Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Financial markets behaving rationally, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

So far, Graham, Kasich and Jeb have released statements/tweeted about it, roundly condemning him.

That seems like an interesting 180 from "We can just take in the Christians" Jeb!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

gently caress this person and gently caress everything about him. This is my state, you corn-eating poo poo-for-brains. Thanks for wasting tax dollars to fly to my loving state to use the corpses of the dead as your little political statement. Go back to Nebraska and keep fighting for less regulation in the already-insanely unsafe and exploitative meatpacking industry you worthless waste of human garbage.

His message is pretty good actually, for a Republican. I just think it would be weird to go lay some flowers at a memorial and see some guy making a video about how we're at war with radical Islam.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

His message is pretty good actually, for a Republican. I just think it would be weird to go lay some flowers at a memorial and see some guy making a video about how we're at war with radical Islam.

Yeah parts of it aren't bad, but I just know he's moderating it as a political ploy, he doesn't smell right at all.

In lighter news, let's all go to the brand new https://www.jebbush.com It's gotten quite a facelift!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cruz's response:

Tepid.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

So far, Graham, Kasich and Jeb have released statements/tweeted about it, roundly condemning him.

It's funny how response time seems to be inversely proportional to how close they are to beating Trump

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Sad Bill Kristol concludes his Trump musings with this:

quote:

Final Trump tweet: I've dismissed such conspiracy theories before...but how do we REALLY know that Trump isn't a Clinton double agent?

Asking the hard questions!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

Financial markets behaving rationally, unfortunately.

Sadly enough, a strong Democratic victory in 2016 would probably be the best thing in the world for these companies. Any sales lost due to gun control measures a Democrat controlled Congress could pass would pale in comparison to the surge of sales gained from gun nuts convinced the sky is falling and they need more guns now now now.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Slate Action posted:

Asked what prompted it, Mr. Trump said, “death"

Oh my god I was positive you were kidding.

Well, where can he go from here? The only more extreme positions to his right are mass roundup and deportation of all Muslims, or concentration camps.

This is an official written statement too, mind you. This isn't some nonsense uttered by some half-soused rube at one of his rallies that he failed to dismiss strongly enough.

The worst part of this is his supporters will not blanch at this statement. This is exactly what they want from him and he's giving it to them with both barrels.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Sydin posted:

Sadly enough, a strong Democratic victory in 2016 would probably be the best thing in the world for these companies. Any sales lost due to gun control measures a Democrat controlled Congress could pass would pale in comparison to the surge of sales gained from gun nuts convinced the sky is falling and they need more guns now now now.

I'm excited for 2017 when Barack Obama is presented with the Wayne LaPierre Award for Excellence in Gun Salesmanship.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just a reminder:

Tuesday, December 15, 2015
CNN/Salem Republican Debate
9pm ET (8pm CT, 6pm PT)
Aired On: CNN
Sponsors: CNN, Salem Media Group
Moderators: Wolf Blitzer
Candidates: To be determined

Wolf Blitzer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder:

9pm ET (8pm CT, 6pm PT)

Wolf Blitzer.

:wow:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder:

9pm ET (8pm CT, 6pm PT)

Wolf Blitzer.

No way. This can't be real.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

foobardog posted:

The pickings of prominent minority Republicans is pretty slim. Only 11% of black people lean or consider themselves Republican. I mean when Herman Cain, Allen West, and Ben Carson (and Alan Keyes before them) are your stable, you're hurting. On top of that, I gather that many respected black conservatives like Colin Powell and Condeleeza Rice are very much turned off by the current state of the party (especially Powell who was savaged for supporting Obama).

Charles Barkley is the only other prominent one I can think of, but I think he doesn't care enough on a party level, he just knows that he's rich, and they give him less taxes.

e: Apparently Barkley says he stopped being a Republican in 2006 because "they lost their minds".
e2: Michael Steele is another prominent Black Republican who probably has no desire at all to help them in their current form.

Well I guess my point is does being a "celebrity" really give Stacy Dash value over random black woman who no one knew before Fox News but probably has better credentials to be on the air? Sure, the percentages are small but if Fox News made a concentrated effort to find a bunch of minorities to hire I'm sure they could. 11% of African Americans is still a few million people, isn't? There's gotta be a few who have more to say than Stacy Dash. Does "Hey, she was in Clueless!" really hold that much value? Is it just star loving to the point where any "star" will do?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Adar posted:

American populists like Trump, Dean, Perot and every other name you can think of in the past few decades have huge blocks of voters until they lose something. As soon as they do the crowds move on to the next hotness. 2012 was just the cycle expressing itself faster than usual.

Trump isn't the new hotness, he's the Mitt Romney. Fiorina, Carson, Cruz, they are the new hotness.

Bip Roberts posted:

Trump is going to cap out at 40% of republicans max which will look okay in the states like Iowa who vote 100% on personality with a field of 10 but will get him trashed with a field of 3 on Super Tuesday.
Capping out at 40% is enough to win. Last year, Santorum and Romney pretty much tied in Iowa at 25%, 15% lower than his cap.
If this was 2012, and Romney could consistently pull down 40% he'd have won the first three primaries, and become the Nominee the same way Romney did: With a plurality over a majority.
Data.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I remember seeing a clip of Barkley talking about politics. He said he was talking with his mother and she started tearing into him for being a republican, ending it with "they only care about the rich!" To which he replied

"Mom, I'M rich!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Dammit, I missed the chance.

Yeah, this is gonna be a poo poo show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T9fk7NpgIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtY-pIVbc8

Ah haahahahhahaahahahahaah.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 7, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder:

9pm ET (8pm CT, 6pm PT)

Wolf Blitzer.

We are about to become a laughingstock on the world stage.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

No way. This can't be real.

hasn't wolf moderated a debate in each of the last two or three elections?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well now, Indiana, how will you jump on this? On one hand, Pence has made a lot of news (and regained polling ground) by demonizing Syrians specifically and Muslims generally. On the other hand, Rep Andre Carson is one of the only Muslims in congress. So what will we have?

Rep Luke Messer, in an official statement 17 minutes ago: "Travel documents can be weapons of terror"

Ok then.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

We are about to become a laughingstock on the world stage.

"about to become"?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He did the last Republican Primary as I posted previously but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIfyItDl0_c

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carson's statement manages to be somehow even more unsettling:

Also

quote:

When asked by The Hill whether that would include Muslim-American citizens currently abroad, Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks replied over email: "Mr. Trump says, 'everyone.'"

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

STAC Goat posted:

Well I guess my point is does being a "celebrity" really give Stacy Dash value over random black woman who no one knew before Fox News but probably has better credentials to be on the air? Sure, the percentages are small but if Fox News made a concentrated effort to find a bunch of minorities to hire I'm sure they could. 11% of African Americans is still a few million people, isn't? There's gotta be a few who have more to say than Stacy Dash. Does "Hey, she was in Clueless!" really hold that much value? Is it just star loving to the point where any "star" will do?

My guess is that yes. Remember, Fox News viewers are the type of people to consider Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty a sage commentator. Kirk Cameron makes plenty of hay supporting creationism. Kelsey Grammer and Dennis Miller are their stars. In fact, I'd bet to Conservatives, the less well-known the celebrity, the better, because the more likely they are not godless California liberals preaching drug use and sexuality like the rest of Hollyweird.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Which countries? North Korea? Saudi Arabia?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol:

Let's deny them embassy services too, just to drive the point home, eh?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

In a statement from his campaign, Trump called for a "total and complete shutdown" of Muslims entering the United States until elected leaders can "figure out what is going on."

When asked by The Hill whether that would include Muslim-American citizens currently abroad, Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks replied over email: "Mr. Trump says, 'everyone.'"

Well then.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Is it too late to kick the Irish out as well?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Was it Sasse? It must have been Sasse, the other NE senator is a horrible lady rather than a horrible man.

And yes, gently caress Ben Sasse and gently caress the hickass voters of this shitpile state for choosing him. He's going to be the next Ted Cruz, mark these words.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pathetic little tramp posted:

Which countries? North Korea? Saudi Arabia?

China does it in theory (they say you have to register with the local police for whatever city you're in) but in practice no one cares.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

She's not there to draw black viewership, she's there so people who watch Fox News can tell themselves they aren't racist as they mock layouts to Muslim concentration camps

Fried Chicken posted:

Well now, Indiana, how will you jump on this? On one hand, Pence has made a lot of news (and regained polling ground) by demonizing Syrians specifically and Muslims generally. On the other hand, Rep Andre Carson is one of the only Muslims in congress. So what will we have?

Rep Luke Messer, in an official statement 17 minutes ago: "Travel documents can be weapons of terror"

Ok then.

Honestly? Our guys are Walker evil...evil and lovely to the core but still too dumb to play with the big dogs. Pence can't make Indiana go full-Kansas without pissing off a lot of huge businessmen who are on "barge into your office and scream at you" terms with him, and his most recent anti-gay bill is largely damage control thanks to suburbs giving him the finger and passing local ordinances protecting LGBT rights, so it earns him no brownie points.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > USPOL Dec: Asked what prompted it, Mr. Trump said, "death"

Please, please make this thread title happen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Asked what prompted it, Death said, "Trump"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Also

and so it begins. So when will he start demanding a muslim free america. and who will be the Von Papen of the GOP that bends over for him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Trumped what Trumped Trump, Death Trumped, "Trump"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

HootTheOwl posted:

Trumped what Trumped Trump, Death Trumped, "Trump"

Trump trumps Trump trumps trump trump Trump trumps.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Also

This is less crazy than Christie, he thinks we should use ankle bracelets to lojack every tourist

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Trump trumps Trump trumps trump trump Trump trumps.

Insert cool Smurf parody comic here starring the Strumps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if Carson wants to do it to EVERY immigrant even the white and Christian ones does that make him comparatively progressive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

computer parts posted:

China does it in theory (they say you have to register with the local police for whatever city you're in) but in practice no one cares.

You also have to tell them where you're staying for the whole trip. Hostels have a deal where you don't have to pay the full amount until you check in, so you get reservations at a hostel in Beijing or something for your whole trip and just never show up. It costs like $5. It's very China.

• Locked thread