Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what do they want. do they want the US to drop a couple of thousand troops down there and have another war in iraq?

Yes, because putting actual troops in Iraq means that Obama was wrong and Bush was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

do these people even know what Marxist means? and that trump was parodied long before his political maneuvers

See Orwell's famous quote on fascism.

quote:

what do they want. do they want the US to drop a couple of thousand troops down there and have another war in iraq? I mean i think they are stupid fuckheads, but i wondering is airstrikes and spec ops is going to be enough. If we have to play world police, i would rather do it under a liberal then whatever the GOP puts out.

They want the US military to kill Muslims.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Dapper_Swindler posted:

do these people even know what Marxist means? and that trump was parodied long before his political maneuvers

what do they want. do they want the US to drop a couple of thousand troops down there and have another war in iraq? I mean i think they are stupid fuckheads, but i wondering is airstrikes and spec ops is going to be enough. If we have to play world police, i would rather do it under a liberal then whatever the GOP puts out.

Most of the GOP candidates are on record supporting tens of thousands of U.S. troops in Iraq and Syria.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They want to shout loudly about how Obama is weak, and no matter what he does, they will act as if it's not enough, in a pissy attempt to seem more manly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
https://www.jebbush.com

Click the link

I love this cycle

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait what? Man they really unskewed the hell out of those polls didn't they?

Reminder that it was well into election day 2012 before the Romneys were persuaded to consider the mere possibility that they might not win, to the point where Mitt had to scramble to write a concession speech in time (he'd been fussing around with his anticipated victory speech on the flight back from Ohio), and they had a huge barge of about $25k of fireworks waiting in Boston Harbor which had to be sent back.

Then of course there was his president-elect webpage which leaked shortly after his resounding defeat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Click the link

I love this cycle

Hahaha, I've never seen a former governor owned so constantly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fried Chicken posted:

Click the link

I love this cycle

The most interesting thing about this is that a domain squatter also has donaldtrump.com which makes his website donaldjtrump.com.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what they want is for the US to implement the Final Solution to the Muslim Question. only the saudis can stick around, at least until the oil's gone

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Adar posted:

Given the staying power of the average GOP voter I fully expect this means either Rubio or Jeb actually win, but yeah, Trump is finally dead now.
Your optimism is endearing if you think this means death for Trump.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, Trump is eternal.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait what? Man they really unskewed the hell out of those polls didn't they?

She was First Lady of Massachusetts. Similar as to how Mitt is referred to as Governor Romney in direct address. You basically keep your highest title in direct address, even after you leave.

e: I guess Wikipedia says that technically, you do not keep "Governor" or "President" when you leave, but the use of it has been in fashion for a long time.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 7, 2015

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

American populists like Trump, Dean, Perot and every other name you can think of in the past few decades have huge blocks of voters until they lose something. As soon as they do the crowds move on to the next hotness. 2012 was just the cycle expressing itself faster than usual.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Trump is going to cap out at 40% of republicans max which will look okay in the states like Iowa who vote 100% on personality with a field of 10 but will get him trashed with a field of 3 on Super Tuesday.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Aerox posted:

This is a couple days old, but I don't remember seeing it posted over the weekend. Apologies if it already was.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/jeb-bush-donors-polls-216436

This is simultaneously a pretty smart idea for Bush personally and a hilariously terrible idea for the Republican party as a whole.

Unskewed polls 2016: The polls are coming from inside the party!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Here's the short list for Time's Person of the Year

quote:

Black Lives Matter activists, who have protested inequality towards African Americans, especially in their treatment by law enforcement.

Caitlyn Jenner, whose coming out as a transgender woman prompted widespread conversations about gender identity and issues of equality for the LGBT community.

Travis Kalanick, who as CEO of Uber drove his car-hailing company to a nearly $70 billion valuation, but also drew criticism about the downside of the sharing economy.

Angela Merkel, who as German chancellor has been at the center of major news events this year, from economic strife in the Eurozone to Europe’s ongoing migrant crisis.

Vladimir Putin, who as president of Russia has defied Western sanctions over his country’s military activity in Ukraine to play a critical but precarious role in the war on ISIS.

Hassan Rouhani, who as president of Iran is seeking to bring his country out of pariah status and repair its sanctions-crippled economy by pursuing a nuclear deal with the West.

Donald Trump, whose populist rhetoric has made him frontrunner in the race for the Republican presidential candidacy and stirred debate about the party’s future.

I'd give it to BLM activists.

VVVVV that's another good one

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 7, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd go with Rouhani. Can't be easy doing what he is getting done.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Can someone explain why Kalanick deserves to be on that short list?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
It's going to either be Putin or Trump; my money is on Putin.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Remembering that it's not supposed to be an honor, I'd pick Putin. If it was America-centric, Trump would win as a nuclear bomb on the Republican Primary, Merkel would be good for Europe-centric, but really the most internationally-stretching mover and shaker this year of that group has been Putin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwinsensRevenge posted:

Hitler was Man of the Year twice.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

TwinsensRevenge posted:

If they instead did the "Sharing Economy" as a whole, it'd make more sense. Uber is just a very visible company in a string of companies attempting to "disrupt" things by ignoring current laws.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

foobardog posted:

Remembering that it's not supposed to be an honor, I'd pick Putin. If it was America-centric, Trump would win as a nuclear bomb on the Republican Primary, Merkel would be good for Europe-centric, but really the most internationally-stretching mover and shaker this year of that group has been Putin.

Time gave that up just after the turn of the century :v:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Good Plumline on GOP Governance, such as it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/12/07/this-one-anecdote-perfectly-explains-todays-gop/

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Time gave that up just after the turn of the century :v:

They need to take my opinion seriously as a former Person of the Year. :colbert:

e: Two-time Person of the Year!

foobardog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That pussy commenter wasn't the only Fox News contributor reduced to cusses in the face of Obama's cowering obeisance before of Radical Islam.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Bip Roberts posted:

Trump is going to cap out at 40% of republicans max which will look okay in the states like Iowa who vote 100% on personality with a field of 10 but will get him trashed with a field of 3 on Super Tuesday.

The problem with this theory is that all of his competition is awful.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Trump will demand $5 million to allow Time to pick him as person of the year.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

zoux posted:

Hitler was Man of the Year twice.

I'm aware the award doesn't go to the nicest man of the year, but I don't think Kalanick has done anything personally to warrant being "the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year". He is a by-the-numbers tech CE-bro.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bip Roberts posted:

One thing that has come up before, and which I tend to agree with, is that Trump may suffer significantly from Iowa being a caucus state. Caucuses are, frankly, pretty drat boring if you're not invested in state-level party politics and time consuming even if you are, given their structure. Since Trump's big crowds tend to turn out as much to scream invective and hear it fed back to them, he may have alarmingly low-turnout come the caucus, which he seems at least vaguely aware of himself with his "for gently caress's sake go vote for me even if your wife's cheating on you!" line from two days ago.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I tuned out for Obamas big speech. How much of it was terrorism and how much of it was guns?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

theblackw0lf posted:

Here's the short list for Time's Person of the Year

I'd give it to BLM activists.

VVVVV that's another good one

Rouhani or Merkel. She's been in the middle of basically everything huge this year, for better or worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwinsensRevenge posted:

I'm aware the award doesn't go to the nicest man of the year, but I don't think Kalanick has done anything personally to warrant being "the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year". He is a by-the-numbers tech CE-bro.

The real criteria for the award is "person who is going to generate the most attention for us from other media outlets" which is why Caitlyn Jenner is on the list.

Uber is controversial and in the news, is why.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
It should be Donald Trump because he blew up the GOPs primary process, possible for good. It will be Caitlyn Jenner however because praising her allows them to appear stunning and brave without any real controversy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm inclined to start rejecting Monmouth polling outright. New CNN poll of IA voters Has Trump at 33%, Cruz at 20 and Carson at 16. I know polling this far out is worthless but there should at least be agreement between polls conducted at the same time.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mulva posted:

It should be Donald Trump because he blew up the GOPs primary process, possible for good. It will be Caitlyn Jenner however because praising her allows them to appear stunning and brave without any real controversy.

Uhuh. Because Time totally doesn't ever do anything controversial with this.

Really it aught to be Al-Baghdadi, because he's turned ISIS from JV league terror squad into a fuckin caliphate.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Really it aught to be Al-Baghdadi, because he's turned ISIS from JV league terror squad into a fuckin caliphate.

Not recently, not since they whiffed on making it OBL in 2001

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ever since they decided to give it to Giuliani, I haven't believed they'll really go controversial.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Time's Person of the Year 2015 is "Turn Off Your Monitor".

Get ready for another Trump Bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Mulva posted:

Not recently, not since they whiffed on making it OBL in 2001

Apparently, the backlash from picking the Ayatollah after the Iranian Revolution has made them not bother. Additionally when they decided to not pick Hitler for Person of the Century in 1999.

• Locked thread