Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crazyeyes posted:

Her father relentlessly asks why she went to the OBGYN every time she goes. She's not worried the doctor will divulge info, more that her father will pester her mercilessly about it and she is unwilling to tell him to butt out. As a guy i may not grasp the difference between oral contraception vs implant varieties as far as sigma but I think she may think he'll get upset or something even though I consider it the same thing. He knows she takes BC so it shouldn't matter but she thinks it does. He's got this whole "daddy's little princess" mentality so he may legit think she's still a virgin and takes BC for more wholesome reasons. Not like I sit down with him and talk about his daughter's and my sex life.

He's a nice guy but rather irritating in some ways.

If by nice guy you mean extremely controlling rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

He's treating her like this when she's 25? How is this any of his business?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you considered sitting down with him and saying, "Hey your daughter, my girlfriend of X years, is scared to talk to go to the doctor, because you might be pestering her about something incredibly sensitive."?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Crazyeyes posted:

Her father relentlessly asks why she went to the OBGYN every time she goes. She's not worried the doctor will divulge info, more that her father will pester her mercilessly about it and she is unwilling to tell him to butt out. As a guy i may not grasp the difference between oral contraception vs implant varieties as far as sigma but I think she may think he'll get upset or something even though I consider it the same thing. He knows she takes BC so it shouldn't matter but she thinks it does. He's got this whole "daddy's little princess" mentality so he may legit think she's still a virgin and takes BC for more wholesome reasons. Not like I sit down with him and talk about his daughter's and my sex life.

No, he isn't a nice guy. He's a piece of poo poo.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
FYI if she can't face her parents about this, she probably won't be able to in other parts of her life and they will basically continue to control her part of your relationship from now until they die.

If you think moving in together is going to somehow sever the influence they have, you're in for a total poo poo show.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

That is not irritating, that is unhealthy, controlling behavior that is damaging her emotionally. Seriously, he is making his daughter neurotic and paranoid by harassing her over her private health issues. Maybe she's awesome and amazing in other ways, but I'd find just having to deal with this circus not worth it. And Prada Slut is right, this will NOT go away when she moves out unless she completely cuts all ties with him.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Couple weeks ago I asked for thoughts about my boyfriend wanting to keep our open relationship status, but having guilt issues about it. Well I found out what the real underlying issue was. He asked me to go with him to a Dr's appt tomorrow afternoon. He told me that he was HIV positive, and wanted me to meet with his Dr about getting me started on PrEP (Truvada) so that I'm safer with him. He was terrified that I would basically walk, and why he wasn't wanting to fully commit and put himself out there. I'm not walking. I really do care for him, pretty confident I love him. I let him know I'll be there at his appt, and while safety is a concern, we'd deal with it together.

So, what guidance can anyone give about this particular situation? I already knew the basics about Truvada prior to this, but never pursued trying to get a Rx for it. I'm sure I'll learn plenty from his Infectious Disease Dr tomorrow, so I guess I'm looking for input on being HIV negative while in a relationship with someone who's positive. I suspect this will be challenging at times, but I refuse to lose what I could have with this amazing guy.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
If he doesn't drive her there himself, he has no reason to know she's going to any kind of doctor at all. I would have been lying to him and saying I was going out "with friends" or "to the mall" or "to the movies with [boyfriend]" the entire time, wtf. I shouldn't judge but I grew up in a household with very watchful, in-my-business parents and I know it's possible to keep secrets from your parents if you really want to. Tbqh I'd sever until she grows a spine and gives her dad some drat boundaries. Moving out is not going to fix it if she still feels compelled to tell him that she's going to the gynecologist every time.

Madbullogna, I have no experience with HIV but I wish you the best. I guess the basic advice would be to make sure any partners you've had or shared with him are informed as well, and keep an eye on his virus counts/use barrier protection. How long has he known his status? Is it a red flag for you that he continued to engage in intercourse/play with others possibly knowing he carried the virus and not informing them? I'm trying not to be judgemental here and understand that HIV status is a pretty big wrench in the works when finding one-night-stands, let alone a lifetime relationship, and that he was probably scared shitless of telling anyone, but that's something that I think everybody involved needs to know ASAP, so it's pretty important you figure out when he first tested positive and how many partners you two have shared since.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Madbullogna, I have no experience with HIV but I wish you the best. I guess the basic advice would be to make sure any partners you've had or shared with him are informed as well, and keep an eye on his virus counts/use barrier protection. How long has he known his status? Is it a red flag for you that he continued to engage in intercourse/play with others possibly knowing he carried the virus and not informing them? I'm trying not to be judgemental here and understand that HIV status is a pretty big wrench in the works when finding one-night-stands, let alone a lifetime relationship, and that he was probably scared shitless of telling anyone, but that's something that I think everybody involved needs to know ASAP, so it's pretty important you figure out when he first tested positive and how many partners you two have shared since.

His viral load is actually why he's seeing his Dr tomorrow, he hasn't been on meds since his diagnosis a couple of years ago. He told me he didn't see the point in it, and apparently it's been a tough couple of years for him. Thankfully, he has decided he wants to be around for a long time and take care of himself, so his Dr is going to consider whatever AV meds are appropriate for where he's at right now.

As far as playing with others, I know the majority have been Grindr hookups. I know his profile doesn't disclose either way, and at least when we first hooked up, I never asked either. I've got mixed feelings on that, on all sides of the argument. But I do know he used protection when he plays, (as we have as well), and he never lied to me. But again, I didn't specifically ask, which gets into that horrid debate about what is socially and morally the right thing to do.

It was a long night, so I'm still getting answers, but he's been open to me this far. I know I'll be asking more over the next few days. Figures I finally find a great one, and it's got one of the trickiest strings attached to it that I could have imagined.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
This also sounds like one of those situations where her parents will pressure her for grandkids, she'll fold and "forget" to take her birth control without telling you, she'll get knocked up, and then refuse the abortion that she was so confident telling you she would definitely get. I'm not calling her a liar, but the stress of it all mixed with the parental influence will probably make that how it plays out.

I'm not trying to scare you off necessarily, but you need to keep these things as a consideration. Her situation sounds ridiculously unstable already, and you're going to leave the entirety of your birth control fate to her. You don't want kids for 5-8 years, I all but guarantee you it'll be two years at the most if this keeps up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PRADA SLUT posted:

This also sounds like one of those situations where her parents will pressure her for grandkids, she'll fold and "forget" to take her birth control without telling you, she'll get knocked up, and then refuse the abortion that she was so confident telling you she would definitely get. I'm not calling her a liar, but the stress of it all mixed with the parental influence will probably make that how it plays out.

I'm not trying to scare you off necessarily, but you need to keep these things as a consideration. Her situation sounds ridiculously unstable already, and you're going to leave the entirety of your birth control fate to her. You don't want kids for 5-8 years, I all but guarantee you it'll be two years at the most if this keeps up.

Right but she always makes him wear condoms no matter what, so even if she stopped, he's still protected. Hell she might make him wear condoms because she forgets to take her BC regularly. We don't know really why, I'm not sure what's wrong with just respecting that your gf asks you to wear a rubber, or why we have to grind down her will to have safer (albeit overkill,) sex.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madbullogna posted:

His viral load is actually why he's seeing his Dr tomorrow, he hasn't been on meds since his diagnosis a couple of years ago. He told me he didn't see the point in it, and apparently it's been a tough couple of years for him. Thankfully, he has decided he wants to be around for a long time and take care of himself, so his Dr is going to consider whatever AV meds are appropriate for where he's at right now.

As far as playing with others, I know the majority have been Grindr hookups. I know his profile doesn't disclose either way, and at least when we first hooked up, I never asked either. I've got mixed feelings on that, on all sides of the argument. But I do know he used protection when he plays, (as we have as well), and he never lied to me. But again, I didn't specifically ask, which gets into that horrid debate about what is socially and morally the right thing to do.

It was a long night, so I'm still getting answers, but he's been open to me this far. I know I'll be asking more over the next few days. Figures I finally find a great one, and it's got one of the trickiest strings attached to it that I could have imagined.

My definition of "a great one" would not include someone who has sex with multiple partners while knowing he is HIV+ and without telling them. That would be my definition of "a worthless piece of poo poo".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:sever: with the man who lied about having HIV.

(Lies of Omissions are lies, it's not your job to gestapo people about their STDs.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I'd have to agree that's a pretty big lie by omission, it's an understandable one but still a whopper.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I'd have to agree that's a pretty big lie by omission, it's an understandable one but still a whopper.

Not to be an rear end in a top hat, but "my dick dispenses death," is not really a super understandable secret to keep.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
HIV isn't a death sentence anymore

regardless that is a pretty major breach of trust

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

My definition of "a great one" would not include someone who has sex with multiple partners while knowing he is HIV+ and without telling them. That would be my definition of "a worthless piece of poo poo".

Someone who wasn't on antiretrovirals despite knowing he was positive, at that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, just take 5 pills twice a day, deal with the side effects and you'll live a normal lifespan. Or... That would be the case if AIDS was older then like 30 years, and no-one has lived a "Natural" lifespan yet.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Turtlicious posted:

Right but she always makes him wear condoms no matter what, so even if she stopped, he's still protected. Hell she might make him wear condoms because she forgets to take her BC regularly. We don't know really why, I'm not sure what's wrong with just respecting that your gf asks you to wear a rubber, or why we have to grind down her will to have safer (albeit overkill,) sex.

Well I always have to wear them because she is convinced she'll get pregnant without them. "Better safe than sorry" on overdrive.

And there is nothing technically ~wrong~ with her decision. I just think it's somewhat uninformed and irrational because she is so resistant to even discussing other options. I'd prefer to not have to because it: feels better (for both of us), doesn't interrupt the moment, is one more thing I need to buy and keep around, and if she had an IUD or other highly reliable BC, is completely redundant and not needed.

I realize it is her choice about what she is comfortable with, and I respect that, but that doesn't mean I will abandon trying to convince her of something that can make me happier/more content without putting her at any risk. Her squirming uncomfortably while discussing options is not a good enough reason not to communicate my wants.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It sounds like your wants have been communicated just fine, though, she just disagrees with you.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Jedit posted:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let me use a parable, kind of like the Jesus Christ of Cocks, don't worry I'm going somewhere with this.

A man and a woman love each other very much, they hang out a lot, and the man wants to be intimate. The woman says no, she doesn't want to be intimate, she's worried about her purity, about getting pregnant, about dick rot, and a few other things. The man continues to try and convince her, and the woman keeps saying no.

The man asks every day for a few months, then he asks his friends for ideas to talk to the woman. This went on for... 3 days let's say. The woman was still uncomfortable with the idea, but went through with it, because it made the relentless pestering stop.

Was what the man did respectful of her thoughts and feelings?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Let me use a parable, kind of like the Jesus Christ of Cocks, don't worry I'm going somewhere with this.

A man and a woman love each other very much, they hang out a lot, and the man wants to be intimate. The woman says no, she doesn't want to be intimate, she's worried about her purity, about getting pregnant, about dick rot, and a few other things. The man continues to try and convince her, and the woman keeps saying no.

The man asks every day for a few months, then he asks his friends for ideas to talk to the woman. This went on for... 3 days let's say. The woman was still uncomfortable with the idea, but went through with it, because it made the relentless pestering stop.

Was what the man did respectful of her thoughts and feelings?

True. We all gotta conduct our hustles with loyalty and respect.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Madbullogna posted:

If the guy is sticking his dick in people without divulging up front that he's HIV positive, with a condom on or not, you should RUN THE gently caress AWAY.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Madbullogna posted:

Jesus Christ sever.

Being HIV+ is not something that a good person lies about, even by omission, to people they're loving. Especially when they're not even being treated to reduce the chances of spreading it. The fact that you've slept with him several times, and know of multiple other partners, and just now found out means that this is not a person you can trust. Period. End of story. If he'll lie about this, what else will he lie about?

Get tested, repeatedly and religiously, and run the gently caress away.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 7, 2015

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

yeah Crazyeyes, whether you think she has good reasons or not, she's made her opinion very clear and you should stop bugging her about this, your thoughts on her logic literally do not matter in this situation

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Geoj posted:

This would be a decent reason to not want to get on oral contraceptives but with an implant or IUD there isn't going to be any outward evidence she has it, and if she's concerned about her doctor spilling the beans the law is very, very clear regarding doctor/patient confidentiality - her doctor would be risking his/her license to practice medicine by divulging such information to her parents unless she was still a minor.

I had an iud put in and about a year later someone called my parents house asking for me, saying they were collecting info from people who may have had complications from the iud. They said this to my dad. It was way weird.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone ITT needs to sever. I'm sorry, but I made my decision. If you're married, please send your wedding rings to me and I will destroy them for you.

Thank you for your cooperation.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 7, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bobula posted:

I had an iud put in and about a year later someone called my parents house asking for me, saying they were collecting info from people who may have had complications from the iud. They said this to my dad. It was way weird.

That seems like it should be actionable under HIPAA. Someone let your medical information out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bobula posted:

Lawyer up, sue for breach of HIPAA, enjoy your free money. Having a "way weird" conversation with your dad sounds like a pretty good trade off!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Turtlicious posted:

:sever: with the man who lied about having HIV.

:agreed:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

KillHour posted:

Lawyer up, sue for breach of HIPAA, enjoy your free money. Having a "way weird" conversation with your dad sounds like a pretty good trade off!

Unless you signed off saying it's okay to call and talk about it, they're in the poo poo.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

bobula posted:

Pretty sure that's like... really illegal. Enjoy your free money.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobula posted:

Uhhh, sue those guys.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Suing everyone at the drop of a hat isn't a good way to manage a society.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suing people who release confidential medical information to just anyone is a way to make sure they don't loving do it again, and hence why HIPAA is a thing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ras Het posted:

Suing everyone at the drop of a hat isn't a good way to manage a society.

Suing people at the drop of patient privacy is!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I have no idea who they were in the end since he told me later about the call and I denied knowing wtf he was talking about because he's religious and all that poo poo too. So not suing anyone, just wanted to point out that it's not that impossible for your parent to somehow find out about even something like an IUD.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sever with your dad, sue the company, quit your job, use more lube, and try butt stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Too bad HIPAA has no private cause of action so there's literally no money to be had.