Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Just got a performance bonus at work!

...and then immediately went out and bought this

GOOOODBYYYYEEEEE SHOOOOUULLLDERRRRRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nm posted:

(The above ignores the Fiesta ST, which is awesome and everyone should buy one)
I don't know what the question was, but this is the answer.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I stop nearly anything involving cars* for a few years, and now I check out WRC and its full of Hyundais and Volkswagens. What the hell is going on? I stopped watching because of Loeb, and now I see that Russian kid that couldn't stop crashing, and Lattvala still in second or third place.

*Except I bought and am fixing 323 GTX #4, but that is a thread for a later date.

Welcome back.
Where the gently caress ya been?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

Just got a performance bonus at work!

...and then immediately went out and bought this

GOOOODBYYYYEEEEE SHOOOOUULLLDERRRRRR

quote:

The .458 Lott is a .458 caliber belted hunting cartridge designed as a replacement for the less powerful .458 Winchester Magnum. It is based on the full length .375 H&H Magnum blown out and shortened to 2.800 inches (71.1 mm). The cartridge is designed for the purpose of hunting African dangerous game.[1]

You see many Cape Buffalo in your neck of VA?

e. That said, I've lusted after a similar CZ in .17 HMR for years now.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 7, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

You see many Cape Buffalo in your neck of VA?

I'm gonna make one out of Tannerite.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

You're right except for as you mentioned: long haul where single mode fiber still excels. Don't know of anything on the horizon that it likely to replace the any time soon. And that usage is still a big deal.

Looking forward to SAC being my "backhoe fade" on circuits I'm paying $6k+ a month for.

DWDM and EDFAs pretty much guarantee we will stay with fiber for a long rear end time, because...

zundfolge posted:

but when I was working on the wireline side we were beginning to install equipment with the ability to multiplex 88 10Gbps channels onto a single fiber circuit, or use the circuit to carry a 40Gbps or 100Gbps channel.

CommieGIR posted:

Fiber ain't goin' anywhere, and very few Datacenter Architects want to do short haul 10GbE over copper, when Fiber is going to give better latency.
Fiber vs copper doesn't matter for latency on short distance stuff, it is dwarfed by the delays in switching at higher layers. Fiber is around 0.6 to 0.7 VC, copper is 0.7 VC. Meanwhile microwave still owns low latency, a well designed microwave network with custom repeater stations (rather than using off the shelf IDUs, ODUs, and switching equipment) every 50 miles or so for instance can beat a copper or fiber line of sight link by a handful of milliseconds.

Deeters posted:

Why the hell do GMs turn their reverse lights when in park? I do not like driving through parking lots and expecting cars to back up and then have them just sit there (ok, this is better than a car reversing without any warning, but still).
That is going to get someone shot by a cop. gently caress what a terrible idea.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Yeah, and now she has an excuse to go buy a cart full of new ornaments to fill it out :v:

I always complained when helping my family shove increasingly larger trees through the front door. Then, one dark year some time ago, my mother went and bought a Costco 12' 3-peice artificial tree. It was like an ancient, evil totem passed down from a timeless demon - my dad and I spent two hours cursing and setting it up, and about the same taking it down. Every year, it took an additional 45 minutes to assemble and an additional 45 cubic feet to store... it just kept expanding and the limb - joints all got arthritis and began to develop an extreme thirst for human finger blood. Did I mention each section had a built-in string of interconnected lights wired by a team of 1980s Chrysler technicians?

After three years of this curse our cries became so piteous and our language so foul that my mother finally took mercy, and allowed us to "donate" it to a church. I do not complain about Douglas Firs anymore; they smell great and can be disassembled and packed with a chainsaw. I will gladly squeeze a copse worth of them into the living room any time and be thankful for the opportunity.

I am partial to frasier fir, they look better to me and have stubby blunt soft needles so you don't feel like you tried to wrestle a porcupine after decorating one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

<3
Video this

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

loving hipster caliber in an awesome CZ rifle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

leica posted:

Either 1/43 or 1/24 under $50. I don't care if it's made in China, but if it's shipped from China it won't be here by christmas, and it seems like everything i can afford online is being shipped from china. Nobody in the states has anything in stock I guess :(

China can definitely get stuff across the planet before Christmas. A friend of mine had some steering wheels custom made and it took 3 days from point of order for the wheels to get delivered to his house. Chinese postage is cheap because it's subsidised so throw them a few dollars on top and it'll be with you in short order.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

loving hipster caliber in an awesome CZ rifle.

It can shoot .458 Win Mags if I'm feeling like a pussy that day.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

It can shoot .458 Win Mags if I'm feeling like a pussy that day.

No joke, i will have a 527 American in 7.62x39 sooner or later.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

88h88 posted:

A friend of mine had some steering wheels custom made and it took 3 days from point of order for the wheels to get delivered to his house.

???
I'd like to know more!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The company I was doing work for in NH a few months ago went outta business like I figured they would. Glad I jumped ship when I did.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

kastein posted:

DWDM and EDFAs pretty much guarantee we will stay with fiber for a long rear end time, because...

As an aside I kind of miss working in the landline business, even if it was a bureaucratic nightmare sometimes. The office I used to work in had several varieties of telephone switch (dial tone and tandem), plus the ROADM equipment I mentioned in my previous post, a whole bunch of SONET gear, and some things you'd never see anywhere else. It was graybeard heaven, and it makes me kind of sad that the PSTN equipment is on its way out. Our cell network is cool in its own way but the equipment is pretty much the same at every site and since the technology turns over so much faster (at least compared to the landline world) it's designed to be somewhat disposable, whereas the landline switches were obviously meant to last for generations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mafoose posted:

???
I'd like to know more!

They're nothing particularly special, ABS/vinyl coating over steel frames and custom logo centre caps. They're of the same quality as any of the 'fashion' brand wheels you can buy as in they're nothing particularly special but they're certainly not poo poo or dangerous. They bolt to a standard 6 bolt hub.

I think he just trawled Alibaba.com to find a supplier and he orders them as and when he needs to as oppose to keeping stock of the million and one colour options. He said at the most it takes a week to get one and yes they supply samples if you're insistent... ;)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

They're nothing particularly special, ABS/vinyl coating over steel frames and custom logo centre caps. They're of the same quality as any of the 'fashion' brand wheels you can buy as in they're nothing particularly special but they're certainly not poo poo or dangerous. They bolt to a standard 6 bolt hub.

I think he just trawled Alibaba.com to find a supplier and he orders them as and when he needs to as oppose to keeping stock of the million and one colour options. He said at the most it takes a week to get one and yes they supply samples if you're insistent... ;)

All I can think of is that guy showing off the fake brand steering wheel and bending the piss out of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

All I can think of is that guy showing off the fake brand steering wheel and bending the piss out of it.

I thought the same until I actually played with one. As with everything made in China, corners can be cut but these are solid. God knows what sort of cheese metal that one from the video was made from.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Happy Holidays from the Goobers

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goober Peas posted:

Happy Holidays from the Goobers

Ooh! I little sail boat!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Locator posted:

Ooh! I little sail boat!

It's a schooner.

I said lets get poinsettias and the wife informed me they were poisonous to cats and I responded with: exactly!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The Locator posted:

Ooh! I little sail boat!

gently caress, someone get the sedatives.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

El Jebus posted:

It's a schooner.

I said lets get poinsettias and the wife informed me they were poisonous to cats and I responded with: exactly!

We were gifted a poinsettia, and rather than just throw it out (my vote) we have to keep it on top of the only bookshelf in the house the cats haven't figured out how to jump onto yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
LS Swaps: Let's put the same damned engine in every car because whats the point in having something unique.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Some people don't like uniqueness and just want bang-for-buck. This is okay and A Good Thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Some people don't like uniqueness and just want bang-for-buck. This is okay and A Good Thing.

I will rage forever about LS conversions.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'd rather put in a motor that's heavier and makes less power.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'd rather put in a motor that's heavier and makes less power.

Iron Duke swap it is, then.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

It is, but I do agree with Commie in that I wish people would stop jizzing their pants every time somebody starts an LS swap. When it's the de facto choice its not all that insane and crazy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yes, let's have a ~~zany~~ monkey cheese motor combination just so you can be so special and unique. Go ahead and make less power and spend more money; heaven forbid someone wants some performance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

It is, but I do agree with Commie in that I wish people would stop jizzing their pants every time somebody starts an LS swap. When it's the de facto choice its not all that insane and crazy.

Raluek posted:

Yes, let's have a ~~zany~~ monkey cheese motor combination just so you can be so special and unique. Go ahead and make less power and spend more money; heaven forbid someone wants some performance.

Everybody does it. And then they act as if they've done something amazing. Its like everyone in my shop in the ANG buying a Corvette and then going on about how they are all going to get the same power mods to achieve the mythical 1000 HP level of manliness.

I'm okay with people swapping LS, I get it, its there, its cost effective, its got support, but acting as if someone swapping an LS into something is amazing? What's so amazing? Everybody does it. Might as well offer it like LEGO kits at Autozone or Oreillys.

Do something original. Do something different. Stop cookie cutter-ing everything.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah seriously, it's like me saying "I love my .45-70 and all you dudes that actually hunt with .30-06 are sheep".

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Everybody does it. And then they act as if they've done something amazing. Its like everyone in my shop in the ANG buying a Corvette and then going on about how they are all going to get the same power mods to achieve the mythical 1000 HP level of manliness.

I'm okay with people swapping LS, I get it, its there, its cost effective, its got support, but acting as if someone swapping an LS into something is amazing? What's so amazing? Everybody does it. Might as well offer it like LEGO kits at Autozone or Oreillys.

Do something original. Do something different. Stop cookie cutter-ing everything.

Because adding horsepower and a nice soundtrack to a car is a good and cool thing? It's not some awesome feat, but does that make a cool car with a fast motor any less cool? Traditional hotrods are formulaic as poo poo, but they still completely own.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah seriously, it's like me saying "I love my .45-70 and all you dudes that actually hunt with .30-06 are sheep".

AR-15s: The LS of the Gun World.

Raluek posted:

Because adding horsepower and a nice soundtrack to a car is a good and cool thing? It's not some awesome feat, but does that make a cool car with a fast motor any less cool? Traditional hotrods are formulaic as poo poo, but they still completely own.

Actually, it does. It kinda makes it 'Oh, well you did the same thing all these other guys did?....well, good for you I guess'

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Better than being somewhere where people seem to spaff their pants about loving Rover V8s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

LS Swaps: Let's put the same damned engine in every car because whats the point in having something unique.

Have fun spending 1k on a 5.9 cummins that weighs 3-400lb more when you can have an LM7 for 300 at the yard, tune it up with some basic boltons and be making more power, more torque, and still getting 25mpg on the highway. Also diesel isn't as cheap compared to gas as it once was.

Sure, diesels are cool, but I'm looking at this economically, not just fanboying over one particular type of engines. If I was gonna do that, everything I own would have a Junkers Jumo 205 in it. Which, yes, is a diesel. A 2 stroke, 12 piston, 6 cylinder, turbosupercharged, aircraft diesel with zero head gaskets and zero valves. I don't care what kind of engine you like, that is better than it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Have fun spending 1k on a 5.9 cummins that weighs 3-400lb more when you can have an LM7 for 300 at the yard, tune it up with some basic boltons and be making more power, more torque, and still getting 25mpg on the highway. Also diesel isn't as cheap compared to gas as it once was.

Sure, diesels are cool, but I'm looking at this economically, not just fanboying over one particular type of engines. If I was gonna do that, everything I own would have a Junkers Jumo 205 in it. Which, yes, is a diesel. A 2 stroke, 12 piston, 6 cylinder, turbosupercharged, aircraft diesel with zero head gaskets and zero valves. I don't care what kind of engine you like, that is better than it.

I don't care if its a Cummins. And yeah, Cummins get overdone too for the same reason as the LS: Community support and availability for Cummins is everywhere.

And I'd be behind an awesome Junkers Jumo 205 powered vehicle.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

AR-15s: The LS of the Gun World.

Ohhh so you're just contrarian about everything, got it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Ohhh so you're just contrarian about everything, got it.

:argh: Yes I am!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well in that case you do you, boo boo :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Well in that case you do you, boo boo :sun:

Meh, the LS thing just gets to me because I constantly run into people going on about their LS swaps in *Insert Car Here* at nearly every car meet.

• Locked thread