Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Something you shouldn't play.

But actually, Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer using Ancient Soul to make Dragonbreath a Sorc power that recharges when you take the type of damage it does, optimised to either include itself in the blast using Hurl Breath or include allies in the blast and take the damage from it using Nusemnee's Atonement (or whatever that name is), and the Sensate theme to avoid taking actual damage because you get temps every time you use it. So your standard actions are normal sorcering, but you also get two minors per round which will do almost as much damage as most of your standards. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
what

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, so you just spit out 3 huge AOE Dragonbreath moves, and with a properly optimized build, say with 21 Constitution?

That means each round you do 3 blast 3 aoe, each one dealing 1d6+5

At level 2

(So Blast 3 3d6+15 total at level 2, every round.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's awesome :getin:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Do not ever play this build unless you are at the highest of high-op tables, or you are a madcrazy optimiser at a low-op table and you need to make sure you have the ABILITY to kill everything forever without actually doing so most of the time. A rebreather can be a nice emergency button in that situation, as long as you basically never rebreathe unless you're the only one left standing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
holy poo poo now i'm thinking about how that would scale up and that would eventually become like

9d10+24 every round

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My table has been playing this game for months and we still barely know how to play, so once my crocodile Slayer dude (Who stunned the entire table with his real ultimate power) inevitably dies I am very, very tempted to stat up a Rebreather and go "YOU THOUGHT THE LAST GUY WAS OP? YOU HAVE NOT EVEN BEGUN TO COMPREHEND" and then cackle maniacally as I murder everything.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

alcharagia posted:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's awesome :getin:

Dragon Breath is one of like, two effectively at-will minor action attacks in all of 4e, and the other is Brilliant Recovery at level 27, which is still harder to use than Dragon Breath. Still broken, though. Make sure to be a Revenant, the actually broken race in 4e, for extra minors and invincibility while you vomit napalm on all your foes.

Outside of DBs, I guess the best races are Tieflings for their mountain of racial feat support, especially the one that turns all stuns into dominates at epic, Half-Elves to poach Eldritch Strike or Twin Strike, and Pixies for limited flight. The coolest races are Changelings and Wilden. More interestingly, what are the worst races? I'm thinking Razorclaw Shifters, who are worse than Elves at everything, and that race from HoS that loses a healing surge for no reason.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Humans are generically good at basically anything, especially with their e-racial power, dwarves and eladrin have crazy amounts of support, and yeah, tieflings and half-elves are nuts. Worst races are the MM ones that never got full PC versions, and probably Bladelings.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

alcharagia posted:

My table has been playing this game for months and we still barely know how to play, so once my crocodile Slayer dude (Who stunned the entire table with his real ultimate power) inevitably dies I am very, very tempted to stat up a Rebreather and go "YOU THOUGHT THE LAST GUY WAS OP? YOU HAVE NOT EVEN BEGUN TO COMPREHEND" and then cackle maniacally as I murder everything.

That really sounds like the sort of thing you would just describe conceptually and maybe bring in an alternate character sheet for, for one encounter. Something like a "hey guys check out this cool bug/exploit I found, but no I'm not going to do it all the time"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That really sounds like the sort of thing you would just describe conceptually and maybe bring in an alternate character sheet for, for one encounter. Something like a "hey guys check out this cool bug/exploit I found, but no I'm not going to do it all the time"

I'd stop the instant they said "no, gently caress you, no, I don't care how legal it is no" which would probably happen within instants :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The best races, in no particular order except dwarves, are these:

Dwarves. These are my pick for D&D master race. Insanely good racial ability for just about any class, tons of gnarly support, ability score options that let them play just about anything.
Half-Elves. Almost entirely good because of dilettante.
Dragonborn. Very, very good racial abilities whether or not you pick the draconian subraces. Draconians can fly like, all the time. Your racial is seriously that difficult terrain means nothing. Only race with +Str and +Cha.
Pre-splatbook kobolds. Shift as a minor was incredibly abusable.
Pixies. Fly all the time and get some very interesting spacing tricks.

Please keep in mind that the disparity between the best and worst races in 4E is much lower than it is for the best and worst classes. The only really poo poo races are bullywug and maybe orc. Everything else at worst has at least a couple of good "use cases" and most have lots of options.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And even Bullywugs and Orcs are just not good, rather than being outright bad. If you pick a class that matches the stats and has enough class feats that you don't need racial ones, they'll do fine.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Favourite for flavour is definitely the Bullywug though. You're a frog man that even existance is trying to snuff out. Played a Revenant Bullywug once who just barely tolerated his party, since they were the ones who killed him.

I'm also a huge fan of the Dragonborn and Warforged as far as mechanically sound races to play.

The real question is, why can't I play as a Wemic?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Alright, here's a quick question. I have a group trying to start up a new dnd campaign, but they are dead set on 3.5. What's the best way to try and turn them to the 4e side, in addition to offering to DM (which I already plan on doing). They are hugely resistant to 4e, and I doubt they ever tried it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It depends on why they're resisting, but I would think that doing character creation for them (with their preferences and character concepts in mind) and/or providing pregens would lift a lot of barriers to play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, finding out the reason for the resistance is key.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, finding out the reason for the resistance is key.

I've had a hard time figuring that out. I don't really get straight answers. Best I can figure is that it isn't the system they grew up with and the more "simulationist" aspect of 3.5 design seems to appeal to them. They really like the idea of having a page and a half of skills that 90% of the time don't matter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Then let them do that. For the most part, the 4e skill system lifts right out and you could drop the 3e one in, without really affecting anything much at all. The main thing 4e brings to the table is balance and ease of running.

You could also make it clear that you won't run anything else...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the thing about the 4e skill system is that it's very similar to the 3.5e system.

Instead of having to track skill ranks, you simply tag some skills as "did I dump all my ranks into this? Y/N" In fact, that's even already a variant rule from Unearthed Arcana.

The only functional difference is the half-level bonus, which means your "untagged" skills aren't disastrously low.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
So it's been a couple years since I DMed a 4e campaign and lately I've been getting inspirations to DM again. I'm not very good at story telling but I have a lot of fun designing, especially when it comes to monster creation, so I'm writing up a module that is pretty much mini-dungeons with potential loot where they must fight a baddie at the end. Sort of like a D&D version of Monster Hunter.

It's an epic-tiered campaign, levels I've never had my players play at, but I think it'll make it a lot more fun. I've settled with 4e because I personally think it's the most balanced and most strategic battle system that's easily accessible to everyone. I've written up the character creation rules for it, anyone mind taking a look at it?

4e Character Creation posted:

This is a 21st level module intended on taking players to the 30th level. It is balanced with the 3 Player’s Handbooks as well as the 2 Adventurer’s Vault books. None of the other extended guides were considered. If you wish to incorporate the other guides then that is fine, just know that this module doesn’t take those guides into account. The module is designed for 4-6 players with each role fulfilled by at least one player.

For character creation it’s recommended that characters generate their ability scores using the customizing method mentioned in the 1st player’s handbook. That is, start with a score of [8, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10] and assign them to whichever ability scores the player wants. Then, spend 22 points to improve them.

For wealth, players start with 125,000gp. They also get a level 20 item, a level 21 item, and a level 22 item for free. Those three items can be lower levels if they wished.

For restrictions, players may only start with 1 rare magic item and cannot carry more than 2 consumables (such as potions or magic ammunition). They may also purchase only 1 wondrous item. Any items purchased cannot be higher than level 21.

Players can also obtain any one of the weapon or armor expertise feats as well the total defenses feat introduced in Essentials for free (as in, they do not take up a feat slot when leveling up).
Any recommendations to change, add, or remove anything? Any opinions if Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium should be added as well?

Also not sure about mixing just a few feats from Essentials into this but I've seen people here and elsewhere say that they're pretty essential feats that are often given to players for free so I thought I'd add them in too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, toss everything in there. MME is a generally good book.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Dragonborn. Very, very good racial abilities whether or not you pick the draconian subraces. Draconians can fly like, all the time. Your racial is seriously that difficult terrain means nothing. Only race with +Str and +Cha.

Vryloka also had +str/Cha, I seriously wanted to play a Vryloka Cosmic Sorcerer just so I could be a half-vampire channeling the raw power of irony the sun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For extremely powerful races, Deva are very much near the very top because they have one of the most powerful EDs in the game (on top of a superb racial ability and stats that cover a lot of ground).

Genasi became maybe one of the best melee striker races period following the creation of a single real stupid item. If you're using a heavy blade, Genasi will probably do ridiculous things to your damage.

As was stated previously though, none of the races are really bad. There's two or three that have stats that don't really match anything at all, but even they can probably be worked out. This isn't 3.x where select races are built to literally punish you for wanting to play them.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

ProfessorCirno posted:

For extremely powerful races, Deva are very much near the very top because they have one of the most powerful EDs in the game (on top of a superb racial ability and stats that cover a lot of ground).

Again with an entry level question: Does this mean Encounter/Daily? Edition? Elemental Dong?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Noxin of Shame posted:

Again with an entry level question: Does this mean Encounter/Daily? Edition? Elemental Dong?

Epic Destiny

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Noxin of Shame posted:

Deva have an Epic Destiny - Soul of the World - that let's them pick two races and count as those two races for the sake of racial feats and abilities, and likewise to pick a class and count as that class for the sake of feats and power choices. Go back and look through the list of "this race is great because it has these awesome feats" and consider that a Deva can cherry pick them at will. It even still gets the generic stat boosts and such on top of that. It's extremely good.

Also I just kinda like the Deva fluff :shobon:

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Hah, I knew it'd be obvious. Thanks.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. My friend is playing a Devan cleric in our campaign -- He's struggling with the time commitment at the moment, so he's going to love it when I point this out to him, and that in a few levels time, he gets to effectively read through everything to see what he likes.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't get Memory. Actually I don't get +1d6 abilities. I can't imagine people use it when they're short by 5 or 6 (our deva sure doesn't), so it seems like practically speaking it's a retroactive +2, maybe +3, that sometimes has a chance to fail.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Caphi posted:

I don't get Memory. Actually I don't get +1d6 abilities. I can't imagine people use it when they're short by 5 or 6 (our deva sure doesn't), so it seems like practically speaking it's a retroactive +2, maybe +3, that sometimes has a chance to fail.
This is why the similar Human power is generally considered at least as good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

As was stated previously though, none of the races are really bad. There's two or three that have stats that don't really match anything at all, but even they can probably be worked out. This isn't 3.x where select races are built to literally punish you for wanting to play them.

I am confident that I could fit any race into any role and play it in a solid 90%+ of games without any problem at all.

Hell, as long as the race/class combination can eke out a decent AC I don't even really care what the racial stats are. Starting 16's are viable with a +2 in the mainstat, so starting 18's are viable with a +0. Deva Fighter? 18s/10cn/13d/8i/15w/12ch, use Scale for AC. The only race/class combinations this is problematic for are classes that base their AC off of a high offstat paired with races that don't get that either of those stats, and there are a lot of ways around even that if you're willing to hybridize.

It wouldn't have top-tier optimization but unless you're doing the hardcore LFR poo poo you don't need top-tier optimization. Honestly, I would argue that top-tier optimization is usually detrimental in most games.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 7, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LFR was never specially hardcore except at Epic. And even then it was always optional.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Genasi became maybe one of the best melee striker races period following the creation of a single real stupid item. If you're using a heavy blade, Genasi will probably do ridiculous things to your damage.

Yeah Deva is very, very good also.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Khizan posted:

I am confident that I could fit any race into any role and play it in a solid 90%+ of games without any problem at all.

Hell, as long as the race/class combination can eke out a decent AC I don't even really care what the racial stats are. Starting 16's are viable with a +2 in the mainstat, so starting 18's are viable with a +0. Deva Fighter? 18s/10cn/13d/8i/15w/12ch, use Scale for AC. The only race/class combinations this is problematic for are classes that base their AC off of a high offstat paired with races that don't get that either of those stats, and there are a lot of ways around even that if you're willing to hybridize.

It wouldn't have top-tier optimization but unless you're doing the hardcore LFR poo poo you don't need top-tier optimization. Honestly, I would argue that top-tier optimization is usually detrimental in most games.

A "great" race in 4E is:

-Good racial power
-Usable incidental bonuses
-Good support
-Two skill bonuses (this is more important than people give credence)

Most races get at least 3 of these things. The great ones are all 4 of those and then some.

If you play the game as "take any 2 ability score bonuses you want" it also opens the game up hugely.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 11, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Deva are good but I like Aasimar better :colbert:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Deva are a rad concept with rad fluff :colbert:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

Deva are a rad concept with rad fluff :colbert:

Aasimar don't look like purple gits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sucks to your aasimar

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Really Pants posted:

sucks to your aasimar

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Question about Avengers: does their damage as a striker just kinda suck til they hit Paragon and grab Painful Oath? Seems like before then they're basically banking on being a more "reliable" striker, but without any actual bonus damage mechanic.