Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Loading the game turned all my mods off, so loading NMM, turning all the mods on, then closing NMM, then setting the appdata local plugins.txt to read only worked.

I can't seem to find appdata. So I need to find that, and then there's a file called plugins.txt in there I need to change to read only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HogX posted:

I can't seem to find appdata. So I need to find that, and then there's a file called plugins.txt in there I need to change to read only?

you can just put "%appdata%" in the location bar in the file explorer and it'll take you to the close to right place

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

HogX posted:

Its hidden by default.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Azhais posted:

you can just put "%appdata%" in the location bar in the file explorer and it'll take you to the close to right place

Kea posted:

Its hidden by default.

Okay went to appdata, but there's no fallout4 folder there. How do I show a hidden file?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HogX posted:

Okay went to appdata, but there's no fallout4 folder there. How do I show a hidden file?

The fallout folder isn't hidden, the appdata folder is. I think %appdata% takes you to "AppData/Roaming" by default, fallout is in appdata/local, so go up a directory, find local, find fallout4

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

HogX posted:

Look for the folder called Local, and fallout4 should be in there. To show hidden files in windows click view at the top and check the "hidden files" box.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Ah found it, changed it to read only. thanks!

edit: now it's read-only, NMM can't manage it. Is it still gonna work if I just launch it through steam instead of NMM?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

HogX posted:

Ah found it, changed it to read only. thanks!

edit: now it's read-only, NMM can't manage it. Is it still gonna work if I just launch it through steam instead of NMM?

If it has the full list of mods you want in it it will work fine, if it doesnt make it non read only, set it up with NMM then set it to read only before you launch the game.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Yeah, I do what I need to do with NMM then set it to read only, if I need to add a mod or change the load order I change it back to read/write, then when I finish with NMM again, change plugins.txt back to read only.

[edit] I thought if you told NMM to manage your plugins.txt, it would set it to read only every time you close NMM?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there a working version of mod organizer for fallout 4 ? I can't seem to find a link anywhere.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a Gatling Gauss Rifle

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
No spoilers please, I haven't started playing:

What is "regional level scaling" and how annoying is it, compared to e.g. Oblivion.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

PirateBob posted:

No spoilers please, I haven't started playing:

What is "regional level scaling" and how annoying is it, compared to e.g. Oblivion.

Regions have set levels that enemies scale between, say 1-20, if you enter a region it will "set" that region to that level permanently, so in some regions the scaling is 20-90, enter at or below level twenty and enemies will always be level twenty there. It isn't really a big deal unless you decide to run as far south as you can straight off the bat,

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To add on to the above, the minimum level that a region can be tends to be very low, which is why I use mods like Adjusted Encounter Zones. I've heard certain mid-to-endgame areas can have a minimum level of like, 6. Which is cool if you aren't concerned about difficulty and just want to play at your own pace.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What does Adjusted Encounter Zones do?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kea posted:

Regions have set levels that enemies scale between, say 1-20, if you enter a region it will "set" that region to that level permanently, so in some regions the scaling is 20-90, enter at or below level twenty and enemies will always be level twenty there. It isn't really a big deal unless you decide to run as far south as you can straight off the bat,

Yeah, as long as you don't go too far south of Diamond City right away you'll be fine, and the game helpfully puts little skulls next to enemies that are way over your level so you'll have some warning even if you wander a bit afield

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

PirateBob posted:

Adjusts the encounter zones to be higher level.

Im currently playing a new run through with High_Scale which makes all enemies 10 - 50 levels higher than the player, I also use Removed Rubberbanding, so there are no set level zones, combined with damage overhauls and survival difficulty this makes it a tough game, but I am enjoying it now, lvl 11 so far.

Here are the mods I am currently using. and as I said Im having a good time.

code:
Additional Shop and Guard position variants
Adhesive Recipes
Any Mod Any Weapon
Arbitration
Armorsmith Extended
Better Commando - Better Automatics - Better Miniguns
Binary Speech Checks
Bulk Utility Recipes
Casing drop cash register sound replacer
Cell Respawn Timer
Component Tagging Helper
Craftable Ammunition
Craftable Cooking Oil
Craftable Guns and Weapons
Craftable Vertibird Signal Grenade
Craftable Weaponry
Create Your Own Survival Rebalance
Customize Legendary Enemy Spawning
Customizeable Power Armor and Jetpack Drain
Deadlier Turrets
Disable Minuteman Radiant Quests
Easy Hacking
Easy Lockpicking
Essential Professor
Expanded Settlement Buildings
Free Weapon Downgrades
Full Dialogue Interface
Generator - Fusebox
Gil Elvgren - Pinup Better Pictures v2.0
Hey Thats Not Junk
High_Level_Scale
Homemaker - Expanded Settlements
Improved Map with Visible Roads
Improved Workshop Lights
Increased Settler Population with Infinite Settlement Budget
Legendary Modification
Less Loot and Ammo
Lone Wanderer - Perk Rebalance
Longer Power Lines
Lowered Weapons
Mo Betta Scrap
More Realistic Handmade Pipe Weapons
Mortal Settlers
My Dog Don't Whine
No Limb Regen
No Negative Affinity
No Perk Level Requirements
NX Pro Farming
OCDecorator
Pre War Safes
Purified Water to Dirty Water
Quieter Settlements
Realistic Moon
Remove rubberbanding (Free Scaling World)
Robot Model Display Stand
RPAR - Raider Power Armor ReForged
Scrap scrap
Scrappable Legendaries
Scrounger Fixes
Settlement Supplies Expanded 2.5 - Safe SSEx
Shaikujin's Better warning for settlements being attacked
Simple Intersection
Star Wars Blaster Laser Rifle (SFX)
Towbie's Realistic Weapon Sounds
True Storms - Wasteland Edition (Thunder-Rain-Weather Redone)
Value per Weight indicator for container UI
Wattz Powerful Generators and Water Pumps
Weapon Damage Overhaul

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 7, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

PirateBob posted:

Sorry, I got lazy and didn't link: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4078/

LumberingTroll posted:

Adjusts the encounter zones to be higher level.

Im currently playing a new run through with High_Scale which makes all enemies 10 - 50 levels higher than the player, I also use Removed Rubberbanding, so there are no set level zones, combined with damage overhauls and survival difficulty this makes it a tough game, but I am enjoying it now, lvl 11 so far.

I've thought about doing this. So basically everyone will always have a skull next to their name? Theoretically everything will always be stronger than you, at all times, right?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've thought about doing this. So basically everyone will always have a skull next to their name? Theoretically everything will always be stronger than you, at all times, right?

Not always but most of the time, it does set the area to what level you are when you first get to it, that part cant be removed, but because things spawn within 10 - 50 levels of that point its not so bad.

I updated my previous post with all the mods I am using.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Kea posted:

Does the game not refresh this after a while, or am I running into mega bandits in heavy armor in earlier areas due to quests?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does the game not refresh this after a while, or am I running into mega bandits in heavy armor in earlier areas due to quests?

I think some areas are just plain set with tough enemies. The first time I noticed this was Lexington having an enemy with power armor and a Fat Man at the entrance to the first raider hideout you're meant to stumble into, and another person confirmed that he appeared on his game as well.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I think some areas are just plain set with tough enemies. The first time I noticed this was Lexington having an enemy with power armor and a Fat Man at the entrance to the first raider hideout you're meant to stumble into, and another person confirmed that he appeared on his game as well.

Confirmed, also think behemoths spawn in lexington at later levels iirc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They do and it owns. Was walking on an overpass and heard some stomping, looked around, and in the distance a behemoth was ruining a raider's day.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babe Magnet posted:

They do and it owns. Was walking on an overpass and heard some stomping, looked around, and in the distance a behemoth was ruining a raider's day.

In my experience the behemoths get owned by fatman sniping raiders every time they spawn in the city

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Azhais posted:

In my experience the behemoths get owned by fatman sniping raiders every time they spawn in the city

Last time I was there it was fighting about 20 ghouls and winning. May have been raiders, pretty sure it was ghouls.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
D.E.C.A.Y. (Better ghouls)

Someone decided to make the ghouls just downright "nope", so to speak. Looks really well done.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

That description is retarded.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It suits you well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao watch out dudes, zombies in videogames, how could bethesda taint an idea so central to the Fallout game series

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

right arm posted:

That description is retarded.

quote:

If you're new to the Fallout franchise, having only been around for Fallout 3/4/NV, then, I'm sorry to break it to you. But there are things Bethesda revised in the lore, and you don't know enough about it. Ghouls used to be basically the Fallout version of zombies. That was the whole idea behind them. They were fleshed out on, having quantifiable degrees of sapience and so on. But all in all, they were always meant to be radiation zombies. If you play the older titles, then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, and, if you haven't, then, how does your opinion really matter?

:laffo:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah man they've always been mindless rotting zombies. They could never have a city or anything in the old fallout games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you like radiation zombies with noses and skin instead of radiation zombies without noses and skin, you're basically subhuman and should swallow a frisbee ASAP

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

to be fair, it looks like he just misunderstood the whole Necropolis/Set/undead tomb city thing slightly into the wrong direction

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Seems like a cool mod, but that guy is a huge retard

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Apparently that mod gives the ghouls terrible new sounds and like 1 entire death sound shared between them all lol

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

scamtank posted:

to be fair, it looks like he just misunderstood the whole Necropolis/Set/undead tomb city thing slightly into the wrong direction

Necropolis is for dead people and tombs are for dead people so clearly they are dead zombies.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

randombattle posted:

Necropolis is for dead people and tombs are for dead people so clearly they are dead zombies.

So where's my Tomb Raider mod?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Delsaber posted:

So where's my Tomb Raider mod?

I'm sure someone has uploaded a "Lara Croft" savegame.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Babe Magnet posted:

Apparently that mod gives the ghouls terrible new sounds and like 1 entire death sound shared between them all lol

That's a bummer. The textures look cool and are more in line with what I'd expect the feral ghouls to look like, but loving with the sound design for them is weird. I guess the dude needs to fulfill his "vision" or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

They look way too juicy. Ghouls ain't supposed to be juicy.

• Locked thread