Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm just now noticing that despite being a mediator, i'm not getting any tp for using arts. anyone know what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Flying is so fun guys you have no idea.

So fun, my TIP PILE has congealed.

1.Always MAX OUT your Mechanical field skill FIRST. It does double duty in both setting probes AND getting treasure, Biology and Archaeology can wait.

2. You can get a Skell after Chapter 6, and Fly after chapter 9. There are a couple quests involved in getting access to these but if you have been roaming the planet they aren't bad. The flight quest can be resolved in seconds by using Tickets at the barracks to buy the 2 required items.

3. Multiplayer missions become available with each Squad Task resolved. View your Squad Task descriptions by holding R and tapping L when the panel is visible. Squad Mission lobbies will CLOSE as soon as the Squad Task timer runs out, so get into the mission before that happens!

4. Skells are big stronk but don't kid yourself into thinking you are an invincible iron god, tiny enemies can still destroy you if they are high enough level, and giant enemies can one-shot you and cost you insurance if you don't Perfect the soul challenge to bail.

5. READ THE MANUAL IN THE START MENU! It is super good and there is so much to know, oh man. I didn't know so much.

6. if a big fuckoff enemy spots you in the skell just GET OUT IMMEDIATELY if you don't think you can escape, so your skell does not die.

7. When flying press both Descend and Ascend to cut your thrusters and go into freefall - this is a great way to descend quickly and save fuel!

Also there are some scant few probe spots (like 3-5? I can't say for sure anymore) that require Mechanical rank FIVE. But mine maxed at 4, I assume when you hit maximum BLADE rank they just give you a final point in every field skill so who knows.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so whats the deal with unlocking Manufacturers? confusing as hell for me where they are

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Zombie Defiler posted:

Also there are some scant few probe spots (like 3-5? I can't say for sure anymore) that require Mechanical rank FIVE. But mine maxed at 4, I assume when you hit maximum BLADE rank they just give you a final point in every field skill so who knows.

Nah, the game would never make it that easy for you. Each time you reach 4 in a field skill, you unlock a corresponding Off The Record Basic Mission for it, with the objectives replaced by riddles.

MinibarMatchman posted:

so whats the deal with unlocking Manufacturers? confusing as hell for me where they are

4 manufacturers are unlocked by beating chapters 3/4/5, the other 4 are unlocked by doing the missions Prospective Partners, Rescue At The Ensconced Citadel, BFFs, and Professor B's Return.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Some of these enemies are tough over here in sandy bum canyon.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Inflammatory posted:

i'm just now noticing that despite being a mediator, i'm not getting any tp for using arts. anyone know what's up with that?

Yeah. You aren't supposed to get any TP for yourself. It's for your party.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Man gently caress the rear end in a top hat in charge of quest objectives. I have to talk to somebody so I head to where they're supposed to be, but they're missing so now I gotta go find them. Wouldn't be a problem except the quest objective hasn't moved. It is literally telling me my objective hasn't changed, that I need to be right where I'm currently standing, and the surrounding NPCs aren't helping either. I'm on the BFFs quest, anyone mind telling me whereabouts I'm supposed to be looking for Mamapon?

e - Went to the wrong area. Still would be nice if they'd at least gave you an indication of where to look.

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 7, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really like how this game makes use of high-level enemies, which not many games do. A lot of my time has been spent trying to sneak around or run away from enemies that could easily wreck me in seconds. It makes the world feel really alive, hammering in that you've wandered into a hostile alien planet, (not just another land, but a whole different planet!") and everything around you is higher up on the food chain and wants to either eat you or kick you the gently caress out of its territory.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Med School posted:

Where's this chick at? Couldn't find her in the hanger.

Go north from the Blade barracks, past the turning that goes to Armory Alley. On your left you'll find an elevator that takes you down to the lower level. Yeah, it took me several days to notice that there was a lower level. She's down there somewhere.

Also, after talking to the two guys next to her I realised I'd done a quest involving these three earlier outside the city, had to find one of the guys and then find his comms unit, so you might need to have done that before they show up in the city?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Med School posted:

Cooking crucifying him should be a legit option

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Thanks. Every time I try to get that guys con device there's some lvl
30s or so guarding it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So a lot of times if I speak to a dude and they have a name and portrait chances are they can join my party right?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Yeah. You aren't supposed to get any TP for yourself. It's for your party.

i don't think it's doing that either though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Augus posted:

I really like how this game makes use of high-level enemies, which not many games do. A lot of my time has been spent trying to sneak around or run away from enemies that could easily wreck me in seconds. It makes the world feel really alive, hammering in that you've wandered into a hostile alien planet, (not just another land, but a whole different planet!") and everything around you is higher up on the food chain and wants to either eat you or kick you the gently caress out of its territory.

One of the things I really like about enemies level spread is that I don't really have to worry about over-leveling because there is always going to be something for me to fight. This one of my big problems in the original xenoblade, and I really like this change.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Not a huge fan of the Skell battle theme, even less so of the Skell Overdrive theme.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It's a shame that really low level enemies still try and kill you though. Course, it doesn't really matter once you get a Skell, but that takes a while. On the note of Skells, I like how some larger enemies are only hostile to you when you're in one.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Inflammatory posted:

i don't think it's doing that either though.

You should double check that, although it is hard to keep an eye on that while everything else is going on. Have a capture device?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I especially like the Sky Whales that are everywhere. Like, I'm walking on the side of a cliff over the ocean and suddenly a Sky Whale flies right past me! They're so majestic...

Saigyouji posted:

It's a shame that really low level enemies still try and kill you though. Course, it doesn't really matter once you get a Skell, but that takes a while. On the note of Skells, I like how some larger enemies are only hostile to you when you're in one.

It'd be funny if after a certain level difference the hostile enemies stopped being hostile and just started actively keeping a distance from you because they know you're trouble.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got my Skell. :toot: Now to get to level 30 so I can give everyone else on my team a Skell.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man Yelv's unique art that swaps HP and TP seems like it'd be GROSSLY overpowered in the correct situation. I'm pretty sure you could use it in Overdrive to do some goofy poo poo, for instance.

Edit: I'm also really loving about exceedingly, haha. I'm like 16 hours in and haven't even done Chapter 4 yet. I just constantly see things in the distance and wonder how to get to them, it's a fun challenge to figure out sometimes. I'm sure flying mostly negates a lot of this exploration, so I'm fine with how long I'm taking.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I thought managing the Skell fuel was going to be a hassle but binding enemies solves that problem nicely.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Med School posted:

30s or so guarding it.

Grab it at night. I don't know if they're supposed to be asleep or if aggro ranges are just shorter at night or whatever, but you should be able to grab it if you approach the item from the other side from them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So a lot of times if I speak to a dude and they have a name and portrait chances are they can join my party right?

Everyone has a name and a portrait including the manager of the local coffee shop, so I don't think so.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
How do you switch divisions? I've read the manual and I still can't figure it out.

Also, are you able to gain division points for performing actions when not joined with that division? Like, if I go a trapezing across Mira slaughtering Tyrants, am I better off switching to Avalanche for the division point bonuses or will they be acquired automatically even if I stick with the Pathfinders?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alris posted:

How do you switch divisions? I've read the manual and I still can't figure it out.

Also, are you able to gain division points for performing actions when not joined with that division? Like, if I go a trapezing across Mira slaughtering Tyrants, am I better off switching to Avalanche for the division point bonuses or will they be acquired automatically even if I stick with the Pathfinders?

Go to the terminal in the barracks and there is a Division option that lets you switch.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
for the second question, you get division points from doing pretty much everything, the specific division just means you get a bonus for certain things. so you still get points for killing tyrants even if you're a pathfinder. just not as many as you would if you were a harrier.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just finished The Miracle Maker. drat, I didn't expect a basic side mission without voiceacting to get this dark.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Game tried to guilt trip me for slaughtering a bunch of alien pigs. smh.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Game tried to guilt trip me for slaughtering a bunch of alien pigs. smh.

I hope you satisfied your endless blood lust, you heartless baby killer. :mad:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I told the NPC to gently caress off and he got all indignant which made me laugh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We have to *STAB* learn to live *BLAMBLAMBLAM* in harmony with *ZAPBOOMBOOMBOOM* the native species!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Med School posted:

30s or so guarding it.

It's to teach you some aggro mechanics. Walk, don't run, directly between the lvl30s. Their heads are pointed outward, so they won't see you if you walk in between them to the object, but they will see you if you try to walk around them. They don't aggro based purely on range, but on a cone of view in the direction they are looking.

I say walk because I've heard it reduces aggro range, but I can't confirm.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm hoping that this game either becomes a prequel to the first Xenoblade with the experiments, or a sequel in which we find that Mira is the future version of the Shulk envisioned world of the end of the last Xenoblade. It would also explain why the Nopon are there. A man can dream.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm a chapter away from getting a Skell, all I have to do is the prerequisite missions and I'm good to go. It's gonna bug me all day in work tomorrow :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

horriblePencilist posted:

I just finished The Miracle Maker. drat, I didn't expect a basic side mission without voiceacting to get this dark.

They put a ton of effort into some of these side missions. Unique models/animations/effects abound. And based on your choices you can save/kill a staggering number of NPCs who often have followup quests later.

Also there are so many kinds of aliens you can move to NLA. I think I'm up to 8 species now just by doing the sidequests after chapter 6.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chaosapiant posted:

I'm hoping that this game either becomes a prequel to the first Xenoblade with the experiments, or a sequel in which we find that Mira is the future version of the Shulk envisioned world of the end of the last Xenoblade. It would also explain why the Nopon are there. A man can dream.

It's actually a prequel to Zeno Clash

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So...Shulk's VA is Anders from Dragon Age II. Neat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yes, good

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any way to change the controls? They feel kind of clunky. I am not sure why R and pushing in the joysticks are so heavily used, but it seems like X and Y are barely used and the trigger is just jump. Basically I wish R was anything but R, it makes it awkward to use other buttons that the triggers and face buttons do not.

Also, what bonus is there for completing a squad mission? I killed a bunch of things for one, everything was completed, and then it just ended? I don't recall getting any award.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
The skell flight theme song is the best. Too bad it restarts if you land even for just a second so I've only heard the end once.

Also has anyone figured out what the benefit is to using light armor/light skells? Having less gravity resist and a few less upgrade slots doesn't seem to make as big a difference as the extra defence you get from heavy armor. For skells I know the lighter armor gives you an evasion bonus but you can just put the light armor on the heavy skell and get the evasion bonus with the higher fuel capacity of the heavy skell.

• Locked thread