Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Saw this on the Inara gallery..

me gusta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Saw this on the Inara gallery..

me gusta

:hellyeah:

do we know of any planets with gigantic ridges and canyons near goat?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Spaseman posted:

Is there a reliable way to see if there is an Adder for sale in a system near me?

If you don't want to rely on out-of-game sources, just go into your galaxy map, filter for high tech and industrial systems and move the population slider a bit to the right to filter out all those backwaters with like 1 outpost and 5 guys living there.

It doesn't always help, exotic ships like the Imperial Eagle are sometimes not in places you'd expect them to, but the Adder is common enough you should find it pretty fast.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

This worked perfectly, thank you.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

The FDL is the cheaper of the "high end" ships out there. You'll just have to give it a shot to see if you like it. The jump range is deplorable (13.8ly w/ a pve fit), there's no room for cargo and you sacrifice those 2 big purrdy C3 hardpoints on the Vulture for 4 C2 (medium) hardpoints and one big fuckoff hardpoint (That you don't even really have enough power to run the giant electric space penis on).

That being said, she handles like a Vulture, which is saying a lot for the larger/more expensive ships.

I've only just got my FDL, but I'm running something like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4E6A4A3C2c1b1b1b1b00000m0404024a32f40100.Iw1+gDOQ.MwBhBYy6wRm0Yg==

The giant electric space penis seems to power just fine, and this is before the buff that the powerplant will get in 1.5, with another 5MW...
(No SCBs on it right now, and I've yet to shoot anything as I'm trundling back from far away, hence the additional fuel tank)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

legooolas posted:

I've only just got my FDL, but I'm running something like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/05A5A4A4E6A4A3C2c1b1b1b1b00000m0404024a32f40100.Iw1+gDOQ.MwBhBYy6wRm0Yg==

The giant electric space penis seems to power just fine, and this is before the buff that the powerplant will get in 1.5, with another 5MW...
(No SCBs on it right now, and I've yet to shoot anything as I'm trundling back from far away, hence the additional fuel tank)

I can't actually open coriolis at work anymore.

What kind of shield are you running? I'm also running a single C4 SCB. :D Gotta have that shield boost.

I believe Prismatic shields also soak up more power than the traditional max sized offering and I'm running one of those as well.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

I can't actually open coriolis at work anymore.

What kind of shield are you running? I'm also running a single C4 SCB. :D Gotta have that shield boost.

I believe Prismatic shields also soak up more power than the traditional max sized offering and I'm running one of those as well.

C5 standard (non-green) shields and two A boosters. I've also been fiddling about a bit with having modules like extra chaff which are switched off so that I only power them on when needed (e.g. when the first chaff runs out, or when the KWS has done its thing for the current target). I guess you'll want the 5MW buff then :) Using the priority on modules it's pretty neat to have, say, the KWS disable automatically when enabling an extra chaff module.

Talking of enabling/disabling modules, is it possible to set them to a hot-key/stick button, or even using voice attack? I've only been trying this for a little while, to have a go with squeezing as much out of the available power as possible, so it might just get annoying fast anyway...

edit: Pretty much A-class everything else, including sensors (but not life support).
This is easier to set up power-wise than the Vulture from what I've tried so far.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Question about faction weapons/upgrades: once you get to rank 3, can you always buy the faction weapon/upgrade afterwards even if you go down in rank or leave the faction, or does can you only buy the upgrade while at or above rank 3?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Question about faction weapons/upgrades: once you get to rank 3, can you always buy the faction weapon/upgrade afterwards even if you go down in rank or leave the faction, or does can you only buy the upgrade while at or above rank 3?

Gotta be at rank 3 to buy.

It's only 13 ships once you make the first 750 (25 ship) payoff. Easiest grind ever.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SciFiDownBeat posted:

You have to stay in the faction (at any rank) for a month, then you are allowed to buy (rank 3 and above) the faction's special gizmo. Afterwords, you can let it slide down in rank, until you grind back up to 3 so you can buy again.

If you leave or defect to another faction, you start the 4 week probationary period all over again - even if you later go back to your original one.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

After hours of flight practice (my landings are still sort of sketchy), I started playing the actual game last night.

I then proceeded to run out of fuel, end up at stations that would not let me dock then PKed by someone shortly after I found a station that would actually give me a mission...

How do I build my cash reserves up? Can I save scum the Bulletin Board until it gives me a mission I can do somehow instead of aimlessly traveling space looking for stations?

My cargo hold is 4 units so it seems the game doesn't want me to start out as a trader.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

longtimelurker posted:

After hours of flight practice (my landings are still sort of sketchy), I started playing the actual game last night.

I then proceeded to run out of fuel, end up at stations that would not let me dock then PKed by someone shortly after I found a station that would actually give me a mission...

How do I build my cash reserves up? Can I save scum the Bulletin Board until it gives me a mission I can do somehow instead of aimlessly traveling space looking for stations?

My cargo hold is 4 units so it seems the game doesn't want me to start out as a trader.

My first chunk of the game went like this a few months ago:

1.) Grind ez bounties and delivery missions until I could buy and insure a Hauler with a fuel scoop.
2.) Use the Hauler's wider warp range to fly all the way out to Goonspace, taking the time to scan everything on my way.
3.) Arrive in goonspace and sell all that exploration data that I scanned for a chunk of change
4.) Grind delivery missions until I could afford a Cobra.

I haven't played for a while, but pretty much I was swapping between a Cobra and a Type-6 for a while, before I had to sell the Type-6 and fly to the new Goonspace.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

My past 2 weeks have been like this:

1) Fly around doing random missions, barely eking out any cash until I get some good smuggling missions.
2) Get out of newbie area
3) Wow I'm making a lot of cash on exploration data but these missions suck
4) Get blown up by pirates. gently caress you :argh:
5) Finally scrape together an Eagle and have fun flying and shooting
6) Get carried with a Goon Wing, shoot things, have fun, make money
7) Oh wow I have millions now I can buy a Cobra and shoot things some more.

When I get bored of shooting things, I'll refit the Cobra for a Robigo or rare-trading circuit.

Basically fumble around as a newbie and when you are sick of things, yell in IRC for some assistance and someone will come boost you some cash.

longtimelurker posted:

Yeah you can switch between Open/Solo/Private play to refresh the missions.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

longtimelurker posted:

Keep an eye out for smuggling missions. They're the mission icon that looks like a hexagonal container and an arrow with a skull behind them. They are easy as poo poo and pay out a lot more than the simple deliveries and courier type missions. Also don't worry about getting caught yet, but you won't always even encounter cops anyway.

When I restarted my game after not touching it since the beta and had to start over from scratch, I pretty much did smuggling exclusively, only taking other missions if they happened to share the same station. I had my choice of Hauler, Viper or Adder within 1-2 hours of play.

I don't understand why you seemingly can't find any missions to do though. That part doesn't make sense. There should always be at least some missions available at every station. And furthermore, stations will only refuse to let you dock if they're hostile, which shouldn't be the case at all for a newbie, or if they're full--but anything larger than an outpost is always going to have many many more landing pads than they'll ever need.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HiroProtagonist posted:

Keep an eye out for smuggling missions. They're the mission icon that looks like a hexagonal container and an arrow with a skull behind them. They are easy as poo poo and pay out a lot more than the simple deliveries and courier type missions. Also don't worry about getting caught yet, but you won't always even encounter cops anyway.

When I restarted my game after not touching it since the beta and had to start over from scratch, I pretty much did smuggling exclusively, only taking other missions if they happened to share the same station. I had my choice of Hauler, Viper or Adder within 1-2 hours of play.

Smuggling Pro-tip: Prioritize smuggling missions where the destination is an Outpost, as opposed to a Station. The outposts are the smaller-type stations with external landing pads. They never have cops.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

Are smuggling missions more frequent in certain areas? Like anarchy systems?

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

longtimelurker posted:

Highlighted the relevant part above, since that drove me crazy for a while when I started a week ago. The trick is that you have to be within 7.5 km of the station before they'll approve your docking request.
When you do land, if you're facing backwards on the landing pad you'll just scrape around and not "lock" to the pad.

Both of those things caused no end up heartache until I figured it out. :bang:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Plus the smaller outpost stations only have a couple landing pads on them, which can be occupied for extended periods sometimes. There've been some days where I had to just spam docking requests for a few minutes waiting for a pad to clear up.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

http://imgur.com/a/4jk6l

:goatsecx:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Goredema posted:

Highlighted the relevant part above, since that drove me crazy for a while when I started a week ago. The trick is that you have to be within 7.5 km of the station before they'll approve your docking request.
When you do land, if you're facing backwards on the landing pad you'll just scrape around and not "lock" to the pad.

Both of those things caused no end up heartache until I figured it out. :bang:

It's not easy to tell which way is 'backwards' when docking at an outpost, especially when you are a long way out and can't see the number. You should always dock with the number the right way round, at the end of the pad where your ship's nose will point.

As a general rule of thumb though, if there is a big tall structure one end of the landing pad that would block an approach from that direction, whilst the other side is clear, then you can be sure the correct landing orientation is the dumb one.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Valatar posted:

Plus the smaller outpost stations only have a couple landing pads on them, which can be occupied for extended periods sometimes. There've been some days where I had to just spam docking requests for a few minutes waiting for a pad to clear up.

In Open Play, docking at an outpost in or around the starting systems is a lost cause.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

xiansi posted:

It's not easy to tell which way is 'backwards' when docking at an outpost, especially when you are a long way out and can't see the number. You should always dock with the number the right way round, at the end of the pad where your ship's nose will point.

As a general rule of thumb though, if there is a big tall structure one end of the landing pad that would block an approach from that direction, whilst the other side is clear, then you can be sure the correct landing orientation is the dumb one.

Even if you come at it the wrong way, the landing pad will be oriented correctly on your hud, while your ship will be pointing the wrong way. Spin 180 and touchdown for landing!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
The part of the pad at a 45 degree angle with an upward chevron should be at your tail. That's how i always orient myself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

YellerBill posted:

In Open Play, docking at an outpost in or around the starting systems is a lost cause.

Yeah, in that case you always have to drop to solo or private and start spamming docking requests. (I had cases where NPCs replaced the players blocking my pads. :shepface:)

Luckily Frontier made it so NPCs get expelled if a player can't dock at an outpost. You just have wait a while (and keep spamming, because sometimes expelled NPCs try to dock again).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

longtimelurker posted:

How do I build my cash reserves up?

Hop into IRC (see the PGS thread) and ask somebody to take you bounty hunting. Carrying new goons to modest riches is a favorite pastime of many of us.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006