Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me the weight of an iPad Pro plus the box and adapter? Just figuring out my hand luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Athletic Footjob posted:

Can someone tell me the weight of an iPad Pro plus the box and adapter? Just figuring out my hand luggage.

All packaged up it weighs 1.16kg.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

All packaged up it weighs 1.16kg.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Played with the pro tonight at the Apple Store. It seems way too big for me but I could see the appeal for people looking for a laptop replacement. The only appeal of the size for me would be for comics, but I'm such an in frequent reader it's not worth it. Other than photography (which I do use a wacom tablet for) I'm not artist but the pencil was great. Granted I have a low end wacom bamboo, but it felt much better than that and almost identical to a real paper and pencil/pen.

Right now my iPad 4 is semi-retired. It still works fine but I find I use it less and less since I got an iPhone 6s+ and a MBP. I used to use it a lot for couch web surfing/facebooking, but now the phone is big enough where I don't care. I also used to use it for photo edits on the road and light administrative work (emails, paying bills, etc..) but now that I have a laptop again, I'd rather do that stuff on the mac. I think I'm mostly just keeping it around for watching movies on flights because it's about the perfect size for that.

After playing with the pro, I got to thinking about how awesome it'd be if the mini (and to a lesser extent the standard) iPads had pressure sensitive screens. They would be the perfect paper note book replacement. Maybe I'm just an odd ball person, but I generally prefer to write notes down on paper with a pen for school, work, and personal reasons. Typing has its place, but I generally prefer to hand write when I'm brainstorming, talking with a person face to face, or at a meeting/lecture. In my backpack I have a like four paper notebooks. A couple for myself, one for school notes, and one for work notes. It would be nice to have them all in one place and archived digitally. Also, sketching diagrams and what not seems to be a lot easier with the digital tools (like the ruler that acts as a straight edge). Being able to do all that plus watch tv/movies would make me really want a new iPad. I just need something easier to carry around with than the pro.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

The only appeal of the size for me would be for comics
Yeah, but it's soooo, so good for comics. I've never read comics in my life and I've just blasted through 2 series.

Also how hard can it be to make more pencils??? Still waiting on mine and I ordered it a month ago. :/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't believe I'm asking this here, but....

My dad cracked his iPad screen. I've never done a repair for it before but I'll take a stab at it. What's the best kit for it? Are there any special tools needed? Any good "how-to" I should check out?

And lastly, any goons here do the repair for cheap?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't believe I'm asking this here, but....

My dad cracked his iPad screen. I've never done a repair for it before but I'll take a stab at it. What's the best kit for it? Are there any special tools needed? Any good "how-to" I should check out?

And lastly, any goons here do the repair for cheap?

iFixit is the go-to place for thorough tear downs and repair instructions with tons of quality photos.

They also sell all of the parts and tools you need. Not the cheapest, but more trustworthy than random eBay sellers.

You didn't say which iPad, but they rate the original as "difficult." Look through their walk through before you pay for parts.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks! Yeah I'm not ordering a thing until I get the serial from him so I know I'm getting the right stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks! Yeah I'm not ordering a thing until I get the serial from him so I know I'm getting the right stuff.

It's a super picky, terrible repair. If you're committed and it's like an iPad 2, I would seriously just save yourself the 13 hours of torment as you carefully heat glue and apply guitar picks only to destroy some microscopic internal part and buy him a new used iPad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

It's a super picky, terrible repair. If you're committed and it's like an iPad 2, I would seriously just save yourself the 13 hours of torment as you carefully heat glue and apply guitar picks only to destroy some microscopic internal part and buy him a new used iPad.

Turns out it is an iPad 2. I looked at the guide and yeah I'm not doing it. I'm terrible at doing delicate stuff like that. I suggested a new used iPad but I think they'll just take it to a local place and try to have it repaired.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Turns out it is an iPad 2. I looked at the guide and yeah I'm not doing it. I'm terrible at doing delicate stuff like that. I suggested a new used iPad but I think they'll just take it to a local place and try to have it repaired.

Those sell for <$200. I would be surprised if a shop charges less. I hope they don't get fleeced.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Those sell for <$200. I would be surprised if a shop charges less. I hope they don't get fleeced.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure they just get an estimate before having any work done.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm 99% positive that it will be more cost effective to just get him an iPad Air 1 or previous-gen Mini (not too old, they're kinda weak)- maybe refurbished if you really wanna save.

I commend the consumer responsibility that your parents are showing by getting it repaired but an iPad 2 is just so far behind in terms of basically every spec that it's actually a worse experience to use now because the software is so much newer. Even a two year-old Air has exponentially more power with which to run an OS and apps. And this is before you touch on the retina display, better battery, and lighter weight.

I can't see spending $250 or whatever on a repair justifiable when Airs were going for roughly the same amount last weekend.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure they just get an estimate before having any work done.

For dad? I seriously suggest you just buy him a refurbished iPad Air and sell his old one as is on eBay. I'd be happy to kick in some of the cost of a refurb Air 16GB if it saves you the hassle of dealing with that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

For dad? I seriously suggest you just buy him a refurbished iPad Air and sell his old one as is on eBay. I'd be happy to kick in some of the cost of a refurb Air 16GB if it saves you the hassle of dealing with that.

The iPad Thread- We crowdfunded some random goon's Christmas in lieu of letting his parents suffer the indignity of repairing an iPad 2 (it doesn't even have a retinaRetina display!)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The iPad Thread- We crowdfunded some random goon's Christmas in lieu of letting his parents suffer the indignity of repairing an iPad 2 (it doesn't even have a retinaRetina display!)

P sure they have the same dad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kaizoku posted:

P sure they have the same dad.

this

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I've got an iPad 2 and a 3 kicking around if anyone wants to buy me upgrades!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Whoops.

Happy holidays goon siblings.

I'm sure mom and pop are super proud.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i still use an ipad 1 on a daily basis

well, at least my kids do for netflix and stuff.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

iPad1? Someone call CPS on this guy Jesus Christ.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Man, do you also make them fetch water from the local cholera hole? :gonk:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

One month into owning the iPad pro with the Logitech create keyboard. The pro and pencil are absolutely amazing. My MacBook Air and Wacom cintiq are gathering dust.

Not loving the create keyboard though. The keyboard itself is very well made, it's just very heavy and adds a lot of heft to the unit. It is also incredibly difficult to get off the iPad once you have it on. I think I'm going to return it and wait for better keyboards to come out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 9.2 is out!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Endless Mike posted:

iOS 9.2 is out!

What's new on it?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

e.pilot posted:

What's new on it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All new broken app compatibility!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

REVOLUTIONARY :captainpop:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The only thing that's changed is everything!

Not noticing a huge change, but I didn't have any of the problems listed in the change notes, so...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Music resumes playing on its own after exiting the camera app now on my phone, that's nice.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Decided to pick up the pro, smart keyboard and pencil on Monday. It seems pretty nifty. I've spent more time drawing music than picture with the pencil so far. I've found that twitch does picture in picture mode which is pretty cool (not sure why the youtube app doesn't support it yet).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pencil is back in stock on Best Buy with ship to store saying it should be ready for pickup by next Tuesday if anyone is still hunting for one. Just put my order in.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Devian666 posted:

I've spent more time drawing music than picture with the pencil so far.
Wait, you mean like a scoring app? If so, mind linking it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wait, you mean like a scoring app? If so, mind linking it?

Good Notes has a template for music notation. And it's Pencil aware. I'm sure there are others out there that have the same kind of paper templates (Notability doesn't)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Devian666 posted:

Decided to pick up the pro, smart keyboard and pencil on Monday. It seems pretty nifty. I've spent more time drawing music than picture with the pencil so far. I've found that twitch does picture in picture mode which is pretty cool (not sure why the youtube app doesn't support it yet).

You can pin the ESPN app as well, which came in handy this last weekend with all the college games. Pin the video stream and keep up with all the poo poo talking in the NCAA Football thread. And have another game on the TV.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For Christmas this year, my family is buying my grandparents an iPad Air 2, to replace their original iPad. Since their iPad is so old and running a very old version of iOS I presume, will I be able to help them migrate over to the Air via iTunes backup, or is it so old that it'll basically be starting fresh?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

For Christmas this year, my family is buying my grandparents an iPad Air 2, to replace their original iPad. Since their iPad is so old and running a very old version of iOS I presume, will I be able to help them migrate over to the Air via iTunes backup, or is it so old that it'll basically be starting fresh?

It really depends on what they have on it.

Also, can an OG iPad backup to iCloud? If so, that would be my recommendation, and probably the easiest solution.

Any (still existing) App Store apps should transfer regardless.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

For the love of your sanity, get their appleID and password sorted out like, now, then write it down and do all the logging in and setup for them. I would bet you an Air 2 that they don't know their credentials and if left to their own devices will setup a new account or run a circular gauntlet of bogged down phone support until NYE.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It really depends on what they have on it.

Also, can an OG iPad backup to iCloud? If so, that would be my recommendation, and probably the easiest solution.

Any (still existing) App Store apps should transfer regardless.

This I don't know the answer to; I'm hoping so, but also hoping that they have anything set up correctly is...not a good thing to hope for.

tuyop posted:

For the love of your sanity, get their appleID and password sorted out like, now, then write it down and do all the logging in and setup for them. I would bet you an Air 2 that they don't know their credentials and if left to their own devices will setup a new account or run a circular gauntlet of bogged down phone support until NYE.

Yeah I'll be home for the full week after Christmas, so part of my gift for them is going to be getting everything set up before they I fly back home. Full restore (or as much as possible), setting up TouchID, getting all their apps back on and working the way they want as well as any new apps (apparently Pinterest doesn't install on their device?) installed. I've learned my lessons as the family "tech guy" over the years, no way I'm going to let them try & do it on their own, plus they're way too polite to call me if they run into any problems and like you said would be waiting on hold for weeks trying to get anything fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah figure this poo poo our sooner than later.

One tip if you have to use iTunes, if you encrypt the backup it saves logins and passwords and stuff, otherwise they’ll be signed out of every app that needs it and have to remember all that stuff on the new iPad.