Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Speleothing posted:

I think those usually rely on the sound of kernels popping. The one at my parent's house that they've had since the late 80s does that and works perfectly.

I just imagine going to a friend's house and screaming "POP! POP POPOPOP!!!" at the microwaveand running away so when they go check on their popcorn later it's all half popped and ruined. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

dr_rat posted:

Well if its a whole bunch of clocks in his house that are off it probably means the clocks are fine and its time itself thats amiss.

It's about this time criscodisco will probably admit their house is actually in an unstable orbit around twin black holes or something.

I wouldn't be surprised. Is it possible that old electrical wiring could cause the clock problems? This is an old place, and my clocks lose between 10-15 minutes every couple of weeks.

The PS4 text input talk is accurate, I hate it any time I have to enter text. Credit card into is the worst. You can use the touchpad on the controller to draw out each letter, but it's terribly inaccurate and takes even longer that just selecting one letter at a time. Its only saving grace is that it remembers all inputs and suggests them each time it thinks you're going to enter it again.

My cable box remote has a "system power" button right next to the regular power button, same size and shape. Since I leave my box on or it won't record my shows, if I try turn on my TV and hit the wrong button, it turns off the cable box, on the TV, off my speakers and on my Blu-ray and DVD players. It doesn't do them all at once, but one after another, so I keep winding up panicking and throwing the remote to stop it before it gets through all my electronics.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

criscodisco posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Is it possible that old electrical wiring could cause the clock problems? This is an old place, and my clocks lose between 10-15 minutes every couple of weeks.

The tolerance for most modern quartz clocks is like +-10 seconds per month.

Do you live in a basement in a horror movie where the lights constantly flicker and brown out 24/7?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

criscodisco posted:

My cable box remote has a "system power" button right next to the regular power button, same size and shape. Since I leave my box on or it won't record my shows, if I try turn on my TV and hit the wrong button, it turns off the cable box, on the TV, off my speakers and on my Blu-ray and DVD players. It doesn't do them all at once, but one after another, so I keep winding up panicking and throwing the remote to stop it before it gets through all my electronics.

Replace it with a Harmony remote. You can set it to never turn off certain devices, even if you hit "all off". It's nice.

Alternately, just cover the IR blaster with your hand. I would sometimes do that if I wanted to switch my TV/Xbox on but continue listening to auxiliary audio input. Let the remote turn on the two things, then block it from switching the inputs.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
RE cellphones. Mine has like a special 'energy-saving' feature I can only activate when there's less than 15% battery remaining. As far as I can tell, it doesn't deactivate anything. So why not run the phone in energy saving mode all the time???

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's p much screen brightness and turning off shake/rotation sensor and gps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Depends on the device. Mine turns off all automatic updates, so it doesn't check for email or update the weather or things like that. You can still manually open and update those apps if you want. Calls and text still come trough. Screen brightness is dimmed and I think the processor is clocked down (running a game with the power saver mode active is sluggish). That seems to save a ton of power while retaining functionality. Unfortunately, it only comes on at 5% battery life. I wish I could have it come on at 10% or 15%. Though I can manually turn it on if I plan on needing my phone later in the day but I'm not using it at the moment.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ryoshi posted:

The PS3's Hulu app had letters arranged in a line like that AND it was so fuckin' poorly optimized that there'd be lag on the thing. Oh, you thought you put in a V because the cursor was over it when you hit the X button? Sorry, the seven core processor wasn't quite there yet and actually entered a T instead.

gently caress Hulu in general, really. A lot about Hulu could go in this thread.

Omg Hulu is loving trash. Can't they do anything right??

You load up Hulu on the ps4 and it asks if you wanna keep watching the episode you were on when you quit it last. It gives you three most recent options. Cool! You click yes and it takes you right into the show.

That's great until it's over. You back out and it kicks you to the main menu. What the gently caress? Take me to the shows page! It doesn't. God help you if you don't watch the loving credits too: all three recently watched suggestions will be right in the middle of their credits.

It's ridiculous that you have to actively say "no" then (generally) search for the show to get to its page and then view from there.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

The tolerance for most modern quartz clocks is like +-10 seconds per month.

Do you live in a basement in a horror movie where the lights constantly flicker and brown out 24/7?

Hard to tell if these idiots are actually losing time or just arent able to set them to the same time. Biggest problem i have between my microwave and oven and other clocks in the area are that they are all off from each other by 10-30 seconds - like they'll both say 11:56 and then one changes to 11:57 so they're "off" until the first catches up to 11:57

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Hard to tell if these idiots are actually losing time or just arent able to set them to the same time. Biggest problem i have between my microwave and oven and other clocks in the area are that they are all off from each other by 10-30 seconds - like they'll both say 11:56 and then one changes to 11:57 so they're "off" until the first catches up to 11:57

Well sir I am no idiot and can definitely set the time on my clocks. I think it is odd electricity, because regular light bulbs (not cf or led) only last about a month here and electronics seem too have less of a lifespan than they should. It's an old place in a historic area (German Village in Columbus Ohio if you are familiar with it) and lord knows when the electrical system was looked at last. The fuse box is like something out of a horror movie.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

gently caress Hulu in general, really. A lot about Hulu could go in this thread.

On PS3 youtube, you used to be able to hit the L/R bumpers to quickly scrolls 5 characters or so, letting you get to where you're going faster. Only they updated it, and removed that feature for being too useful. Now I have to move one letter at a time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The YouTube app on the xb1 is still just as retarded as the 360 version. Is there a patent on displaying keys in the qwerty format? :wtc:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i think the current youtube app on current streaming boxes is the same everywhere.

i.e. poo poo!!!

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

Xbox live seems to get more cumbersome to use every time they update it. I know they're aiming for an "entertainment centre" vibe, but just getting to the games section of it and looking at addons etc seems to take longer and longer every time they update.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I had an answering machine that would take all the messages for me but would hang up on calls for my roommate.
Don't know if it was an intentional design feature but it was kind of fun.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8MDCIlOEk

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Imagine how many hours it took to make that hunk of garbage

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gender illusionist posted:

Imagine how many hours it took to make that hunk of garbage

one?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I don't understand why whatsapp needs to give me a new message sound notification after I open the app, it already gave me a sound notification that I'd gotten a new message before I opened it

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Has anyone mentioned the entire Apple App Store yet? Browsing that poo poo is like trying to do your shopping at Costco through a magnifying glass taped over your eyes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Idk there's clearly iterative design failures here, there's gotta be at least some extra time for realizing that oh gently caress they don't have a battery we better make one up that looks like a real pack so they wrapped some cells in paper and then oh gently caress that's not enough better solder a few more on the end and jam them up in a corner, etc.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

criscodisco posted:

The fuse box is like something out of a horror movie.

We need a picture.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
While we're on the subject of streaming video services, one simple feature that would be great would be a "Play Random" option. Not all shows are serials and sometimes I want to watch any old Bob's Burgers or Family Guy/South Park without having a) to explicitly choose, and b) then play next episodes in serial order from that episode on. Basically I want shuffle.

Doesn't make me furious though. Sorry for not playing by the rules.

Ever since the iphone 6 moved the power button to directly opposite the volume on the right side of the phone, I've hated it. What was so wrong with where it was before? Sometimes you go to volume up and use the other side for "leverage" and shut the phone off. Phone turns off sometimes when putting it into a car mount clamp after setting up GPS.

It's not the end of the world but the power button used to be on the top of the phone where currently nothing resides. Why move it? What problem did they solve? It was a fine location. Apple does this a lot where they change things just because, like the never ending swap of the headphone jack. Is it on the top or the bottom? Every other version of iPods and phones for a while switched it.

Why?

gently caress you, Apple.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Power buttons have been moving to the sides of phones ever since screens started getting bigger. It's too much of a reach to get it on top if you're using it one handed. Might not be an issue on the 6, but definitely an issue on the 6 Plus.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Shadow posted:

all of Apple's proprietary connectors and cables

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Shadow posted:

Ever since the iphone 6 moved the power button to directly opposite the volume on the right side of the phone, I've hated it. What was so wrong with where it was before? Sometimes you go to volume up and use the other side for "leverage" and shut the phone off. Phone turns off sometimes when putting it into a car mount clamp after setting up GPS.

It's not the end of the world but the power button used to be on the top of the phone where currently nothing resides. Why move it? What problem did they solve? It was a fine location. Apple does this a lot where they change things just because, like the never ending swap of the headphone jack. Is it on the top or the bottom? Every other version of iPods and phones for a while switched it.

Why?

For what it's worth, that's the same exact placement as the Galaxy S6, and I constantly turning it off when adjusting the volume. It also has the headphone jack on the bottom, which I really don't understand. Is there any good reason for it to be there? Occasionally if I'm outside for a long time I'll have it in my jacket pocket with a pair of headphones plugged it but also a battery pack plugged in, too, and I see no good reason for that cluster of cords all coming out of the rear end end.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

criscodisco posted:

For what it's worth, that's the same exact placement as the Galaxy S6, and I constantly turning it off when adjusting the volume. It also has the headphone jack on the bottom, which I really don't understand. Is there any good reason for it to be there? Occasionally if I'm outside for a long time I'll have it in my jacket pocket with a pair of headphones plugged it but also a battery pack plugged in, too, and I see no good reason for that cluster of cords all coming out of the rear end end.

Pockets. A headphone jack on the bottom with headphones plugged in allow for more "natural" movement when pocketing the phone. It also makes it easier to pocket the phone if headphones and an external battery are plugged in at the same time, since wires would only be coming out of one end and not both.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Uthor posted:

Power buttons have been moving to the sides of phones ever since screens started getting bigger. It's too much of a reach to get it on top if you're using it one handed. Might not be an issue on the 6, but definitely an issue on the 6 Plus.

Alright, I'll accept that as a reason. It still sucks that I turn the phone off by mistake so often because of it being placed right opposite the volume button, but your explanation does make design sense.

Subyng posted:

all of Apple's proprietary connectors and cables

This is "by design" rather than a bad design. Apple's a piece of poo poo and wants to milk you out of as much money as possible. Standardizing with mini USB wouldn't allow them to ask for $20+ for a replacement charger cable. Hell, every hotel I've been in (I travel a lot) had the previous Apple docking station. A giant gently caress you to them changing it to the lightning in the first place. Almost looks like mini USB but it isn't, lol gently caress you.

criscodisco posted:

Agreed. When I do have my phone in my inside jacket pocket, it's usually facing upward. A jack on the top seems to make sense which it where it used to be. Until it wasn't. Then was. Then wasn't.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Logikv9 posted:

Pockets. A headphone jack on the bottom with headphones plugged in allow for more "natural" movement when pocketing the phone. It also makes it easier to pocket the phone if headphones and an external battery are plugged in at the same time, since wires would only be coming out of one end and not both.

Aren't they trying to do away with headphone jacks too? I hear we're next going to need to use a lightning cable for a headset (lol if you paid money for a good headset because gently caress you). I guess then you get to buy a $50 adapter that takes 2 lightning inputs for your headset AND charging needs on top of another $60 adapter to go audio jack -> lightning

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shadow posted:

Aren't they trying to do away with headphone jacks too? I hear we're next going to need to use a lightning cable for a headset (lol if you paid money for a good headset because gently caress you). I guess then you get to buy a $50 adapter that takes 2 lightning inputs for your headset AND charging needs on top of another $60 adapter to go audio jack -> lightning

Take any Apple rumors with a grain of salt. There was a rumor one or two cycles ago about how those EarPods would become lightning-connector only and would measure your heart rate or something. People ate it up and guess what, it was 100% made up.

Headphone jacks are ubiquitous and are not going away for a long time. Even the Macbook and its one stupid loving port has one foot still firmly planted in the USB-domination territory, it shows that Apple isn't absolutely willing to eschew widespread and firmly dominant technology.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Logikv9 posted:

Take any Apple rumors with a grain of salt. There was a rumor one or two cycles ago about how those EarPods would become lightning-connector only and would measure your heart rate or something. People ate it up and guess what, it was 100% made up.

Headphone jacks are ubiquitous and are not going away for a long time. Even the Macbook and its one stupid loving port has one foot still firmly planted in the USB-domination territory, it shows that Apple isn't absolutely willing to eschew widespread and firmly dominant technology.

Yeah, 2 USBs on my macbook air. They are able to see that USB dominates peripherals but simply refuse to see that mini USB is the de facto standard for mobile devices. It's absurd how anti-consumer Apple is. They don't look at the market to see what it wants. They tell it what it wants, and then you have their forums filled with brainwashed faggots telling you how you're using your laptop wrong because you dare to want to shut the lid without it going to sleep. A setting on a windows machine that takes 3 seconds requires third party software on this mac.

I'm to blame too. I buy this poo poo.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shadow posted:

Yeah, 2 USBs on my macbook air. They are able to see that USB dominates peripherals but simply refuse to see that mini USB is the de facto standard for mobile devices. It's absurd how anti-consumer Apple is. They don't look at the market to see what it wants. They tell it what it wants, and then you have their forums filled with brainwashed faggots telling you how you're using your laptop wrong because you dare to want to shut the lid without it going to sleep. A setting on a windows machine that takes 3 seconds requires third party software on this mac.

I'm to blame too. I buy this poo poo.

I mean, they tried.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Yeah, I remember Firewire and how early generations of ipods required adapters. I had mentioned it in my reply but decided to not go there. :)

arghhhh

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shadow posted:

Alright, I'll accept that as a reason. It still sucks that I turn the phone off by mistake so often because of it being placed right opposite the volume button, but your explanation does make design sense.

If you wanna see a bad decision, see Microsoft's brand new flagship phone. You have, top to bottom, volume up, power, volume down. Yes, the power is between the volume buttons.

criscodisco posted:

I've been on both sides of the fence. My Galaxy Nexus had the port on the bottom and I disliked it because it was too hard to plug in both power and headphones, especially with my portable battery (the cord has dual ends for mini- and micro-USB, so bigger than most) or in the car (the bottom of the car mount left little room for both cords).

Now I have a phone with the port on the top and it took me quite a while to learn to put the phone in my pocket right side up. I need to spin the phone in my hand when I use it, or I need to pull it out with my finger tips and curl them around. I'm used to it now, but it was hard to break the habit.

In the end, I prefer port on the top as using power and audio at the same time is easier.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I think the real question (and I promise to drop this derail unless others want to engage) is if this "We'll tell you what you want," approach from Apple is going to continue working much longer under Tim Cook. I don't know how much longer if at all Steve Jobs' plans and prototype/designs are still fueling the R&D of Apple and when it'll be completely Jobs-free (lol, wishful pun?). Jobs had a way about him and a way of selling lovely ideas that his fan boys took as gospel and did most of the user adoption viral marketing for the company. That can't continue forever, so when does the tide change?

Uthor posted:

If you wanna see a bad decision, see Microsoft's brand new flagship phone. You have, top to bottom, volume up, power, volume down. Yes, the power is between the volume buttons.

lol yeah Microsoft really should give up on phones. Windows CE, Windows Mobile, and Windows Phone are all complete failures. And with its nonexistent marketshare, even good designs are going to mean nothing since every mobile app you'll ever want is only going to be found on iOS and Android. If they have a mercy Windows Phone version, I think you can pretty much guarantee it'll be an afterthought for all bug fixes and feature enhancements. Perhaps Software Containerization will make it easier in the future when they have better (or existing) support for mobile devices, but until then, it's a pipe dream.

Though the Surface Book (is it called?) looks pretty loving cool. That could be worth picking up(??!)

Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 7, 2015

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

there's no ethernet port on my macbook pro and the adapter to turn a lightning port into an ethernet port is £25, which is obscene. good thing work pays for it for me!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shadow posted:

That can't continue forever, so when does the tide change?

There are now three iPad sizes and two iPhone sizes (with rumors of a smaller iPhone in the future). poo poo, iOS 9 is already supporting 4 different phone screen sizes and two different aspect ratios when it used to support only one size/ratio (albeit at different resolutions). They're definitely starting to get away from "we'll tell you what you want".

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
^^ yeah, that's fair. the multiple sizes including the ipad pro shows some growth. but you still have to wonder how much of apple's power to control the market came from dictating your usage. havign to support multiple sizes and devices now is going to require expansion of their Settings... and Apple's claim to fame of "it just works" is a direct result of their STRONG limitations on what you can customize. It works because they limit the use cases.

Quote-Unquote posted:

there's no ethernet port on my macbook pro and the adapter to turn a lightning port into an ethernet port is £25, which is obscene. good thing work pays for it for me!

Ran into this on both my machines. I have a Yoga 2 Pro which I love and this Macbook Air. My fault for going for these thin, slim, mobile-focused laptops but I travel a lot and didn't think I'd need ethernet. Well, Lenovo is Lenovo and their Wifi cards suck. Not having the ethernet backup option made life tricky 2 weeks ago. Fixed the issue (new wifi) but yeah, an ethernet port shouldn't have been completely eliminated. I think the biggest issue on the two examples I own are that the port itself is thicker than the laptop (I think?) so from a design standpoint, it's not easy to place.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Am I the only one that likes headphone jacks on the bottom? It makes more sense when you're pocketing the device, and when you're charging + listening to music and the same time. The headphone jack location was probably the only good thing about my gnex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

Am I the only one that likes headphone jacks on the bottom? It makes more sense when you're pocketing the device, and when you're charging + listening to music and the same time. The headphone jack location was probably the only good thing about my gnex.

I hate the headphone jack at the top, I pick it up upside down every single time, I thought maybe it was just me.

• Locked thread