Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
If they make all basic lands tap for <>, wouldn't that make the <> cost mechanic 100% pointless in limited? That really doesn't seem like something they'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Sure you could Slash panther is 3R so you can tap nu-shops to pay the 3 of anything and 2 life to pay phyrexian red.

it's not colorless dude

his theoretical (and never gonna see print) land would only cast colorless cards

also more relevant counterpoint - phyrexian metalmorph

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

jassi007 posted:

artifacts are colorless. This would be better than Mishra's Workshop. A land that tapped for 3 that you could use in vintage shops decks, legacy MUD, modern affinity and Tron. Unless you mean spells as in instants and sorceries, not spells in general.

I meant what I wrote and I know it would be a miles better version of Mishra's Workshop (colored-artifact corner cases notwithstanding, which basically don't exist outside of Slash Panther and Metamorph or whatever). I just wanted to type Wasteshop and didn't think someone would take the suggestion of printing a better version of a $900 card seriously.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Balon posted:

If you have 2 lands in your hand at turn 4 youve flooded.
If you don't then awesome, his second ability is super relevant to your landfall deck which would otherwise be about to poo poo its pants and lose.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just feel like landfall kind of sucks with this card or not.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah I feel like this guy is solidly in standard roleplayer status; that is, good enough to see some play, but only as the last few slots of the deck in question and only if the deck is already decent without it (That deck is probably RG Landfall)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So the Mul Daya twins let you do the following:

Get double landfall in any turn.
Get an extra two mana out of two untapped lands, pushing you from 4 to 6 (return the land, replay it, tap for mana) without needing a 5th/6th land in your hand.
Are on curve as a 4/4 for 4
Double dip on spell lands

I don't think they're going to set the world on fire but they do A LOT for a single card, and that flexibility is a bit of value in an of itself.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

Get an extra two mana out of two untapped lands, pushing you from 4 to 6 (return the land, replay it, tap for mana) without needing a 5th/6th land in your hand.

I don't think they're going to set the world on fire but they do A LOT for a single card, and that flexibility is a bit of value in an of itself.

You have to pay RG to bounce the land.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I was thinking before, and maybe colored basics will be getting "t: add {x} to your mana pool" back on them now with the introduction of ♦️, I'd be all for that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Double landfall seems like the best one, but how good are most landfall effects really anyways?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sigma-X posted:

If it did the thing you say it does but that it doesn't do, it would be a lot better, yeah.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Valakut Predator can attack as a 10/10 with them out.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

I was thinking before, and maybe colored basics will be getting "t: add {x} to your mana pool" back on them now with the introduction of ♦️, I'd be all for that.

Maro always says testing shows more people are confused by that but literally every new kid I run into is using his lawnmower elves to fetch forests so...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how the article on the Holiday Cube (renamed Vintage Cube) just says "lol blue is the best color deal with it" to the point they cut cards from all the other colors to just add more blue cards.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maro always says testing shows more people are confused by that but literally every new kid I run into is using his lawnmower elves to fetch forests so...
Same here, in multiple cities and states. I really want to know where Maro/WotC are getting their "tests" from because I'm inclined to believe them less than any given statement preceded by "4 out of 5 dentists agree".

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

I like how the article on the Holiday Cube (renamed Vintage Cube) just says "lol blue is the best color deal with it" to the point they cut cards from all the other colors to just add more blue cards.

You mean they're making the only viable archetype in powered cube able to support more people? The monsters.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

I was like ... wha?

This seemed like a really silly idea.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

You have to pay RG to bounce the land.

oh poo poo, nevermind, card is trash :v:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i always liked that split second stifle from time spiral but since referencing the stack is verboten it will never be reprinted

Maro actually posted on his tumblr that they could reprint split second - they'd just rejig the reminder text.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that a card does not do the ludicrously broken thing you misread it as doing does not make it trash, IMO.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

No, but the fact that it's pretty sketchy for an aggro deck to play a 4/4 for 4 with no evasion and the fact that the trample ability is really inefficient and pretty useless for a midrange/ramp deck does.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

The card seems like it needs particularly strong landfall effect to be strong. Paying RG to trigger a +1/+1 effect a second time seems very anemic, even if you're also getting trample (especially past turn 4). +2/+2 is better but the +2/+2 cards all seem quite bad in isolation (without this legend in play, which probably weakens your average game). The actual landfall triggers I want to double up are Emeria Shepherd and Omnath, which are both extremely expensive cards, Retreat to Emeria, which awkwardly shares the same mana slot but generates something akin to cards, and Undergrowth Champion, which, while not the largest effect, is at least somewhat permanent and benefits from trample.

Gnarlid/Sliderunner -> Undergrowth Champion -> Twins seems like the most effective aggressive start, and I think it's questionable how effective that is, and if it can outpace other options. But we also have a whole OOTG set of potential landfall cards. The card is not so weak that it's worth dismissing.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

It's kind of impressive how long Masticore managed to stay in the Holiday Cube. Someone in R&D must have some serious nostalgia for Urza/Masques era standard.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I meant what I wrote and I know it would be a miles better version of Mishra's Workshop (colored-artifact corner cases notwithstanding, which basically don't exist outside of Slash Panther and Metamorph or whatever). I just wanted to type Wasteshop and didn't think someone would take the suggestion of printing a better version of a $900 card seriously.

The level of misunderstanding about the concept of colorless mana means I assume everyone else is tragically confused.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

No, but the fact that it's pretty sketchy for an aggro deck to play a 4/4 for 4 with no evasion and the fact that the trample ability is really inefficient and pretty useless for a midrange/ramp deck does.
1 mana to give one thing trample and the rest of your creatures +1/+1 isn't inefficient.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Maro's article today spoils Ken Nagle's mystery mechanic that a) didn't work and b) left a hole in the New Phyrexia design file so large they had to come up with something at the last minute to fix it, which turned out to be Phyrexian mana.

Spoiler warning: it's super dumb.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Maro's article today spoils Ken Nagle's mystery mechanic that a) didn't work and b) left a hole in the New Phyrexia design file so large they had to come up with something at the last minute to fix it, which turned out to be Phyrexian mana.

I saw that it was a topical blend and I decided to not read it because I remember the past topical blends being terrible

is that correct

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Froghammer posted:

Links are helpful if you want to discuss articles, assume this is the right one

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/topical-blend-did-you-hear-one-about-2015-12-07-0

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

I saw that it was a topical blend and I decided to not read it because I remember the past topical blends being terrible

is that correct

This one sucks as well. Can some brave and patient soul give us a tl;dr?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Ramos posted:

This one sucks as well. Can some brave and patient soul give us a tl;dr?

Maro posted:

"Ken Nagle was working on New Phyrexia. It was the culmination of a block-long storyline about an epic war between the Mirrans and the Phyrexians. There was a mystery surrounding which side would win, and two different names for the sets had been announced. Ken was eager to make sure the set delivered with a splashy culmination to the story and was eager to find a cool, larger-than-life mechanic. He thought he had found one with a mechanic called link. Inspired by B.F.M. from Unglued, the idea of creatures that were made up of more than one card had been bandied about for years, but Ken wanted to take the idea to the next level. What if there were right sides and left sides of cards and you could play any right side along with any left side?"

"Could you play just a right side or a left side?"

"No, each side required one of the other in order to cast it. The mechanic didn't care which right side or which left side you had, but you needed one of each. The idea was that you could mix and match to create a variety of creatures, and that each half would define part of what the creature was, both how big and with what abilities. Now, the art team was very skeptical. The graphics to make something like this work would be very odd, more like something out of a children's mix-and-match book than the style of art one would expect of a Magic set. There were card-layout concerns. Where exactly would you lay out the text and how would you be able to convey what each combination did? There were both rules and templating concerns. Making the link cards work would require a lot of time and attention."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I would have enjoyed that article as 4 short summaries of mechanics that didn't work out

Padding it out with stupid loving made up stories about death threats and whatever makes it insufferable

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
There was going to be a mechanic in Tempest where you could take a mulligan to guarantee certain cards ended up in your hand. It was dumb.

There was going to be a mechanic in Avacyn Restored when you started with some cards exiled/out of the game entirely, and other cards would let you shuffle those cards into your library. It was dumb.

There was going to be a mechanic in New Phyrexian where some creatures acted like the B.F.M., and you could mix and match sides. It was dumb.

There was going to be a mechanic in Time Spiral where having some cards in your deck let you also have cards in your deck from outside the format. For example, if you had a certain blue Wizard card in the deck, you could also put up to four copies of any one Wizard from all the Wizards ever printed in Magic in the deck too. They were going to did the same for red, white, green, black, and artifacts too. It was dumb.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This seems like some YuGiOh stuff. First PWNAGE (ugh), and this... What's with Ken Nagle and that kind of thing?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: Dang, double post.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For anyone interested, Joe Loesset is doing a debriefing of SCG Denver and doing giveaways for chat participants, starting with cards from his Bring to Light deck and moving on to playmats, etc.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
That mechanic sounds just awful, too. Those cards would have to be powerful enough when assembled to justify being an automatic 1-for-2, and if they're otherwise dead in your hand then the variance would be through the roof.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Tempest had a Maro mechanic where you could start with certain cards in your hand if you started with 1 less card.

Avacyn restored proto miracles, which were super efficient cards like lighting bolt for 5 damage that started the game outside your deck and then got shuffled in.

New phyrexia, Nagle wants a splashy mechanic and naturally turns to the stupid 2 card 99/99 creature from loving unglued because of course he does. Everybody is like "absolutely not", but Nagle keeps pushing it. Has to get cut for phyrexian mana.

Time spiral, Maro wants to pull in cards from across magic history with a rare cycle. So if you have this 1 card in your deck, you can play up to 4 wizards from any set regardless of format. Or any 6 mana artifact &c.

Also about 5000 words of pointless fan fiction about nothing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Tempest had a Maro mechanic where you could start with certain cards in your hand if you started with 1 less card.

Avacyn restored proto miracles, which were super efficient cards like lighting bolt for 5 damage that started the game outside your deck and then got shuffled in.

New phyrexia, Nagle wants a splashy mechanic and naturally turns to the stupid 2 card 99/99 creature from loving unglued because of course he does. Everybody is like "absolutely not", but Nagle keeps pushing it. Has to get cut for phyrexian mana.

Time spiral, Maro wants to pull in cards from across magic history with a rare cycle. So if you have this 1 card in your deck, you can play up to 4 wizards from any set regardless of format. Or any 6 mana artifact &c.

Also about 5000 words of pointless fan fiction about nothing.

i think i was the one who suggested the non-magic-related topic and im sorry

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

fan fiction about nothing.
I didn't know Maro also wrote for Seinfeld!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Allstone posted:

Maro actually posted on his tumblr that they could reprint split second - they'd just rejig the reminder text.

that's cool, it's not like it'd be hard to reword it, now to hope for another another time travel set so it can come back

• Locked thread