18 stuff is pricey for a toy or gag gift but not junk.

Either 1/43 or 1/24 under $50. I don't care if it's made in China, but if it's shipped from China it won't be here by christmas, and it seems like everything i can afford online is being shipped from china. Nobody in the states has anything in stock I guess :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KozmoNaut posted:

Leave this info with the cops and all the nearby dealers/shops with instructions to contact the cops if any car comes in for this

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Thanks! Happy holidays from the pimp family!

I'm jealous of you treehavers-my partner and I decided not to put ours up this year. We got a couple of kittens a few weeks ago and the way they get into things they'd probably climb up into it and tip it over in the middle of the night. :(

At least they're cute:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nodoze posted:

Leave this info with the cops and all the nearby dealers/shops with instructions to contact the cops if any car comes in for this

You're so cute when you're being naive.

Already tried that, no one cared.

(All nearby dealers/shops would cover at least 70 or 80 dealerships and garages, just in the Copenhagen area. And none of them give a poo poo)

• Locked thread