Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tomn posted:

Well, allowing the Japanese to walk into heavily prepared defenses would have...

A: Torn a pretty big chunk out of the cream of the Kido Butai, and

B: Allowed the Americans to say "Ah-ha! You see, the Japanese struck first in a cowardly sneak attack, but fortunately we were able to defeat their despicable blow with our superior American know-how! Courage, boys, and let's protect ourselves from the treacherous foe!"

Assuming that the American preparations were effective, anyways.

bewbies posted:

First, I think it would have been almost impossible to convince the top levels of government that the Japanese were ballsy enough (and capable of) mounting a surprise attack at Pearl Harbor. We didn't think much of the Japanese at that point and the Pacific Fleet was probably the largest and most capable surface fleet in the world at the time (from a traditional assessment of "how many battleships do you have and how big are they", at least). If you did have some sort of absolutely ironclad intelligence that the Japanese were gonna do this thing, and you had a reasonable estimate of their timeline and position, I think they likely would have sailed the fleet out to meet them while furiously negotiating trying to prevent a shooting war at the same time. A high seas fight between the intact 1941 Pacific Fleet and the IJN would have been absolutely crazy.

Pearl Harbor by Alan D. Zimm goes over this. You didn't need to convince top-level people, just convince Kimmal/Short to keep their level of preparedness up for ONE MORE WEEK. Also, it would make an absolutely huge difference. Chapter nine maths out that scenario to create an estimate. All air defenses combined, with 40 minutes of warning, could shoot down between 31% and 88% of the attacking force (depending on whether you want to take the higher or lower estimate). Many of the ships could possibly have been saved with watertight integrity set (particularly Oklahoma).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hawgh posted:

A question: A few pages back, You mentioned some papers detailing people regularly hanging around enemy camps, and returning. How close did your guys camp to each other?
Not enemy camps, I think. Just "enemies." 30yw armies are almost always spread out hugely. You only collect everyone if you think there's going to be a thing, and even then there's always a sort of cloud of dudes leaving and coming back, usually to get food or go haying. (Most of a soldier's time is spent haying.)Sometimes those dudes encounter their enemies, who are doing the same thing. I don't think one of these guys could stroll on into a big central Imperialist camp (pretty sure that document was from after the Saxons switched sides) and go "Hey man, how's it going?"

Anyway, it varies depending on what's going on and where everyone is, from "kinda far" to "the night before Luetzen, people could practically talk to one another" but the way everything went down before that fight was weird

quote:

And more generally, does anyone know something about how close armies could get to each other, before they had throw down, throughout history?
in the 30yw, closer than you'd think because these peoples' knowledge of what's going on seems to have been amazingly, surprisingly terrible.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 7, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

Not enemy camps, I think. Just "enemies." 30yw armies are almost always spread out hugely. You only collect everyone if you think there's going to be a thing, and even then there's always a sort of cloud of dudes leaving and coming back, usually to get food or go haying. (Most of a soldier's time is spent haying.)Sometimes those dudes encounter their enemies, who are doing the same thing. I don't think one of these guys could stroll on into a big central Imperialist camp (pretty sure that document was from after the Saxons switched sides) and go "Hey man, how's it going?"

Anyway, it varies depending on what's going on and where everyone is, from "kinda far" to "the night before Luetzen, people could practically talk to one another" but the way everything went down before that fight was weird

in the 30yw, closer than you'd think because these peoples' knowledge of what's going on seems to have been amazingly, surprisingly terrible.

Is that "haying" in the agricultural sense?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Is that "haying" in the agricultural sense?
yes. a horse needs some huge number of calories per day to live.

edit: also you're really close in sieges, in one of the sieges ernst von mansfeld was involved in the lines were close enough that the men could "touch pikes and yell insults at one another," which is a great phrase

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The more you talk about 30YW armies, the more I imagine them as moving festival campsites with pikes and guns.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chillyrabbit posted:

Since today is Dec 7 I was wondering, what if the Americans did know the attack on Pearl Harbor was happening? Since I keep on hearing about the advance knowledge conspiracy.

Would the Americans have sent a diplomatic note saying "We know", or would they just put the whole fleet to sea and have the base ready for war, or would they have aggressively scouted out the Japanese fleet with patrol aircraft to try and force them back?

Like what would the prevailing American action at that time would have been?

Apparently there was some warning of the attack. A primitive radar station had been set up and spotted a huge blip, indicating a large number of incoming planes about 130 miles out. The lieutenant in charge thought it was a flight of incoming B-17s and told the operator not to worry about it.

Less than an hour later the bombs started falling.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, no Panther with an 88 mm gun was ever built. The Panther had higher muzzle velocity than the Tiger, the Tiger's gun wasn't actually that exceptional.

Again: Jadgpanther!

The transmission was in the rear, so you didn't have to run a crankshaft along the floor of the tank, therefore you could make it lower. That saves a lot of metal. Then there are the ridiculous electro tanks that also had to carry huge generators with them, including two tons of (very expensive) copper.

It was just SO COMPLECTED

What was Porsche's rationale for hybrid drivetrains, anyway? He thought super-tanks were going to be metaphorically huge, and knew hybrid drivetrains were the one practical drive system? BRB, I want to see if I can find out what the drivetrain of those giant-rear end wheel excavators are like-

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Apparently there was some warning of the attack. A primitive radar station had been set up and spotted a huge blip, indicating a large number of incoming planes about 130 miles out. The lieutenant in charge thought it was a flight of incoming B-17s and told the operator not to worry about it.

It's a bit of a gently caress up, but it basically consisted of poor phone conversation and the Japanese coming in on almost exactly the same bearing the B17's actually came in on.

What in my mind was the really negligent thing is that at 6:30 there's a destroyer attacking a mini-sub in Pearl Harbour bay and this somehow does not result in the Fleet being put on alert.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hawgh posted:

True that. My favourite professor was Czech. Although his last name was "Serbian". Not as in, etymology. His name literally meant Serbian.

I wonder what are the odds of his surname being the result of Habsburg shenanigans, since the Habsburgs loving loved simultaneously not giving a gently caress about their subjects' identities and enforcing the naming that resulted from bureaucratic fuckups. A bunch of Roma, Serbs, and some Croats were picked up from Habsburg Croatia and settled all over modern day Czech Republic after being forcibly given the surname "Croat" to keep the bureaucracy simple, and it's quite possible that something similar happened to your professor's ancestors, except they got tagged "Serbian". (Or I could be horribly wrong, of course) My family (Serbs) were recorded as Vlachs (ethnic group related to Romanians) for quite a while after fleeing from the Ottoman Empire to the Habsburg Empire because "Vlach" was also a general slur for Orthodox Christians and nobody important gave enough of a poo poo to correct the error. Hell, while the "Croats" fighting with Hey Gal's dudes were indeed mostly actual Croats, any light cav dudes from the Balkans would get stuck with the name. My condolences to anyone trying to figure that mess out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How much work did mercenary companies put into taking care of their dead?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Hell, while the "Croats" fighting with Hey Gal's dudes were indeed mostly actual Croats
i don't think that's actually the case
i think it's just Imperial shorthand for "from there, mostly" "also fuzzy hats and tall boots"
the most famous one's from cyprus and i ran into a cousin of that guy who was busily plundering Mansfeld's estates--his name was Nelli Marzon, at least the German talking to him thought it was

fun Isolano story: so he takes an enemy's flag in combat, which is a huge deal, and presents it to Wallenstein himself. Wallenstein gives him 4,000 ducats on the spot and throws him a banquet. The next morning he rolls up--he's gambled all of it away over the night. So Wallenstein gives him two thousand more

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Again: Jadgpanther!

It was just SO COMPLECTED

What was Porsche's rationale for hybrid drivetrains, anyway? He thought super-tanks were going to be metaphorically huge, and knew hybrid drivetrains were the one practical drive system? BRB, I want to see if I can find out what the drivetrain of those giant-rear end wheel excavators are like-

The idea actually isn't bad. Having an electric motor drive your vehicle gives you a really fine amount of control over how much power you want to put out. You kind of don't want to do this in a tank, in the middle of a war, while copper is an extremely rare strategic resource that you're running out of.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Alchenar posted:

It's a bit of a gently caress up, but it basically consisted of poor phone conversation and the Japanese coming in on almost exactly the same bearing the B17's actually came in on.

What in my mind was the really negligent thing is that at 6:30 there's a destroyer attacking a mini-sub in Pearl Harbour bay and this somehow does not result in the Fleet being put on alert.

Yeah that was a huge fuckup. Even if you don't necessarily believe the dude, it's the kind of thing that's worth a bit more consideration.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

How much work did mercenary companies put into taking care of their dead?
if they die outside of combat, there's a moving little ritual in which the dead man is borne to the assembly place on a stretcher made of pikes.

if they die in combat, the part where you force the local civilians to bury them, anonymous and naked, is optional. you can also just leave

unless they're famous, people go to huge efforts to take care of the bodies of the famous dead. Gustavus Adolphus was embalmed and borne to stockholm in some big convoy, Wallenstein took Pappenheim to Prague with him, and there's a memoir of an Oberstin (an Oberst's wife, you call them by the female form of their husband's title) whose husband died in one of the Northern Wars and she drove to get his body, in winter, and bring him back. one of her sons died on the trip "when all of his teeth erupted at once."

edit: that last chick's in Davis's Women at the Margins, if you care to read about her

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 8, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kafouille posted:

It would certainly have been cheaper, but at that point it's a whole new tank and you're taking the very same development risks you had with the Panther, with the same risks one of the cost-engineered components is going to be flawed in a way you didn't anticipate and bring down the thing. The reason something like a Sherman was reliable was not that it was 30 tons, the reason it's reliable is that by 1944 US Ordnance had spent years testing and refining the components that got into it in relative peace and quiet.

Don't forget the T-34 which had many an issue when it was first being produced, but they were able to hammer out the problems while having a good armor layout. The Pz IV was similar, minus the angled armour. The Panther was supposed to replace it while providing a good "base" for future work, which obviously never worked out because of a flawed design decision.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HEY GAL posted:

one of her sons died on the trip "when all of his teeth erupted at once."

Is this a period-specific description of something or some superstition? Or is it a terrifying disease I've never heard of? Or did he do battle with The Mountain?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is this a period-specific description of something or some superstition? Or is it a terrifying disease I've never heard of? Or did he do battle with The Mountain?
i have no loving clue what most of these people are talking about when they talk about medicine

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

My first thought was that his gums suddenly start bleeding from scurvy or similar.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

if they die in combat, the part where you force the local civilians to bury them, anonymous and naked, is optional. you can also just leave

There's the ritual Stealing Of The Boots, isn't there?
(also, teeth)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nothing to seehere posted:

My first thought was that his gums suddenly start bleeding from scurvy or similar.

Or maybe an abscess, given the state of dental hygiene in that era.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

scurvy makes sense, it was winter and i think she was Prussian or from somewhere horrible like that

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The idea actually isn't bad. Having an electric motor drive your vehicle gives you a really fine amount of control over how much power you want to put out. You kind of don't want to do this in a tank, in the middle of a war, while copper is an extremely rare strategic resource that you're running out of.

I maintain turboelectric drive for ships is very cool and pretty good, but tanks don't benefit from fine subdivision and spin up their engines in times measured with smaller units than minutes. Even then it's heavy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

What's almost always forgotten about this incident is that the fighter direction system Lieutenant Tyler was a part of was so skeletal (it was still being put together, and Tyler's instructions for that night were basically to sit on his rear end by the phone with no guidance about what to do in a Real Emergency) that there was nobody for Tyler to actually report to even if he had known it was an incoming Japanese raid. To send out a warning, he would have had to cold call senior officers on a Sunday morning and hope they actually listened to him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can almost give those Swedes a pass since I was thinking this was the first time they'd ever bagged a lion, but then I remembered the Swedes hosed England up for a couple centuries.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't forget the T-34 which had many an issue when it was first being produced, but they were able to hammer out the problems while having a good armor layout. The Pz IV was similar, minus the angled armour. The Panther was supposed to replace it while providing a good "base" for future work, which obviously never worked out because of a flawed design decision.

The T-50 would be a good comparison to the Panther. It was super duper compared to all other light tanks of the era, but really complicated and prone to hilarious failures like driving so fast that its tracks disintegrate. However, instead of stubbornly trying to push it through for years and years, it was cancelled in 1942 and replaced with the T-60 that could be made at any car plant.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I can almost give those Swedes a pass since I was thinking this was the first time they'd ever bagged a lion, but then I remembered the Swedes hosed England up for a couple centuries.

Like, the Vikings? That's holding a grudge.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What's almost always forgotten about this incident is that the fighter direction system Lieutenant Tyler was a part of was so skeletal (it was still being put together, and Tyler's instructions for that night were basically to sit on his rear end by the phone with no guidance about what to do in a Real Emergency) that there was nobody for Tyler to actually report to even if he had known it was an incoming Japanese raid. To send out a warning, he would have had to cold call senior officers on a Sunday morning and hope they actually listened to him.

Yeah, it was also a temporary experimental setup and nobody really knew what they were doing with that new radar stuff. The guys who spotted the blip did so only because the truck to pick them up was late. Their training shift was technically over but they kept running just because there was nothing else to do.

Also, they had figured out the blip was big enough to be at least 50 planes - while only six B-17s that were due - but they thought it might be them since they didn't know how big of a blip a B-17 would make. They never passed the numbers estimate along, and thus the lieutenant had nothing to base his judgment on.

Then their truck finally arrived and they headed back to their base, only to learn of the attack once there. Only then did they put two and two together and realize what they'd seen.

So it's hard really to blame anybody, it's just unfortunate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, it was also a temporary experimental setup and nobody really knew what they were doing with that new radar stuff. The guys who spotted the blip did so only because the truck to pick them up was late. Their training shift was technically over but they kept running just because there was nothing else to do.

Also, they had figured out the blip was big enough to be at least 50 planes - while only six B-17s that were due - but they thought it might be them since they didn't know how big of a blip a B-17 would make. They never passed the numbers estimate along, and thus the lieutenant had nothing to base his judgment on.

Then their truck finally arrived and they headed back to their base, only to learn of the attack once there. Only then did they put two and two together and realize what they'd seen.

So it's hard really to blame anybody, it's just unfortunate.
Reminds me of something from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, really: "People who talk to themselves on the phone never learn anything to their advantage. Hello? Is that Arthur Dent? Ah, hello, yes. This is Arthur Dent speaking. The Earth blows up tomorrow -- no, don't hang up!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Like, the Vikings? That's holding a grudge.

I meant that they bagged a particular lion passant guardant.

then again it was the Normans who started that tradition so the joke falls apart

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

HEY GAL posted:

scurvy makes sense, it was winter and i think she was Prussian or from somewhere horrible like that
Did it say if it was an adult son or an infant? Eruption sounds like teething to me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Did it say if it was an adult son or an infant? Eruption sounds like teething to me.
it was a child and he was like...six or something, i thought it was something about baby teeth vs adult teeth

rip early modern german, the stats were against you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

it was a child and he was like...six or something, i thought it was something about baby teeth vs adult teeth

rip early modern german, the stats were against you

Maybe the kid was part volcano.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Maybe the kid was part volcano.

Check your geologically stable privilege

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Early tooth eruption is a thing that can happen, but it could be any number of things. Without any other information nutrition/infection is the most likely cause, but that's probably the assumption for most deaths in this period. The pre-antibiotic, pre-dentistry world had a lot of deaths due to dental abcesses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sarmhan posted:

Early tooth eruption is a thing that can happen, but it could be any number of things. Without any other information nutrition/infection is the most likely cause, but that's probably the assumption for most deaths in this period. The pre-antibiotic, pre-dentistry world had a lot of deaths due to dental abcesses.

Best answer to any question of cause of death before the 20th century is "Infection of something else" or "Disease." If one doesn't get you, the other will.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

To me it sounds like his teeth suddenly exploded out of his jaw at high velocity, killing him instantly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's not in Women in the Margins at all, where did I find this? Anyway, I got some details wrong.

The woman is Maria Cordula Freiin von Pranckh, and her word for what she wrote is Gedenkhbuch, commemorative book. In addition to talking about her life, she recorded all her family members' exact places and times of birth, so she could do their signs (which she did). She's not Prussian, she's Carinthian. Her husband, Gerhardt Johann von Pranckh, was shot during the Little Northern War. He died in Pomerania and she had him embalmed the day after he died--she wasn't looking for him, she had been there all along, because most military families travel together. She was bringing him home. She made the trip with her daughter and her son; the boy (Ferdinand, because of course) was 33 weeks and one day old when all his teeth erupted at once and he died. Gerhardt Johann was buried in the chapel of his regiment, next to the three children that predeceased him.

She was the godmother of 78 children in the regiment, and she listed all their names. She was very proud of this.

edit: JaucheCharly, as soon as i mentioned where this woman is from, you are now hearing her accent in your head

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 8, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

She was the godmother of 78 children in the regiment, and she listed all their names. She was very proud of this.

How much of this is respect and how much pragmatism (make the person most likely to have some money the kid's godmother)?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

How much of this is respect and how much pragmatism (make the person most likely to have some money the kid's godmother)?
she's the wife of the regiment's proprietor. (1) it's respect (2) they probably lend money to the soldiers anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

PittTheElder posted:

What were the Soviets doing/omitting that was making their tanks so much lighter?
They didn't make their tank xbox huege:

Taerkar posted:

The M26 has more armor protection in general. The sides are about 50% thicker and the frontal aspect is mostly same or better.

The M26's main deficiency was in the engine.
Actually over rough terrain the M26 Pershing has the same mobility as the M4 Sherman thanks to it's new transmission.

T___A fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread