Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Salt and Sanctuary is a 2D platformer that may come out someday that is going for the Dark Souls type of combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_054dUJzCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can do Dark Souls (slow, impactful, tactical) style combat in a 2D game, Salt and Sanctuary looks super fun. The big difference is that the Salt and Sanctuary devs have always known what they want their combat to be, and Starbound devs are just making poo poo up as they go along.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

You can do Dark Souls (slow, impactful, tactical) style combat in a 2D game, Salt and Sanctuary looks super fun. The big difference is that the Salt and Sanctuary devs have always known what they want their combat to be, and Starbound devs are just making poo poo up as they go along.

ah, i see you're taking the 'shitpost' approach rather professionally. i like it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I get a lot practice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lunatikfringe posted:

Whats with all the pushback on slowed backward movement? We cant kite everything to death so........anger?

It also fucks with you during the spike dungeon platforming segments, as has been said.

I remember it also making building my bases go a touch slower all the times I was placing stuff but oh my cross hair is on THAT side of my body now.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is that penguin boss still basically the end of the game or did they manage to squeeze out a second boss in their blazing update schedule? (I haven't played since people still had hope)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lunatikfringe posted:

Whats with all the pushback on slowed backward movement? We cant kite everything to death so........anger?

It's a stupid, band-aid kneejerk fix slapped over fundamental design errors. It'd be like if you shattered your pelvis and the doctor just slapped a bandage on your other knee and said "walk it off." It didn't fix the problem and in fact just make things worse.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Hey maybe Chuckle fish are using a few 20 sided dice in order to Make development decisions.

Starbound: a game were even the development of the game is RNG

New thread title please.

:agreed:

I don't think this game is ever getting finished. I don't know how many times I thought "well, they're just tweaking the gameplay to get it right, its going to be great when its done" but now it looks like they're just spitballing ideas out there. It's been, how many years now?

Maybe its just best of the pause development and let everyone go home for a bit. Or pass the torch onto a dedicated modder who hasn't lost their head yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LibbyM posted:

Is that penguin boss still basically the end of the game or did they manage to squeeze out a second boss in their blazing update schedule? (I haven't played since people still had hope)

Penguin boss is moved. Replaced by a bunch of tedious no fun linear missions

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There were other bosses before the super linear progression was added, like a big skeleton dragon and a robot you slowly assembled during the tier and another thing I think.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

There were other bosses before the super linear progression was added, like a big skeleton dragon and a robot you slowly assembled during the tier and another thing I think.

Penguin saucer -> robot -> bone dragon -> huge slime.

The last one you summoned with peanut butter.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

You guys use the past tense, were these bosses actually removed after they added in the progression?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LibbyM posted:

You guys use the past tense, were these bosses actually removed after they added in the progression?

Some of them anyway. You're not missing much.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games › Starbound: You're not missing much

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Mokinokaro posted:

Penguin boss is moved. Replaced by a bunch of tedious no fun linear missions

Linearity aside, moving towards proper bosses with their own custom arenas was actually a pretty good idea. Before every boss battle boiled down to digging a whole and shooting the boss from where he can't get you.

I also thought the missions themselves were pretty fun, at least before the latest updates hosed up the combat again and all the mission enemies got nerfed into oblivion because people were crying about them being too hard. :shrug:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Avocados posted:

It's been, how many years now?

3+ years. But they're THIIIIS close to figuring out how they want movement to work.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SovietPotatoe posted:

Linearity aside, moving towards proper bosses with their own custom arenas was actually a pretty good idea. Before every boss battle boiled down to digging a whole and shooting the boss from where he can't get you.

I also thought the missions themselves were pretty fun, at least before the latest updates hosed up the combat again and all the mission enemies got nerfed into oblivion because people were crying about them being too hard. :shrug:

I felt they were less too hard and more that the player wasn't given any opportunities to get more powerful, while at the same time the combat they've been flailing around to try and make fun is simply too janky and poo poo to make a difficult fight fun. Challenging bosses would be fun, if combat wasn't boring garbage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SovietPotatoe posted:

Standing on a platform out of enemy reach firing literally 15 grenades at them before they died, because they could kill you in about two hits.

crying for no reason because you can't handle :darksouls:

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Slime posted:

I felt they were less too hard and more that the player wasn't given any opportunities to get more powerful, while at the same time the combat they've been flailing around to try and make fun is simply too janky and poo poo to make a difficult fight fun. Challenging bosses would be fun, if combat wasn't boring garbage.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from the combat of a 2D platforming/blockbuilding game but I thought the current stable build had a pretty good system going in terms of timing attacks, blocks, dodges, etc. Its not a particularly complex system but then even Dark Souls boils down to block/dodge -> punish until the enemy is dead, the nuances come mainly from differences in enemy attack patterns and weapons. Take the current stable version, add in weapon specials and the accelerated energy regen from the latest unstable update and you have a decent base for combat that might not be phenomenal or ground-breaking but good enough to be enjoyable. From there its just a matter of fine-tuning the balance of enemies, item progression, etc., like making that legendary Starcleaver I found in a dungeon actually better than the generic twohander I can craft. But instead they opted for lovely Terraria knockback/kiting combat with damage on touch so meh.

The bosses never really ran off of that whole darksouls-y concept though and were more traditional platformer bosses. I always thought those were pretty bleh but not really that big of a deal. :shrug:

Kinda makes you wonder though what the reason behind their schizophrenic combat design is. Does one half of the devs want Dark Souls and the other Terraria or are they actually trying to do both?

Section Z posted:

Standing on a platform out of enemy reach firing literally 15 grenades at them before they died, because they could kill you in about two hits.

crying for no reason because you can't handle :darksouls:

If you're referring to the shockhopper mech then yeah, that boss had some issues regarding telegraphing. Once you got the pattern down the boss was a pushover, the only problem was that the only way to learn the pattern was to die repeatedly to him. They should have added some proper tells to his attacks so a first-time player actually has a decent chance of avoiding them. "Oh, the boss is spinning up his tracks, I bet he's going to charge at me, better get ready to jump over him" instead of "The boss drove into the corner and then immediately bolted towards the other side of the room and took of 90% of my health before I could react". But instead they decided to just nerf his damage into oblivion. Even worse if you were playing at 3x zoom because then the boss would actually drive off-screen for his charge attack. The whole battle is just not very well thought out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

starbound's combat is looking more and more like symphony of the night every day, plus some things no one's done before

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like there is a reason no one has done those things.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SovietPotatoe posted:

The whole battle is just not very well thought out.

There's a theme here, you see.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Starbound Thread: A Shitposter's Guide to the Galaxy

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Can it really still be called shitposting if 99% of it is true?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
yes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SovietPotatoe posted:

If you're referring to the shockhopper mech then yeah, that boss had some issues regarding telegraphing.

I was talking about non boss enemies in the space mines when they were first implemented, taking that much damage to kill :downs:

Even though the mines boss was glitchy as hell at first, it was still faster to beat the boss than whittle down some of the enemies on the way to it.

EDIT: Honestly this has kind of been true since the beginning. I remember fighting the Penguin UFO at the very beginning of the EA and just turbo murdering the penguins, and just laughing off the bullets and tank fire from the penguin soldiers. The entire difficulty being just whittling the UFO down with what you had available. Then suddenly wandering into your boss fight was NORMAL WILDLIFE and I'd lose half my loving health because a bird spit at me, despite basically being as invulnerable as Godzilla against the Boss spawns, and having gone out of my way to spawn the boss on the starter planet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 8, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

Can it really still be called shitposting if 99% of it is true?

All posts are poo poo.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All posts are poo poo.

Even the enemies are poo poo.

Starbound: Even the enemies are poo poo.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

I was talking about non boss enemies in the space mines when they were first implemented, taking that much damage to kill :downs:

Oh, those guys, I totally forgot about them. Yeah, those were pretty broken initially too, mostly because the intended way to fight them was pretty dumb (run to the left and let the miner NPC's kill him). But my initial point still holds true, the base was there, they just needed some finetuning in terms of damage and windup, a hammer attack that kills you in two hits should have a long enough windup to allow you to dodge.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, been a while. Is this game still hot garbage? Recent posting seems to point to "Yes", but maybe those are just general complaints and the game is actually playable and maybe a little fun.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

Hey guys, been a while. Is this game still hot garbage? Recent posting seems to point to "Yes", but maybe those are just general complaints and the game is actually playable and maybe a little fun.

Nope. Huge pile of flaming unplayable poo poo. Unless you're Tiy, then it is a golden castle of spergfection.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey goons, stable is now out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZGJjJLFps

quote:

WEAPONS:

- Generated and tiered two-handed weapons now have special abilities that can be activated using right click. Many (45+) possible abilities are available for various classes of ranged and melee weapons!
(Yes, some guns now have flashlights)
- Change to hammer mechanics: hold left click to wind up, release to fire
- Change to spear mechanics: continue holding left click after a swing to keep the spear out to fend off enemies
- Several new classes of hard-to-find unique weapons: boomerangs, chakrams and fist weapons
- Find blueprints to upgrade these weapons into even more powerful and specialized versions at higher tiers
- Dual wield fist weapons to enable powerful combo finishers
- A few miscellaneous unique weapons and items such as flamethrowers and remote-detonated grenade launchers

MONSTER + NPC COMBAT:

- Lots of new unique monsters found throughout the galaxy, each with their own special abilities and behaviors
- Knockback is more powerful and reliable
- Monsters have clearer ‘telegraphing’ to indicate when they are about to attack
- Remade shields and improved blocking mechanics
- Replaced electric stun status effect with Electrified, which periodically damages other nearby enemies
- Hostile monsters now damage the player on touch

VEHICLES:

- New system for player-controlled vehicles which can be spawned and despawned using Vehicle Controllers (acquired at the Outpost)
- Hoverbikes!
- Great for travelling across planet surfaces quickly!
- They include a passenger seat so you can transport your friends!
- Come in several attractive colors!
- Drive carefully to avoid blowing yourself up!
- Boats!
- Similar to the previous boat tech, useful for crossing large bodies of water
- Your friends can ride on deck or pose dramatically in the bow
- Visit Rob Repairo in the Outpost shipyard area to repair your vehicles using auto chips, which can be found in the world or purchased at the Outpost

QUEST:

- Quest givers’ portraits are shown on quest dialogs and in the log
- Colonists now occasionally give players new procedural quests to help improve their house or social standing
- The abandon button can be used on procedural quests and the same quests can now be declined

BIOMES:

- New ‘Midnight’ planets
- New ‘Frozen’ planets (replaces Tundra)
- Prism, Steam Spring, and Hive sub biomes
- Over 300 new microdungeons and other improvements to all underground biomes, including background caves and parallaxes

OTHER:

- Craftable elevator objects, because stairs are so last millennium
- Consumable dyes to change the color of armor and clothing
- Capture pods are (for now) used to capture and relocate critters, with a more complete pet system returning in a future patch
- Loads of item descriptions have been fixed/replaced/added, including lots of Novakid ones!
- Too many new objects, items, costumes, colony tenants, etc. to list
- Too many bug fixes, item tweaks, and balance changes to list
- Improved support for Tiled map and tileset format for modders

ISSUES:

- Some one-handed, unique and biome weapons which still use the old system will be replaced in a future patch

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

lmao

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Hey, I was curious if you could shed some light on some of the design process behind this update. You guys removed damage on touch with the previous combat update but now you added it back in, why is that? I mean is this some divisive topic with half the dev team wanting it in and the other half not or something? Why the back and forth?

Also I remember it was said that at some point engine support for AoE status effects on objects will be added back in, do you know anything about the status of that?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A page or two back they posted the dev log where they explained putting touch damage back in, but I'll sum it up for you: they admitted they had no idea how to make damage on attack fun

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'm glad there are so many cool axes, hammers, and swords in my sandbox sci-fi raygun game.

And I'm really not following development anymore, but are they just now adding in vehicles? Weren't there like, tons of really awesome vehicle mods for the game a few months after it came out? I remember some really sweet mech suits being a thing at one point.

LordZoric fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 8, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
A few vehicles were in game as techs. They've just made vehicles their own system.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

SovietPotatoe posted:

Hey, I was curious if you could shed some light on some of the design process behind this update. You guys removed damage on touch with the previous combat update but now you added it back in, why is that? I mean is this some divisive topic with half the dev team wanting it in and the other half not or something? Why the back and forth?

it's starting to feel like playing a good castlevania. i'm excited to see exactly what starbound was always supposed to be once it's done

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I see a lot of things that are good in this update, like what you're doing with structured weapons and monsters to move away from the samey borderlands 1 system of random generation, as well as the new environments. These are good things. But, as usual, there are one or two humongous steps back (re-adding touch damage is the biggest one) that don't make any sense and make it seem like you're actively doubling down on bad decisions that you had previously moved away from.

But beyond all that I have one simple, serious question that I want you to answer, if you honestly give a drat about having a real conversation here and you're not just drive-by dumping again.

Why is it, 3+ years into development, combat and other core systems of the game are still being changed and worked on? Other people have said it before, but it really bears repeating that these are CORE FEATURES that should really be hammered out in the first year of development or so, before you even think about worldbuilding or critters or other kinds of feature creep. I know you're just an art peon and you probably don't hear much from the rest of the team besides the daily feeding through the door of your asset creation fun-geon, but why does the development of this game still seem so helter-skelter and lacking in a unified direction, even after all this time? What is a typical day at the office like? Who makes the really big decisions? Is it democratic or do you just get passed down orders? Does reasonable, fun, and well thought-out poo poo get thrown out for not being "challenging" enough?

I don't care if you don't know much, just tell us something, anything, so that I know you're actually willing to engage in civil discourse and that you're not just "the fucker who shits updates and speeds away, cackling like a deaf meth-head" that I see you as right now.

I want to believe in you, Supernorn.

e: also how much footage in your trailers is actually admin mode

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

the update messed with all my randomly generated weapons. My awesome grenade launcher became a lame sticky bomb launcher. :sigh:

on the other hand, my assault rifle spews like a million bullets and spears have an awesome multijab.

also, why are craftable guns a novakid only thing?

and why touch damage when enemies have telegraphed attack anyway?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread