Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lt. Tanaka posted:

This is the interior of the brutalist Basilica of St Pius X.

There's something so unnerving about the walls or the lighting or maybe the shape of the room.

This at least is somewhat practical. You want to build a church that can hold 25,000 pilgrims a few times a year, and it has to be in this particular town, but you are pretty happy with the two basilicas you already have.

Apparently it's not a very good church, due to echoes and site lines, but most people can forget it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Neoclassicism is the ketchup of architecture.

Nah.
Neoclassicism is boiled potatoes - usually inoffensive, but only rarely great.
The true ketchup of architecture is superficial postmodernism, especially when used to "liven up" a boring box building.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Roy posted:

Colours? On a brutalist house? If I saw that irl I'd knock it over like Corbusier Kong

Corbusier liked him some colored accents.

This one is not Brutalism, but it is ugly. It's supposed to be East West "fusion"

I guess that means stick two completely different, clashing buildings together in a completely non-harmonious fashion.

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/12/07/zhengzhou_university_fusion_architecture.php

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Bonster posted:

This one is not Brutalism, but it is ugly. It's supposed to be East West "fusion"

I guess that means stick two completely different, clashing buildings together in a completely non-harmonious fashion.

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/12/07/zhengzhou_university_fusion_architecture.php

Lol this is like that one building with the massive roman column just smashing right down the middle, you know the one

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bogan Krkic posted:

Lol this is like that one building with the massive roman column just smashing right down the middle, you know the one

No but it sounds bad and stupid and I'd probably hate it. Can you find it?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Accretionist posted:

No but it sounds bad and stupid and I'd probably hate it. Can you find it?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What a magnificent piece of poo poo.

If I saw that in person I wouldn't be able to stop laughing. I'm actually impressed by how awful that is.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I love it because it looks like they wanted to put in columns, couldn't figure out how to draw them in CAD so imported a file and couldn't figure out how to resize it, and just said 'gently caress it' and gave up

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Was that by the Japanese guy who now kind of regrets it? IIRC someone talked about that building many pages back.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Computer viking posted:

Was that by the Japanese guy who now kind of regrets it? IIRC someone talked about that building many pages back.

Yeah, I think so. I only know of it from the post itt I quoted though

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, I think so. I only know of it from the post itt I quoted though

Not sure if this was the interview, but it seems relevant: http://www.vantage-magazine.com/living-room/kengo-kuma-master-of-understatement.html
(That monstrosity is the M2 building.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roy posted:

Colours? On a brutalist house? If I saw that irl I'd knock it over like Corbusier Kong
On that note, here's a thing that is opposite my office, the windows look like they were added last-minute when someone said "err, it's a bit grey":

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50511,-0.0972312,3a,75y,50.92h,108.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8sbizgJp2RnNYb7g3IAjuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Undead Parish?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Chinatown posted:

anyone posted the Salk Institute yet? Its perhaps the best example of Brutalism. And, thus, it owns very hard.

:captainpop:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

You wanna talk about buildings that don't know what style they're supposed to be? There's a bank in my town that's made some rather questionable architectural choices for their branches:

"This building doesn't say 'bank' to me. Maybe we should add a big Greek-revival-temple thing on the roof? ...what? Hell, no, it doesn't have to be functional! Just slap it up there!"

"This one should be Asian inspired, but we like that classic Old West adobe stucco thing, too. Can you do that? And oh yeah, make it round!"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

"This one should be Asian inspired, but we like that classic Old West adobe stucco thing, too. Can you do that? And oh yeah, make it round!"

I don't really hate that. I think it's supposed to look like an old round barn or something, which are super cool structures. Is this in Vermont by chance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_barn

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/buildings/barn-round.html

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 8, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't really hate that. I think it's supposed to look like an old round barn or something, which are super cool structures. Is this in Vermont by chance?

Raleigh, NC

Those barns are cool -- thanks for sharing them. I've never seen round barns before.

I still don't like this building, though.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Catzilla posted:

Now you can own your very own Brutalist Building in cardboard...

http://www.zupagrafika.com/zupamarket_en.html

ooooh, these are neat!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bonster posted:

Corbusier liked him some colored accents.

The Church of Google

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bonster posted:

It's like neoclassicalism and brutalism hosed and had a really ugly baby.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

smackfu posted:

This at least is somewhat practical. You want to build a church that can hold 25,000 pilgrims a few times a year, and it has to be in this particular town, but you are pretty happy with the two basilicas you already have.

Apparently it's not a very good church, due to echoes and site lines, but most people can forget it exists.

That looks great though. I'm not a church-going man but I'd church-go there and fight some belltower gargoyles.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
This is what central London will look like in a few years: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/dec/11/city-of-london-skyline-of-tomorrow-interactive

What is the architectural movement called that produces those big glass skyscrapers with lots of edgy features? I'm imagining that in the future we will look at these sort of towers with the same sneer we give to Brutalism. At least all the dumb buildings are concentrated in a small area I guess.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I once read somewhere that a sudden boom in skyscraper building is a pretty reliable sign for a near-future economic collapse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

netally posted:

This is what central London will look like in a few years: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/dec/11/city-of-london-skyline-of-tomorrow-interactive

What is the architectural movement called that produces those big glass skyscrapers with lots of edgy features? I'm imagining that in the future we will look at these sort of towers with the same sneer we give to Brutalism. At least all the dumb buildings are concentrated in a small area I guess.

Towers are better than sprawl. The population keeps increasing and all those people have to go somewhere.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
And three to five story mixed-used brick architecture is better than towers because anything else is a mistake

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Honj Steak posted:

I once read somewhere that a sudden boom in skyscraper building is a pretty reliable sign for a near-future economic collapse.

It's more like recession puts the kibosh on new skyscrapers.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00036846.2014.967380#.VmsBdUorLRY

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

netally posted:

Some of the major reasons for the shapes in the city cluster are the sight lines of St Pauls, which is such an English response to the future. You can build 300m tall buildings but they can't be anywhere behind this cathedral built 350 years ago as you walk along a street that's probably 800-1000 years old.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Angela Christine posted:

Towers are better than sprawl. The population keeps increasing and all those people have to go somewhere.

Oh I don't mind towers. I understand that with limited space you go upwards. But recent skyscrapers in London have been so freaking ugly. Many of them have architectural problems, such as the walkie talkie building that melts cars, and they all have unflattering nicknames, such as the can of ham building that is exactly what you'd expect it to look like. Other places like the Shard are cool, yet their flats aren't selling and not many companies in an uncertain economy want to risk moving into iconic buildings with massive rent.

I just wonder how long before these buildings look like total poo poo, in the same vein as many regrettable concrete tower blocks built in the 1960s.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Angela Christine posted:

The only people going into those buildings will be Saudi oil princes and corrupt Russian oligarchs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

netally posted:

Other places like the Shard are cool, yet their flats aren't selling and not many companies in an uncertain economy want to risk moving into iconic buildings with massive rent.

The Shard's gotten a lot of bad press but when I was there I thought it was a pretty loving cool building. I mean, yeah, it's pretty aggressive and if *every* building looked like that it'd probably hurt your eyes to look at. But in and of itself I like it:

The Shard Ain't That Bad by Phanatic, on Flickr

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You wanna talk about buildings that don't know what style they're supposed to be? There's a bank in my town that's made some rather questionable architectural choices for their branches:

"This building doesn't say 'bank' to me. Maybe we should add a big Greek-revival-temple thing on the roof? ...what? Hell, no, it doesn't have to be functional! Just slap it up there!"

Hey Raleigh goon. I used to live right across from this building and I always wished it would turn into a club with a pool on the roof.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
This documentary about the Leadenhall Building in London is really good and shows what it takes to build one of those monsters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5RgRboBE2Y

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Another weird Raleigh decision

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

The Shard's gotten a lot of bad press but when I was there I thought it was a pretty loving cool building. I mean, yeah, it's pretty aggressive and if *every* building looked like that it'd probably hurt your eyes to look at. But in and of itself I like it:

I work near London Bridge and have to look at this thing every day and...I like it. It's modern, simply, and because it's all glass it doesn't stand out against the sky, it just sits there being all tall and pointy. It's massive and yet it doesn't impose itself like One Canada Square does.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do you suppose the sriracha of architecture is?

Taking old buildings and needlessly covering them in glass. It's ok a few times but not all the time everywhere on everything.

Tunga posted:

I work near London Bridge and have to look at this thing every day and...I like it. It's modern, simply, and because it's all glass it doesn't stand out against the sky, it just sits there being all tall and pointy. It's massive and yet it doesn't impose itself like One Canada Square does.

Same. I like the cheesegrater one as well. The walkie talkie is loving dumb though.

Speaking of dumb ideas, there's a tower in south ish London that has three wind turbines in the roof but theyre permanently disabled because the transient vibrations pissed off the people that owned the penthouses. So they're left with three motionless turbines as a monument to incompetence.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Phanatic posted:

do people hate on this one a lot? im only looking at your pic but my negative assessment of it would be "slight wankery in the direction of artsy geometric-ness" which is not really the most withering critique of an exterior

e: i do actually think it's alright, i was just playing devil's advocate. i get kind of a sci-fi dystopian vibe, like the HQ for an amoral corporation that clinically carries out evil high-tech experiments in stark, cold white laboratories

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 12, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Same. I like the cheesegrater one as well. The walkie talkie is loving dumb though.
This matches my opinion on both counts.

quote:

Speaking of dumb ideas, there's a tower in south ish London that has three wind turbines in the roof but theyre permanently disabled because the transient vibrations pissed off the people that owned the penthouses. So they're left with three motionless turbines as a monument to incompetence.
Ah yes, good old Strata, or "the razor" as it became known. I worked for a lovely company that was owned by a guy with more money than sense who had one of the penthouses (edit: not literally, but a flat very near the top) in that place. With any luck they'll turn the turbines back on one day and he'll be miserable.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 12, 2015

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Interesting. I thought the turbines on that thing didn't work because they were crap. I know the building had lots of design faults.

I went to uni in picturesque Elephant & Castle and used to gaze out the window, watching that thing being built. It's in such a sharp contrast to the rest of the area. I can't imagine being rich enough to spend millions on a flat and living there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's my town's city hall.

It's between a gamestop and a nestle toll house cookie store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

topical!

• Locked thread