Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turok was the reason why I used inverted aim on dual-stick controls for years. I eventually forced myself to play standard because my aim wasn't that great.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You can't? Jesus christ, why not?

Nobody really considered it back then. In flight games like Starfox you pull the stick back to go up and I guess that control paradigm kind of stuck.

Honestly in my opinion Turok's biggest control crime was forcing lookspring and slope-look now that I think back on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
have i told you that funky or odd looking shareware covers are my current aesthetic? no? well, here you go:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This one rules.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

newmans_owned posted:

have i told you that funky or odd looking shareware covers are my current aesthetic? no? well, here you go:

Holy poo poo, all these own.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
and of course, doom level/content discs are another world entirely. some of them included the shareware releases, but their primary point was to just cram on as much content onto a disc as possible.

i'm sure some of you know of the d!zone discs from wizardworks, but many other software publishers tried to take advantage of doom's craze and put out whatever they could. they didn't care about consent from mappers or developers most of the time (i remember seeing readme's from .WADs that explicitly say "please don't put this on a commercial disc, thank you").

let's start off with the most garish looking cover ever:

THE MAXIMUM DOOM BATTLE

this one is a doozy

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
My dad had the whole spread of D!ZONE discs and while maybe 75% of the stuff on them was garbage, they had this weird front-end program that could combine WADs and convert maps between all the Doom engine games, amongst other things. I remember really wanting to play Hexen maps in Doom II for whatever reason as a kid.

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 7, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

site posted:

I don't give two shits. I'll play it.

Given that this is the old FPS thread, I'm pretty sure that statement was meant as a positive. :v:

Also, it looks great.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

newmans_owned posted:

and of course, doom level/content discs are another world entirely. some of them included the shareware releases, but their primary point was to just cram on as much content onto a disc as possible.

i'm sure some of you know of the d!zone discs from wizardworks, but many other software publishers tried to take advantage of doom's craze and put out whatever they could. they didn't care about consent from mappers or developers most of the time (i remember seeing readme's from .WADs that explicitly say "please don't put this on a commercial disc, thank you").

let's start off with the most garish looking cover ever:

THE MAXIMUM DOOM BATTLE

this one is a doozy

These also own. Maybe it's my own broke brain but I was able to follow that 3rd box cover with no problem. Welp, guess I know what I got to do next :suicide:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I kind of want to see a new compilation disk with a nice front end and everything, picked to be the best of the last two decades of Doom mods. ... and a single terrywad just to gently caress with people. I'm mean like that.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Ah yes, Maximum Heath, the British countryside mod.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Wamdoodle posted:

These also own. Maybe it's my own broke brain but I was able to follow that 3rd box cover with no problem. Welp, guess I know what I got to do next :suicide:

A lot of these shovelware compilations have awesome cover art. I always thought this one was gnarly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Like most of the cool stuff Night Dive releases, I'm not waiting for a sale or discout of any sort. I'll buy Turok remastered both on GOG and Steam and:

RyokoTK posted:

Put "YOU DIED" at the bottom of the screen and it's pretty much Dark Souls, really.

Pretty much this.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

gullah jack posted:

A lot of these shovelware compilations have awesome cover art. I always thought this one was gnarly.
Like Iron Maiden album art

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

Nobody really considered it back then. In flight games like Starfox you pull the stick back to go up and I guess that control paradigm kind of stuck.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you had said that it was non-inverted, and you couldn't fix it.

But it was inverted? Good.

God's chosen y-axis configuration :colbert:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

I spend 45 minutes yesternite to finish the first mission of Operation Serpent, i think i explored the map in the worst possible order before i even found the first key after 30 mins or so. That said, i did enjoy it quite a bit.

Glad you like it! I hope you get all the way to the end because the levels become more and more radical and add more and more features as they progress.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you had said that it was non-inverted, and you couldn't fix it.

But it was inverted? Good.

God's chosen y-axis configuration :colbert:
Well, unless you like playing games with non-inverted analog aim. In which case, it's clumsy as hell. Forgot about the lookspring, though, that's also pretty naff. (I think the analog mode in Saturn Quake has similar issues - lookspring, inverted aim you can't change, and - I forget if Turok has this problem, though I'd imagine it doesn't - you can't look all the way up/down, despite non-analog mode letting you do so.)

I recall seeing this Sega-made Star Wars arcade game at a Chuck E. Cheese's many years ago which also had inverted aim. This kinda-sorta made sense in the space stages (even though you weren't actually steering the vehicle, you were just aiming a turret), but made absolutely no sense when it came to the Darth Vader lightsaber duel bonus stage (aim your saber up? Pull the stick down! (???)).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hail the king

Holy poo poo look at those photorealistic textures :eyepop:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, unless you like playing games with non-inverted analog aim. In which case, it's clumsy as hell. Forgot about the lookspring, though, that's also pretty naff. (I think the analog mode in Saturn Quake has similar issues - lookspring, inverted aim you can't change, and - I forget if Turok has this problem, though I'd imagine it doesn't - you can't look all the way up/down, despite non-analog mode letting you do so.)

Yeah you can look nearly 90° in Turok, it just takes goddamn forever because y-axis look speed decelerates the more you crane Tal'Set's stiff neck.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Hail the king

Holy poo poo look at those photorealistic textures :eyepop:

didn't someone edit in screenshots from that UE4 Doom remake onto one of these

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, unless you like playing games with non-inverted analog aim.

Of course not, why would I?

I really don't understand you non-inverted people :colbert:

EDIT: VVV I know they are, I'm just joking around.

Or am I?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 7, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Of course not, why would I?

I really don't understand you non-inverted people :colbert:
The feeling's mutual, I'm afraid. Probably best we both leave it at that, inverted controls arguments are dumb.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I did my twin-stick shooting with inverted y-aiming for years. Then one day it was like a switch just got flipped in my brain and it felt wrong. I jumped to default Y-aim with no real learning curve and never went back. It was weird.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

I did my twin-stick shooting with inverted y-aiming for years. Then one day it was like a switch just got flipped in my brain and it felt wrong. I jumped to default Y-aim with no real learning curve and never went back. It was weird.

Yeah, I don't get why I need inverted aim, because I never used to when I was a kid, or when I played Goldeneye back in the day, at first. I just know that I absolutely cannot handle it otherwise.

Oddly enough, and this is an argument that gets thrown at me for non-inverted players, is that I'm absolutely fine with left being left, right being right. By my inverted rules, it should be the opposite, but it's not, and I'm totally ok with that. So, yeah, I have no idea why it's different for different people.

Also, Shadow Hog, I was just kidding around. S'all good, man.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah I have always used an inverted y-axis in all FPSes and I can't really explain why. I imagine it must be from playing flight simulators??

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, Shadow Hog, I was just kidding around. S'all good, man.
I know, I know. I wasn't really harboring a grudge or anything, either, we're cool.

That said, I have seriously gotten into arguments over inverted aim, elsewhere. (Although, the person I got into the argument with wound up earning a spot on my block list for that forum over insisting on badgering me about something totally different, even after I told him several times in no uncertain terms that I didn't want to hear it and wanted him to leave me alone, so I guess the guy just had a thing for getting into arguments in general.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 7, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just to make sure, we're all talking about console FPSes, right? Or do some of you actually invert the mouse?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Duke3d was the first FPS I played with a mouse and the default was inverted mouse aiming, so that's how I played until games started defaulting to non-inverted.

Then I guess it was easier to get used to aiming the other way than to manually change the setting every time I started playing a new game :effort:

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 7, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Mouse movements are translations (linear shifts) forward/backwards along one spatial axis, and FPS players map those to a field of view rotating around a different axis. There's no obvious/natural/inarguable way to do that mapping and people have different mental models for it, whether it involves how their neck works or whatever. I hate to just wander into the thread to say AAAARRRRRGH but this topic has been so thoroughly dead-horse-beaten over the years in gaming circles that whenever a Seinfeldian "what is the DEAL with those (non)inverted mouse guys" thing starts up, my eye gets to twitching.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Convex posted:

Duke3d was the first FPS I played with a mouse and the default was inverted mouse aiming, so that's how I played until games started defaulting to non-inverted.

I guess it was easier to get used to aiming the other way than to manually change the setting every time I started playing a new game :effort:

I always got the impression that early mouse controls, much like early stick controls, took their first cue from flight sims and got the idea of (what we now consider) reversed inputs from there. It took a while before “reversed” even meant the same thing across games, IIRC, so you had to test each game to see whether “reversed” was the normal direction or not.

Of course, while everything was 2D + height, it didn't really matter since the axis hardly even existed other than as a potentially (visually) ugly hack.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Linguica posted:

Yeah I have always used an inverted y-axis in all FPSes and I can't really explain why. I imagine it must be from playing flight simulators??
That's why I do it. I played Aces Over Europe / X-Wing years before I started using mouse look in FPS games. When I first played Wolf 3D / Doom I even used my CH Flightstick as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its just a matter of perspective. Normal controls follow the direction of the view, left looks to the left. Inverted controls follow the direction of the camera, it swings to the right to look to the left.

In 3rd person you could tilt up to look upwards, but you could also tilt downwards to rotate the camera downwards thus giving you an upwards view.

For me personally it always made more sense to use normal controls in FPS, but I used to use inverted in flight sims (and some games back in the day would make you) but its always just a matter of perspective.

Its like that image of the dancer spinning where some people see it clockwise and some people see it counter-clockwise. If I look at it for a few seconds I can actually force it to reverse and see it the other way, there's no inherently right answer, its just perspective.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Personally I have two opposing thumbs, my right thumb which is mainly used for aiming in FPSs with a controller, is inverted, anything else feels terrible and unplayable, I've tried many times to reset my brain by forcing myself to play normal but it never works, I'd have to consciously think about the direction every time I moved, which isn't ideal at all.
My left thumb however doesn't give a poo poo, it can be inverted, normal, even the X-axis could be backwards and I can play just fine, but that's mainly for games that have a 'stop and aim' mechanic, like RE4, or for rail shooters.

With a mouse however it's always normal, I can't really get behind inverted mice aiming.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For me it's all inverted everything. Joystick, thumbstick, mouse, whatever. I just can't make my brain work the other way.

Also the dress was white and gold.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It took me until Wolfenstein: The New Order to learn WASD instead of the arrow keys :negative:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

I'm absolutely fine with left being left, right being right. By my inverted rules, it should be the opposite, but it's not, and I'm totally ok with that. So, yeah, I have no idea why it's different for different people.

Depends how you look at it. If you imagine like the stick represents your head, you tilt (turn) your head left to look left, but forward to look down.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That doesn't make any sense to me. A joystick is a steering device, so inverting the Y axis makes sense, whether controlling a plane's rudder or a human neck. A mouse is a pointing device, so ideally there should be a 1:1 correspondence between moving the mouse and moving the crosshair. Joysticks and mice do different things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I invert everything.

Even my trackball. :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I invert everything.

Even my trackball. :ohdear:

Inverted trackball? Isn't that just an awkwardly shaped mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think it's a normal trackball mouse, just held upside-down