Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Delay and quality in 3rd party VOIP is marginally better, that's reason enough, but if you're playing with friends you probably want to talk to them not in game. And in other games. And when ESL wire doesn't work. And if you wanna get real mad at your opponents without it being saved on the CSGO demo for them to laugh at you.

I can't think of a single good reason to prefer in-game to VOIP. Sounds better, more customisable, more flexible, more private. Even if it's just you and a mate, might get a little awkward when you wanna whine about how poo poo your teammates are on shared voice chat all game. Which I always do, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

canoshiz posted:

I don't get it, isn't the whole point of a double elimination bracket the fact that everyone has to lose twice to be eliminated? Shouldn't fnatic have to had win 2 bo3 matches since they were coming from the loser's bracket? I feel like just having the advantage on the map veto process isn't that good for the team that qualified for grand finals through the winner's bracket.

How much

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

mcvey posted:

How much

My net worth in skins is about 10 cents, so, nothing :v:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It is true that map veto advantage is a joke, and so is a bo3 for any Grand Final except for $100 online cups. A Grand Final with winner/loser brackets should be bo5 with 1-map advantage, or two consecutive bo3's, where the upper bracket has to win 1, the lower bracket both.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

is there a goon discord yet?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Photex posted:

Just make one, it's completely free.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

Delay and quality in 3rd party VOIP is marginally better, that's reason enough, but if you're playing with friends you probably want to talk to them not in game. And in other games. And when ESL wire doesn't work. And if you wanna get real mad at your opponents without it being saved on the CSGO demo for them to laugh at you.

I can't think of a single good reason to prefer in-game to VOIP. Sounds better, more customisable, more flexible, more private. Even if it's just you and a mate, might get a little awkward when you wanna whine about how poo poo your teammates are on shared voice chat all game. Which I always do, thank you.

What about if you want to whine about your friends to yourself

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

It is true that map veto advantage is a joke, and so is a bo3 for any Grand Final except for $100 online cups. A Grand Final with winner/loser brackets should be bo5 with 1-map advantage, or two consecutive bo3's, where the upper bracket has to win 1, the lower bracket both.
Map advantage is not just a small advantage, it's a huge freaking advantage. It's literally the same thing as giving a free goal to the stronger team in a game of soccer. To me your reward for winning the upper bracket should be going straight to the finals (which is typically what happens), as playing less matches in the tournament automatically gives you a higher chance of winning the whole thing than if you had to play another day of games and risk getting knocked out, and also you get to view more of your prospective opponent's games and develop a better strategy for them. I would be completely fine with there being absolutely no technical advantage and it just being a normal BO3/5.

qhat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 6, 2015

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The whole point of double elim is that you have to lose twice to get knocked out of the tournament. The fairest, most logical and easiest to implement grand finals that keeps this in mind is to have the losers win 2 matches to win the tournament. I guess it just confuses me that they would deviate from this and instead convolute it to this whole map veto advantage thing that defeats the purpose of double elimination. Picking the first map is a huge advantage, sure, but no way could you convince me that it's an equivalent replacement for winning one whole bo3 set.

Apparently ESEA tried this once (standard double elim) and everyone hated it which honestly completely blows my mind.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Edit: Nevermind, I'll do the numbers first.

qhat fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 7, 2015

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I think its stupid that they can elimanate maps. I tried to watch one of the recent tournaments and all they played was cobble 8 times in a row

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pookum posted:

I think its stupid that they can elimanate maps. I tried to watch one of the recent tournaments and all they played was cobble 8 times in a row
Map elimination is there so that teams can focus on learning a few maps well instead of just doing pug strategies on 8 maps and practising nothing but aiming. What happens then is that teams actually begin to excel at doing particular thing on a particular map, hence all they play, at least the times I've tried to watch, are various B-tier maps that no one prepares for. This is not the problem map elimination, this is problem of maps themselves, and the players.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

I just made one so there is now, click here to be taken to it

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Teamspeak/skype has noticably better sound quality than the ingame voice, and the minute it takes to set it up before you start queuing for a game is always worth it. The ingame codec is okay and better than it was six months ago, but it's still a lot worse than every other 3rd party alternative

The codec used in counter-strike is CELT, which is a voice-optimized codec that's been used until Mumble's 1.2.4. If you haven't updated Mumble in like a year, you're probably still using it.

The new codec that Mumble uses is Opus, which is literally the best audio codec that's ever existed. However, while it is much better in general than CELT ever could be, CELT is part of the Opus specification for a reason: it's already drat good. For most speech, Opus will use the SILK specification, which is what Skype uses.

Finally, I can guarantee that Ventrilo is worse than the Counter-Strike codec in every conceivable way and any notions you might have to the contrary are placebo because you tend to hear russians whining in CS.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 7, 2015

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Welp that's it. Allu is out of NIP

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Hollenhammer posted:

i'm not surprised, he belongs on a team that can close out games.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Photex posted:

i'm not surprised, he belongs on a team that can close out games.

Absolutely.
I'm excited anticipating further roster moves

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Hollenhammer posted:

Get_Right to C9, Allu to Liquid. NiP disband.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

gonna miss the allu/GTR banter on voice comms though. "you gotta push it like you push your girlfriend"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Capt. Sticl posted:

Get_Right to C9, Allu to Liquid. NiP disband.

Gtr already confirmed on twitter that a move C9 is out of the question.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

UNF... imagine a steven universe X undertale skin for the AWP :allears:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Dongicus posted:

While I would like this, there is no way it would happen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

They did overstep the line with waifu AUG already.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Don't trash talk the best skin in the game, please. It's a crime that it's so rare and expensive and on a weapon that never gets used

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I use AUG from time to time since I have seething hatred for M4 in CS:GO.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Bohemian Nights posted:

Don't trash talk the best skin in the game, please. It's a crime that it's so rare and expensive and on a weapon that never gets used

If I had that skin I'd never use the m4 again

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dongicus posted:

The word of the day is "copyright".

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

kalstrams posted:

I use AUG from time to time since I have seething hatred for M4 in CS:GO.

Why? Is dope.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ranked up to LEM last night/this morning, I've been off my game generally going 1:1, whiffing stupidly easy shots and poo poo like that, but 4/5 of the last games I played in LE were pretty good matches, communicative teams, the matches were close etc etc etc, even had some games with some bad vibers but the rest of the team ignored it and just kept playing instead of tilting.

One game on overpass we just crushed the other team, I partied up with a few dudes and the next game we hit inferno and they ended up being turds, accusing some dude of hacking (I highly doubt he was, but he did hit a bunch of ridic shots) and we got blown out like 16-8. Partying with random MM dudes is such a crapshoot.

basically solo queue MM is a shake of the dice.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fennesz posted:

Why? Is dope.
I have not spent enough time with 20 bullet silenced M4 to get used to it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

For me it's been pretty consistently spending 1-1.5 months at each rank before ranking up ever since I hit MGE. I'm LEM at the moment too.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

qhat posted:

For me it's been pretty consistently spending 1-1.5 months at each rank before ranking up ever since I hit MGE. I'm LEM at the moment too.

This but every rank since Silver II except a couple weeks after the ban wave where I gained 2 ranks.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I rocketed out of silver but got stuck at gold nova master, I think its because I was only playing one game a month.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pookum posted:

I rocketed out of silver but got stuck at gold nova master, I think its because I was only playing one game a month.
For me, it was the opposite. Took me 101 wins to go from Silver II to Gold Nova I. It's only taken me 75 to get from Gold Nova 1 to DMG, but pretty much LE/LEM level at this point from constant goonmanning (as the goons I queued Mirage with last night can attest to).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Is anyone watching VP-HR? It's quite awesome.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tevery Best posted:

Last time I checked, byali was going 3-15 and they were still winning, albeit by a small margin.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Tevery Best posted:

VP and HR are my favorite teams to watch, I'm loving the poo poo out of this matchup. I missed the middle of overpass, got back in time to watch VP come back.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

symbolic posted:

For me, it was the opposite. Took me 101 wins to go from Silver II to Gold Nova I. It's only taken me 75 to get from Gold Nova 1 to DMG, but pretty much LE/LEM level at this point from constant goonmanning (as the goons I queued Mirage with last night can attest to).

35 wins to go from never having played a CS game before to MG1. :shrug: I guess my 1000+ hours of TF2 managed to impart some gamesense.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

xsf421 posted:

35 wins to go from never having played a CS game before to MG1. :shrug: I guess my 1000+ hours of TF2 managed to impart some gamesense.
Except I was in the same situation, and it still took me that long to progress in ranks. 1100 hours in TF2 and two seasons of UGC Highlander under my belt, and GO was my first CS game ever. Placed Silver II, because apparently rocket launcher skills don't transfer well to Counter-Strike. Who knew? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

symbolic posted:

Last time I checked, byali was going 3-15 and they were still winning, albeit by a small margin.

Pasha is quite big today. He had a masterful play where he snuck through a wall of smokes they put up on CT-stacked A site and ran into the tunnels, then down to the now-empty B. Amazing stuff.

EDIT: VP into a double scout CT-side Mirage after a lost pistol, pasha tags 3 or 4 guys with it :stare:

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2015

• Locked thread