Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Given the marginal price difference, why take the chance?

I agree with you, but my dad is trying to save money in really weird ways. He was complaining about paying hundreds of dollars for a phone that might not even work in a year, while he's still using the S3 he got in November of 2012.

I think they are both getting the 2gb model, but I was just curious just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I agree with you, but my dad is trying to save money in really weird ways. He was complaining about paying hundreds of dollars for a phone that might not even work in a year, while he's still using the S3 he got in November of 2012.

I think they are both getting the 2gb model, but I was just curious just in case.

If he's really that concerned about money the Alcatel Idol 3 is $150 and decent.

Edit: price is for the cricket locked model.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 7, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If he's really that concerned about money the Alcatel Idol 3 is $150 and decent.

Edit: price is for the cricket locked model.

Concerned enough that he was going to buy a Galaxy Grand Prime for $30. Now I'm not so certain he shouldn't have though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've been an iPhone guy since the beginning, and I will continue to be, but I just got my first Android device, a Dell Venue 8 7000. ($200 on Cyber Monday, couldn't pass that up.) I'm really impressed with it. I could use help with something here. I've got a 4GB microSD card (temporary), using it to store ROMs and ISOs for emulation. The folders for the different systems were originally synced to the device's internal storage using Cheetah Sync, and then moved to the SD card using ES File Explorer after I realized I needed that extra space. Problem is, I can't see any of those files or folders when the device is connected to my Windows 10 system.

The file system goes like: \ROMS\N64\. I see ROMS, but N64 and the others simply don't show up. Now, if I make the folder from Windows, they will show up; I've got PSP and NDS folders that are fully functional. The Android OS has no problem seeing anything.

What am I dealing with here? All I'm seeing on Google are mentions of using tools to 'refresh' the SD card inside Android, but this is all because of Kit Kat; I'm running Lollipop.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the 1gb version bad even if you're only doing calls, texts, emails, and occasionally Youtube?

At 1 GB on Android 5, unless the system and background load are light (and if there's an OEM framework or the user likes apps that didn't come with the phone, it won't be) apps will get knocked out of RAM on the regular, and not in a good way.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I got my Nexus 6 yesterday ($199 on Amazons Black Friday deal), and am absolutely in love with the size of it. It took me all of 10 minutes to get comfortable with it. I like the wireless charging too.

I really miss the active display of my '14 Moto X though. I keep waving my hand over the Nexus expecting the display to light up, but now I actually have to manipulate the Nexus to use it. If anything, now I really can't wait for next years Moto X.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Did anyone buy a Nexus 6P and was happy with the screen? Looking at it at a very specific 90 degree angle was fine but if I rotated the screen and/or angled the screen I saw a lot of color temperature change and coloring weirdness (pink/green). It wasn't specific to brightness. I went through five of them before giving up. I know people will cry "...but it's AMOLED" but the current Samsungs I looked at in stores didn't have this issue and neither does my Nexus 6.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
On my 6P I can notice a slight bit of color temperature change (cooler) when tilting the phone along the x-axis (in vertical orientation), but it's very slight and not bothersome because I will never be looking at something for which it might remotely matter (e.g. photos) at that angle. Tilting it at other angles leads to no noticeable change.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

codo27 posted:

I finally got a Z3c as I loving hate large phones, but wanted decent specs still. There has to be something wrong with it. I got it second hand, but it looked immaculate, the guy still had the box and had a few cases which he said it spent all its life in, and the condition of the phone seemed to corroborate that. I thought the 20mp camera would be a noticeable upgrade from my S5 (yes I know mp aren't everything), but honestly it more reminds me of my original Galaxy S. Without flash the quality is terrible. With it on it isn't much better. This just doesn't seem right to me. Thoughts?

Are you using Sony's camera app? What resolution setting? No experience with the Z3c, but for the Z1c you got way better pictures at the 8MP auto setting than the 20MP setting.

In the Z1c app it was called "Superio Auto", I think.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boner Wad posted:

Did anyone buy a Nexus 6P and was happy with the screen? Looking at it at a very specific 90 degree angle was fine but if I rotated the screen and/or angled the screen I saw a lot of color temperature change and coloring weirdness (pink/green). It wasn't specific to brightness. I went through five of them before giving up. I know people will cry "...but it's AMOLED" but the current Samsungs I looked at in stores didn't have this issue and neither does my Nexus 6.
Mine has a slight blue tint as you angle it which gets more pronounced based on the angle but I can't say I really notice it or it bothers me. After about 45 degrees there's a bit of rainbow banding but why would I ever look at it from such a stupid angle? The visibility in sunlight is acceptable but nothing more, certainly worse than the N5 and N5X. Overall I prefer the panel on my old N5 but the 6P is totally fine and a huge improvement over the old GNex-era AMOLED panels.

Note also that I use it in sRGB mode, not sure if that makes a difference.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 7, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Boner Wad posted:

I went through five of them before giving up.

Holy poo poo that's some dedicated level of sperg

I mean after like 2 i'd have figured 'oh I guess that's just what the screen is like', maaaybe a third to double check

But fuckin' 5? drat

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to get a KitKat phone to shut up about updates? I recall that there used to be a way to enable/disable it or check manually but can't find the options now anywhere.

Now it just tries to download it every time I'm on wifi, then I either cancel it, it fails because of lack of space, or successfully downloads and asks to start installation. It's super annoying and ruins the battery life and traffic allowance on my company phone when I'm using it as a hotspot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there any way to get a KitKat phone to shut up about updates? I recall that there used to be a way to enable/disable it or check manually but can't find the options now anywhere.

Now it just tries to download it every time I'm on wifi, then I either cancel it, it fails because of lack of space, or successfully downloads and asks to start installation. It's super annoying and ruins the battery life and traffic allowance on my company phone when I'm using it as a hotspot.

You can open up the play store and hit the menu button and in the settings there's disable updates, set it to update only on wifi, or set it to update anytime. You can also go to each app you have installed in My Apps and hit the menu button to disable automatic update checks on a per app basis. If you have something stubborn you can always go to the main phone settings -> apps and disable the google play store, but that tends to be extreme.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

You can open up the play store and hit the menu button and in the settings there's disable updates, set it to update only on wifi, or set it to update anytime. You can also go to each app you have installed in My Apps and hit the menu button to disable automatic update checks on a per app basis. If you have something stubborn you can always go to the main phone settings -> apps and disable the google play store, but that tends to be extreme.
Pretty sure that post is about OS updates.

And the answer is no. Well, the answer is actually to update your phone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it's about the OS update.

I'd let it update too but I'm leaving for a trip soon and don't want to mess with backup, rooting and other crap. Thanks for the tip though :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Opinion rewards has asked me the same survey 10 times in a row now, every couple days, asking me if I've been to a certain store recently (I haven't, it was 4 months ago). Made over a dollar and a bit off this so far :psyduck:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I've gotten a bunch of very similar 10-15¢ surveys recently too.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

SouthLAnd posted:

I got my Nexus 6 yesterday ($199 on Amazons Black Friday deal), and am absolutely in love with the size of it. It took me all of 10 minutes to get comfortable with it. I like the wireless charging too.

I really miss the active display of my '14 Moto X though. I keep waving my hand over the Nexus expecting the display to light up, but now I actually have to manipulate the Nexus to use it. If anything, now I really can't wait for next years Moto X.

I know right? I have two Moto Gs (well, one's from Europe, one from US) and comparing the Nexus 6 which cost more or less the same (factor in the 32gb micro SD card) and it's insane how much better the Nexus 6 is. Better screen/battery/speed, it just doesn't compare. I used to have a Note 4 as well (got stolen which is why I bought the Moto G) and I'm liking the Nexus 6 so much more. Basically I feel sorry :( for anybody who was looking for a ~$200 phone and didn't get this Nexus deal.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google Opinion rewards has asked me the same survey 10 times in a row now, every couple days, asking me if I've been to a certain store recently (I haven't, it was 4 months ago). Made over a dollar and a bit off this so far :psyduck:

Seems like driving near a store is enough to get it to ask if I've been there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

Seems like driving near a store is enough to get it to ask if I've been there.

Great, I drive/walk by the store that it's bugging me about every day but never go inside, so I guess I'm doomed to this purgatory now.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

CLAM DOWN posted:

Great, I drive/walk by the store that it's bugging me about every day but never go inside, so I guess I'm doomed to this purgatory now.

Start saying yes you went to that store, double your money.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

Start saying yes you went to that store, double your money.

I read that Google tracks historical poo poo and will know when I'm lying and I'm scared of Google hating me please don't hate me I'll be a good data slave

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Is there a way to turn off the ability to power off the phone or change volume from the lock screen? Maybe I'm just paranoid but wouldn't it be possible to somehow trigger the power button and then change the volume or turn off the phone by accident?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes it's about the OS update.

I'd let it update too but I'm leaving for a trip soon and don't want to mess with backup, rooting and other crap. Thanks for the tip though :)
Sounds like you're rooted already, in which case you can just use Titanium Backup to freeze the updater. Depending on the phone it's usually called Software Update or System Update or SDM or sometimes just Update

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

I read that Google tracks historical poo poo and will know when I'm lying and I'm scared of Google hating me please don't hate me I'll be a good data slave

Step inside the store and be the best data slave.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure how I feel about Google revving the version number on Android primarily to release new emojis.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Google revving the version number on Android primarily to release new emojis.

Why do you care. Also, there's some other minor poo poo too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why does the poo have a face :argh:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Skarsnik posted:

Why does the poo have a face :argh:

So I don't have to type the word 'pooface' when I need to call someone that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google may or may not think I'm lying because I answered yes to going somewhere, but I wasn't sure which day I went on the followup question. :ohdear:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got a 6P and I just slapped my nanosim from my AT&T HTC One M8 into it and it works, do I need to call AT&T for anything?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there any way to get a KitKat phone to shut up about updates?

mobby_6kl posted:

It's super annoying and ruins the battery life and traffic allowance on my company phone when I'm using it as a hotspot.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm the rooted company phone that has been denied updates.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

isndl posted:

Google may or may not think I'm lying because I answered yes to going somewhere, but I wasn't sure which day I went on the followup question. :ohdear:

Nah. It might weigh your data less because it's harder to verify, but unless you're totally a regular at Kelp's Water Park or something it's not going to start holding a grudge against your data or anything. Bad for business.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got a 6P and I just slapped my nanosim from my AT&T HTC One M8 into it and it works, do I need to call AT&T for anything?

You might want to stop into an actual AT&T store to get a SIM that can do Voice Over LTE.

If it says authorized reseller or basically anything other than AT&T, run away.

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm the rooted company phone that has been denied updates.

A company that don't hand out iPhones to he employees

A shameful company

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

A company that don't hand out iPhones to he employees

A shameful company

As IT dude who has to babbysit the org phone contract, Iphone or die.

e: And let me be crystal clear: My personal phone and preference is android. Do not come at me unless your org is 300+ continually rotating phone flavors and you use one master profile for all of them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Google forgot to tell anyone, but Android 6.0.1 is backporting the 5X/6Ps double-tap-power camera shortcut to every Nexus device :)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

bull3964 posted:

The issue is legit, but there are sites out there to help you weed out the bad ones. Really though, just buy Anker and you'll be fine.

I did also just get a two pack of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0151...6cFL&ref=plSrch

Initially they weren't compliant, but the Google engineer that exposed all of this worked with the manufacturer to fix then.

Get that if you need it now, get this if you can wait: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111787929784

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Radbot posted:

Get that if you need it now, get this if you can wait: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111787929784

I bought one of those and it was completely useless

It had all the build quality I'd expect of something that cheap

E: also loving lol at all the fake reviews of it

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 7, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

bronin posted:

Is there a way to turn off the ability to power off the phone or change volume from the lock screen? Maybe I'm just paranoid but wouldn't it be possible to somehow trigger the power button and then change the volume or turn off the phone by accident?

This is theoretically possible but I've never managed to do this and I've been using Android since the Dream days. Also you can change the volume even with the screen off, so I don't see how that would help. And powering down would take such a strange combination of bullshit that you should probably buy a lottery ticket that day too. You're far more likely to accidently hold the power button for 5+ seconds which can't be disabled (barring root maybe I guess) since that's a failsafe feature for phones you can't battery pull.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

bull3964 posted:

they're doing god's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm so angry about emoji