Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
With the latest Regrowth update I had to completely delete my folder then re download before it would work again, but it means i have to redo the basic quests :(
one thought would be if the requirement for a furnace could be replaced with the slab furnace, I always make the slab crafting, furnace and tinkers stuff i like how it looks better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Breakdown of the update please

Well the changelog is on the site and you can just go read it, but here's some interesting stuff:
*Dayblooms and Nightshades about twice as strong now.
*Removed diminishing returns for passive flowers.
*Removed Mana Petals. Any recipes that used them previously have been tweaked.
*Increased the Thermalily's production rate, time and lowered its cooldown (to 5 minutes).
*The Thermalily now resets its cooldown back to 5 minutes if it absorbs any lava while it's in cooldown.
*Runes used for recipes in the Runic Altar are now given back upon the recipe's completion.

So it looks like the Thermalily might actually be worth crafting now for manual feeding. It definitely won't work with constantly refilling lava pools like that Blood Magic ritual or a MFR Fountain, unless you can get it to only place lava once every 5 minutes.
Also you only need one of each rune now! That's pretty loving great.
Hydroangeas not requiring mana to make means that they're maybe worth using even with decay. Maybe. It looks like they got buffed after the decay change got put in, so...

edit: oh wait, I forgot you consume runes in the petal apothecary. So you'll still need to make runes, but making the advanced runes is less of a pain in the rear end now.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 7, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

quote:

Right clicking a Runic Altar with Livingrock now places it on top perfectly centered. (same for the T.A. Plate and relevant items)

nice

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
She also made a slight change to the "Philosophy" of the mod;

quote:

Changed almost all flower recipes to follow a new "no more than 4 different petals per flower" rule, effectively simplifying flower crafting.

Which is greatly appreciated! It did also come with this caveat;

quote:

Lowered (by a bunch) the amount of flowers that are generated in the world.

But that's fine. Creating ways to generate flowers on demand always was a "first big success" thing in my mind.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Well the changelog is on the site and you can just go read it, but here's some interesting stuff:
*Dayblooms and Nightshades about twice as strong now.
*Removed diminishing returns for passive flowers.
*Removed Mana Petals. Any recipes that used them previously have been tweaked.
*Increased the Thermalily's production rate, time and lowered its cooldown (to 5 minutes).
*The Thermalily now resets its cooldown back to 5 minutes if it absorbs any lava while it's in cooldown.
*Runes used for recipes in the Runic Altar are now given back upon the recipe's completion.

So it looks like the Thermalily might actually be worth crafting now for manual feeding. It definitely won't work with constantly refilling lava pools like that Blood Magic ritual or a MFR Fountain, unless you can get it to only place lava once every 5 minutes.

You can absolutely do that with the Botania hourglass if you use a MFR interaction machine to bucket and then another to place the bucket.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, I'm glad that went through before we officially started up the server I've been working on. Should I just be able to switch out the jar file and have the mod be updated, or will this require a complete wipe and restart?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
She also documented the fact that if you right click a petal on grass, burying it, and then bone meal that, it gives you a tall version of that color flower, for a profit of three petals each time, making it a lot simpler early on to get the exact colors you need.

With the removal of Mana petals (thank god) she added mana powder which takes its place - made by tossing redstone/glowstone/gunpowder/sugar/any floral powder in a mana pool (without the alchemy or conjuration catalysts). Since you can use sugar or floral powder, that's drat cheap and easy, and you no longer have to figure out how many of the nearly-identical petals are mana and how many aren't.

The pure daisy was also made faster, which I appreciate given how much livingrock I can go through.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Thyrork posted:

She also made a slight change to the "Philosophy" of the mod;

Which is greatly appreciated! It did also come with this caveat;

But that's fine. Creating ways to generate flowers on demand always was a "first big success" thing in my mind.

yeah, setting up an amaranthus or whatever was never much of an issue, and if runes are also going to stop being consumable then overall the recipes stop being as bloated.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
So where's the catch? This seems... overall totally improved.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

LanceKing2200 posted:

No catch. She did a huge thread on the FTB Subreddit last week asking for feedback, and this overhaul is the result.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

LanceKing2200 posted:

Despite Goon :argh:ing (Justified or not, agreed or otherwise), Vazkii is legit A Good Modder.

Also something like, 17 or 18 apparently. So prone to the occasional flits of madness we all experienced around that time. :shrug:

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I have been trying to run a small Baby's First Space Race for my wife and I to play on, but I am running into problems.

I downloaded and unpacked, then lauched the server launch bat to open the server. After a few minutes everything seems to be working fine like my other servers I have used in the past but once the world loads the server starts having issues...

"Cant Keep Up! Did the system time change or is the system overloaded?" and the server will not allow minecraft to actually connect to the client. Is there something I didn't configure and am doing wrong?

EDIT: Finally got it connected but it is only showing a large square area and other areas are not loading... it is still displaying that error message too.

GotDonuts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Thyrork posted:

Despite Goon :argh:ing (Justified or not, agreed or otherwise), Vazkii is legit A Good Modder.

Also something like, 17 or 18 apparently. So prone to the occasional flits of madness we all experienced around that time. :shrug:

Goons are just used to insane assholes that make some of the more egregious poo poo, but they were a little too quick to dump on vazkii imo. Botania has probably the best and most reasonable progression of any mod I have played, not to mention some of the only good ingame documentation.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Except for the whole bit where it needlessly obfuscates all its own details and forces you to code-dive to get actual numbers on anything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but in fairness you don't need the numbers

genuinely impressed and pleased by the latest update

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Except for the whole bit where it needlessly obfuscates all its own details and forces you to code-dive to get actual numbers on anything.

The numbers are not important. I played deep into botania several times over the course of a year+ and never knew nor needed to know the numbers. They're nice if you wanna megasperg but aren't necessary.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not necessary my foot. I spent like an hour automating a lava system to feed some thermalilies only to discover that thermalilies aren't worth jack squat compared to a charcoal farm for endoflames, despite being harder to make and harder to automate. Time totally wasted entirely because someone decided actually displaying the numbers is less immersive or whatever.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mzbundifund posted:

Not necessary my foot. I spent like an hour automating a lava system to feed some thermalilies only to discover that thermalilies aren't worth jack squat compared to a charcoal farm for endoflames, despite being harder to make and harder to automate. Time totally wasted entirely because someone decided actually displaying the numbers is less immersive or whatever.

I don't know what's up with thermalilies. The only thing I can guess is that they haven't been tended to or buffed because it is really difficult to automate lava generation and placing. All the other flowers I've encountered so far are at least worth it to make an automated system, regardless of their relative mana producing power.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

did you not experiment with a single thermalily first

or did you just assume

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I'm starting up a Resonant Rise 3 server for a friend and myself, making alterations based off of the mainline since he picked that first. It's his choice for the launcher and the pack.

What are these Gany mods and are they good or bad? I have never seen or heard of them before and the descriptions in the AT Launcher do not fill me with optimism.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I'll agree with you there, in a way. Thermalillies used to be really good but then were repeatedly nerfed into the ground after vazkii found out that it was extremely easy to automate them in basically every big modpack, to the point that they become worthless to even make. Sounds like this update addressed that, though. They'll be more difficult to automate (and won't be able to be nearly as compactly spaced) now but will supply an amount of mana comparable to what they originally did.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
News from the forefront of Galactic Science!

- There appears to be sweet gently caress-all on the lunar surface, which is fine because I don't have journey map to help find my base again!

- Low gravity is entertaining at first, annoying when your just mined block floats away, and infuriating when the GODDAMNED SPIDERS swim through space to eat your face AGAIN.

- Speaking of Mobs, Lunar Mobs are loving ridiculous. How are you firing those bows, you rear end in a top hat skeleton!?

- Lunar day is 4 times the length of one Earth day in-game. I was okay with this. 4 times long night, I am less so.

- Sifting. Oh god sifting why. No, really, does Ore Dust poo poo out 2 ingots in a furnace? Because this pack doesn't include TINKERS FFS.

And back BFSR I go.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, this is comparable to AgSkies grind in the early game. Less so because you rarely have to worry about food (and eliminate entirely once you bucket out some minechem glucose to stand in), worse so because you have to keep humping back to fill your oxygen tanks. I've barely moved past Stirling generators running off Hydrogen to the same generators running off buckets of lava because everything useful is made of iron. And apparently next update they're removing Ex Astris so...auto-sifting in a machine is gone.

Unsurprisingly the HQM questbook only hints at what sort of pathway you should be heading towards instead of how to actually get your resources efficiently. Like the minechem quests! Good ideas but they're merely starting points in a starved world so you aren't going to get a lot of experimentation if a machine/upgrade they build is actually a dead end. The Moar Power line is completely garbage, completely shutting you out as soon as you open up Vat because it requires Desh (from Mars, which is a tier 2 rocket). Honestly it needed to focus on the sifter and getting you set up on automation so that you aren't completely lost.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 8, 2015

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

did you not experiment with a single thermalily first

or did you just assume

Are people expected to stare at a mana pool, stopwatch in hand, comparing the number of pixels per minute per flower, beforehand? Compared to making the wild assumption that more complex flower + rarer/more difficult to automate fuel = better mana source.

The Thermalilies are really the biggest and worst offender in the lack of numbers discussion. I know that for me I just stopped bothering making anything besides endoflames because I felt like the odds were very good, based on what I had experienced making thermalilies and the TNT flowers, that every other flower was straight up inferior to endoflames in almost every way.

There's something to be said for encouraging experimentation, but if that's the way you're expected to figure stuff out, don't make the experiments a waste of time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Steelion posted:

Are people expected to stare at a mana pool, stopwatch in hand, comparing the number of pixels per minute per flower, beforehand?

no, you just use it for a little bit then look at how much mana it made and be all "oh hey this is cool" or "hey this is garbo let's try something else"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the idea is that you try everything, and the fun of the flower isn't its effectiveness, but in building the rube goldberg machine you need to make it work

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Steelion posted:

Are people expected to stare at a mana pool, stopwatch in hand, comparing the number of pixels per minute per flower, beforehand? Compared to making the wild assumption that more complex flower + rarer/more difficult to automate fuel = better mana source.

The Thermalilies are really the biggest and worst offender in the lack of numbers discussion. I know that for me I just stopped bothering making anything besides endoflames because I felt like the odds were very good, based on what I had experienced making thermalilies and the TNT flowers, that every other flower was straight up inferior to endoflames in almost every way.

There's something to be said for encouraging experimentation, but if that's the way you're expected to figure stuff out, don't make the experiments a waste of time.

Entropinnyums are actually good tho. You just have to have some way of autospawning creepers for the gunpowder.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

GotDonuts posted:

I have been trying to run a small Baby's First Space Race for my wife and I to play on, but I am running into problems.

I downloaded and unpacked, then lauched the server launch bat to open the server. After a few minutes everything seems to be working fine like my other servers I have used in the past but once the world loads the server starts having issues...

"Cant Keep Up! Did the system time change or is the system overloaded?" and the server will not allow minecraft to actually connect to the client. Is there something I didn't configure and am doing wrong?

EDIT: Finally got it connected but it is only showing a large square area and other areas are not loading... it is still displaying that error message too.

That's a resources problem, either not enough RAM or just not enough CPU power to keep up, I'm not entirely sure which. Unless being able to play time-independently is important, there's always the old standby of the world being on one person's computer and just opening to LAN...I'm using this with Hamachi to play BFSR with my long-distance boyfriend and it's been working fine for us aside from him getting kicked when I tried going to the Nether without him.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Entropinnyums are actually good tho. You just have to have some way of autospawning creepers for the gunpowder.

note that this can be as simple as a bog-standard vanilla mob grinder

whatever you do, don't use the alchemy catalyst to convert flint into gunpowder for this; doing so is significantly net mana negative

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I still love the concept, but as with most things Minecraft the implementation is... not so great.

Someone get Vechs to make a superhostile map that is actually a giant, broken starship. Bonus points if you twach him how to use mods so it can have a giant working reactor that powers everything on the ship (that we have to fix before it goes BOOM).

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh

taiyoko posted:

That's a resources problem, either not enough RAM or just not enough CPU power to keep up, I'm not entirely sure which. Unless being able to play time-independently is important, there's always the old standby of the world being on one person's computer and just opening to LAN...I'm using this with Hamachi to play BFSR with my long-distance boyfriend and it's been working fine for us aside from him getting kicked when I tried going to the Nether without him.

Wow, that cleared up the issue perfectly. Thank you so much! There went our evening...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

no, you just use it for a little bit then look at how much mana it made and be all "oh hey this is cool" or "hey this is garbo let's try something else"

Yeah I used it for a little bit and when I went to look at how much mana it made there was a tiny pixel of mana at the bottom of the mana pool just like every other flower. Sorry I didn't get out my calipers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I suspect my shenanigans in BFSR with CofH oregen overrides does not help in generating new chunks. It tries multiple times to find spots in a chunk to generate ores. I am unsure how to conveniently test this; it is obfuscated during normal play with all the other mods, so it is tough to analyze a performance profile.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I used it for a little bit and when I went to look at how much mana it made there was a tiny pixel of mana at the bottom of the mana pool just like every other flower. Sorry I didn't get out my calipers.

the non-passive flowers make way more mana than that so idk what you are on about

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Convinced a friend to play blightfall with me.
So, should we do this by me opening a multiplayer map and playing via lan or do i need to set up my pc as a server and we both connect to it?

(i dont see her playing that much when im not on, but if she does how much is a minecraft server a month?)

Edit : Oh, and should i update the botania mod in there or will it break everything?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 8, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Gonna pimp https://www.roxservers.com again. I have a 4-user minecraft server running BFSR and teamspeak for about €4 a month. Plus they're really friendly and will help you install the modpack if you ask nicely. Performance is a bit spotty when generating terrain, but seems fast enough the rest of the time (although I've been pretty careful about laggy stuff in my base).

While I'm thinking about it - is there any easy way to travel long distances in BFSR? Ideally teleportation, but high speed rail or something would be fine too. Oh, and can we have ender storage in the next version? I miss taking ender pouches on mining trips.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

While I'm thinking about it - is there any easy way to travel long distances in BFSR? Ideally teleportation, but high speed rail or something would be fine too. Oh, and can we have ender storage in the next version? I miss taking ender pouches on mining trips.

There was some talk about putting RFTools in BFSR-- I think this is the best reason to do so. The teleporter system in it is pretty darn good. On Progress most people had a public teleporter or two in their base and it was pretty nifty to be able to quickly tour everyone's building projects without endgame mobility options.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Wolfsbane posted:

While I'm thinking about it - is there any easy way to travel long distances in BFSR? Ideally teleportation, but high speed rail or something would be fine too.

It gets expensive real quick but you can launch a rocket and then tilt over sideways to get places in a jiffy. Just be sure to tilt the rocket up a bit before jumping out at your destination because they explode something fierce :v:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You guys do realize that you can hook EnderIO conduits to a mana exchanger and pump the mana into a portable tank, right? I believe with standard numbers pre-this-recent-change, 1 mana pool held 1 bucket or 1000mb worth of mana. You can absolutely just hook the tank to an empty pool, set 1 flower of each type to output individually to the pool and measure the output by looking at the tank after X amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Doesn't BFSR have Mekanism? I remember Mek teleporters being pretty good.