Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

punakone posted:

Whos Max Blumenthal?

A pretty renown American journalist/blogger who follows far-right movements in the world. Known for his work in the Gaza strip and Israeli occupation in the area. Does work for Alternet.org. So yeah, he's a leftie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

Wow, crazy to see good ol' Töölö, the Espoo of Helsinki, run over by the hoi polloi. Won't they go back to burning vastaanottokeskuksia in the boondocks and let us shop our IPA-du-jour at Paasikiven Alko in peace.

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

Just the other day, on my way to my hotel room in one of the most garish of post-soviet monuments in Eastern Europe, I was slightly inconvenenced by a bunch of Slav nationalists in their 20€ second hand leather jackets. What a bunch of Nazis! I literally had to take the elevator to the 26th floor and have a beer to calm my nerves before bed.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pussy Noise posted:

Just the other day, on my way to my hotel room in one of the most garish of post-soviet monuments in Eastern Europe, I was slightly inconvenenced by a bunch of Slav nationalists in their 20€ second hand leather jackets. What a bunch of Nazis! I literally had to take the elevator to the 26th floor and have a beer to calm my nerves before bed.

I saw a suspicious black guy the other day

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Who knows, maybe that quip about Finnish men raping women indoors was a (bad) joke. But then again, there are convicted rapists in TF...

What I'm saying is that the comedy never stops.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
http://www.verkkouutiset.fi/kotimaa/dubai%20norja-44078

I am. Well, me. But this can't be real.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Rexroom posted:

A pretty renown American journalist/blogger who follows far-right movements in the world. Known for his work in the Gaza strip and Israeli occupation in the area. Does work for Alternet.org. So yeah, he's a leftie.

Lyhyesti sanottuna, hän on kukkahattu joka imee Muhammedin kullia?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Politics aside, scariest thing out of this independence day is the demands for removing human rights for certain people. Surely this will not backfire at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

What was he suspicious of?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
This isn't the last step.

1. The government begins to tack on benefits. Unemployment benefits. Welfare benefits. Social Security benefits. Medical benefits.
2. Then they make everything complicated ON PURPOSE.
3. Then it STILL isn't enough to lift people out of poverty (which was never the plan from the start).
4. So after they run this game for a bit, they say HEY! I have a brilliant idea! Let's scrap all the benefits and just roll it into a one big lump sum payment (from the government) into your pocket on a weekly schedule!
5. Now they just wait for the right crisis to hit that throws most people on government rolls. Some economic error that forces most people into this system.
5. Now they declare every freaking aspect of your life is effectively owned by the government (in the name of making this system as efficient as possible). You wouldn't want to WASTE government money by running this inefficiently, now WOULD YOU?????? How guilty you should feel, for doing that.
6. So now you must itemize all purchases. Actually we'll just automate that process. Everything you buy is logged by the government. If you buy too many UNAPPROVED WASTEFUL items, maybe we will fine you or jail you.
7. At this point, you are effectively a ward of the state. You are their slave. The government controls and runs everything in the name of a safety net. Obey your masters.
8. It still isn't enough to lift everyone out of poverty. People have surrendered every right that matters. And are poor and hungry. The power grab is complete. The end.
9. The government stops giving a crap about you. You have nothing to offer them anyway. They've taken it all already. You descend into a third world nation status.

Does this sound like a lunatic idea? Why should it? We've been arguing that is likely where it is heading all along. This isn't freedom. This isn't utopia. Its just another way to create a dictatorship.

Maybe somewhere, hundreds of years into the future, some group of very brave, intelligent, and dedicated people will give their lives to overthrow this monster you erect in the name of equality. But I'm sure it won't be this generation. You are fools to allow this to happen to you.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Puistokemisti posted:

1. The government begins to tack on benefits. Unemployment benefits. Welfare benefits. Social Security benefits. Medical benefits.
3. Then it STILL isn't enough to lift people out of poverty (which was never the plan from the start).
4. So after they run this game for a bit, they say HEY! I have a brilliant idea! Let's scrap all the benefits and just roll it into a one big lump sum payment (from the government) into your pocket on a weekly schedule!
5. Now they just wait for the right crisis to hit that throws most people on government rolls. Some economic error that forces most people into this system.
5. Now they declare every freaking aspect of your life is effectively owned by the government (in the name of making this system as efficient as possible). You wouldn't want to WASTE government money by running this inefficiently, now WOULD YOU?????? How guilty you should feel, for doing that.
6. So now you must itemize all purchases. Actually we'll just automate that process. Everything you buy is logged by the government. If you buy too many UNAPPROVED WASTEFUL items, maybe we will fine you or jail you.
7. At this point, you are effectively a ward of the state. You are their slave. The government controls and runs everything in the name of a safety net. Obey your masters.
8. It still isn't enough to lift everyone out of poverty. People have surrendered every right that matters. And are poor and hungry. The power grab is complete. The end.
9. The government stops giving a crap about you. You have nothing to offer them anyway. They've taken it all already. You descend into a third world nation status.

Does this sound like a lunatic idea? Why should it? We've been arguing that is likely where it is heading all along. This isn't freedom. This isn't utopia. Its just another way to create a dictatorship.

Maybe somewhere, hundreds of years into the future, some group of very brave, intelligent, and dedicated people will give their lives to overthrow this monster you erect in the name of equality. But I'm sure it won't be this generation. You are fools to allow this to happen to you.

Holy poo poo, where's this from?

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!

Ligur posted:

There were some leijona-hats, but that is a given in any "Finland!" -type event. Apart from that, no heiling, no marching in goosestep, no listening to Wager, no hate speech, no nothing. Just guys and most of all girls marching with torches to respect Suomi and the fallen. It was clear nobody was against anyone or anything during that walk. If that is what accounts to nazism/fascims these days then I understand your fears but I must say that said fears are loving stupid.

Just like in a pakolaiskeskus there were literally no lynchings, no beheadings, no rapes or subjection of women when I visited?

Tell me Mr. red head, how many percentages of refugees currently in Finland do you think are objectively evil?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Holy poo poo, where's this from?

Someones rear end?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jyppe posted:

Just like in a pakolaiskeskus there were literally no lynchings, no beheadings, no rapes or subjection of women when I visited?

Tell me Mr. red head, how many percentages of refugees currently in Finland do you think are objectively evil?

All people are evil. Children are double-evil.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Puistokemisti posted:

This is actually the US system of food stamps.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Valiantman posted:

Scouts at least are ultra-dangerous nazis. I mean, look at them, they have blue shirts!

When I was in high school I saw local scouts having their scout march.

It is quite a sight to see vaahtosammutinsized kids march in unison holding torches and singing "Sinun puolestas elää ja kuolla / on halumme korkehin!".

Nazis or no nazis, I don't think it's right that some 8 year old sings how he really, really wishes to die for Finnish flag some day.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Also this is the only acceptable marching song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IaUXefAsCU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Puistokemisti posted:

For a while I thought this was the bitcoin thread.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fish of hemp posted:

When I was in high school I saw local scouts having their scout march.

It is quite a sight to see vaahtosammutinsized kids march in unison holding torches and singing "Sinun puolestas elää ja kuolla / on halumme korkehin!".

Nazis or no nazis, I don't think it's right that some 8 year old sings how he really, really wishes to die for Finnish flag some day.

you are a leftist liberal idiot if you don't want to die

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Syksy Räsänen, that goth space physicist and pro-Palestine campaigner, put in words his experiences of the independence day marches:

Syksy Räsänen posted:

Yesterday, I was at the racist "Independent Finland 2015" event and at the fascist 612 march organised by the National Resistance Movement. A few short observations, I should write more as time permits.

1) Never in my life have I been to such a fascist and scary event, outside Israel. Onstage, a nazi salute was made (with "Heil Hitler!"), a list of politicians to kill and torture (tortures were detailed) was sung out 'humorously', sodomisation of a well-known female politician with a cactus was discussed, and so on. [EDIT: The event was opened by Laura Huhtasaari, an MP from Perussuomalaiset, the second biggest party in parliament.]

2) I don't agree with the way anarchists tried to disrupt the nazi march, but claiming that the police were only there to make sure freedom of speech and assembly is respected is incorrect. The police removed the priest Kai Sadinmaa for just standing with a sign saying "Love the immigrant" (this according to his report, I didn't see this with my own eyes), and also removed a man standing on the sidewalk shouting "all different, all equal" to the nazis on the march, and -as usual- the police were very keen to fight against anarchists, not just protect people.

The police were there to protect racist speech and a nazi propaganda and recruiting event, suppress dissenting voices and fight against the anarchists. I'm pretty sure that this was not their self-perception (except maybe for the part about fighting anarchists), but this is what they did.

3) People have commented on how the far right should have the right to march on the streets, and we should not ban demonstrations based on their political views. Let's say we agree on this. However, the National Resistance Movement is not just putting forth a political vision, they are using violence to try to implement it. In other words, they are a terrorist organisation: in fact, an international network of organisations using violence against civilians, with the stated goal of overthrowing governments (and demolishing Finnish independence, by the way) in one Leader-led nazi state. Their members have been convicted of serious crimes.

Yet, with all the furor about terrorism, has there been a single voice in the mainstream arguing that National Resistance Movement members have been arrested when they show up in demonstrations in public? Just imagine if this was an Islamist movement.

4) Incitement against Muslims, refugees, leftists, mainstream media and establishment politicians has reached such levels that I think it's only a question of time when people will be killed. When that happens, I don't want to see a single crocodile tear from those (including people at Helsingin Sanomat) who have kept on promoting racist incitement even as things have gotten more and more extreme

PS. I believe Max Blumenthal got wonderful footage of the events, he's doing a documentary on the Finnish far right for the Real News Network.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Jyppe posted:

Uh. Yeah. It sounds like you are trying to make a "smart" point about something but just sound foolish. (Of course there are no beheading in a VOK.)

So what was it?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
It's over and everything is returning to normal. I bet (not-racist, not-Hitler, not-Nazi) Homma is happy again.

P.S. I keep forgetting how nice it is to read these with the Iltasaatana mod.

\/\/\/\/\/ Obv a bunch of well-meaning patriotic citizens looking out for all of us.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
So who did organize the march? All I get is that it's the "612 yhdistys" and that this year something called the "EA-ryhmä" was instrumental. The website is owned by this dude. He doesn't say he's a nazi but his website espouses a pretty clear extreme right wing view. To get a feel for it, the content they post doesn't claim the holocaust never happened, but instead talks about how it's used in a conspiracy to 'fill Europe with Muslims'.

Last year's march was advertised on Suomen Vastarintaliike's website, along with other far right organizations, but they don't take credit for organizing it. SVL are explicitly nazis. I don't know in what capacity they were involved this year.

I'm sure these connections are purely incidental and there's no extreme right tinge to this event at all.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

DanTheFryingPan posted:

It's over and everything is returning to normal. I bet (not-racist, not-Hitler, not-Nazi) Homma is happy again.

The new normal being ~100 new asylum seekers every day. Also the real flood from Russia hasn't even started yet. Next spring is going to be "interesting", unless EU collectively does something, which it won't because it's the EU.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

DanTheFryingPan posted:

\/\/\/\/\/ Obv a bunch of well-meaning patriotic citizens looking out for all of us.

I doubt a ten fold increase in asylum seeker average per day from last year is considered "normal" by anyone else but the most starry eyed unelma-hörhö.

Guess why some of the VOKS won't be opened? They would be too far away from policing. And we have found out police are needed so often a VOK needs to be place close to enough patrols.

Me? I don't think any of that is normal but sure it's better than 1000 passport losing young men a day instead. Glad ur happy tho.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 8, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0AYxwgR3l8

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

What is this? I'm not a dirty mamu (I'm white as snow) and yet these impact me as well!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Speaking of economy for a second, Estonia's GDP numbers for the third quarter came out and they are not pretty. Only two countries are doing worse, Greece and... you guessed it, Finland.

So if Finland is the "sick man of Europe", what does that make Estonia? Finland's slightly retarded cousin?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
How do they impact u, Dan

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OhYeah posted:

Speaking of economy for a second, Estonia's GDP numbers for the third quarter came out and they are not pretty. Only two countries are doing worse, Greece and... you guessed it, Finland.

So if Finland is the "sick man of Europe", what does that make Estonia? Finland's slightly retarded cousin?

It's more than slightly retarded mate.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Friendly Tumour posted:

It's more than slightly retarded mate.

Your sarcastic comment is very triggering, mate.

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!

Ligur posted:

Uh. Yeah. It sounds like you are trying to make a "smart" point about something but just sound foolish. (Of course there are no beheading in a VOK.)

So what was it?

You really literally don't understand the irony in defending äärioikeisto despite few bad eggs, but condemning mamus for the same thing?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Jyppe posted:

You really literally don't understand the irony in defending äärioikeisto despite few bad eggs, but condemning mamus for the same thing?

Someone using the word "literally" in every post is probably not ihan kartalla.

Say again where I condemned "mamus" in general for anything at all?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Oldsmobile posted:

What is this? I'm not a dirty mamu (I'm white as snow) and yet these impact me as well!

I'd like to see the government try to send Syrian refugees back. What are they going to do, load them on a cargo plane and drop them like bombs in Syrian airspace?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Rexroom posted:

I'd like to see the government try to send Syrian refugees back. What are they going to do, load them on a cargo plane and drop them like bombs in Syrian airspace?

I'm pretty sure Syria is classified as a actual war zone by the entire EU, making them eligible for asylum? This is for the countries that are not at war, i.e. all the rest of them.

e: also less than 5% of the asylum seekers coming to Finland are Syrian, making this a complete non-issue

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 8, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
This is so weird.

Most of the people with a Syrian passport (costs about 400$ IIRC) come from safe camps, in a safe country. Do they have Finnish social service there? No. Are there jobs any more than here? No. But they don't come from Raqqa by any means.

The idea that anyone told "hmm, not quite right now wit residence permit" equals forcing them to an aircraft and parachuting them to a combat zone is so loving strange. Nothing like this is going on, anywhere. I understand people ideologically believe that anyone should be allowed to move anywhere if they so wish and all that but why loving LIE about the conditions, it isn't helping anything or anyone.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Ligur posted:

The idea that anyone told "hmm, not quite right now wit residence permit" equals forcing them to an aircraft and parachuting them to a combat zone is so loving strange. Nothing like this is going on, anywhere. I understand people ideologically believe that anyone should be allowed to move anywhere if they so wish and all that but why loving LIE about the conditions, it isn't helping anything or anyone.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you have a sever form of Asperger that makes you unable to see humorous postings. It makes me feel ashamed that I ridiculed all these years without knowing this.

Dear thread residents, let us apologize to Ligur for laughing at his disability. From now on when Ligur shitposts, it's just his Asperger doing the shitposting.

I'm sorry, Ligur.

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!

Ligur posted:

Someone using the word "literally" in every post is probably not ihan kartalla.

Say again where I condemned "mamus" in general for anything at all?

Remember when you said you wouldn't be triggered by the word "literally"?

If not, is it due to fetal alcohol syndrome, too many kicks to the head or just something on the autism spectrum?

srs question, conducting a study on what is the most common cause for posting in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Rexroom posted:

That's what Australia's government would love to do if they had the chance.

Rexroom posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you have a sever form of Asperger that makes you unable to see humorous postings. It makes me feel ashamed that I ridiculed all these years without knowing this.

Dear thread residents, let us apologize to Ligur for laughing at his disability. From now on when Ligur shitposts, it's just his Asperger doing the shitposting.

I'm sorry, Ligur.

Aspergers would make him more intelligent then he actually is.