Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I always summon npcs because I'm really lonely and like the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Simply Simon posted:

I actually had this revelation when watching a friend play for the first time. He played DS2 exactly how you should not play Dark Souls - like an action RPG where you can just run around and massacre guys.

I actually feel like this is precisely how the souls games are designed to played - the kicker is you can't really do it your first time through, because your first run is more like a survival horror game where you're lost, a bit confused, and afraid to die. But aggressive shieldless runs are so fun and enemies just fold over. There's nothing quite as ridiculous as the DS1 great scythe, but I reckon sprinting into a golf swing comes pretty close.

hampig fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 7, 2015

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

flowinprose posted:

There are times when summoning an NPC in Dark Souls 2 makes a lot of sense.

In my opinion the following are the most helpful:
1) Jester Thomas against Mytha, because he can easily solo the boss fight.
2) Benhart against the Giant Lord (at bonfire intensity 1, assuming you can get him to survive the walk through the other giants and the statue head).
3) Pilgrim Belclaire against the Ruin Sentinels. Once again can almost solo the fight, especially if you distract the sentinels while she mows through them with soul spears.
4) Vengarl and/or Benhart against the Throne Defender/Watcher. They can make this fight go much easier by distracting one or both of the bosses.
5) Sellsword Luet against the Lost Sinner. Helps distract the boss, particularly valuable in NG+ when you have to fight the extra phantoms that spawn.

Note that none of these are DLC fights.

Elana, as well. Having one (not two, one) NPC helps dealing with her pulling Velstad. Don't do it for Sinh, though, because he'll decide to go on a non stop bombing run if you bring some friends. :stonk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, don't summon for Sinh. Neither summon does noticeable damage to him and his HP goes through the roof if they're around. (Also Sinh is really easy if you don't lock on.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I found Sinh way easier with a summon, since I could often get into his flanks for safe damage when he landed :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I found that easy enough even without summons. If you don't lock on it's crazy easy to dodge all of his attacks and just smack his flanks when he lands. I never tried summoning for him though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really get the point of summoning for elana considering she has no health and dies in like 30 seconds

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

How to poo poo on Elana:

1) Equip Red Iron Twinblade
2) Gold Pine Resin, optionally paired with a Brightbug
3) Spam R1

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how to poo poo on elana:

hit her with any weapon because she is utterly pathetic

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Isn't Elana another incidence of unfair Strike weapon bias by From?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Senethro posted:

Isn't Elana another incidence of unfair Strike weapon bias by From?

Pretty sure she's not. The general rule is: Armored at all = Strike, Fat = Thrust, anything else = Slash

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Pretty sure she's not. The general rule is: Armored at all = Strike, Fat = Thrust, anything else = Slash

Everything weak to slash is as weak or weaker to thrust. Rapier is best weapon for a reason. Elana is weak to physical attacks in general but even weaker to strike. Red Iron Winblade is great in spite of its bad typing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 7, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Elana has pretty ridiculous elemental resistances too doesn't she? Even compared to other DLC bosses.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

buffs are fine, soul arrow/lightning spear/whatever will do nothing but make you feel bad about your stat investment

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the DLC made me feel bad for spending stats on spells at all in Dark Souls 2. Just ain't worth it post-nerfs and with the DLC elemental resistances.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Harrow posted:

Neither summon does noticeable damage to him and his HP goes through the roof if they're around.

Harrow posted:

I never tried summoning for him though

Hmmmmm....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Hmmmmm....

I've been summoned for him. To be fair I've only seen people try to use the Abbess summon along with summoning me but she just does scratch damage to him, and he's so easy to dodge (unless you're locked on) that her ability to distract him is pretty pointless. Maybe the other guy is helpful? I dunno.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Harrow posted:

I've been summoned for him. To be fair I've only seen people try to use the Abbess summon along with summoning me but she just does scratch damage to him, and he's so easy to dodge (unless you're locked on) that her ability to distract him is pretty pointless. Maybe the other guy is helpful? I dunno.

Feeva only does lightning damage, so yeah she does almost nothing but occasionally heal you. Transcendent Edde is a beast who can tank forever and does actual damage. He makes it very hard to lose the fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, I may have been unkind to ol' Edde, then. I figured he'd die as fast as Feeva.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Manatee Cannon posted:

how to poo poo on elana:

hit her with any weapon because she is utterly pathetic

Problem isn't Elana. It's her summoning Veldstad and hanging back with her spells while he rags on you.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Welp, beat Aava. The Frigid Outskirts may be one of the most poorly designed areas in the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Last time I played the frigid outskirts and fought the dual kitties, I had to repair the great club three times. I hate the poor durability on weapons so much. Will DS2fix be a good option for not needing to constantly repair?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

The poor durability on weapons should've been fixed with (or just after?) SotFS. The dual cats do seem to break your weapon unusually fast, though. At least with Sinh it sort of made sense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The durability wasn't fixed on scholar, it may be slightly slower but still too fast, the DS2fix dude(s) stated that even with FROM's fix, on 60 fps weapons still break way too fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's hoping they don't tie weapon degradation to frame rate in Dark Souls 3. They have to have learned, right? It's not like they're not aware of the problem in DS2.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Welp, beat Aava. The Frigid Outskirts may be one of the most poorly designed areas in the game.

Frigid Outskirts is the worst area in the game, but the other two bonus areas in the other DLCs aren't much better or more interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Frigid outskirts at least starts out interesting before you realize its just endless paindeers charging you over a ridiculous difference. There's potential for it to be an extremely cool and unique area if they put more effort into it.

Iron Passage is irredeemable garbage from start to finish.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all of the coop areas are terrible, which is really unfortunate when you look at the rest of the dlc areas and how great they are

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Harrow posted:

Here's hoping they don't tie weapon degradation to frame rate in Dark Souls 3. They have to have learned, right? It's not like they're not aware of the problem in DS2.

This is From we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if they just locked DS3 at 30 FPS and called it a day.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is From we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if they just locked DS3 at 30 FPS and called it a day.

Well they already did that for DS1.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Samuel Clemens posted:

"Cinematic"

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
What's this about weapon decay? It's tied to framerate, so if you're playing on a machine that runs 60 fps consistently, your weapons degrade twice as fast, or something?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Ghost of Starman posted:

What's this about weapon decay? It's tied to framerate, so if you're playing on a machine that runs 60 fps consistently, your weapons degrade twice as fast, or something?

Basically there was a bug in the original PC version that attacking through corpses, white Phantoms, and some other things would absolutely shred weapon durability - I remember having a spear outright break from 3/4s durability because I attack through two corpses to hit an enemy. The bug was tied to framerate, so the 30fps Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't have it, and PC players either got used to it or use Cheat Engine to fix the problem.

When SotFS came out the PS4/Xbone/PC version all ran at 60fps and had the bug. This led to a lot people going "SotFS looks great on nextgen but my weapons keep breaking why send help" and "JAPANESE DEVS :rolleyes:" so a couple months after release From finally patched it out.

It's fixed now and any durability issues you have are how the game was intended to be. It's just a notorious bug because it took over a year and a full game re-release for From to fix something that was evident from the first area.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They never actually fixed the bug, they just pushed it out of sight by making corpses no longer deal durability damage. If you're summoned to another guy's world you can still experience the 60fps durability shredding by poking the ghosts of his NPCs.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I've said this before but I actually think that the PS3/360 versions are the one with the bug because weapons decay at half speed in that one. There are more versions of the game that have the "bug" at this point and they never bothered trying to "fix" it. Just because the PS3 and 360 versions came out first doesn't mean that every other version is less definitive than them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't think it's intended to break a great club in a single Elana fight just because she spawned skellies and I hit one or two of them while hitting her. I still see that bugged, maybe less than unpatched but weapons wear way too fast.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Is it me or do the NPC invaders have, like, way too much health and poise? In Iron Keep got 2 npc invaders who just had way too much health, dealt a shitload of damage and never even stumbled upon being hit by either a rapier or an uchigatana. Also backstabbing them is really hard, for some reason? Is this a regular feature now, because I don't remember NPC invaders in DkS1 being so annoying to deal with.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mortons stork posted:

do the NPC invaders have, like, way too much health and poise?

Yes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mortons stork posted:

Is it me or do the NPC invaders have, like, way too much health and poise? In Iron Keep got 2 npc invaders who just had way too much health, dealt a shitload of damage and never even stumbled upon being hit by either a rapier or an uchigatana. Also backstabbing them is really hard, for some reason? Is this a regular feature now, because I don't remember NPC invaders in DkS1 being so annoying to deal with.

They don't have that much poise, although rapiers and katanas have relatively low poise damage. Try two-handing your weapon and/or equipping the stone ring, you should be able to stagger them in one hit like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm doing a magic only run for the first time with a new character and gently caress Elana. For some reason I thought it would be fun to collect all the DLC crowns before visiting Drangleic.